Non-Home Resort Availability

Shorter requests usually fill before longer stays. So if you have two nights before you can't find an open night and three nights after, just book the missing night. It would be a lot quicker coming through than six nights in a row. It will not only look for your missing nights. It will look for all the nights you requested. This is Disney IT after all. ......(snip)........

I'm not DIsney IT's biggest fan either, but I don't think they deserve this comment. This particular algorithm is done with intent.

The goal of the system is to fill rooms. It's better to allow available nights to be booked than to hold them back hoping to complete a reservation with nights missing. While that may be disappointing to an individual member, it's better for the system as a whole. The system doesn't care WHO occupies the villa. It just wants all the villas occupied!

The good thing is Poly always has open 2 bedrooms available at 7 months. There aren’t too many that can afford the 100+ points a night for the Bungalows. 1 and 2 bedrooms are more readily available at 7 months than studios. There are certain times of the year when they can’t be booked at 7 months for some resorts but SkierPete thread can give you some guidance. Good luck. We own at both SSR and OKW and have stayed at most WDW resorts. OKW is probably my DD favorite resort. The refurbishment of SSR is beautiful and it is probably the quietest resort on property if your looking to relax.

Last edited:
The good thing is Poly always has open 2 bedrooms available at 7 months. There aren’t too many that can afford the 100+ points a night for the Bungalows. 1 and 2 bedrooms are more readily available at 7 months than studios. There are certain times of the year when they can’t be booked at 7 months for some resorts but SkierPete thread can give you some guidance. Good luck. We own at both SSR and OKW and have stayed at most WDW resorts. OKW is probably my DD favorite resort. The refurbishment of SSR is beautiful and it is probably the quietest resort on property if your looking to relax.
? The only 2 bedrooms at Poly are the bungalows, and there are no 1 bedroom villas. Did you mean a different resort, or DVC in general, as opposed to Poly specifically?

Looking to buy DVC this year and trying to decide which home resort is right for me. Part of my dilemma is I would like to stay at several of them, if not all of them, eventually. I am curious what the normal (non-pandemic year) level of availability is at resorts other than the home resort at the 7 month mark. For example, if SSR or OKW is my home resort, how difficult is it to find a 2 bedroom at BWV, BRV, BCV or AKV at 7 months?

I bought a 400pt SSR contract, closed in Jan. Had no problem getting Bay Lake Tower (2BR + 1BR lake views) for 9-16 July. I could have also booked the Polynesian (studio or bungalow) and Grand Floridian with no problem. Those were the only three resorts we were looking at for this summer.
We ended up moving our reservations to 6-15 Aug at Bay Lake Tower with no problem.

Before I bought, almost everyone here and the other board were saying to buy where you plan on staying. After looking at availability, I determined that I could find something most everywhere at 3+ months out. If you want a studio with the lowest possible points, it's harder but since I was able to buy my SSR points for not much more than 1/2 the cost of what a Bay Lake Tower resale runs, I don't have a problem with getting better rooms (which of course cost more points).
The exceptions to this are the EPCOT resorts for F&W and Christmas/New Years. Those tend to be gone before 7 months out. The other exception is the Grand Californian at Disneyland.

There are at least a couple of availability tools out there that let you see what inventory is. Just do a google search so that you get an idea of what's available.

I went with more points for a lower price (keeping in mind maintenance fees) which is why I ended up with SSR. I would not buy where I want to stay because I want to stay at multiple different properties - best to just go for lowest cost points.

? The only 2 bedrooms at Poly are the bungalows, and there are no 1 bedroom villas. Did you mean a different resort, or DVC in general, as opposed to Poly specifically?
I was attempting a little humor. Poly only has studios and bungalows. The bungalows are technically 2 bedrooms. They are the most point hungry 2 bedroom rooms in DVC inventory. They cost more than most 3 bedroom grand villas. I think only the Grand Californian and Aulani 3 bedroom use more points.

Last edited:
I was attempting a little humor. Poly only has studios and bungalows. The bungalows are technically 2 bedrooms. They are the most point hungry 2 bedroom rooms in DVC inventory. They cost more than most 3 bedroom grand villas. I think only the Grand Californian and Aulani 3 bedroom use more points.
Ah, sorry, I couldn’t see you grinning as I read your post! :tilt:

I bought a 400pt SSR contract, closed in Jan. Had no problem getting Bay Lake Tower (2BR + 1BR lake views) for 9-16 July. I could have also booked the Polynesian (studio or bungalow) and Grand Floridian with no problem. Those were the only three resorts we were looking at for this summer.
We ended up moving our reservations to 6-15 Aug at Bay Lake Tower with no problem.

Before I bought, almost everyone here and the other board were saying to buy where you plan on staying. After looking at availability, I determined that I could find something most everywhere at 3+ months out. If you want a studio with the lowest possible points, it's harder but since I was able to buy my SSR points for not much more than 1/2 the cost of what a Bay Lake Tower resale runs, I don't have a problem with getting better rooms (which of course cost more points).
The exceptions to this are the EPCOT resorts for F&W and Christmas/New Years. Those tend to be gone before 7 months out. The other exception is the Grand Californian at Disneyland.

There are at least a couple of availability tools out there that let you see what inventory is. Just do a google search so that you get an idea of what's available.

I went with more points for a lower price (keeping in mind maintenance fees) which is why I ended up with SSR. I would not buy where I want to stay because I want to stay at multiple different properties - best to just go for lowest cost points.
This year is a total fluke for booking. Come January, as long as there is very little Covid, things will be different.

LOL! I see what you did there. Yes, those Poly 2 bedrooms, aka Bungalows, have great availability. If you have the points.

I also agree with you (from your previous post) that studios can be difficult to book for closer in dates. Basically, I look at availability and see that the lowest point cost rooms go first, but if one has the points for a 1BR or 2BR, there's pretty good availability at most resorts 3 months out.

LOL! I see what you did there. Yes, those Poly 2 bedrooms, aka Bungalows, have great availability. If you have the points.

I also agree with you (from your previous post) that studios can be difficult to book for closer in dates. Basically, I look at availability and see that the lowest point cost rooms go first, but if one has the points for a 1BR or 2BR, there's pretty good availability at most resorts 3 months out.

Three months out? I don't think most people are going to be happy unless they are OK with SSR, OKW or VAKL - even with a one bedroom. The problem with DVC availability is you are in it for the long haul - owners change their behavior (and how many points they owned) based off their prior experiences. So Year 1 might be nearly wide open three months out, but since DVC books full year round, someone - probably several someone's - didn't act early enough and didn't get what they want. In Year 2 availability might be nearly wide open four months out - but some of those people who got locked out last year moved earlier. Or they bought some more points because they noticed they could still get a one or two bedroom. Thus, while I've been watching DVC availability over twenty years - it has changed significantly - and I think tightening of one bedrooms is going to happen over the next five years - particularly in the older resorts - which offer a fantastic point value for one bedrooms compared to the newer resorts. Assuming things will be the same assumes that your fellow DVC members are too stupid to learn and adapt.

Three months out? I don't think most people are going to be happy unless they are OK with SSR, OKW or VAKL - even with a one bedroom. The problem with DVC availability is you are in it for the long haul - owners change their behavior (and how many points they owned) based off their prior experiences. So Year 1 might be nearly wide open three months out, but since DVC books full year round, someone - probably several someone's - didn't act early enough and didn't get what they want. In Year 2 availability might be nearly wide open four months out - but some of those people who got locked out last year moved earlier. Or they bought some more points because they noticed they could still get a one or two bedroom. Thus, while I've been watching DVC availability over twenty years - it has changed significantly - and I think tightening of one bedrooms is going to happen over the next five years - particularly in the older resorts - which offer a fantastic point value for one bedrooms compared to the newer resorts. Assuming things will be the same assumes that your fellow DVC members are too stupid to learn and adapt.

You could be right.

I have seen very decent BLT availability for 1BR and 2BR. Pre-COVID this spring, VGF had some inventory and Polynesian studios were available at 3 months out. Polynesian bungalows were of course available

The availability for this next year is likely to be whacked with all of the excess points that have built up due to the closure so the ominous predictions will likely be true for most of 2021. There are a lot of unused points rolling forward, but things will eventually normalize again and I've already committed to use half of our 2021 points this year.

I just glanced at Boardwalk Villas availability during F&W and I was very surprised at the decent 1 and 2 BR availability for Sep and Oct which was unexpected; from reading these boards, I assumed that there wouldn't be anything available at BWV during F&W. On the other hand, the only NYE availability is at SSR, but that is probably the highest demand day of the year.

I've been reading 'buy where you want to stay because you need to book at 11 months', but have found that adage to not hold much water unless you're looking at a very high demand time. There's usually some inventory at several different resorts at the 3 month mark and almost everything's still available at the 7 month mark. Besides, there are always some cancellations/changes that free up some short notice availability.

Granted, I'm new to this but I haven't found the ominous availability predictions to be true. And if those dark predictions come to fruition, I'll simply sell my contracts and probably vacation somewhere other than Orlando for a few years. So no, I'm not going to be in it for the long haul if I'm unhappy with the program - that would be stupid. I'm also not going to be sad if I never stay anywhere other than SSR, OKW, or AKL (although we're booked for BLT this year). There are worse things in life than that.

I just glanced at Boardwalk Villas availability during F&W and I was very surprised at the decent 1 and 2 BR availability for Sep and Oct which was unexpected; from reading these boards, I assumed that there wouldn't be anything available at BWV during F&W. On the other hand, the only NYE availability is at SSR, but that is probably the highest demand day of the year.
Actually, this is not all that unexpected for 2020. Many of us recently cancelled those reservations for fear of a second wave of the virus and/or the assumption that F&W will be cancelled or severely limited. I personally cancelled 1 bedroom standard view reservations for both October & December (8 nights each).

I'm hoping next fall (2021) will be better. If so, availability should be much tighter and more closely reflect past patterns.

You could be right.

I have seen very decent BLT availability for 1BR and 2BR. Pre-COVID this spring, VGF had some inventory and Polynesian studios were available at 3 months out. Polynesian bungalows were of course available

The availability for this next year is likely to be whacked with all of the excess points that have built up due to the closure so the ominous predictions will likely be true for most of 2021. There are a lot of unused points rolling forward, but things will eventually normalize again and I've already committed to use half of our 2021 points this year.

I've been reading 'buy where you want to stay because you need to book at 11 months', but have found that adage to not hold much water unless you're looking at a very high demand time. There's usually some inventory at several different resorts at the 3 month mark and almost everything's still available at the 7 month mark. Besides, there are always some cancellations/changes that free up some short notice availability.

Granted, I'm new to this but I haven't found the ominous availability predictions to be true. And if those dark predictions come to fruition, I'll simply sell my contracts and probably vacation somewhere other than Orlando for a few years. So no, I'm not going to be in it for the long haul if I'm unhappy with the program - that would be stupid. I'm also not going to be sad if I never stay anywhere other than SSR, OKW, or AKL (although we're booked for BLT this year). There are worse things in life than that.

I prefer "buy where you won't mind ending up." Because if you buy at SSR and think that you will be able to get into BWV each and every time you want, even if you are planning for one bedrooms - you will end up disappointed at least SOME of the time. If you own at BWV, and can plan eleven months out - you will only be disappointed if you need standard view every trip. If you go into it saying "this year I'd like an Epcot resort - or maybe BLT, but if none of those are available, SSR will do just fine for me" you will find that you are very happy - and frequently get your first or second or third choice switch.

However, I believe its far better to set the expectation low when people are looking at buying. Because things DO change over time and for most people this is a lot of money - so to buy something with expectations that are too high is not good. Its better to not buy at all than to find that you are constantly disappointed in the product because you believed availability to be better than it is and that your kids would get to swim at SAB every year on your not-BCV points. And, its a long term purchase - availability when we bought twenty years ago was different, studios were easier to get (although still the hardest to get), the seven month window was far more open - heck, if you didn't need standard view - getting a studio at BWV during Food and Wine was almost a certainty if you could call right at seven months. F&W was a month between mid-October and Thanksgiving. Run Disney weeks were one or two - I'm not sure how many there are now, or if they've even backed off - but that was something that went from "not really a problem very often" to "yeah, there are like six RunDisney weeks to watch out for." Disney can change events and therefore change availability patterns rather drastically from year to year.

The other problem with expectations is, as you've said - sometimes things free up. But not everyone has the luxury of being able to watch for openings. So setting the expectation for someone who is going to call (or login to the website) once, and may not do it exactly at seven months but forget and do it at six and a half and someone who is not going to want to switch resorts mid-stay, is safer. Its better that people be delighted with their purchase, then for me to give advice that leads someone to buy something that doesn't meet their needs. B

I own SSR certainly don’t mind staying there but haven’t in years. I go for 1 beds mainly including at Xmas. Over past few years had Boardwalk standard twice, Beach Club, BLT, Kidani, Copper Creek, Grand Californian.

1 beds are great. Many people commenting on boards ‘buy where you want to stay’ never look at 1 bed availability.

For the last 4 years Boardwalk 1 beds have always been available for me bang on 7.

I own SSR certainly don’t mind staying there but haven’t in years. I go for 1 beds mainly including at Xmas. Over past few years had Boardwalk standard twice, Beach Club, BLT, Kidani, Copper Creek, Grand Californian.

1 beds are great. Many people commenting on boards ‘buy where you want to stay’ never look at 1 bed availability.

For the last 4 years Boardwalk 1 beds have always been available for me bang on 7.

FWIW, some of your posts convinced me to buy SSR. I don't want to stay at BLT or VGF or BWV or AK or ___ every year. I want to be able to sleep around and see what different resorts.

This will be our first time staying at a DVC property and we had July BLT reservations but they started on 9 July so we cancelled. We rescheduled everything for August at BLT. We have a group of 15 and I was able to get 2 studios and 1 2BR for the entirety of 6-15 Aug. That's only because people are nervous about going but we've got 3 elementary schoolers a junior high schooler and a high schooler with us so we opted to press on. BLT looks like a great location with small children, but I don't see my wife and I staying there unless we have small children with us.

I certainly don't expect that wide open availability all of the time. We have no problem booking into SSR or OKW as we don't need to spend a ton of time daily in the parks but we also want to experience other properties.

What we don't want to do is go to the same DVC resort every year. If that ends up happening, we'll sell our contracts and when we go to Disney World, we'll stay at Shades of Green or Swan and Dolphin (I'm a Marriott Lifetime Titanium so I can book rooms early) after selling.

Actually, this is not all that unexpected for 2020. Many of us recently cancelled those reservations for fear of a second wave of the virus and/or the assumption that F&W will be cancelled or severely limited. I personally cancelled 1 bedroom standard view reservations for both October & December (8 nights each).

I'm hoping next fall (2021) will be better. If so, availability should be much tighter and more closely reflect past patterns.

Yes, I realize that in a normal year, pretty much everything would be gone at the 7month point. I just figured that since things are slowly starting to loosen up, a lot of people who go yearly would have made contingency reservations since Disney's cancellation policy is temporarily lax.

This year is a total fluke for booking. Come January, as long as there is very little Covid, things will be different.
Things are going to get notably more difficult to book at 7 months, once people start traveling more next year, BUT, don't expect there to be 'little' COVID. Covid is going to run wild for the next year and keep infecting people who don't wear masks.

Studies are showing that if you wear a good mask, and all the people around you wear a good mask and you try to stay 6 feet away, AND the obviously sick people stay home, then the transmission rate is VERY low. Also, fresh air or good air exchange help minimize transmission. Fresh as in outdoors, good exchange as in airplanes that 'turn their air over' every 6 or 7 minutes.

So, people who take precautions should do okay. Transmission AT Disney World, and on the flights over, will be pretty darn low, as long as people wear masks.

The only thing that is going to change it is if EVERYONE gets it, or if we get an effective vaccine. But don't expect a vaccine before next summer at the earliest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter