NO RECEPTION-am i normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneybride219

Earning My Ears
After my Boardwalk Sea Breeze Wedding i have opted to NOT have a reception. im a little apprehensive about it and hope i wont have regrets not having one. But i figured Epcot is right there...who needs a reception when family and friends can go Around the World and go drinking! And then finish the day with fireworks and maybe some magic hours at late-night.
Is this crazy?!?!
:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo:

Not every Disney couple hold a reception after the wedding. Sounds like a great plan as long as you are changing out of your wedding dress before heading into EPCOT.

oh no! the dress is staying on! but i chose like a 50's tea length dress. light weight, shortish. i can run around in that thing all day!!

Depending on how bride-like you look, they may not allow you to enter the park in your dress... wedding gowns are technically not allowed in the park unless you are there for your event or a photoshoot that you booked through DFTW.

That's good that your dress is short because wedding dresses are not allowed in the park as a rule.

I definitely would regret not having at least cake, a toast & pictures very much! I would hit the parks after. If I were a guest and not aware of what the plans were I would be a bit.... Surprised?

well cake, pictures and a toast are all included in my wedding package. but i dont intend to do a sit down dinner or centerpieces. and if my guests are "surprised"?.......let em be. go with the flow. its disney!

did i just read that right? you cant wear the dress in the parks? now im having a moment! i really wanted to wear my dress all day. its short. not to bridal. oh my. this must be solved. must be solved.

:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo: :tigger: :goofy:

Uhm, right. That is what we were trying to tell you. You might get away with it since your dress is short.

After my Boardwalk Sea Breeze Wedding i have opted to NOT have a reception. im a little apprehensive about it and hope i wont have regrets not having one. But i figured Epcot is right there...who needs a reception when family and friends can go Around the World and go drinking! And then finish the day with fireworks and maybe some magic hours at late-night.
Is this crazy?!?!
:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo:

I would indicate on your invitations that this is a ceremony only. Since you are from RI, I would guess a lot of your guests would be travelling quite a way and should be made aware they need to make arrangements for food after.

I would indicate on your invitations that this is a ceremony only. Since you are from RI, I would guess a lot of your guests would be travelling quite a way and should be made aware they need to make arrangements for food after.

I agree. I have to say, if I travelled that far for a wedding and the couple didn't even bother to buy me a meal, I might feel a bit put out.

did i just read that right? you cant wear the dress in the parks? now im having a moment! i really wanted to wear my dress all day. its short. not to bridal. oh my. this must be solved. must be solved.

:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo: :tigger: :goofy:
Are you doing an escape package? How about doing a dessert party. You can add I think appetizers and booze.

You can only wear your dress in the parks if you are accompanied by a cast member to a reception, dessert party or a bridal shoot in that specific park. They do not allow bridal gowns I think because they don't want to confuse the kids because of the whole "princess" thing. Even if your dress is shorter, if it looks like a bridal gown, you will have a problem getting in. Congratulations on your engagement.

oh yes very very true. but thankfully its just going to be really close immediate family and our best friends. i believe that they are already in the loop from me yammering their ears off everyday on the phone. and i think we will be all getting something to eat together. nothing formal.but my fiance is a chef and he will want something interesting im sure! im kind of fly by the seat of your pants kind of gal. :hippie:

it will be a great day...no matter what!!!

:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo: :goofy:

We are not having a "reception" per se. DF and I had our first date at a Mexican restaurant, and we love Mexican food. We knew that we wanted to incorporate it into our wedding somehow. So, last summer when we were in Orlando for vacation, we checked out some "fancier" Mexican restaurants in the Orlando area. We found one with great food and service and booked a lunch in their private room. We and our 14 guests are just going to order off the menu. No centerpieces, no fuss. Just good food :)

While I am all about "Do what you want, it's your wedding," I do kind of agree that a meal is one of the least things we can provide guests (even if it is just a few family members and friends) with is a meal for going above and beyond to come to our wedding.

Are you hosting any other events, like a welcome brunch, tea or dessert party?

personally, i don't think i would risk the "dress in the park" thing. yeah because it's short you may be able to slide by.... but also, you may not. there's no way you can plan to see if you can sneak by in your dress until the day of--but it's definately not allowed--do you really want to question the rules? i want to have a set plan for my wedding day and don't want any risks involved. i also think that a dinner somewhere would be nice for your guests, then maybe change clothes and go into epcot for the evening. Depending on how many guests you have you could do the Captain's Grille or Cape May Cafe which are right there as well!

oh yes very very true. but thankfully its just going to be really close immediate family and our best friends. i believe that they are already in the loop from me yammering their ears off everyday on the phone. and i think we will be all getting something to eat together. nothing formal.but my fiance is a chef and he will want something interesting im sure! im kind of fly by the seat of your pants kind of gal. :hippie:

it will be a great day...no matter what!!!

:ccat: :simba: :donald: :dumbo: :goofy:

Oh good, I'm glad everyone knows. If you are all thinking of eating together will it be at a sit down dinner? If so, don't forget to make the reservations 180 days in advance.

What time is the wedding/how many guests? I would include on the invitation something like "Cake and Champagne to follow ceremony." Have you considered making an ADR at a restaurant in Epcot for you and your guests at some point that day (not sure if you can do lunch based on time of ceremony, which would be more affordable). If wearing the dress is a problem (can you post a pic?), just wear a set of bridal Minnie ears! Have fun and enjoy your day.

We aren't having a reception per say either. We have some ADR's booked, but other wise we are just going to 'rock' the resorts and MK. Again I'm wearing my short dress into the park, it doesn't say no formal wear :confused3

I think the issue with the dress in the parks is, even if it's short, it's still a wedding dress and you'd be knowingly going into the parks and breaking the rules. I think we need to give Disney a little credit here - people don't normally wear their finest clothing into a theme park and a woman in a white dress and a guy in a suit isn't exactly hard to miss. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk getting in trouble, especially on my wedding day.

I also have to agree with some that it would be nice if you could make a group ADR following your ceremony. If it's a budget issue, you wouldn't necessarily have to pay for them, but knowing how hard it is to walk up to a restaurant in Disney and get a table, it would be good to guarantee that they won't have to eat counter service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter