Nose in or nose out?

Unless there's some rule on the campus that you must park nose in, I agree with the parents.

I still say it's safer/easier to pull forward OUT of a parking space than it is to back out of a parking space. Now, people not looking before they pull out I don't think matters whether they're backing or going forward. :P
Have you seen some people try to back into spaces? LOL Sadly, there are too many that are horrible at it and it is in fact safer for THEM to go nose in.

An update from Coffee and Cars today that I have never noticed before. The people with classic cars with the engines in front park nose out. The people with classic Volkswagens, Porsches and Corvairs (those would be cars with rear engines for you kids) park nose in. So the norm technically is "engine out"photo.jpg

I figure there's already enough inane threads going, what's one more?

For those of you who drive... what's your preferred parking style (in lots)? Nose in? Nose out? Nose out only if you can pull through? I'd say 95% of the time, I'm nose out. Backing in doesn't bother me. And I feel it's SO much safer when leaving the spot.
At work, I'm nose out so I can get out as quickly as possible lol. Most other places I'm nose in, unless the parking is super tight or awkward. At the grocery store I try to remember to always be nose in so I can access my trunk easily.

I got into a fender bender once because of this. The car ahead of me pulled into a parking space nose first so I continued moving forward to find a space farther down the lot. As soon as the driver got the car in the space, he began backing out in order to back into the space opposite it and collided with me. I wish there was a signal or something people could do to let you know they intend to back into a space.
There is a signal. When one puts a car in reverse, two white lights illuminate to let you know they are backing up. :confused3

Pulling straight into a space with the intention of backing out, across the drive lane, and backing into the space on that side is quite weird to me.

And I don't know how that would be your fault at all.

This is another of those threads that could easily be a Seinfeld episode. "She's a Nose-Outer, Jerry!" "I could never date a Nose-Outer. Not unless they pull through!" "My uncle got into a terrible accident because he was a Nose-Outer." "Awww. What happened to him?" "He pulled through."

Unless there's some rule on the campus that you must park nose in, I agree with the parents.

I still say it's safer/easier to pull forward OUT of a parking space than it is to back out of a parking space. Now, people not looking before they pull out I don't think matters whether they're backing or going forward. :P
There is a rule, due to the fact that the parking attendants need to scan license plates which serve as paid parking permits. Here in NJ our vehicles are required to have front and rear plates but that’s not the case everywhere.

I always reverse park - it's how we're taught to drive here. Safer to drive out than reverse out of a spot where you have limited visibility. In our car parks you'd probably find it's an 80/20 split - most people reverse into a space. We also all have front and rear plates on our cars.

Does anyone use the park assist feature in their car?

My car will both parallel park or back into a parking space.

I have tested both and they work, albeit slowly. I can get into a space much faster than the car. As a result I never use the feature.

Pulling straight into a space with the intention of backing out, across the drive lane, and backing into the space on that side is quite weird to me.
I feel that's weird also. It shouldn't be difficult to pull immediately past the spot you want to back into, then back into it. It is a skill that needs practiced, but so is parallel parking.

The sight line when leaving the spot if you're nose out is just SO much better. Sure, newer cars have the wide angle cameras and sensors, but they're still in the minority.

nose in- no safety issue at all backing out with the back up cameras that are on every car now.
They're on MOST (probably not all) cars sold within the last 5 years or so. There's still a LOT (the majority?) of cars on the road that don't have those features.

They're on MOST (probably not all) cars sold within the last 5 years or so. There's still a LOT (the majority?) of cars on the road that don't have those features.
Regulated in 2014 I believe. My daughter didn't have a backup camera because her Camry was built in December 2013. January it was changed to model year 2014.5 because it needed to have a backup camera.

But you are correct, there are plenty prior to backup cameras out there.

As always however, it's the nut behind the wheel that is where the buck stops at what is safe. People blasting out nose first "because it's safe" to park that way is far less safe than me inching out backwards and looking and paying attention.

Regulated in 2014 I believe. My daughter didn't have a backup camera because her Camry was built in December 2013. January it was changed to model year 2014.5 because it needed to have a backup camera.

But you are correct, there are plenty prior to backup cameras out there.

As always however, it's the nut behind the wheel that is where the buck stops at what is safe. People blasting out nose first "because it's safe" to park that way is far less safe than me inching out backwards and looking and paying attention.
Back up cameras were required in new cars sold May 1st 2018. Many manufacturers had all their models ready much earlier than that though.

We usually just pull in nose in. I will pull through when I can and will look for spots to pull through. Dh won't on angled spots because he thinks it's harder to turn out the one way out. And we don't usually back in, nose out, because it takes longer and we have to hold up others trying to pass by. We are in busy areas (both places we live) and so there are always a ton of cars around us and it irritates us when we have to wait for some big ol' truck to back into a spot and takes them 3 adjustments. I do try to back into our garage as long as there isn't any cars trying to drive by behind me.

Last edited:
People blasting out nose first "because it's safe" to park that way is far less safe than me inching out backwards and looking and paying attention.
And people blasting out tail first is better when they can't see as well? Got it. I mean OBVIOUSLY everyone here is a safe driver.

We usually just pull in nose in. I will pull through when I can and will look for spots to pull through. Dh won't on angled spots because he thinks it's harder to turn out the one way out. And we don't usually back in, nose out, because it takes longer and we have to hold up others trying to pass by. We are in busy areas (both places we live) and so there are always a ton of cars around us and it irritates us when we have to wait for some big ol' truck to back into a spot and takes them 3 adjustments. I do try to back into our garage as long as there isn't any cars trying to drive by behind me.
I would never even attempt backing into my garage, but thankfully I don't have any reason to (plenty of driveway to back into, turn 90 degrees, and leave my driveway nose first). My car is small and I still only have a couple inches of clearance on either side of my mirrors going through the door. My garage is tight.

Does anyone use the park assist feature in their car?

My car will both parallel park or back into a parking space.

I have tested both and they work, albeit slowly. I can get into a space much faster than the car. As a result I never use the feature.

Would have been a waste of money for me, I don't go many places with parallel parking. I think in the two plus years we have had our Camry I parallel parked once. My wife and daughter were shocked that SOMEHOW i managed to park on the first attempt, flawlessly I will add. I was shocked to be honest. I live in the suburbs, every place I go has acres of free parking. Everyplace I have ever worked had acres of free parking including places I worked downtown.
Our Camry does have the lane departure option, but the way they paint up surface streets here, it is often confused. And we have adaptive cruise control, that takes some getting used to and has sparked some debate with my son and his father in law. I have it set to leave 6 car length's space at 70 mph. They say it should be 2 car lengths! I was taught 1 car length for every 10 miles of hour of speed. But they live in Los Angeles, although my son did fess up that he had gotten pulled over and got a warning for following too close on the freeway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter