No Pixie Dust Yesterday!! I Hate Magic Bands!

Yes, you can still get them. :) Just ask for them at check-in. If the cast member says the cards only work on room doors, ask for them anyway. The cards work for everything.

Yes, you can use them interchangeably - no problems. :) When I went in April, I used my card for everything, and my band a couple of times to test it.

You can also use your KTTW card on fastpass+. The card works great for everything.

Great!! Thank you very much. I was not sure if we will have this choice since we will be staying on property. I'm also happy to see that your were able to use your KTTW card on ft+, and did not have any problems when using both MB and KTTW cards interchangeably.

But why go into your trip believing it's all going to go wrong? You MAY have something go wrong. I still wouldn't let it sour your excitement for a trip.

And telling people they can't post about it working well for them doesn't sit right with me. It's a discussion board.

Seems to me it is quite the other way around...anyone that posts about an issue or problem is more often than not called a liar or told they are exaggerating the problem. :scratchin

Yes, you can still get them. :) Just ask for them at check-in. If the cast member says the cards only work on room doors, ask for them anyway. The cards work for everything.

Yes, you can use them interchangeably - no problems. :) When I went in April, I used my card for everything, and my band a couple of times to test it.

You can also use your KTTW card on fastpass+. The card works great for everything.

edit: the card has to be swiped to get new Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards for some reason. I'm not sure why. I still had my band at the time, so I just used that. Otherwise it looked like the cast member was going to swipe the heck out of my card. It works fine for the Pirate map adventures, though.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you have bands and then get KTTW cards at check-in, will the cards have your tickets linked to them? I'm assuming yes if they work for fp+. Would be good to have for back-up when entering parks in case band doesn't work, as happened to us once in Feb. Only happened the one day but I'm hoping for no days next month!

Great!! Thank you very much. I was not sure if we will have this choice since we will be staying on property. I'm also happy to see that your were able to use your KTTW card on ft+, and did not have any problems when using both MB and KTTW cards interchangeably.

I was staying on property at Pop Century. :drive:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you have bands and then get KTTW cards at check-in, will the cards have your tickets linked to them? I'm assuming yes if they work for fp+. Would be good to have for back-up when entering parks in case band doesn't work, as happened to us once in Feb. Only happened the one day but I'm hoping for no days next month!

Yes - I think all the cast member did was copy my guest RFID number onto the card's RFID chip, and then print my name on the card. So everything is on the card.

- I think all the cast member did was copy my guest RFID number onto the card's RFID chip, and then print my name on the card. So everything is on the card.

Unlikely that the CM copied anything to the card's RFID chip.

AFAIK, each card has a chip with a unique number pre-encoded from the
factory.
Then, when an RFID card gets assigned to a guest, that card's unique RFID number gets ADDED to a guest's MDE account as a number that can access the MDE file information.

This is also true of a guest owning numerous MagicBands.
EACH band has an RFID chip with a unique number pre-encoded from the
factory.
Then, when a MB gets assigned to a guest, that MB's unique RFID number gets ADDED to a guest's MDE account as a number that can access the MDE file information.

I was staying on property at Pop Century. :drive:

Yes - I think all the cast member did was copy my guest RFID number onto the card's RFID chip, and then print my name on the card. So everything is on the card.

I am little curious did the cast member at the Pop give you a hard time when you requested the KTTW card, some posters have reported having a really hard time getting them.

I know. I shake my head every time I see someone post that. I just don't get it. :confused3

I personally find it even more convenient to have one of my kids open the door FOR me! :lmao: And I don't have to wear them on my wrist OR carry them in a pocket! :rotfl:

The one single aspect of the whole MM+ fiasco that I found to be a geniune advantage was reaching out with one arm and opening the resort room door while I was moving my 2 women's ponderous bulk of luggage up from the car. I appreciated the convenience of the band for about 30 minutes of my trip because of that. :)

Seems to me it is quite the other way around...anyone that posts about an issue or problem is more often than not called a liar or told they are exaggerating the problem. :scratchin

Yep, and the poster you quoted is generally right in the middle of it. ::yes::

The trouble with putting everything on computer is that if the computer then dies for any reason, everyone is completely scuppered. That's not necessarily Disney's fault - these things happen, sadly.

Yup! I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but when we were down in January our MBs were somehow linked to the tickets from the previous year's trip--which were obviously no good. Fortunately I was able to pull up a confirmation email showing our invoice paid in full to show the CM at Epcot and he linked "new" tickets to our bands. Technology is great until it fails.

We complained at the concierge desk at POP that evening (we'd had another glitch earlier that day and never received the text that our room was ready) and a very kind CM gave us a $50 account credit and a bunch of extra FP+ reservations. I hope everyone effected by the glitch yesterday does the same and gets some sort of compensation better than a single FP ticket.

Thank you.
It is not that carrying an ID is a burden. I simply don't like carrying a purse with me and going on rides. It is nice not to have to carry anything with you. I do not feel comfortable caring my drivers licence in my pocket, not because I have ever lost anything from my pockets but because I could lose it and the consequences of it. We also felt that our KTTW served as our IDs. My kids are old enough to know what to do if they get separated. My fifteen years old carries her Iphone in her hand at all times, now I think that is a burden. But it is her personal choice just like it was mine not to carry a purse. As for our upcoming trip we will carry our IDs because of all the issues with the new system.

That is exactly why we never carried our IDs or wallets or my pocketbook. Simply for our convenience. We had charging privileges on KTTW cards so there was no need for credit cards (and you needed a password to use the cards for charging not an ID), we just simply brought some cash for snacks. My dd is attached to her iphone so i did not have to carry mine. Being in my 40s I have not been asked for ID in order to enjoy an adult beverage in a VERY long time, and I don't really drink. My husband always brought his iphone and usually carried all of our KTTW cards since his shorts had the deepest pockets and he would not lose them. We also almost always stayed together and if we did separate we would take our own KTTW cards and meet up later. And in 15 years we never run into any major problems that required an ID. I know some people never go anywhere without their pocketbooks but for me personally it has been very convenient to lock everything in our safe and not carry a thing.:)

You cannot talk about 15 years worth of trips AND talk about your 15 year old daughter as though she has been 15 the whole time. Iphones haven't existed that long. Using a password for room charging has only existed, what, 1.5 years?

I rarely carry a purse or even a wallet, but I DO carry all the cards I feel I need. I don't mind a lanyard, and I love the Witz brand hard plastic, water-resistant, lanyard pouch thing.

ID, KTTW when we had them, a bit of cash, my CC, and in the last year or so, my insurance card.

Now we're including the MB on the wrist. Not so convenient.

Even with KTTWs, even when I would do room charging, often it would glitch and not work. So I ALWAYS carry a CC with me.

I might want a drink, and I'm often carded, so I carry the ID. If you're asked for ID and you don't have it, you don't get that tasty drink; even my 95 year old neighbor wouldn't, if he didn't have an ID with him.

Insurance card because of convenience just in case someone injures themselves and needs to go to urgent care or the ER. Sure they SAY you'll be cared for without the card...but given the sort of medical "care" I tend to be given, I'm not risking that. (if I see an MD generally I later figure out that they must have graduated dead last in their class...it's astonishing the level of "care" I've received, and I'm not going to make it even worse by having them think I'm uninsured) This has especially started since I've been doing rundisney events AND read of a Dis'er whose husband went straight from an event to the hospital, and they were very glad they had their insurance cards and ID.

there are lots of people flying in. What if I lose my ID in.the Park. How will I get on the plane to get home. You show your ID to check in and it is advertised all you need is your magic band. The whole system is crazy.

My dad doesn't have any sort of ID. And he flies. He goes about 4 hours early, goes through the rigamarole of security when you don't have an ID, and he flies. Domestically, obviously. You don't *have to* have an ID for domestic flights.

This whole thread aside :lmao: You're on holiday, not required to drive anywhere, occasionally it's nice to not have to worry about a wallet/purse/handbag. Essentially that would be one reason I'd enjoy using a magic band, knowing that I could go into the parks without anything but this band. If you need ID as well as the band, then it starts being less convenient.

Being on holiday doesn't keep the world at bay. Doesn't mean you won't trip off a curb and hit your head hard enough to need an ER trip. Doesn't mean my son didn't hit his face on the side of a ride vehicle* at California Adventure so hard the nurses were looking for a facial fracture (didn't have one, but if he did, it would have been ER time). Doesn't mean MB or KTTW charging will work every time. etc etc.

*the Tow Mater ride, and about 6 months later they'd had enough injuries from the ride that they installed padding! Woo!

"This is also true of a guest owning numerous MagicBands.
factory.
Then, when a MB gets assigned to a guest, that MB's unique RFID number gets ADDED to a guest's MDE account as a number that can access the MDE file information." From ROBO

I Visited WDW in March and had no MB issues with the four of them. Does Disney need to somehow have those magic bands deactivated before I go again in December?

Unlikely that the CM copied anything to the card's RFID chip.

AFAIK, each card has a chip with a unique number pre-encoded from the
factory.
Then, when an RFID card gets assigned to a guest, that card's unique RFID number gets ADDED to a guest's MDE account as a number that can access the MDE file information.

This is also true of a guest owning numerous MagicBands.
factory.
Then, when a MB gets assigned to a guest, that MB's unique RFID number gets ADDED to a guest's MDE account as a number that can access the MDE file information.

You may have just narrowed down the source of some of their trouble. Database bogged down. They don't remove old data. I have old tickets from 2011 and 2013 showing in MDE. Heck, MDE didn't even exist as we know it today back then. And then when folks get new MB their old ones stay in the account. You can even keep using them, since your data is still accessible on the old ones. They claim you get new ones because of the battery life on the old ones. If they'd purge the old data it may just free up processing so the active ones actually work right consistently.

I know it's a big adjustment for everyone to use an RFID-enabled system and I agree that disney wasn't really ready for all the IT headaches it was going to cause but when it works, it seems like it's great. And it works way more often than it doesn't.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Disney is using one extra FP as service recovery for having MB problems. Everyone already bought entry into the park and is entitled to ride the rides. Giving back the 30-60 minutes most people report it takes to solve a MB problem is the minimum of what is expected.

Makes sense.

I am little curious did the cast member at the Pop give you a hard time when you requested the KTTW card, some posters have reported having a really hard time getting them.

Yeah, the cast member was trying to give me a hard time.

Makes sense.

Yeah, the cast member was trying to give me a hard time.

They will give you a hard time. If you opt out you are suppose to surrender the magic band the cards are only there for people who wish to opt out due to the short range active RFID in the band.

I believe down the road if it is a medical necessity to opt out they will let you keep the MB once the short range things are turned on so that you can interact with the stuff but they will make it very clear they are not responsible for anything that happens to you by keeping it.

I went into my MDE and deactivated the magic bands we used this spring to get them out of the system and hopefully prevent possible glitches for our December trip.

We had old cards from pre-FP+ days still atatched to our MDE account for THIS year. I called IT and made them remove them altogether.

I went into my MDE and deactivated the magic bands we used this spring to get them out of the system and hopefully prevent possible glitches for our December trip.

You didn't have to do that. The Magic Bands can be used interchangeably. I think people a few posts up were hypothesizing that old tickets on the account could be causing the glitches, not the old Magic Bands. The Magic Bands are fairly useless, as Robo said, the only thing on the chip is your ID number in the Disney system. I used three different Magic Bands on my last trip and had zero problems.

We have never used the MB system and therefore should have no old information in the system, correct?

For our trip in December, we will be buying our tickets from AAA to get their discount. I am told that I can add the number from the ticket onto our MB account, correct?

Then to avoid any possible glitches, I should bring the hard ticket I get from AAA with us to the parks just in case?

Also bring ID for everybody?

If this is the case, then why bother with MB's as I will have to bring more stuff with me than just my KTTW card as we have in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter