No Pixie Dust Yesterday!! I Hate Magic Bands!

Agreed. It's also good to carry some cash. Do people not have pockets? Is it really so cumbersome, such an inconvenience, just to carry a simple id? How hard is it really?

We do carry some cash in our pockets. If we lose the cash than we are just out of the cash, but if we loose our driver licences than it is another story. You do have to worry not just about getting back on the plane but about some one stealing your identity. And yes my dh and I prefer not to carry our wallets/purse out of simple convenience (is that so terrible?). We are also not big drinkers so not being able to have drink at Disney is really not a big deal.
I also thought that these boards are here for us to share our experiences, opinions and offer friendly advice, not to attack each other for doing things differently.

I also thought that these boards are here for us to share our experiences, opinions and offer friendly advice, not to attack each other for doing things differently.

Telling people that it is a good idea to have an ID on their person for safety, medical and identification reasons is friendly advice, not a personal attack. Some more advice....You probably have a greater chance of having your wallet stolen by leaving it in your hotel room than you do of losing it while you have it with you. Also, before leaving home, make an enlarged, color copy of you driver's license or passport and store that in your room safe or in some other safe place. That way, if you do lose your actual ID, you will have a headstart in replacing it quickly. I don't kow about you all, but I don't have my DL or passport numbers committed to memory.

We do carry some cash in our pockets. If we lose the cash than we are just out of the cash, but if we loose our driver licences than it is another story. You do have to worry not just about getting back on the plane but about some one stealing your identity. And yes my dh and I prefer not to carry our wallets/purse out of simple convenience (is that so terrible?). We are also not big drinkers so not being able to have drink at Disney is really not a big deal.

It wasn't meant as an attack, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I legitimately don't know why carrying an id is a burden.

With FP+, I do get that it's easier to use your band than to pull out your ticket/KTTW. So I see that the MB frees you up in that regard.

I just don't see that having a MB results in, "Whew, now we don't have to carry our ID!", like everything just got so much easier. I legitimately don't get it.

I also don't get why you would be more likely to lose your ID at WDW than anywhere else.

So I ask the questions. I'm assuming there's some piece of this I'm missing. :confused3

Well good luck with that.

I guess I just have more confidence in my ability to not lose my ID than I do in Disney's ability to make magic bands work 100% of the time.

Amen! I don't need a purse to carry my ID. I just use a small ID wallet (smaller than a typical wallet) like this one - but cheaper :P It's thin, only holds my ID and a CC, is easily accessible, and it fits in any of my pockets.

I just think it's always prudent to carry your ID on you. If a child was ever separated from their parent and a CM found the child, I would imagine they would want to see ID before letting you walk off with the child. There's so many "you just never know when you'll need it" situations that it just doesn't make sense to me to not have it with me.

Two trips since the introduction of MBs and no problems at all. Last one was during Weekend 4 of SWW - the busiest of them all. Previous trip was during Xmas.

System is now fully deployed.

see....I'm glad for you,and many others that it all worked fine.... I am concerned about being one of the many,many people who are having issues. Just b/c it worked for your trip doesn't negate what OP wrote here,and other pp's have backed up. I agree, it's a pretty awful setup all around,and am desperately hoping that I end up like you, with no issues. I am not going to use a MB at all until I feel I have to with no other options.

I liked the comment earlier about how convenient the MBs were, "especially after returning to your resort room after a tiring day." Wow! Dipping into one's pocket to pull out a key card is a taxing chore?

I know. I shake my head every time I see someone post that. I just don't get it. :confused3

I personally find it even more convenient to have one of my kids open the door FOR me! :lmao: And I don't have to wear them on my wrist OR carry them in a pocket! :rotfl:

Telling people that it is a good idea to have an ID on their person for safety, medical and identification reasons is friendly advice, not a personal attack. Some more advice....You probably have a greater chance of having your wallet stolen by leaving it in your hotel room than you do of losing it while you have it with you. Also, before leaving home, make an enlarged, color copy of you driver's license or passport and store that in your room safe or in some other safe place. That way, if you do lose your actual ID, you will have a headstart in replacing it quickly. I don't kow about you all, but I don't have my DL or passport numbers committed to memory.

I do agree friendly advice is always welcome, and I do appreciate the friendly advice. But it is the advice put in the not so friendly way that I do have a problem with. Like I said before it was out of simple convenience that we choose not to have our wallets/purse with us when on Disney property. We always carry our IDs and other personal information with us at all other times. We also felt that our KTTW cards served as our IDs as we had everythig linked together, and in 15 years we never had any problems. After all that is what Disney has advertised for years. For our upcoming visit we will carry our IDs because of the problems with the new system that we have learned about through the friendly advice and personal experiences of some posters. That is why I originally posted the question if IDs were required.

I do agree friendly advice is always welcome, and I do appreciate the friendly advice. But it is the advice put in the not so friendly way that I do have a problem with. Like I said before it was out of simple convenience that we choose not to have our wallets/purse with us when on Disney property. We always carry our IDs and other personal information with us at all other times. We also felt that our KTTW cards served as our IDs as we had everythig linked together, and in 15 years we never had any problems. After all that is what Disney has advertised for years. For our upcoming visit we will carry our IDs because of the problems with the new system that we have learned about through the friendly advice and personal experiences of some posters. That is why I originally posted the question if IDs were required.

Ok, I debated whether to go here, but the curiosity is killing me.

So, on earlier trips, you carried your KTTW, but not your ID?

Nevermind. We carried our KTTW on our first trip and no cash. I mean, how much more trouble would it have been to carry cash? Somehow, we thought we were making our lives easier. I'm going to stop with the judgment now. Carry what you want ... and have a good trip.

It wasn't meant as an attack, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I legitimately don't know why carrying an id is a burden.

With FP+, I do get that it's easier to use your band than to pull out your ticket/KTTW. So I see that the MB frees you up in that regard.

I just don't see having a MG results in, "Whew, now we don't have to carry our ID!", like everything just got so much easier. I legitimately don't get it.

I also don't get why you would be more likely to lose your ID at WDW than anywhere else.

So I ask the questions. I'm assuming there's some piece of this I'm missing. :confused3

Thank you.
It is not that carrying an ID is a burden. I simply don't like carrying a purse with me and going on rides. It is nice not to have to carry anything with you. I do not feel comfortable caring my drivers licence in my pocket, not because I have ever lost anything from my pockets but because I could lose it and the consequences of it. We also felt that our KTTW served as our IDs. My kids are old enough to know what to do if they get separated. My fifteen years old carries her Iphone in her hand at all times, now I think that is a burden. But it is her personal choice just like it was mine not to carry a purse. As for our upcoming trip we will carry our IDs because of all the issues with the new system.

We also felt that our KTTW cards served as our IDs as we had everythig linked together, and in 15 years we never had any problems. After all that is what Disney has advertised for years.

But everyone should bear in mind that Disney does not advertise that a KTTW card will gain you access to a walk-in clinic, and there is no tapstile with a "green Mickey" at the emergency room. My teenager is still on my medical plan. If she gets injured, I am the one who has to admit her and that requires an ID and my medical card. None of us plan on having to use these facilities, but at the end of the day, one should always ask: "Which is the greater inconvenience...being in a situation where I don't have an ID with me and wishing I did, or having my ID on me and wishing I didn't?" Doesn't that question sort of answer itself?

I would always carry an ID and an insurance card. I think that it's safer in the event of an accident or other unforeseen event. The magic band doesn't really identify a person under many circumstances plus is way too unreliable.

Just my opinion.

But everyone should bear in mind that Disney does not advertise that a KTTW card will gain you access to a walk-in clinic, and there is no tapstile with a "green Mickey" at the emergency room. My teenager is still on my medical plan. If she gets injured, I am the one who has to admit her and that requires an ID and my medical card. None of us plan on having to use these facilities, but at the end of the day, one should always ask: "Which is the greater inconvenience...being in a situation where I don't have an ID with me and wishing I did, or having my ID on me and wishing I didn't?" Doesn't that question sort of answer itself?

:thumbsup2 I live by the motto "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Agreed. In an emergency, who wants to spend precious time swinging back by a hotel room to get ID? Or leaving the side of an injured loved one to go get it.

It was so hot, so what did Disney do??? Roll a water stand in the middle of the crowd... To sell! I have never seen anything like it at Disney! Complete disregard for their customers! We just did a 7 night Disney Cruise, so we are big fans of Disney, but we are done!

I felt the same way after our Land and Sea. Sea was GREAT! Land was mostly a disappointment (shout out for Brown Derby Fantasmic package being the highlight, that was it.)

I think we are better off with just the cruises at the moment. Fantasy looks AMAZING, I can't wait to sail her sometime. Otherwise, we are leaving WDW in the dust for now and seeking most "western" skies, ie DLR where the rides are in abundance (just a few less in their 2 parks to WDW's 4 parks!) and where Carsland rules and TSMM has a half hr wait.

I used to think cruising out of PC and hitting a few park days was the perfect Disney trip. But the land portion for us didn't work out well enough because of the new FP roll over and ridiculous lines. I felt like i had unfinished business. Not so on our 4 Day Magic. I had tons of funz!

see....I'm glad for you,and many others that it all worked fine.... I am concerned about being one of the many,many people who are having issues. Just b/c it worked for your trip doesn't negate what OP wrote here,and other pp's have backed up. I agree, it's a pretty awful setup all around,and am desperately hoping that I end up like you, with no issues. I am not going to use a MB at all until I feel I have to with no other options.

But why go into your trip believing it's all going to go wrong? You MAY have something go wrong. I still wouldn't let it sour your excitement for a trip.

And telling people they can't post about it working well for them doesn't sit right with me. It's a discussion board.

Sparkly said:
But why go into your trip believing it's all going to go wrong? You MAY have something go wrong. I still wouldn't let it sour your excitement for a trip.

And telling people they can't post about it working well for them doesn't sit right with me. It's a discussion board.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me? There's enough experiences posted that I'm not going into it expecting they will work.perfectly. that doesn't sour my excitement for the trip at all. I am just going to be prepared if something does go wrong. That means I will have CCs with me, in case it doesn't work for charging. It means having print outs of my reservation info, both hotel and dining, in case it is lost, screengrabs of.fp+...

Is rather prepare for those.options, ans ha e back.ups available,.than not plan for them and be in a park.unable to pay, or unable to get in to a park, etc.

Could we go back tot he KTTW card comments for a second. Can you still get them?

Yes, you can still get them. :) Just ask for them at check-in. If the cast member says the cards only work on room doors, ask for them anyway. The cards work for everything.

I was wondering has anyone tried using their MB and KTTW interchangeably without any problems. I'm also not sure if you can use your KTTW on fp+?

Yes, you can use them interchangeably - no problems. :) When I went in April, I used my card for everything, and my band a couple of times to test it.

You can also use your KTTW card on fastpass+. The card works great for everything.

edit: the card has to be swiped to get new Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards for some reason. I'm not sure why. I still had my band at the time, so I just used that. Otherwise it looked like the cast member was going to swipe the heck out of my card. It works fine for the Pirate map adventures, though.

I haven't seen a post telling people they can't share good experiences! I'm counting on having an excellent time on my next trip, but I want to be as prepared as I can be for any type of glitch that may arise. And I think everyone on this thread is interested in acheiving the same outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter