Non-Home Resort Availability

DsnyDreaminDad

Earning My Ears
Looking to buy DVC this year and trying to decide which home resort is right for me. Part of my dilemma is I would like to stay at several of them, if not all of them, eventually. I am curious what the normal (non-pandemic year) level of availability is at resorts other than the home resort at the 7 month mark. For example, if SSR or OKW is my home resort, how difficult is it to find a 2 bedroom at BWV, BRV, BCV or AKV at 7 months?

Looking to buy DVC this year and trying to decide which home resort is right for me. Part of my dilemma is I would like to stay at several of them, if not all of them, eventually. I am curious what the normal (non-pandemic year) level of availability is at resorts other than the home resort at the 7 month mark. For example, if SSR or OKW is my home resort, how difficult is it to find a 2 bedroom at BWV, BRV, BCV or AKV at 7 months?
The 7 month mark will depend alot on what date, generally the hardest for fall reservations.

2BRs also depend on whether the resort has dedicated 2BRs and how many, as opposed to Lock Offs which join studios with 1BRs. Since Studios are the first to go, 2BR lockoffs can suffer a lack of availability from that.

In addition to what others have said, a 2 bedroom at BWV is particularly problematic because it is all lock-offs - which are a studio and a 1 bedroom put together to make a 2 bedroom. That means when all the studios are gone at BWV, so too are the 2 bedrooms. And it's a very popular resort, studios are often gone ahead of 7 months.

Most of us here would tell you to book primarily where you want to stay. That said, you stated that you want to "sleep around", which I am hoping to be able to do too. The skier_pete post is really helpful in determining what projected availability could be at different resorts at different times of the year. Typically, studios and 2BR's are harder to get than 1BR's. If your party can squeeze into a 1BR, that would be the best way to guarantee you get into the resorts you want to get into.

That's true right now, but it could shift with the changes in the points charts in 2021.

We could see some easing. It's possible we don't see much change at 7m for high demand rooms. They're still a bargain during one of the most popular times for DVC'ers.

The changes might not be enough to sway the experienced DVC crowd away from favorite activities and weather during fall, and it remains in a below average point usage category. Plus there is the 50th to contend with in 2021, where Oct-Nov availability could be slim everywhere at 7m.

Over the long term you will likely be fine. I bought where I want to stay but have been able to stay at all the WDW resorts except RIV (yet). The points you have, the easier it is as you'll be able to take any view avail and the more expensive, the easier to get. So buying more points at SSR rather than less at BCV helps with that but then you also have to take it as it comes and be fine with staying at SSR. Honestly, I adore SSR- it has beautiful grounds and is how we fell in love with DVC despite the rooms being a little ratty. With the rooms being renovated now and the boon of DS, I think more folks will happily stay there freeing up avail elsewhere at 7 but also making you very happy when you get "stuck" there. OKW is fantastic too! There really isn't a bad property. They all have their charms.

Over the long term you will likely be fine.
I think this could be key. Over time we can find availability for different resorts and rooms.

It's harder to find specific resorts & dates than having several options in mind to match with what's available.

Harder- GFV in Dec '20, BWV in April '21, CC in Fall '21

Easier- GFV, BWV, or CC on any of those dates.

We plan to add a new resort to the mix after each visit knocks one off the list so that eventually we can try 'em all!

I think this could be key. Over time we can find availability for different resorts and rooms.

It's harder to find specific resorts & dates than having several options in mind to match with what's available.

Harder- GFV in Dec '20, BWV in April '21, CC in Fall '21

Easier- GFV, BWV, or CC on any of those dates.

We plan to add a new resort to the mix after each visit knocks one off the list so that eventually we can try 'em all!
as soon as you see them all, they build a new one and refurbish another. Love my DVC!

Just be sure to buy where you don’t mind staying if you narrowed it to OKW and SSR. I have never stayed at OKW, but do own 500 SSR for staying elsewhere during less busy times..have RIV and soon BLT for specific stays... because it’s a nice walk to DS

As long as you are flexible, and realize what travel times will be easier, over time you’ll be able to try them all...except RIV and new resorts since resale points are not eligible

From my experience, I would say that it is often relatively easy to get a two bedroom unit at Animal Kingdom, especially in Kidani, at the seven month window. However this does not necessarily apply in the months of October November and most of December. Also you might not have the choice of Savannah versus Standard.So typically savanna rooms are probably a bit easier to get.

In October and November you would increase your chances if you were willing to walk the reservation

That's true right now, but it could shift with the changes in the points charts in 2021.

They cannot make drastic chart shifts in any given year. You also have to consider that balancing first week in August demand with first week of December is actually not possible, and will never be possible. The system won't ever balance perfectly, because the level of points required to make early December appeal as little as the first week in August is too extreme.

Sorry to tag on, we are just in process of buying GFV. We are happy to stay at our home resort however I was wondering how easy at 7 month mark it is to get a 10 day reservation elsewhere. We are hoping in getting 10 days in GFV and 10 days in AKL May 2022.

We have 110 points and plan to visit every 3 years. Our Use year is June so we are wanting to Book last 10 days of May as one at GFV. Then another Reservation at 11 month mark for 7 days. For the first 7 days inJune.The. If availability allows change this for AKL studio.

Sorry to tag on, we are just in process of buying GFV. We are happy to stay at our home resort however I was wondering how easy at 7 month mark it is to get a 10 day reservation elsewhere. We are hoping in getting 10 days in GFV and 10 days in AKL May 2022.

We have 110 points and plan to visit every 3 years. Our Use year is June so we are wanting to Book last 10 days of May as one at GFV. Then another Reservation at 11 month mark for 7 days. For the first 7 days inJune.The. If availability allows change this for AKL studio.
Check out the DVC availability charts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
I presume you mean for a studio? If so, it looks like first week of June is open for Kidani for Savanna view, mostly for Standard view. At Jambo, mostly for both views (no availability for value).

Yes that right studio, is it advised to do two reservations at home resort? Then that allows me to edit the second reservation and change to AKL if availability permits? Also what happens if there isn’t availability do I have an option to wait list? Or should I try to book what’s available and lose my home resort reservation? And hope availability becomes available? Sorry I am completely new to this.

The danger with booking at the end of your UY is if you need to cancel with short notice (31 days or more out). It gives you very little time left in the UY to book another stay. And if you are closer to the end of the UY when you cancel than four months out from the end, you cannot bank those points. If you cancel 30 days or fewer from the start of your trip, your points go into holding. In holding, you cannot book a stay more than 60 days out and the points expire at the end of the UY.

The danger with booking at the end of your UY is if you need to cancel with short notice (31 days or more out). It gives you very little time left in the UY to book another stay. And if you are closer to the end of the UY when you cancel than four months out from the end, you cannot bank those points. If you cancel 30 days or fewer from the start of your trip, your points go into holding. In holding, you cannot book a stay more than 60 days out and the points expire at the end of the UY.
Yeah completely understand. We are from the UK so we would be planning our trip early and getting flight as well. It would be extremely unlikely we would cancel. Can you book one reservation and then split it ? Do you have to ring up to do that?

Yeah completely understand. We are from the UK so we would be planning our trip early and getting flight as well. It would be extremely unlikely we would cancel. Can you book one reservation and then split it ? Do you have to ring up to do that?
No, you can't split a reservation, so if you plan a split stay it's best to book one reservation for one set of dates and a separate one for the other set of dates at your home resort at 11 months. Then at 7 months, modify one set of dates to book the second (non-home) resort. If no availability at 7 months, you can email, chat or call MS to combine the two home resort reservations into one so you don't have to change rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter