Non visible disabilities

Just another idea for the auto flush toilets, when we have to work around them in construction we keep heavy socks to put over them. Just wondering if you can ever get her near one again if decorating the sock a favorite character that is protecting her and have ear hearing protectors available for when you need to remove it.

bookwormde
I'm not picturing that. Could you explain a little more?

Most of the ones at WDW are almost flat to the wall with nothing sticking out more than a 1/4 inch or less.
One thing to be aware of though is that they do have a push button to flush the toilet in case the auto flush doesn't work. That also usually only sticks up 1/4 inch or so, but it's enough to trigger the flush even with a post it note if the button is leaned on.

Yes this does not work on the wall-mounted sensors, there tape is best, this works on the ones mounted directly to the valve (typically bout 3” diameter and 4” long).

bookwormde

I'm not picturing that. Could you explain a little more?

Most of the ones at WDW are almost flat to the wall with nothing sticking out more than a 1/4 inch or less.
One thing to be aware of though is that they do have a push button to flush the toilet in case the auto flush doesn't work. That also usually only sticks up 1/4 inch or so, but it's enough to trigger the flush even with a post it note if the button is leaned on.

http://www.airdelights.com/autoflush.html
Urinals would work with a sock over the sensor, lol.

Extremely AWESOME idea about the decorated sock to block the sensor!!! Wow. I love the positive spin of it & how it can turn a scary prospect into a safe one. Thank you, bookwormde. Actually went to the hardware store to buy the industrial ear (muffs? don't know what to call them) thingies that block noise just in case they are needed on our next trip. Hoping she has truly moved beyond the unexpected flush fear, but now have this idea in my arsenal if needed!

mechurchlady, I have gained a lot from your insights on the various threads & subjects & thank you for your honesty & enlightenment.

Disney magic is truly present on DISabilities!:wizard:
MUCH :love: to the Moderators and Posters.

Thank you so much for the replies. I just love the DIS! Everyone here is so helpful and understanding. I know I need to do what is best for my dd but it is also nice to hear from others who may be experienceing the same things. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for the replies. I just love the DIS! Everyone here is so helpful and understanding. I know I need to do what is best for my dd but it is also nice to hear from others who may be experienceing the same things. :goodvibes

One of the good things about this forum is the moderator's actively post regularly and take part in most of the thread discussions, you don't necessarily see that in some of the other forums.
They are also extremely knowledgable and helpful.

I have spent more time on this forum recently, to be honest it is now the first one I look at, as my son has got older I appreciate the fact that people on this section of the DIS actually understand more, mainly because we share the same or similar experiences.

Our son has autism and is nine years old. There is a very informative sticky on this topic from the moderator I highly recommend you read it.

We get the benefit of the Guest Assistance Card and it helps us in sticky situations where the wait time is very long (beyond thirty minutes).

On our recent trips, we have heard passersby make unsolicited comments on why this and why that?

We rented strollers up until my son was eight and yes, we got looks and comments but I only cared about making my son happy and comfortable.

You have to ignore these people because they are obviously people who don't know any better. It takes someone to have walked a similar path to develop that certain empathy. Just move on.

We take the attitude that we are at Disney for a vacation and a good time, and we are fortunate that Disney recognizes our son's diagnosis and makes some allowances to make things a little smoother for him and us.

Do what you have to do and forget about other people.

And, have a great vacation, you deserve it.:santa:

I know that quite a few of you mentioned that you may wear buttons/tee-shirts, etc to help spread awareness while on your upcoming vacations and thought I would share what we have decided to do. On the AutismSpeaks.org website there is a baseball hat we have purchased for our son to wear :http://events.autismspeaks.org/site...kJSJXNFIjIXI5OKIgJVK9PVItJ9H&ProductID=575870 and a button http://events.autismspeaks.org/site...kJSJXNFIjIXI5OKIgJVK9PVItJ9H&ProductID=564763 for him to wear on his jacket.

I can completely relate to all of your stories about siblings and other children who can be so cruel. My son really has not friends and this didn't bother him until the last couple of years. He tells me that everyone things he is strange and weird. I really wish that parents would educate their children and teach them that they shouldn't judge other kids. It just breaks my heart when he tells me that they kids think he is weird and that they won't talk to him. I only have one friend who really understands as she also has a child on the spectrum to it is nice to be able to read your thoughts and suggestions. Makes me feel not so alone in this journey.

Thank you all for sharing, I really appreciate it.

Ronda

HI,
We just returned from 8 fabulous days at WDW with our daughter and our son who has autism. This was the first trip where we used the GAC and it was a true Godsend. It was easy, discreet and the CM were fantastic at all the parks. It was our best trip ever. Because of his ASD, he is limited in the number of rides he will ride. Dad to take him on rides while his sister and I hit the roller coasters.

He does get many advantages in life because of his autism, but at WDW he did. It was a very magical week for all of us.

I do want to say that some of the lines did not accommodate strollers or wheelchairs, so I cannot comment on how those worked with the GAC, maybe an alternate entrance, but many did accommodate the stroller of a GAC guest, ECV or wheelchair right up to the ride.

The was our 3rd trip and the first time we actually used the GAC. Never again will we go without it.

As for other people, there are some who make comments even about people with visible disabilities, so don't worry that your daughter's disability is invisible. You know what she needs, and that's what's important.

I absolutely agree! There will always be people who have comments to make, something to say, regardless if there is a visible or not visible disability or no disabilities at all when they are in public. I always have to remember to think to myself that it is absolutely NOT worth wasting your energy and time (or raising your blood pressure) over this and do what you paid a large amount of money and planned for so long: Enjoy your vacation and spend time with your loved ones! The most important thing is to see your child smile and laugh and enjoy themselves! :hug:

Now that our trip is getting close, I've started thinking about how I will deal with any comments. Do I ignore, or answer? I've heard some people have answers like "I'll trade - you take the autism, I'll take your spot in line" and things like that. I'm not a confrontational person, but comments about my son will get me angry.

He has a hand flapping dance that he does when he gets really excited. I suspect we'll be seeing it a LOT at WDW, so that should make his disability a little more "visible." I try to keep him calm, but you know what, I think I'll let him dance and flap as much as he wants!!!!

He's really looking forward to the trip. He didn't want to get a haircut a couple of weeks ago (his Pop-Pop took him). Well, Pop-Pop told him that if he didn't get a haircut, he couldn't go to Disney World. Bam - right out of the car and right into the salon!

He has a hand flapping dance that he does when he gets really excited. I suspect we'll be seeing it a LOT at WDW, so that should make his disability a little more "visible." I try to keep him calm, but you know what, I think I'll let him dance and flap as much as he wants!!!!

I think that's a great way to show joy! The rest of us are all too reserved IMHO! :)

I think that's a great way to show joy! The rest of us are all too reserved IMHO! :)

Agreed - sometimes I will do the "Shawn" dance when I'm really happy too! Not a care in the world, everything is great! We should all get to live our lives like that for just one day :goodvibes

Now that our trip is getting close, I've started thinking about how I will deal with any comments. Do I ignore, or answer? I've heard some people have answers like "I'll trade - you take the autism, I'll take your spot in line" and things like that. I'm not a confrontational person, but comments about my son will get me angry.

Know what you mean and feel exactly the same way, it's natural to protect our children especially if like in our instance our son is unable to respond, or understand the nature of what is being said.

What my reaction will be if I have a situation to cope with I don't know - I would like to think it would be as friendly as I could make it.
It is something that sometimes is difficult to just ignore.

As we have all said 'we know best' :)

Agreed - sometimes I will do the "Shawn" dance when I'm really happy too! Not a care in the world, everything is great! We should all get to live our lives like that for just one day :goodvibes

My youngest brother did the same dance when he was little! I can just picture it now. When I'm really happy, I feel like doing the "Jack dance." :goodvibes

We didn't have a single person look at us funny or say anything. Not that I noticed at all, and I woulda noticed. ;) Even those notoriously cranky people at the Orlando airport were fairly pleasant.

Justin did quite a bit of flapping during the trip, and I do think that is one of the behaviors that most of the general public recognize as "what autism looks like". Even some of the more odd things- like finding a life vest at POP to fit him, the lifeguard had to go get one for me since the only ones in the bin were toddler-size, and it didn't seem to phase them in the least to be asked. Using the GAC is so discreet and not like you have a flashing sign over your head, we got what we needed with no one the wiser. Shoot, Justin never even realized what was going on, and it took Richard at least a day before he realized that we were being handled differently. My DH (who is not a DISser) I don't think quite understood the GAC until we got going the first day and then he was pretty shocked at how thoughtful it was.

I think it's the most "normal" our family has ever been, or I guess more like we could just be who we are and it didn't matter, which is probably why Disney is such a destination for families with special needs kids. I honestly felt like I could ask a CM for almost anything and they'd do their best to help.

That is the word I was looking for to discribe the GAC, it is discrete. So glad that you had a great trip and I will await a trip report with lots of food included. Isnt amazing how we fret before an event then afterwards look back and laugh. Hugs from Laurie.

We didn't have a single person look at us funny or say anything. Not that I noticed at all, and I woulda noticed. ;) Even those notoriously cranky people at the Orlando airport were fairly pleasant.

I think it's the most "normal" our family has ever been, or I guess more like we could just be who we are and it didn't matter, which is probably why Disney is such a destination for families with special needs kids. I honestly felt like I could ask a CM for almost anything and they'd do their best to help.

That's great to know Becky and gives us all more confidence for our next visit - ours is getting closer now, 7th April :)

As we have all said we don't want to make a fuss, just have an enjoyable holiday.

i have to admit i was a little bit disappointed in disney this last time, in handling the "just wheelchair" people. This may be due to the increasing number of "just scooter" people, who they assume can make their own way places and transfer with ease. for instance, i transferred at Candlelight Processional so people who could not transfer could have a spot. i told them my wheelchair would have to take me to the end of the row and then have it come back to me, but my family could go get it. basically i didnt need a CM to do anything for me. then they moved my wc all the way to the back of the theatre and told me i would have to walk a few hundred feet through a mob to get there... this was not an option as my left leg would not support weight. the CMs were less than helpful, even rude, as if "just wheelchair" did not need as much assistance. they all expected me to walk much longer distances than they did before. again, i wonder if the increase in scooters is causing them to think that ALL people with wheels have the ability to get up and walk as far as needed...

We just got back from the World a week ago. Once again, we used the GAC with our Stroller = Wheelchair to help my dd4 who also has "invisible" disabilities.

Honestly, if we got stares or rude comments, I was never aware of it. I was too busy enjoying the Magic with my daughter to be aware of anybody else.

If they are that "jealous" that we might have gotten through the line faster, then we can trade worlds. Perhaps they will discover the joy of what it is like to learn that your daughter has brain damage.

Hmmm.... I'd gladly switch them and stick in the longer line any day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter