Non-Home Resort Availability

Yes that right studio, is it advised to do two reservations at home resort? Then that allows me to edit the second reservation and change to AKL if availability permits? Also what happens if there isn’t availability do I have an option to wait list? Or should I try to book what’s available and lose my home resort reservation? And hope availability becomes available? Sorry I am completely new to this.
I would do the two reservations as it makes it easier to change the second. You can place a waitlist and when doing so select the 2nd SSR reservation to be replaced with the AKL you are waitlisting if it clears.

I would do the two reservations as it makes it easier to change the second. You can place a waitlist and when doing so select the 2nd SSR reservation to be replaced with the AKL you are waitlisting if it clears.
Sounds really stupid if only 9 days out of the 10 I wanted were available and I wait listed. Would the 9 days be kept for me? Or would I need all 10 to be available?

I'd say it depends on the size of the resort. The smaller resorts are harder to get into in general but it also depends on any special events. Like BWV or BCV during Food & Wine or BRV at Christmas. I agree with buy where you want to stay so use your 10 month advantage at your home resort then look once your 7 month window opens and move if you want to. We've stayed at a lot of the different resorts without any issues with our HHI and BRV points.

You will almost NEVER get one single Waitlist request for long periods, such as 10 days at once. If you see that many days when you go to book, then book them. At the 11 month window and 7 month windows, you CAN book 10 days deep into the window. But if you don't see them, it is unlikely that someone will 'drop' exactly that reservation, so that it goes to the Waitlist, so that you can get it.

The best way to work with the Waitlist is to pick off as many days as you can, for your desired reservation, IF YOU SEE THEM ON THE BOOKING LIST. AND, check back every day or two, sometimes multiple times per day, ESPECIALLY IN THE MORNINGS. It doesn't matter whether you get blocks of 1 day or 3 days or 5 days or whatever. Get as many of them as you can. THEN, put in your waitlist for any missing days, but ONLY ask for the missing days. You could, at this point request a block that includes your missing days PLUS some of the days you already booked (and ask for the new reservation to replace your existing days, too), but to me that is just more complicated. I generally DO NOT ask for the program to combine the reservations or use them to replace the previous reservations, UNLESS you are low on points. But if you have the points, just do it all separately, and then combine it later.

I currently have an 8 day desired reservation block, with a waitlist request, where I have the first 4 days, and the last 3 days, and am missing day 5. I have a waitlist request for it. In case it doesn't come in, I have also made a 4 day reservation, for the last four days (including the day 5 I don't have) at Old Key West. So I would spend the first 4 days at Animal Kingdom and the last 4 at OKW. Not my preferred thing, to MOVE to a new resort in the middle of the trip, but it covers me in case that 5th day never comes through. (That is for early Novemeber, so I am hopeful.)

I also have another reservation where I am missing one single day at AKV in October. October 6th to the 7th. I only started trying to get this reservation a week and a half ago, right after Disney announced when they were reopening. I wanted the block from October 1st until the 11th, but the 4th through he 11th was the most essential. I put in a request for TWO blocks of points, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. And then 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th. Since those were the ESSENTIAL days. But a block of the 1st - 4th opened up, and I took them. Then a block of the 7th, 8th and 9th. Then the 10th and 11th. Then the 5th to the 6th. Whenever I picked up a block, I modified my waitlist request (YES, I know I lose 'Priority' this way, but I picked up the days fairly rapidly, so I didn't lose much priority in the que.) Anyway, all I need now is the 6th to the 7th, and I have TWO waitlist requests in for that. 5th to the 7th (2 days) and a separate waitlist request in for just the 6th to the 7th. We will see how it goes. Once I have everything reserved, I will call member services and have them combine all my reserved days into one block, and drop any days that might be extra.

Anyway, I think this is a good way to do Waitlist requests. Pick up the days you can, as they become available, while waiting for the waitlist to come through.

There is no way to MODIFY Waitlist requests. All you can do is cancel them and ask for a new one. Even if you call Member Services to modify it, that is also what they are doing - cancelling and making a new one. You do lose Priority every time you drop a request and put in a new one, so keep that in your mind. On the other hand, if you drop a block request from 5 days to 2 days, I think you are MUCH more likely to get the 2 days, so a loss of priority might be worth it. (By priority, I mean your position on the Waitlist BEHIND everybody else who has already requested the same days.)

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice. The only concern I have is the amount of points required to hve more than one reservation going at once. We only have a small amount of points. If we have an existing reservation can we still wait list if we don’t have the points ? So with my situation I would hope to have a 7 day existing reservation which I would want to change to a 10 day in a non home resort. What’s the best way to increase chances if not all availability is there? Sorry really new to this we are going through the process of buying now.

Thank you for your advice. The only concern I have is the amount of points required to hve more than one reservation going at once. We only have a small amount of points. If we have an existing reservation can we still wait list if we don’t have the points ? So with my situation I would hope to have a 7 day existing reservation which I would want to change to a 10 day in a non home resort. What’s the best way to increase chances if not all availability is there? Sorry really new to this we are going through the process of buying now.
What you will want to do is start with 2 reservations, so that you can more easily play with the second week. When the 7 month rolls around, your going to want to change that second week to as many nights as is available for the resort that you are going to want, in this case, AKL. The unused home resort points will go back into your account. You will then want to book those missing nights at your home resort, then create a waitlist for the missing AKL nights and select to replace your home resort if the waitlist clears.

Now, the challenge you are likely to run into is that your home resort is GFV, and studios there go quickly - which means if you cancel, it's likely to be snatched up. If that ends up being the case, what you'll want to do is have another resort that you are willing to stay at if you cannot get the missing nights filled so you can book that resort instead while you are trying to fill in the gaps for AKL.

For example, at the 7 month mark, let's say that nights 1,2,3 are available, 4 is not, and 5,6,7 are. You'd change your existing 7 night to 1 night on the 4th night, returning the points to your account. Then book nights 1,2,3 and 5,6,7 in two new reservations for AKL. Then set up a waitlist for night 4, selecting to replace your GFV 1 night with it if the waitlist clears.

The challenge here is that you could end up resort-hopping if the waitlist doesn't clear. Disney does make this fairly easy and will move your luggage for you to the new resort, however. My family has done it many times so we can experience more than one resort while at Disney.

I would suggest doing this at Kidani, rather than Jambo, if only because the chances of a Kidani waitlist clearing are much higher.

What you will want to do is start with 2 reservations, so that you can more easily play with the second week. When the 7 month rolls around, your going to want to change that second week to as many nights as is available for the resort that you are going to want, in this case, AKL. The unused home resort points will go back into your account. You will then want to book those missing nights at your home resort, then create a waitlist for the missing AKL nights and select to replace your home resort if the waitlist clears.

Now, the challenge you are likely to run into is that your home resort is GFV, and studios there go quickly - which means if you cancel, it's likely to be snatched up. If that ends up being the case, what you'll want to do is have another resort that you are willing to stay at if you cannot get the missing nights filled so you can book that resort instead while you are trying to fill in the gaps for AKL.

For example, at the 7 month mark, let's say that nights 1,2,3 are available, 4 is not, and 5,6,7 are. You'd change your existing 7 night to 1 night on the 4th night, returning the points to your account. Then book nights 1,2,3 and 5,6,7 in two new reservations for AKL. Then set up a waitlist for night 4, selecting to replace your GFV 1 night with it if the waitlist clears.

The challenge here is that you could end up resort-hopping if the waitlist doesn't clear. Disney does make this fairly easy and will move your luggage for you to the new resort, however. My family has done it many times so we can experience more than one resort while at Disney.

I would suggest doing this at Kidani, rather than Jambo, if only because the chances of a Kidani waitlist clearing are much higher.
Thank you this is perfect as I haven’t been on the system yet I have a few questions. When changing the existing stay can you then select the two sets of available dates and leave the 1 day GF reservation. Or do you have to cancel down to one stay at GF as one change. Then go back in the system for a new reservation and book the first set off days, complete. And then finally book another reservation for the last set of days?

If you only have “a small number of points“, make sure you are aware of the current borrowing policy.

You can potentially book what is available. Then make a Waitlist Request for what is NOT available at the moment, but stretch the Waitlist request to not only include the part that isn't available, but also to include what you already have booked. THEN, make sure to check the box so that the Waitlist Request, which is now for the whole length of the reservation will REPLACE the existing reservation. That way, if it finds the days you need, it SHOULD roll what you have into one reservation for the whole thing. The trouble is, I don't really see any advantages to doing it this way, AND, I'm not sure Disney's programs are smart enough to do it consistently - to search for a long reservation but only find some of the days, and then realize that you will be combining it with what you already have.

You can potentially book what is available. Then make a Waitlist Request for what is NOT available at the moment, but stretch the Waitlist request to not only include the part that isn't available, but also to include what you already have booked. THEN, make sure to check the box so that the Waitlist Request, which is now for the whole length of the reservation will REPLACE the existing reservation. That way, if it finds the days you need, it SHOULD roll what you have into one reservation for the whole thing. The trouble is, I don't really see any advantages to doing it this way, AND, I'm not sure Disney's programs are smart enough to do it consistently - to search for a long reservation but only find some of the days, and then realize that you will be combining it with what you already have.
Is the system smart enough to realised i already have some of the nights stay and would therefore only look for the nights missing? I wouldnt have thought this would be the case?

Thank you this is perfect as I haven’t been on the system yet I have a few questions. When changing the existing stay can you then select the two sets of available dates and leave the 1 day GF reservation. Or do you have to cancel down to one stay at GF as one change. Then go back in the system for a new reservation and book the first set off days, complete. And then finally book another reservation for the last set of days?
You can't make 2 out of the existing reservation, unfortunately, which is essentially what reservation two non-continuous dates are. I was suggesting keeping the 1 night, only because GF studios are hard to get and you don't want to lose it. Whereas if the AKLs are showing available, you should be safe to book it separately. But you can do it however you want.

Is the system smart enough to realised i already have some of the nights stay and would therefore only look for the nights missing? I wouldnt have thought this would be the case?
I don't know if it is. Honestly, I'd just waitlist the one night. just to be safe. If it clears, and the names are exactly the same on the reservation, it should combine it into one reservation (mine have in the past). If it doesn't (I have that situation with one right now), you can just call into Member Services and have them combine the reservations together.

I don't know if it is. Honestly, I'd just waitlist the one night. just to be safe.

I agree with Lorana, I am not sure that it is. I always thought it was, but I have never done it. I don't really see the benefit of it. Maybe other people can weigh in.

I think that at this point, no one is still quite sure how the Waitlist works, and how well it works. Will it recognize the nights you have already reserved, and roll them into a matching waitlist request? Will it get confused? Maybe I am expecting too much of it, since it isn't 'smart enough' to let you modify a waitlist request.

Other Questions: Does the Waitlist run ALL the time, and have immediate priority to 'grab' the reservation days that pop up and match a waitlist request, or does it only run periodically or at certain times of the day? I'm sure there should be someone who knows. If a block of days to make a 5 day reservation pops up, and matches someone's waitlist, but someone who put in their own waitlist BEFORE them has only 1 day out of those 5 requested, then does the waitlist fill the 5 day block, or the 1 day block?

What other questions are there? At lease I don't feel like I understand it completely.

We think its a batch job. People with the most luck getting reservations that aren't "home" tend to be willing to waitlist, be flexible on dates/resorts and room sizes, be willing to stalk the website, and be ok with a split stay - or even moving twice or more. People with the least luck tend to be those who want what they want when they want it, and to make the reservation with one call or visit to the web site. If you say "well, I've got my reservation at SSR, and if I manage to get into BCV or BWV or BLT at least for a few nights, that would be great" you will be much happier than if you say "well, I'm not going to bother to book SSR because I want BCV, only BCV, I need two studios - one for guests, it needs to be these dates, and I want this done with one visit to the website - and I don't want to be up at 6am exactly seven months out to log in to the website to get that reservation" - that person is doomed to really dislike DVC and think it didn't live up to its promises.

We think its a batch job. People with the most luck getting reservations that aren't "home" tend to be willing to waitlist, be flexible on dates/resorts and room sizes, be willing to stalk the website, and be ok with a split stay - or even moving twice or more
this! I start with 2 confirmed days somewhere, then waitlist either 2 single days on either end or 2 2 days on either end, then I stalk. I've gotten a full week with this method. If I'd waitisted the full week, I'd be unlikely to get it. OKW, SSR, and AKV tend to have decent availability at 7 months. Others are much more iffy. It helps to check right at 7 months for the next week or two after everyday as people are switching to other resorts.

Other Questions: Does the Waitlist run ALL the time, and have immediate priority to 'grab' the reservation days that pop up and match a waitlist request, or does it only run periodically or at certain times of the day?
only certain times. I've had a WL running and gotten the room by checking online myself.

Shorter requests usually fill before longer stays. So if you have two nights before you can't find an open night and three nights after, just book the missing night. It would be a lot quicker coming through than six nights in a row. It will not only look for your missing nights. It will look for all the nights you requested. This is Disney IT after all.

Last year I wanted a three night stay in early Dec. I had it booked then had to cancel, but I was able to try to rebook it about two months later. Only the middle night was available. So I used my two waitlists for the night before and the night after. About five months or so before the date, the first night came through. Then a couple of weeks later, the last night came through. MS linked them into one reservation. I had stalked the website ever since I booked the single night and couldn't get the two nights I needed by stalking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter