• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will in fact make MORE people smoke in the parks in my opinion. I have told a couple people already and they have said they will reconsider their next trips. I think its a disaster waiting to happen, people thought it was bad before with people smoking in the parks outside of designated areas, now that people have to smoke outside of the parks people will do it in every hidden corner. Does Disney really think that people will follow the rules now? They moved the smoking sections so far away that there was no reason so anyone to wander through without needing to have a cigarette. Yes I am a smoker and have ALWAYS hiked to the DSAs each time and have never EVER smoked anywhere I wasnt supposed to (before anyone comes at me with that). If this is the case then I think they should remove all the alcohol from the parks as well because I am sick of the double standard as someone who follows the rules. And ice? So I am staying at the resort (which does not have fridges with freezers in the rooms, so how am I supposed to freeze an ice pack???) and cannot bring in my small cooler for drinks/snacks/lunch and use ice? Im sure there is a logical reason behind it but I just cant figure it out!

There should be a zero tolerance policy for people are caught smoking in the parks. If you're caught, you are ejected from the park for the rest of th day.

No "I'm sorry I didn't know." You're caught, you're out.

The smokers were soooooooo much worse at USO when we were there last. People just walking around lighting up anywhere they darn well pleased. I'd be happy if they banned smoking there or at the very least enforced the DSA's.

Funny how people have such different experiences. We have never seen one person outside the DSAs smoking at Universal.

They are easy to find, benches with shade and out of the way so no one need walk through and plentiful. Most of them cannot be walked through as their situated in a place where there is no reason to. So the sheer set up makes smoking outside the areas very pointless.

As for not enforcing, while sitting in a DSA, I saw a guy talking on his phone and pacing. He went just outside the area but not into the flow of traffic. A CM was there sweeping up something and motioned him back into the smoking section.

On dd’s last trip, she mentioned seeing a guy going toward the smoking area and light his cigarette on the way. A CM saw him and asked him to please put it out until he actually was in the smoking area. She mentioned it because it impressed her that they were enforcing the rules.

There should be a zero tolerance policy for people are caught smoking in the parks. If you're caught, you are ejected from the park for the rest of th day.

They have the technology to implement the tracking of warnings on the "big brother" magic bands.

Not going to happen. They have already said they pretty much aren’t going to fully enforce it.

Yea except CMs are told or won't say anything, just like at the store where I work- pets aren't allowed, only real service dogs. But nobody will say anything to avoid having a scene. So you're going to end up with people just smoking wherever in the parks, when it would have been better to keep the designated areas and enforced them better.

The smokers were soooooooo much worse at USO when we were there last. People just walking around lighting up anywhere they darn well pleased. I'd be happy if they banned smoking there or at the very least enforced the DSA's.
We love Universal and have been AP Holders for over 10 years. I have to agree with you though on the smoking. It seems we always notice people smoking all over the place. We always joke around it must be the foreigners who are not used to having DSAs.

Just want to say thank you to Disney for helping me make up my mind. My wife was a major Disney fan and we went every year to Disney spending a minimum of $5000 for the trip along with a few thousand more on movie, video games house decorations, etc. She passed away in January and my children and I was thinking of going again this summer but wasn't sure if we'd enjoy it without her. Thanks to the smoking ban we decided not to go. Disney has decide we are not welcome there any more so we will spend our money else where. No more Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. I know I will save $5000-$8000 easily this year and my 4 grown children will too. Hopefully every smoker out there will make the same decision we have. We know it's Disneys option but it's also our option to #BoycottDisney

Thanks for the memories.
Disney will be just fine.

Just want to say thank you to Disney for helping me make up my mind. My wife was a major Disney fan and we went every year to Disney spending a minimum of $5000 for the trip along with a few thousand more on movie, video games house decorations, etc. She passed away in January and my children and I was thinking of going again this summer but wasn't sure if we'd enjoy it without her. Thanks to the smoking ban we decided not to go. Disney has decide we are not welcome there any more so we will spend our money else where. No more Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. I know I will save $5000-$8000 easily this year and my 4 grown children will too. Hopefully every smoker out there will make the same decision we have. We know it's Disneys option but it's also our option to #BoycottDisney

Thanks for the memories.
Just think of all the cigarettes you can buy now to feed your weakness! Yay Disney!!

Are you walking through them because they are in the main path and you don't have a choice or are you walking through them because that's just the way you want to go?

And aren't there like 2 in all of the MK before this? How are you constantly walking through 2 spots on opposite sides of the park?
I really don’t know. I just walk the way that interests me at the moment. I honestly do not research where the smoking places are, then try to avoid them.
I agree with one of the previous posters that Epcot seems to be the worst.

Very simply... I am an ex-smoker, and I agree with those that said they should just have enforced the DSAs. Seems rude to tell a whole group of people that they aren't wanted. (Yes, I know they can still go, just can't smoke in the parks...but I also remember what nicotine addiction is.)

Okay... A crack addiction can be all consuming as well, but you can’t do that in the parks either. I’m not seeing the issue.

As a former smoker I’ll say that it would have been inconvenient, but it wouldn’t have stopped me from enjoying the parks with my family. If it were TOO big of an issue for me, I would have needed to re-evaluate my priorities.

This peaked my curiosity, just because as I mentioned I seem to know a lot of smokers, although some of them are cigarette with a drink types. So I looked it up and this article at least agrees, and Science Daily is pretty reputable.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180709143909.htm

That is a very interesting article! I think maybe I haven't observed it in terms of smoking particularly just because I'm not really part of the young-adult scene right now. But I work in elementary and middle schools, and I have a high-schooler, and I definitely see the general trend of independence starting later. Kids today are pushed to do academic things so much earlier, but held back from doing "life" things until they're much older. (I know the driving thing is true in DS's circle - he's one of only a handful with a license/car.) Maybe kids just aren't unsupervised enough to start smoking as teens?

Legally speaking, it's kind of scary that kids aren't making their stupid mistakes until they're officially adults. (I don't necessarily mean smoking here, but I'm thinking the same will be true for things that would have been considered high school pranks back in the day.)

Okay... A crack addiction can be all consuming as well, but you can’t do that in the parks either. I’m not seeing the issue.

As a former smoker I’ll say that it would have been inconvenient, but it wouldn’t have stopped me from enjoying the parks with my family. If it were TOO big of an issue for me, I would have needed to re-evaluate my priorities.

Most importantly, crack isn't legal. Cigarettes are. Actually, just as important is the fact that we're not talking about crack! And of course not everything that is legal is allowed in Disney parks...and I understand they would like to phase it out...this just doesn't seem fair to smokers that they've accommodated for so long. There are still a lot of them out there.

I'm glad for you that your addiction wasn't that strong. I know that mine was.

Last edited:
Very simply... I am an ex-smoker, and I agree with those that said they should just have enforced the DSAs. Seems rude to tell a whole group of people that they aren't wanted. (Yes, I know they can still go, just can't smoke in the parks...but I also remember what nicotine addiction is.)

That is a bit dramatic. Disney isn't there to make sure an addict is able to get their fix throughout the day.
As an ex-smoker I say- deal with it. You want or need a cigarette- get walking to outside the gates. The walk isn't going to kill you.

That is a bit dramatic. Disney isn't there to make sure an addict is able to get their fix throughout the day.
As an ex-smoker I say- deal with it. You want or need a cigarette- get walking to outside the gates. The walk isn't going to kill you.

And you are entitled to your opinion, just as I've stated mine. :)

On the news and rumors board, someone posted a picture of where the area is supposed to be for MK ... it's kind of to the side of the boat launch on the water. I hope it's far enough from there that the smoke isn't going to drift onto the people waiting on the boats. It may be a DSA already, so if that's the case it is probably far enough to not be a problem.

So if smokers can't go a day in the park without, or at least with only 1-2 treks out there, how do they handle long flights? It just seems awful to be constantly thinking about where/when/how to get the next fix. I'm sorry for anyone stuck in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter