Non visible disabilities

on each image at the top is a list of tabs
Click on the edit tab.
It will be set for Basic editting tab.
Click on resize tab which is sort of in the middle.

Preset is for quick sizing.

345 x 458 is where you can change the numbers like 245 x 345 would make that image smaller and 534 x 909 would make it longer.

There is a toggle bar and you can switch to percentage but i like the pixels.

Click cancel or close the window or go to someplace else to end you work. You must click on the apply button to make it work.

NOTE: when uploading to photobucket you can choose the size.

image005.jpg

Voila and they have some fun stuff to do which now has me playing with photobucket.

With all the posters on here who have autistic kids, I have a question. My son is 6 and has Aspergers. He is very outgoing and talks well. Outwardly, you'd never guess he has a problem until you talk to him for more than a few minutes or put him a crowded, kid-filled noisy room. We are going in December (14-19) and I was thinking of asking the Dr. for a note to get a GAC but only getting one if it's super crowded. Is that bad? Most of the time he's OK in lines, but crowds can make him gaga. I like to help him live "in the real world", but I hate to fry his brain. How else do you use your GAC with your ASD kids?

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

You do not need anything written for a GAC.

However, I would suggest you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Post #6 deals extensively with GACs.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

With all the posters on here who have autistic kids, I have a question. My son is 6 and has Aspergers. He is very outgoing and talks well. Outwardly, you'd never guess he has a problem until you talk to him for more than a few minutes or put him a crowded, kid-filled noisy room. We are going in December (14-19) and I was thinking of asking the Dr. for a note to get a GAC but only getting one if it's super crowded. Is that bad? Most of the time he's OK in lines, but crowds can make him gaga. I like to help him live "in the real world", but I hate to fry his brain. How else do you use your GAC with your ASD kids?

Don't wait until you need a GAC to get one. Life will be a lot easier and you'll all be happier if you get one as soon as you arrive at the parks. That way, you'll already have it if you need it, and you can decide if and when you want to use it. My DD11's limit for waiting for a ride is about 30 minutes. Any more than that, and we use Fastpasses or our GAC. I also use the GAC for autograph lines. DD11 wants autographs, but not enough to wait in line for 45 minutes or an hour, and she'll just leave the line and go "wherever," while DD7 is standing in line crying b/c she still wants to wait to get the autographs. So, we can use the GAC to help with the situation (PM me if you want more info about that), and both girls are happy. Remember, your DS's real world is a lot different from other people's "real world" and you have the right to have an enjoyable vacation (this will also help other people have a more enjoyable vacation, too, IFKWIM :rolleyes: ). Good luck! Have a great trip! Don't forget the earplugs and sense of humor!

We are strongly considering wearing 'something' for our next holiday along the Autism Awareness lines.
Never have done before but we are thinking now maybe the time is right to, the reluctance comes mainly as we don't want to be thought of as different to anyone else, we want to queue for rides and just enjoy ourselves like everyone is doing.

I think anything we can do now though to get the message across is a good thing.

I agree. Plus I think the more we are willing to "shout it from the rooftops", then the more society will see they can fit in, too. My DS is 13, so he was in the early wave - the one where you hid from society. There was barely treatment, it was "he has autism - goodbye". We were treated like we should be ashamed of him. Now I want to advocate, to make it easier for him and for people to look at him with understanding, not confusion. So sharing his condition to strangers is a good thing, as long as you're willing to make that "leap." I love him and am proud of his accomplishments. He's sweet and loving and fun to be with. He's not scary, or creepy, even though he may swing around wildly, wiggle his fingers in front of his eyes, or repeat everything you say. :)

The puzzle ribbons are nice, but I don't think everyone understands them. I like the idea of a button or something.

I have no hesitation on the GAC. Nothing to be ashamed of, and possibly the only thing that will make the trip doable for our family.

Thanks for the advice. I am the only one with an ASD kid in my "circle" of friends and to say that I am a lonely gal is an understatement. I love my son, but my life can be just mindnumbing sometimes because of him. I just had to ask on the PP site if you can see the Eiffel Tower from Le Chefs de France because DS is so fixated on it. (No, you can't-total bummer). How many times has DD (8) been left crying in a line because DS couldn't handle it? I can't even count that far...You're right. So I just go to guest services and ask for a card? I don't need to show anything?

Thanks for the support. I guess I am one of those "hide it" people when maybe I shouldn't be. Adults love my son- he is great. But other kids are so hateful, and my son is just so kind he doesn't get why they don't like him. But when he tells a group of boys he's a pink poodle who lives in the Eiffel Tower, they just laugh. http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/confused24.gif
:confused3

So I just go to guest services and ask for a card? I don't need to show anything?
You don't need to show anything.
Some people do feel more secure/comfortable requesting a GAC if they have something from the doctor. But, the CMs will not (can not) ask to see it and may not want to look at it even if you show it.
You do need to explain a bit about the child's needs. If you are unsure what your child will have problems with, some people in the past have not gotten a GAC right away, but have waited until after they experienced some attractions. You don't want to get to the point of a melt down, but if you are really unsure what difficulties your child may have, going on a few attractions will help you.

Also, being able to use a GAC for character interactions, like autographs is variable. We (and a number of other people) have been told that the GAC is not used for character interactions. If you need assistance for those, ask the CM at the entrance to the line.

I agree. Get it when you arrive. If you don't need it, you don't need it. However, there is a good chance, Murphy's Law, that you'll figure out that you need it at the same time you are on the exact opposite side of the park, the furthest distance, from Guest Relations. :confused3 And if you are doing more than one day, maybe one park you won't need it, but the next day you'll land in a much more crowded situation.

We mostly did character meals, so the kids got the meets but we didn't have to wait in line. We only did character line-ups twice. The first time we just happened onto Pooh and Tigger in the UK with only a couple people in line. The other time was at DHS w/ Buzz and Woody, and we kinda fluked into that, we did have to wait in line but we were there at their arrival, so the line wasn't too long. The character meals are the way to go if you want the meet and greet without the wait.

How many times has DD (8) been left crying in a line because DS couldn't handle it? I can't even count that far...

Don't you just hate this for your DD? The same thing has happened to us. I feel so bad for my DD7 sometimes. She's really had to grow up a lot faster than my DD11 (my Aspie kid). She just readily accepts being her sister's "keeper" at times, keeping an eye on her when I'm in line at a store or something. I try to make some special times for her, since she seems to get the "leftovers" sometimes, when I need to spend so much time with her sister. I really appreciate the fact that she's so mature and understanding, but I like to give her time to still be a little girl.

Don't you just hate this for your DD? The same thing has happened to us. I feel so bad for my DD7 sometimes. She's really had to grow up a lot faster than my DD11 (my Aspie kid). She just readily accepts being her sister's "keeper" at times, keeping an eye on her when I'm in line at a store or something. I try to make some special times for her, since she seems to get the "leftovers" sometimes, when I need to spend so much time with her sister. I really appreciate the fact that she's so mature and understanding, but I like to give her time to still be a little girl.

I think that's the hardest part of having a kid on the spectrum - the other kid(s). Right now DD is totally intolerant of her brother's behavior. She just doesn't understand it. I know this trip will be a total juggling act with accommodating him, while giving her the opportunity to have fun and be a regular kid. That's why we are happy to be staying on site, so one parent can take him back to the room and not make our daughter give up her fun.

This is a great thread and makes us all feel uplifted when we read it.

I don't know how much this helps, but re: the siblings, Disney was quite possibly the only time I've seen our oldest feel good about the youngest's autism. Usually it's like you two have described, plus a typical big brother/ little brother conflict.

Anyway, I didn't make a big deal about the GAC, and I don't think Justin ever really understood the difference, but it didn't take Richard too long to realize that we were "handled" differently. And I'll leave it at that.

From the perspective of a 10-year-old, it was the first time that his brother's autism had been helpful to him.

The only time we had a problem with it was at a restaurant, not an attraction, and was about the food allergies. It was at Liberty Tree Tavern, Richard of course got the same dishes to share just like DH and I did, and uh, the "allergy plate" looked better to him than our food did. :rolleyes1 Which I'd have to agree, but we couldn't do anything about it.

I, too, feel bad sometimes for DD in having to deal with her brother. I hear a lot of "He's so embarrassing!" But she also is so responsible compared to kids her age (8) and I really trust her to make good decisions compared to other kids. She has a steady calendar of playdates and sleepovers, not only because she's a cool kid, but because she won't burn the house down. She's always been a little Type A, so maybe having her DB like he is is the best thing. She can play school with him for hours and I swear she was the one that taught him to read (don't tell the Special Ed teachers!)

I always try to do WDW and other places with 2 adults, in case I need to let DS have a break. But in general, everyone gets along great if I plan very heavily.

Also, I tried standing in one character line (Ariel's Grotto, a.k.a. the Gate to Hell) once with both kids and I nearly lost it. No more- if they want characters, we have character dining. The end. They invented the Deluxe Dining plan for people like us...

My son , who has autism, is a healthy 9 year old, who has no visible disability to the casual observer.
Luckily ,so far, we have not had to use the GAC but always have it with us. I bought a clear nametag holder on a lanyard at Staples and we put it in that in plain sight.

I also have ordered some "autism" buttons and stickers from www.cafepress.com. The have a huge selection of Autism tshirts, buttons and stickers that are great for wearing at WDW. Just put autism in the search engine on the main page.

I also printed up some business cards that explains his issues. We use these at some restaurants like 50's Prime, where he likes to watch the interaction but is not comfortable being included. I also use these sometimes to hand CM at rides and this has worked out great. Once they try to talk to him, his disability is apparent.

My dd has Asperger's, ADHD, and GAD and Epilepsy. I was wondering what you put on your buisness cards. We are going to get a GAC but my dd can still get a little rude and loud while waiting in line (Telling others to hurry up, can we go now, etc). We are thinking about renting a special needs stroller because she does get tired and really cranky when she is. Also if she has a seizure she needs to rest. She is a short 12 yr old and we have rented a disney stoller in the past but she is too big now. If we do rent one I think that it would help her to wait longer in lines if she has a stroller. Has anyone used the stroller to help with waiting in lines? Or is that frowned upon and we should use the GAC and wait in another area? She is one that will tell us to skip a ride even if it is her favorite if the line is too long. I think mainly because of Anxiety. I would hate for her to miss out on things she loves. I am worried about people saying something to us because she does look completly healthy. We have not been in a couple of years so I am not sure how she will be this trip. Thank you so much!

Has anyone used the stroller to help with waiting in lines? Or is that frowned upon and we should use the GAC and wait in another area? She is one that will tell us to skip a ride even if it is her favorite if the line is too long. I think mainly because of Anxiety. I would hate for her to miss out on things she loves. I am worried about people saying something to us because she does look completly healthy. We have not been in a couple of years so I am not sure how she will be this trip. Thank you so much!
If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, post #2 has information about renting special needs strollers (it's toward the end of that post).

Post #6 of that thread has information about GACs. One part of that thread is about using a stroller as a wheelchair, which is what it is called when you use a stroller in lines. Most lines are wheelchair accessible, so the stroller will have no problem fitting. In many situations, the stroller cab be used right up until boarding. For some people, being able to use the stroller as a wheelchair makes a very big difference. It can act as a 'safe place' for someone with anxiety or sensory issues.

As for other people, there are some who make comments even about people with visible disabilities, so don't worry that your daughter's disability is invisible. You know what she needs, and that's what's important.

I'm really appreciating this thread....all the comments/stories.....sweet, painful; very, very familiar. Thanks to all who are sharing here.

We found out the first time we took our DD to WDW that the automatic flushing toilets might prevent us from going again. At that point the noise plus the unexpected flushing due to her child-size was just too much. She literally wet her pants a few times rather than even enter a restroom. I posted here & received so many terrific ideas! (Putting Post-It notes over the sensors was the #1 recommendation, BTW. It did not work for us because she was so terrified she would not go near a public toilet.) I eventually found that she would be able to use a round styrofoam (disposable) bait bucket. There are similar items made of plastic in the camping section for toileting. Ended up buying a stack of these from a sporting goods store---1 for each day of trip. We would go to the family restroom for privacy & no chance that a toilet would randomly flush. She was able to use the substitute loo while out & I could rinse it out after each use and then store it in a large bag and keep it with the stroller, then dispose of it when we returned to the hotel for the final time each day. She was able to use the hotel room toilet because it had a "handle" flush she knew was "safe". Hope this story didn't gross anyone out. You never know when someone else is facing something you've dealt with and could benefit from hearing how you handled it. She eventually overcame that terror but even now will look closely at a toilet and ask me to block the sensor if it is that type.

:grouphug: to everyone here with visible and invisible differences and their families and friends!

Thank you so much for your post curemyreed and I do remember that thread. I am glad to hear that she is able to use the restroom finally. Also you have come up with a solution for those few kids who will not use a public restroom. It aint gross but is in fact what makes this board so special. Special as people share tricks and tips that work for them like covering the sensor on the flush toilet. I will try to remember the bait bucket trick, lol, what ever works.:confused3

Big hugs and thanks for the update. Today I was wondering about some posts and what ever happened.:hug:

Just another idea for the auto flush toilets, when we have to work around them in construction we keep heavy socks to put over them. Just wondering if you can ever get her near one again if decorating the sock a favorite character that is protecting her and have ear hearing protectors available for when you need to remove it.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter