• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nose in or nose out?

Nose in allows easy trunk/hatch access for items to be placed into vehicle. Nose in ALSO provides a fisheye view from rear camera for a long distance from spot AND crossing sensors to warn of approaching vehicle that can not be seen from driver's seat until front windshield is past cars/trucks parked on either side resulting in front of car extended into flow of traffic.

Nose straight in. I never back in. And to pull through, I only do it when I'm the lone car. Any other cars I back out even if I can pull through.

Nothing drives me crazier in a parking lot than walking and pushing my cart full of groceries when suddenly a car appears and shoots out of what was an empty parking spot. Most people I see pulling through don't seem to look at all.

It's also an issue when a car is coming and turns in to park in an empty spot, then suddenly halfway in, there's a car coming through. I can't believe there isn't crashes in this manner with everyone who pulls through.

Another reason is that I've driven manual all my life. Even this car now, which is the first car I've purchased for myself (plenty for the wife back then) that is somewhat an automatic. It's dual clutch so there are similarities in how it moves to a manual.

When backing out with a regular automatic, you have to place the foot you use to stop on another pedal that isn't the pedal used to brake. Once moving, you have to brake an auto to stop compared to how I back out with manual.

A manual, starting to engage the clutch, the car will move. It will stop moving when you disengage again. So, I'm backing out an inch at a time until I can see. The last car I had, the rear backup camera was wide enough I could see everything within 3 or 4 parked cars on either side. I think I could see a corner of the 4th cars. Even releasing the clutch fully without throttle, the car moves at a snails pace at idle and as soon as you disengage again, it will stop. No throttle then having to move your foot to grab the brake if needed. It is more complicated than with a clutch.

Far easier to back out with a manual than an auto.

Nose in I guess in terms of the description. In terms of pulling through I do that as well in non-angled spots. The thing is you still have to be careful just as backing out is you may not be able to see your surroundings. Just because you get to continue on straight don't just proceed forward, inch yourself forward like you would backing out and looking around. Seen enough times where people are dangerously close to hitting pedestrians or other vehicles just driving down/up the aisle because they think "oh I can just drive on straight" yeah..but you still need to look, proceed slowly and then get out.

Too many people just push the gas pulling out or going forward. I also drive a tiny car so I'm used to not having visibility due to cars next to me. Our next car will likely be an suv so I'll have to remember my surroundings a lot being in a bigger vehicle.

Sorry, should have specified... When you CANT pull through, why not back in? It sounds like others believe it's better to end up nose out, so why not do so whenever possible?
You could I guess, but technically in some parking lots backing in would require you to back against the flow of traffic to get into the parking spot.

It's also an issue when a car is coming and turns in to park in an empty spot, then suddenly halfway in, there's a car coming through. I can't believe there isn't crashes in this manner with everyone who pulls through.
Yeah you gotta be careful with that. If there's a crash it means both parties weren't paying attention though because one is barreling through to the other side and one is barreling into the parking spot.

Even with angled parking spots on one way aisles?
Generally no. I mentioned those earlier, except I called them diagonal spots. My regular grocery store has angled spots. I don’t back in if there’s no pull through, but there are pull through spots 90+% of the time.

Generally no. I mentioned those earlier, except I called them diagonal spots. My regular grocery store has angled spots. I don’t back in if there’s no pull through, but there are pull through spots 90+% of the time.
I see.

I am terrible at backing into spaces lol, so I go nose in. Even if there is an empty space in front of me I usually will not pull through because I need to access the trunk with a cart full of groceries. I pull through at work and at other places that pretty much require you to (concerts, sporting events, anything where they direct you to the next open parking spot).

Also, if parked nose in and the parking space in front of you opens up, make sure there’s no concrete parking block before you pull forward, haha.

I always reverse in to parking spaces. I like knowing that at the end of my visit anywhere, I can drive out easily, no matter how others have parked. Also, it is safer, I feel, when I let the dog out.

Depends on where I am. If I'm at work, I pull in as there is no pull thru and I hate backing into spaces. It is required when I drive the state vehicles for work and I absolutely SUCK at backing in between parked cars. It really freaks me out and all the state vehicles have rear cameras.

At the grocery store or Walmart I will look for a pull thru situation because they get very crowded and backing out is difficult as there is a lot of vehicles driving by and people walking about.

I always pull into the spot when shopping and easier access after shopping for loading. Some of my neighbors back into their driveway and never saw the point of that. You eventually go in reverse at some point to exit your house. Even with those exterior cameras there are still parts of the car hidden from view so I don't see that makes much of a difference. You still need to check around the vehicle to make sure you don't run over something whether pulling into your driveway or backing out.

I always reverse in to parking spaces. I like knowing that at the end of my visit anywhere, I can drive out easily, no matter how others have parked. Also, it is safer, I feel, when I let the dog out.
If you're reversing on a way one that means you're going the wrong way (as you're backing up), however briefly. I've seen some issues with that in parking lots where you really can't back into a spot because there's already cars behind going through the lane.

I can understand backing up into a spot but not on a one way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter