No more saving seats for the parade

i just came back from Disney... i still see a lot of blankets on the ground, although the ropes are in place.

Comment from another blogger :
One PO'd guest said that camping out along Main Street is her family's favorite thing to do at Disneyland. HELLO?! That's the purpose of city parks and beaches, not a theme park. If you're family likes camping out, there are plenty of freeway overpasses they could park under and have a great time..

LOL.... I would gladly have this family camp outside in my garden and charges them only $50 per person (will throw in some packages of chips as well)

LOL.... I would gladly have this family camp outside in my garden and charges them only $50 per person (will throw in some packages of chips as well)

Great idea! Throw in a cupcake and you could probably get $75. ;)

My family and I spent 6 days there in February. And, as I am a Disney-nut, my husband hasn't spent longer than 3 seconds thinking/planning/scheming/obsessing (just a bit:rolleyes1) on anything Disney. When we walked onto Main Street a little past 4pm on our 1st day he asked me "What's going on with all the blankets? It looks like Tent-City on I-5 in Seattle". When I told him it was for the parade he asked when the parade was. Needless to say when I told him sometime after 7pm he had quite the reaction:rotfl2:.

Honestly, if a family/group wants to wait together for a parade it doesn't bother me. But, mostly all we saw were blankets, strollers, and sometimes just a leg sprawled across a curb or bench with a lone adult defending the territory. If the parade is that important to everyone then everyone must wait.

That's how I feel about it. But let's be honest. That's not what people were doing.

I love the "HELLO?!". What a closed minded person this blogger is. I, too, enjoyed "camping" out for the parades
at Disneyland. I'm sorry you feel the same way, LizzyS. To me the "purpose" of Disneyland is what each individual
makes of it. Waiting for several hours (clogging the street as some call it) was a big part of our trip - perhaps even
a favorite things to do there.

But clearly most of you feel that is not what MY family should like to do. And Disney is now keeping us from doing it.
We'll get over it. I only wish people were more accepting of others favorite things to do.

Hey, I don't blame you! We don't mind waiting for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks either. We grab something to eat, talk with each other, people watch. It really shouldn't matter to people if someone wants to spend their time waiting for the parade as it doesn't effect them. If they don't want to wait that long, they don't have to.

The problem that I have with it is people spreading out 2+ large blankets and then having only one person wait. I was the poster a couple months back who saw someone with 15+ blankets sprawled down a section of Main Street with one guy sitting and holding down the fort for all of it. Asking a passing security officer, he said as long as one person was with the blankets, they could save as much as they want. We've also seen people park ECV's and strollers down Main Street, sitting empty for an hour or two, then returning 15 minutes before the parade. It isn't fair to those who choose to spend their time waiting for the parade while those other people get prime parade viewing plus whatever they else they were able to do because they didn't have to wait. I just wish Disney would crack down on those people, not the people who already have their whole family together and don't mind waiting.

Hey, I don't blame you! We don't mind waiting for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks either. We grab something to eat, talk with each other, people watch. It really shouldn't matter to people if someone wants to spend their time waiting for the parade as it doesn't effect them. If they don't want to wait that long, they don't have to.

The problem that I have with it is people spreading out 2+ large blankets and then having only one person wait. I was the poster a couple months back who saw someone with 15+ blankets sprawled down a section of Main Street with one guy sitting and holding down the fort for all of it. Asking a passing security officer, he said as long as one person was with the blankets, they could save as much as they want. We've also seen people park ECV's and strollers down Main Street, sitting empty for an hour or two, then returning 15 minutes before the parade. It isn't fair to those who choose to spend their time waiting for the parade while those other people get prime parade viewing plus whatever they else they were able to do because they didn't have to wait. I just wish Disney would crack down on those people, not the people who already have their whole family together and don't mind waiting.
The thing is, yes, it does. It makes an already congested space much more difficult to get through, takes away the ambiance and creates animosity between those who feel they were here first and those that just want to see the parade. The attitude that people who don't wait for hours are less than deserving of seeing the parade rubs me the wrong way. If people didn't camp out there wouldn't be this vicious cycle of earlier and earlier camping out. Everyone would be able to just walk up near parade time and do something crazy like enjoy the parade. Once upon a time it was like that. That Disney let it get so out of hand has always baffled me. I'm glad they're finally doing something about it.

The thing is, yes, it does. It makes an already congested space much more difficult to get through, takes away the ambiance and creates animosity between those who feel they were here first and those that just want to see the parade. The attitude that people who don't wait for hours are less than deserving of seeing the parade rubs me the wrong way. If people didn't camp out there wouldn't be this vicious cycle of earlier and earlier camping out. Everyone would be able to just walk up near parade time and do something crazy like enjoy the parade. Once upon a time it was like that. That Disney let it get so out of hand has always baffled me. I'm glad they're finally doing something about it.

Agree. How many posts have there been over the last few months about tips/tricks/etc. from people wanting to see the parade on their once in a lifetime or annual trip? It seems there is a LOT of stress over watching the parade because people are saving the spaces so early that they feel the only way their munchkins can see the parade is if they start waiting at lunch time. And it is a vicious cycle!

Bit off topic here, but I think that is part of the problem with Peter Pan. I know it's low capacity and slow loading, but people feel they HAVE to get there first.

I'm here now for the second parade. For the first parade, they started letting people sit on the curb around 5 (parade was at 6:45). Curb was not nearly filled yet at that time though.
If they are going to institute this, I wish set up would be even later. 1.45 hrs is still a long time!

We just got back from Disneyland and watched the second parade (8:45) Monday night. I had no idea this was the new policy. We hopped back into Disneyland after CA closed at 8pm, so probably about 8:10 or so we were on main street and I was very surprised that the curbs were very empty. The parks had been packed even with the rain all day. We grabbed a spot for all 5 of us, but kept my 5 year old in our umbrella stroller, parked right at the curb. No one asked us to close it or move it. My husband did try to get up to get food, but I wouldn't let him. I HATE having to keep people from taking spots. I got up to buy a balloon from the cast member when they down Main Street a little, but no one said anything to me when I got up.

If they are going to institute this, I wish set up would be even later. 1.45 hrs is still a long time!

If they wait too long then it becomes like a really weird game of musical chairs and whoever just happens to be walking by at the right time wins the front row.

Agreed! if the parade is 6:45 why not 6:00? or even 6:30?!
6:30 would be awesome, possibly crowd insanity, but that'd be a fun spectator sport....nevermind watching the actual parade, the entertainment would be watching the 6:30 rush for a parade seat!
:joker::joker:

I think 1 to 1-1/2 hours before the parade would be about right. It can't be too late or everyone would show up at the same time. Also, if it's too late then people will just find other ways to hover and wait and the policy will fail.

I'm glad they're working on this. But they could have started smaller and been more aggressive about picking up blankets and not allowing anyone to save more space than it takes for a parent to take a small child to the bathroom. I'll be curious to see how this goes over time. The story posted here a few months ago about the single person saving spots on Main Street with something like 5 blankets was beyond crazy.

A few years ago we saw the epitome of "blanket saving" while waiting for Fantasmic. A Gentleman( he was indeed NOT that) had five to six blankets spread out. He was in a ECV. As the waiting progressed people would ask or come near and he seemed to be giving the spots to those he chose. Then we caught on after witnessing him take money. He was "selling" the spots! He also told off color jokes and made sexist remarks. It got real weird real quick. He invited several young ladies who were decked out in Disney Bounding style esque short skirt outfits and it got uncomfortable. We mentioned the behavior to a CM. We couldn't fathom how much $ he was making if he was a local and was doing it two shows a night.

A few years ago we saw the epitome of "blanket saving" while waiting for Fantasmic. A Gentleman( he was indeed NOT that) had five to six blankets spread out. He was in a ECV. As the waiting progressed people would ask or come near and he seemed to be giving the spots to those he chose. Then we caught on after witnessing him take money. He was "selling" the spots! He also told off color jokes and made sexist remarks. It got real weird real quick. He invited several young ladies who were decked out in Disney Bounding style esque short skirt outfits and it got uncomfortable. We mentioned the behavior to a CM. We couldn't fathom how much $ he was making if he was a local and was doing it two shows a night.
Oh my gosh! That is absolutely disgusting and terrible.

I agree that waiting 2+ hours on Main Street is excessive. I was just talking with my mom about when we first went and it was the Mulan parade. I said, you think we waited about 30 minutes for the parade? She said she doesn't even remember waiting that long for it! I was 2-3 years old, so don't really remember any of it. Wouldn't it be great if things were like that again? I doubt that it will ever happen though. Not with the current crowds!

That's so crazy!!! I think I even remember hearing about that going on a few years ago. What did the CM do? I bet his little business didn't last very long after that...

I couldn't agree more! I was begining to wonder how to get a spot (non-curb) and see the floats without having to wait hours. I'm glad to see that vicious cycle of people saving spots earlier and earlier and earlier. I don't mind the rope areas and seat saving starting around an hour before the parade. I'm sure the time they start setting up could be influenced by the available number of CMs.

That's so crazy!!! I think I even remember hearing about that going on a few years ago. What did the CM do? I bet his little business didn't last very long after that...

She just said thank you, blah blah, we know who he is with a helpless gesture etc. That's why we figured he was a regular fixture.

His name is Bud. He' s a HUGE Fantasmic fan. However, since I have known him, he has never accepted money and even refused the gesture a few times that I saw him.

CMs, Managers,and Fantasmic staff were fully aware of him as he was there every Friday and Saturday for the 9pm show and if he was selling spots, I'm sure they wouldn't be so friendly towards him. He also never stayed for the second show. Not sure what he does with Fantasmic now being FP only, but I have seen him driving around on his ECV with Christmas lights all over it during the Electrical Parade

His thing was that he's and older guy who loves Fantasmic and liked to give his spots to guests, mostly families he felt deserved it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter