No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting aside the health risks to nonsmokers (asthma for example), cigarette smoke smells bad and it sticks to your hair and clothes! The one area in the Epcot World Showcase that was a DSA was impossible to avoid. Just walking past and downwind was nauseating. Because I had lung cancer I have to be careful and always carry a rescue inhaler with me. I have had to use it at Epcot.

As a smoker, I am sorry you had to deal with that. Honestly, that was Disney's fault. They put some of the DSAs in the most ridiculous places when there were other, off the beaten path places they could have used. I used to wonder who made those decisions.

If I was a betting woman, I would bet the reason they didn't is they know smokers would definitely not stay on property at all if that was the case. They would stay off site. With international visitors that may affect that bottom line and they don't want to go there.
Oh, I am absolutely sure it all has to do with the bottom line. They determined it is not going to hurt their profit margin by moving the DSAs but it might if they eliminate them completely.

That is BS ....IMHO. Some DSA's were impossible to avoid. Such as the ones on pathways or where I posted about the ones in Epcot. Just trying to walk to the international gateway you passed smokers on the benches that were DSA's. This is not on the nonsmokers!

Just because a DSA was unavoidable doesn't mean I used it. I was talking about ME not all smokers. And like I said above, that was on Disney.

My town has banned smoking in public outdoor spaces and many private businesses have banned it on their property.
I doubt Disney property will ever be fully smoke free, but smoke free parks are nice.
Our entire business district (most of the city) is smoke free, including sidewalks, alleys, parks, buildings, everything. Restaurants/Bars aren't even allowed to put smoking decks or allow any kind of smoking on any part of their property. Only place you can smoke is in your car and some businesses have even banned smoking in cars when you are in their parking lots as they don't want the smell to carry in with you.

I have to say, it is awesome to walk around downtown after going out to dinner as the sidewalks are all smoke free. No people hanging outside the restaurant front doors or back in the alley having their after dinner cigarette.

And it hasn't hurt business at all, in fact, it has increased business. Since the anti-smoking movement is getting stronger daily, for every smoker that boycotts the city, there are 3 more non-smokers that take their place to enjoy the smoke free environment.

Last edited:
Just because a DSA was unavoidable doesn't mean I used it. I was talking about ME not all smokers. And like I said above, that was on Disney.
Well, Disney listened to us and have now made the decision to ban smoking in the parks...so now it will be up to the smokers to comply or either go elsewhere or quit smoking.

Even some of the beaches here in my home state of Fl are banning smoking in some areas.

Even some of the beaches here in my home state of Fl are banning smoking in some areas.

This is great to hear! I've gotten to the beach early am with young children, set up our stuff then had to move because even though the beach is near empty chainsmokers come and set up right next to us. I don't understand people who do that. And I'd rather just schlep all of our stuff down the beach 2,3 x rather than say anything as it just isn't worth it. Once I was at the park pushing my toddlers in swings when another woman came by, parked her stroller next to the swings and started puffing away. I asked if she could move away from all of the children and she went off on me, cussing and yelling and it was time for us to just get out of there! My kids were very young and upset about leaving (UGGH) and I was having a hard time buckling them in. The smoker woman's 10ish age daughter was kind and came over to help me buckle them. I felt really bad for her because she was so sweet. This woman was so crazy she even dragged her kids out of there to try and follow us home. People who don't care about there own kids (or selves) won't care about yours and it's better not to engage.

Do the people that are saying they aren’t going to spend xxxxx dollars at Disney think that anybody cares?

The 85% of the US population (have no idea what % of foreign visitors smoke) that doesn’t smoke won’t miss having smokers around. Some of the smokers loved ones may have to miss Disney but that is the smoker’s choice.

A very unaccommodating accommodation. :smokin:
Unfortunately for smokers, businesses are finding that it is a boost to their bottom line to eliminate smoking and be able to advertise a smoke-free environment. Just like our city increased business by banning any and all smoking anywhere, even on private property, Disney is most likely banking on increasing business due to being able to advertise that parks are smoke free.

It’s that way here. You can’t smoke within 500 ft of the door.
Five hundred feet?
Basically Disney and non smoking guests should make accommodations/accept the inconveniences of your choices to smoke because it's too onerous for you to shoulder the burden of your habit?
No, she didn't say that. Her family will likely make accommodations - by avoiding Disney.

What the heck does non smoking guests have to do with my habit? I don't smoke outside the DSAs. I only use the ones that are out of the way so if you walk by my cigarette when I am not on the main path, that is on you not me.

I didn't say Disney should make accommodations for anything. They could have done a few things besides a ban, like, I don't know. . . enforcing the rule they already had? (since they basically aren't going to enforce this one either, its not even going to be an issue for some smokers). I am not going to chew something that makes me sick to suit you, Disney or anyone else. Do you choose where you eat by what is convenient or what you like to eat? Because I smoke, I should choose a restaurant that none of my grandkids will eat the food from so that its close to the gate? Not going to happen either. If that was the only choice to make, I will go off site to eat and be done with it.

But I can choose to spend my money where I want to and where I enjoy my day. If I or anyone else chooses to not spend our money at Disney because of the smoking ban, the paying to park, the ridiculous prices, the hundred and one extra money grabs or because they think they can't get a flipping straw; its out choice and we get to make it.

I will be changing the way we do Disney but we have been changing it anyway so just one more change.

Disney's made plenty of changes that have various visitors changing their visits or stop visiting altogether. We're in the latter group. Our reasons are solely focused on actual operational changes they've made to the park experience itself, not our expectations of the company accommodating our personal lifestyle/habit. When I discuss the reasons why we're unhappy with the changes that have been made I'm told that the decisions are business, Disney is a business, change is just a part of the parks improving and it won't matter if we choose not to visit anymore because there are more than enough guests to take our place.

When it comes to Disney not accommodating each and every one of a smoker's preferences in relation to visiting the parks, full stop, smokers' preferences should be accommodated, full stop. Business considerations do not matter. You've enumerated an answer to each and every suggestion to why any deviation to your being able to smoke in the parks exactly as you've been accustomed doesn't suit your wants or needs. Your needs should be given a full hearing and full consideration. Nonsmoking visitors like myself and my family are expected to roll with changes Disney makes that we don't like without comment or simply give up on Disney altogether, but Disney making changes to a smoking policy and somehow smokers' are entitled to accommodation as they see fit. Business decisions, the increasing premium on space in the parks and the experience of other guests should all step back to accommodate the special needs of smokers.

You and your family shouldn't bear any inconveniences associated with your chosen habit, that burden clearly belongs with Disney and other guests.

Five hundred feet?

No, she didn't say that. Her family will likely make accommodations - by avoiding Disney.

Yeah, it says 500 ft and then the restaurants put the ashtray right at the door and its not enforced on that part. Confusing. I just make sure mine is out halfway between the car and the door and then stick in the ashtray.

No, she didn't say that. She said that she would change the way they do Disney.

We didn't like changes Disney made to actual park operations' impact on visiting and we avoid Disney. I'm told there are plenty more guests to take our place.

We have also talked about just a couples trip to WDW when we get through with the house. Probably not going to happen. Too many other places we can go, where we won’t have the inconvenience.
I wholeheartedly agree there are plenty of places. I usually advocate for exploring the big beautiful world. It's your decision and I'm not trying to change it or whatever.

Respectfully, I'm just surprised that of all the things the moving of a DSA becomes your breaking point to go elsewhere. I say this having people around me smoke (via my mom's side of the family though pretty much all have stopped smoking due to health reasons and my best friend) it must be a very strong urge to smoke that all the things available to do at Disney, all the fun experiences to be had, all of the joy to see, that the moving of the DSA to outside the park is the line in the sand to go elsewhere.

Since when we go, we are there as a family, we do things as a family. But, we have always done it so that the kids didn’t go to the DSA. So, for example, while dh and kids rode Space Mountain, I would go smoke. They come off the ride, I would take them in one of the shops to look around or to get a drink or ride something else while dh smoked. Then we went on with our day. Actually at most we will smoke 3-4 times during the day. It’s the trek all the way out of the park that is the problem.
I'm not seeing though why you couldn't still do those things. Would there be longer gaps in time because of walking outside the gates and then to walk back inside the gates? Yeah. But you could still ride several rides or see a show or watch streetmosphere activities while your husband goes for a smoke. And your husband can do the same while you go smoke. You could even look at what you can do/see/go on that is closer to the front of the parks so you are all reunited quicker.

Well, Disney listened to us and have now made the decision to ban smoking in the parks...so now it will be up to the smokers to comply or either go elsewhere or quit smoking.

Gee Whiz there really is no reason to get all up in the air. Disney chose where to put the DSAs, not me or any other smoker who was following the rules. I realized that some were not in good places and avoided those. The one in AK was like on a dead end path, in the shade with fans blowing on you--how could that possibly be bothering other guests? You would have had to come looking for it.

They made a choice and now I make a choice. Simple

No, she didn't say that. She said that she would change the way they do Disney.

We didn't like changes Disney made to actual park operations' impact on visiting and we avoid Disney. I'm told there are plenty more guests to take our place.

And is that not me accommodating? How is that expecting Disney or you to do anything? Am I somehow required to stay on site for an overpriced room? Am I somehow required to buy their overpriced food?

Somehow the changes I make are more insulting to Disney than what you choose to do? I am really not seeing your point?

I'm happy about the large stroller ban. Even on the buses they are annoying. We always seem to have the Dad who doesn't know how it folds taking up time and space trying to get it closed, then walking thru the bus hitting everyone in the legs with the huge stroller. Last time a mom and dad each had a huge stroller, multiple backpacks, a gallon jug of water, etc. It took them forever to get on and off the bus. Maybe wait til the kids can walk?

Gee Whiz there really is no reason to get all up in the air. Disney chose where to put the DSAs, not me or any other smoker who was following the rules. I realized that some were not in good places and avoided those. The one in AK was like on a dead end path, in the shade with fans blowing on you--how could that possibly be bothering other guests? You would have had to come looking for it.

They made a choice and now I make a choice. Simple

Yep, simple. There is some helpful info in my signature...tobacco free Florida

Unfortunately for smokers, businesses are finding that it is a boost to their bottom line to eliminate smoking and be able to advertise a smoke-free environment. Just like our city increased business by banning any and all smoking anywhere, even on private property, Disney is most likely banking on increasing business due to being able to advertise that parks are smoke free.

Of course. But as I said before, I agree with those that said Disney could just enforce the DSAs. Also, I believe, as others have said, that people are more likely to light up just anywhere now since we all know the CM's aren't going to go to the trouble of stopping them. They could be making it worse instead of better. Imagine if they made line jumping against the rules...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter