No Longer Affordable JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, not what I mean at all. I don't want anything for free, nor do I buy cheap quality stuff - I'm the kind of person who will pay more for good quality stuff. My house is full of furniture that is made in Canada or US.
I wasn't talking about you, alone. You - and I, for that matter - are perhaps very different from the typical returning visitor. We're so strange in so many ways, vis a vis WDW, being members of this forum. So put aside yourself and try to think of this from the standpoint of other potential return visitors. In doing so, you'll come to understand what I outlined.

What does this have to do with anything? I'm not talking about repeat visitors - if food is cold, it's cold.
That is only if it really is cold and cold as consistently as you seem to perceive it as such. The fact that different people - different returning visitors - different returning visitors who are members of this forum - perceive things differently indicates that there is some disconnection. I cannot recall the last time that I was served hot food cold at WDW, and I would be very persnickety about that. I've written scathing reviews of WDW restaurants just in the last few months, but hot food cold isn't mentioned in any of them - it didn't happen to us. I could wonder what are you doing wrong to have that happen to you so much, but that wouldn't make sense. Different people will see things differently based on a number of factors.

So, I am not referring to repeat vistors becoming jaded
And so we'll have to agree to disagree about that. What we can say with some measure of assurance is that Disney has a vested interest in knowing the actual answer, and that their actions seem to indicate that their intelligence seems to indicate that I'm right, but it isn't worth quibbling about beyond that.

So, are you assuming that I don't understand as a DVC member how it works?
You relayed your impressions; I was relaying mine in response, that being that returning guests who have more negative impressions of things that other returning guests are likely to be affected by the common human contexts I mentioned, i.e., becoming jaded, familiarity breeding contempt.

If necessary, please read that as me saying "all of them except you"; there is no need to take anything personally.

It takes good balance, and sometimes, Disney's balance is off in this regard.
That's your personal opinion, and that's okay.
They are marketing to all guests to become DVC members, yet they are now at a point where there may be too many members - housekeeping is suffering in some areas, and MS is overwhelmed at times. How are they going to improve?
They're going to improve because they are conscientiously monitoring and taking action when appropriate, not whenever any specific guest or guests want them to. I think that distinction is critical. Complaints are the very worst way of gathering normalized feedback, and therefore are only used as such when there are no other measures available. Disney has available to it, and employs, many other methods that provide far more reliable and actionable information for ensuring their efforts are constructive, long-term.

Okay, now you've again gone beyond any reasonable interpretation of facts in evidence. The only basis I can see for such an assertion is a personal distaste for what they're doing, because there are no real indications that they are doing what you suggest. I think that's going to be the manner of it - there isn't really any sound basis for the criticisms - just antipathy.

I have no antipathy. I just hate to see slipshod service and underwhelming food. In the real world, restaurants succeed when they are consistant with service and food preparation. WDW no longer maintains those standards. Ergo, I go elsewhere.

I have no antipathy. I just hate ...
Well, that's what I meant by antipathy. Like Tiger, what you perceived is what you perceived. If there are other people not perceiving that, then there is a disconnection. And it isn't prejudicial. Things just may be suited to some and not suited to others. And even that could change over time because people change.

That is only if it really is cold and cold as consistently as you seem to perceive it as such. The fact that different people - different returning visitors - different returning visitors who are members of this forum - perceive things differently indicates that there is some disconnection. I cannot recall the last time that I was served hot food cold at WDW, and I would be very persnickety about that. I've written scathing reviews of WDW restaurants just in the last few months, but hot food cold isn't mentioned in any of them - it didn't happen to us. I could wonder what are you doing wrong to have that happen to you so much, but that wouldn't make sense. Different people will see things differently based on a number of factors.

Cold food is what prompted us to walk. We had ice cold string beans and limp, soggy, cold french fries at Chefs. And while my husband's beef was warm, it was tough and cooked incorrectly. When we racked up a $200 bill for lousy food, he hit the roof. We haven't been back since.

Well, that's what I meant by antipathy. Like Tiger, what you perceived is what you perceived. If there are other people not perceiving that, then there is a disconnection. And it isn't prejudicial. Things just may be suited to some and not suited to others. And even that could change over time because people change.

Oh, I agree. But it appears that it's happening with increasing frequency. If you take a look around, there are many complaints about food on these boards. And I'm not just talking price....it appears to be quality of preparation.

I'm not sure what we'll do for our next (if and when it happens) trip. Out of pocket is too expensive for the quality of food. The dining plan for us is too confining based on our park hopping tendencies. If we go during a period when hours are short, we'll just eat offsite.

If you take a look around, there are many complaints about food on these boards. And I'm not just talking price....it appears to be quality of preparation.

For me, the quality is the most troubling part of it. Price is what it is, and we know that we're captive and should expect to pay more than we otherwise would to some extent. When the food is just not good, though, its gets tougher to swallow, pun intended. That's what led us to conclude that if the food wasn't going to be that good anyway, we'd just take the focus off of that, eat as a means of just providing sustenance most of the time, and devote more attention to things that we know we're going to enjoy, like shows, attractions, etc.

On my last trip, for example, I thoroughly enjoyed the burger I had at Pecos Bill's, and actually liked it much more than most of the TS meals I had. With that being the case, what's the incentive to spend the time and money associated with a TS meal, when I could just grab a burger there for less and get on with my day?

Oh, I agree. But it appears that it's happening with increasing frequency.
The gods must be shining on me. I had problems - mostly at Tutto Italia - but nothing hot was served cold. And I've had bad service, like we had at Tutto Italia, before, five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen years ago, etc. People have been complaining about inconsistent food and service quality, and the restaurants being overpriced, for a very long time. However, many seem to present the way things are as part of a downward trend, instead of just the way things have always been, taking into consideration normal business cycles and some attributable trends (i.e., how DDP would affect what is actually offered and such). However, I don't see any basis for asserting that WDW is any less of a "value" now than it was a decade ago... if you wish, I would surely agree that it has always been roughly as "bad" of a value as it is now, give-or-take.

The gods must be shining on me. I had problems - mostly at Tutto Italia - but nothing hot was served cold. And I've had bad service, like we had at Tutto Italia, before, five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen years ago, etc. People have been complaining about inconsistent food and service quality, and the restaurants being overpriced, for a very long time. However, many seem to present the way things are as part of a downward trend, instead of just the way things have always been, taking into consideration normal business cycles and some attributable trends (i.e., how DDP would affect what is actually offered and such). However, I don't see any basis for asserting that WDW is any less of a "value" now than it was a decade ago... if you wish, I would surely agree that it has always been roughly as "bad" of a value as it is now, give-or-take.

I may faint now....

I guess I've been lucky also. We've visited WDW many, many times in the last 10 years (I'm a newbie compared to many) and up until our 2 last trips, we've had good service and quite good food. Up until that point, we were more than content with the food quality verses the price. Yes, it was vacation pricing....we've been around enough to adjust for that...but the food was fresh and enjoyable. We hit all sorts of restaurants...from Casey's to California Grill and enjoyed every meal. Things started to look shaky on our next to last trip....Spoodles was decidedly bad food. Wolfgang Puck was blah. California Grill was overcrowded and rushed...and the food was off....not bad, just off. And then the last trip.... Chefs just blew us out of the water. My husband wasn't thrilled that previous trip and Chefs just pushed him out the door.

At that point, people were still talking about how good the food was at WDW. We weren't. And we haven't been back. Fast forward to today and more and more people are experiencing and commenting on the same problems we were experiencing 3 years ago.

We just started looking at planning a trip in the next year and we're not sure we're going to do it. We love, love, love eating a sit down dinner and counter service won't cut it. We don't mind the cost even though it's inflated. We do look for consistancy. That's our main complaint. I guess we would eat inconsistant food at a much lower cost. But we can't at WDW and we don't have to elsewhere.....

For me, the quality is the most troubling part of it. Price is what it is, and we know that we're captive and should expect to pay more than we otherwise would to some extent. When the food is just not good, though, its gets tougher to swallow, pun intended. That's what led us to conclude that if the food wasn't going to be that good anyway, we'd just take the focus off of that, eat as a means of just providing sustenance most of the time, and devote more attention to things that we know we're going to enjoy, like shows, attractions, etc.

On my last trip, for example, I thoroughly enjoyed the burger I had at Pecos Bill's, and actually liked it much more than most of the TS meals I had. With that being the case, what's the incentive to spend the time and money associated with a TS meal, when I could just grab a burger there for less and get on with my day?

I totally agree with you....even about Pecos Bill's. Our problem is that we enjoy a sit down dinner every evening....it's our chance to unwind. And we're so disappointed with WDW sit down food that we've just skipped the whole vacation and spent our discretionary income elsewhere.

I guess I've been lucky also. We've visited WDW many, many times in the last 10 years (I'm a newbie compared to many) and up until our 2 last trips, we've had good service and quite good food.
Sounds like you really have been lucky. If I have a chance (work is slow this week, so I might get home at a reasonable hour) I'll try to dig out some of my restaurant reviews from the 1990s. I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm pretty sure there's a bad review of service at Bistro de Paris; I know for sure that there's a very negative review of the atmosphere at Flying Fish; bad food reviews were not uncommon either, including Nine Dragons, one of the predecessors of the rotating restaurant in the Land, and Cape May Cafe. (Note that I recently posted not one but two very positive reviews of Cape May Cafe, so things get better, too.) And all of these things were in the context of value, i.e., for price paid. I remember forgiving Sci-Fi serious mediocrity based on the fact that it was so much less expensive than Brown Derby, so it was reasonable expect a lot less.

I wasn't talking about you, alone. You - and I, for that matter - are perhaps very different from the typical returning visitor. We're so strange in so many ways, vis a vis WDW, being members of this forum. So put aside yourself and try to think of this from the standpoint of other potential return visitors. In doing so, you'll come to understand what I outlined.

Sorry, I'm an English teacher, so I took it very literally, since you quoted me. I don't use the collective 'you', nor do I encourage my students to use it, as it makes for confusion. I do understand you, just don't agree with all of it.:thumbsup2

I'm not one who has complained of cold food very much at all - not sure where you got that from? I just used cold as an easy example, as it's a pretty consistent factor at some of the buffets. You are very lucky that you haven't been served cold food, as we have, at several different restaurants over the years...from character buffets to Signatures. I come from an Italian restaurant family, and so cold food is not acceptable. Now, I know that Disney serves thousands of people per day, and does a pretty good job of it, but cold food needs to be an area that they are constantly in check of, as it could be indicative of server issues, kitchen issues or warming station problems.

And so we'll have to agree to disagree about that. What we can say with some measure of assurance is that Disney has a vested interest in knowing the actual answer, and that their actions seem to indicate that their intelligence seems to indicate that I'm right, but it isn't worth quibbling about beyond that.

Of course it's not worth quibbling about, as you are correct. :rotfl2:

That's your personal opinion, and that's okay. They're going to improve because they are conscientiously monitoring and taking action when appropriate, not whenever any specific guest or guests want them to. I think that distinction is critical. Complaints are the very worst way of gathering normalized feedback, and therefore are only used as such when there are no other measures available. Disney has available to it, and employs, many other methods that provide far more reliable and actionable information for ensuring their efforts are constructive, long-term.

Hmmm....so what about for restaurants? Being from an Italian restaurant family, complaints and praise are the best way of gauging customer satisfaction. Not sure why you think otherwise? How else are you going to get customer reactions? You are not going to hand out surveys at each table, as that is time consuming. Restauranteurs absolutely need customer feedback, both positive and negative, not sure why Disney would be different in this regard? It takes good procedures and policies to weed out legitimate complaints/concerns from fake ones, and that is very good business, as that customer feedback is invaluable, especially in regards to new menus, food items, etc.

Cold food is what prompted us to walk. We had ice cold string beans and limp, soggy, cold french fries at Chefs. And while my husband's beef was warm, it was tough and cooked incorrectly. When we racked up a $200 bill for lousy food, he hit the roof. We haven't been back since.

Oh, I agree. But it appears that it's happening with increasing frequency. If you take a look around, there are many complaints about food on these boards. And I'm not just talking price....it appears to be quality of preparation.

I'm not sure what we'll do for our next (if and when it happens) trip. Out of pocket is too expensive for the quality of food. The dining plan for us is too confining based on our park hopping tendencies. If we go during a period when hours are short, we'll just eat offsite.

Yup. We have had cold food more over the past few years, since the inception of the DP. We have pretty much eaten everywhere, so we really know our restaurants and meals, and it has been happening way more often as of late.

You are very lucky, as cold food is a very common complaint. I've heard people discussing it at the restaurants and stopping to speak to managers many times. And, I will wholeheartedly disagree that Disney always operated in this fashion. Sure you can find bad reviews over the years on these boards, but the past few years, it's becoming so common, that many of us loyal guests who have given some restaurants 2 or 3 chances, won't be back. We have eaten pretty much everywhere, and we have seen a total downward trend in quality and presentation of food. We've had cold meals, meals that were half the size that they were 3 months prior (cost cutting), and meals that were totally changed with cheaper ingredients. I have years of photos in which to compare food, and so it makes for interesting comparisons and discussions.

Sure, with the economy the way it is, you have to watch your costs, but Disney's profit margins are huge, so I don't think it's cost cutting (as it would be for my family, yet they don't do it, as quality is always number 1 for them), as much as larger and larger profit margins. Great for shareholders, but not so great for those of us who spent $28.00 to eat with Mickey a few years ago, and now are being charged $45.00, with less food offerings and worse service. Sure, Disney can charge what they want for character meals, as that is a premium service, and Chef Mickey's has always been pretty bad, but on our last trip, believe it or not, we actually noticed a positive change for the better with the food, so that's good. Go figure!

For the most part though, I think Disney doesn't sweat the small details in regards to food, because the restaurants are packed. They do take the guests for granted in this respect, because you are correct, that for the most part, most guests are satisfied, and if they aren't , they aren't going to take time out of their lifetime trip to Disney, to complain. Those of us loyal guests who have eaten everywhere have noticed a downward trend though, in regards to quality of food, and it is getting to the point with peak season upcharges, to not be affordable for many families. I will agree that it doesn't need to be, but, in this respect, the DP helps Disney fill the restaurants in areas where service and food may be lacking.

Tiger :)

I totally agree with you....even about Pecos Bill's. Our problem is that we enjoy a sit down dinner every evening....it's our chance to unwind. And we're so disappointed with WDW sit down food that we've just skipped the whole vacation and spent our discretionary income elsewhere.

I am like you. A nice dinner is had at home every night with candles and music. It is how we live. I don't want anything less when I go away on vacation, provided that I have chosen a vacation that affords that opportunity. But I can still enjoy WDW. If you go away for 7 days and 6 nights, you should be able to do quite well having dinners at:

bluezoo
Shula's
Il Mulino
Victoria & Albert's
Citrico's
California Grill
Flying Fish
Jiko
Wolfgang Puck Upstairs Dining Room
Bistro de Paris

That is ten places to dine that shouldn't let you down and won't have you compromising your standards. If you cannot cobble together a dining strategy out of these places, then there isn't really anything at WDW that will ever please you.

I don't use the collective 'you', nor do I encourage my students to use it, as it makes for confusion.
Amen. This coincidentally came up in another thread this morning - how many people use "the big 'we'" when the really mean "I". Good for you for trying to get us all to stop doing that sort of thing! :thumbsup2

I'm not one who has complained of cold food very much at all - not sure where you got that from?
From this:
I just used cold as an easy example, as it's a pretty consistent factor at some of the buffets.
You also went on about cold food some more, later in your reply.

I am not doing anything wrong at all... that would be a silly comment on your part.
Which is what I said. The point that perhaps wasn't clear is that saying so was "silly" (or as I put it, doesn't "make sense") for the same reason what I was replying to was "silly" (doesn't "make sense").

Of course it's not worth quibbling about, as you are correct. :rotfl2:
You missed the point: You say X; I say Y. Neither of us have knowing the right answer as our jobs; neither of us expend the time and energy necessary to gather the information necessary to say definitively what is the right answer for Disney. We're both just guessing.

That's not where Disney is in this. They live and die, figuratively speaking, based on getting this right.

complaints are the best way of gauging customer satisfaction. Not sure why you think otherwise?
Because I know from professional research I did and was able to benefit from in my previous career. You say you have experience in a single restaurant; I'm sure you realize that Disney operates 50 restaurants within a 43 square mile area, and so their considerations are different from yours. Regardless, if you must have it such that either you're right or they are right, I'll say that based on everything you've said and everything I've seen at WDW, they are right.

How else are you going to get customer reactions?
If you've been a WDW guest as often as you seem to be saying, then you know the answer to this. Normalized methods of gathering customer input are far more reliable, but again, you know that. I'm not sure why you're trying to make it sound like there is no other way to manage a restaurant that sitting back and haphazardly waiting for customers to tell you what they think. :confused3

For the most part though, I think Disney doesn't sweat the small details in regards to food, because the restaurants are packed.
That's almost likely saying that they ignore the insignificant things and pay attention to the significant things. I can agree with that.

Sounds like you really have been lucky. If I have a chance (work is slow this week, so I might get home at a reasonable hour) I'll try to dig out some of my restaurant reviews from the 1990s. I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm pretty sure there's a bad review of service at Bistro de Paris; I know for sure that there's a very negative review of the atmosphere at Flying Fish; bad food reviews were not uncommon either, including Nine Dragons, one of the predecessors of the rotating restaurant in the Land, and Cape May Cafe. (Note that I recently posted not one but two very positive reviews of Cape May Cafe, so things get better, too.) And all of these things were in the context of value, i.e., for price paid. I remember forgiving Sci-Fi serious mediocrity based on the fact that it was so much less expensive than Brown Derby, so it was reasonable expect a lot less.

I would be interested in seeing them. Our rundown was a completely different set of restaurants - we consistantly ate at Spoodles (now dead and gone), California Grill, Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, Jiko, Boma (my husband hated this restaurant but it was a matter of taste, not preparation), Whispering Canyon, Hoop De Doo, Marrakesh, and San Angel (we actually liked it). I was never thrilled with Le Cellier.

We've also consistantly eaten offsite at many restaurants. So I think we had a pretty good handle on pricing and quality in the Orlando area.

So I guess we'll just have to figure it out for the future. We've done cruises, beach vacations, islands, Europe, and parts of the US. We spent a ton of time at WDW while our son was growing up. I suspect we'll be back but on a very, very limited basis unless we see a different trend in restaurant dining.

Amen. This coincidentally came up in another thread this morning - how many people use "the big 'we'" when the really mean "I". Good for you for trying to get us all to stop doing that sort of thing! :thumbsup2

Thank you! :thumbsup2

From this:You also went on about cold food some more, later in your reply.

I thought you were referring to a past history of me posting about cold food in other threads. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I only mentioned it several times here, because it's easy to understand, and it has happened to many of us over the past few years.

Which is what I said. The point that perhaps wasn't clear is that saying so was "silly" (or as I put it, doesn't "make sense") for the same reason what I was replying to was "silly" (doesn't "make sense").

You are quick, as I was editing my post within a minute of posting, so I took this part out, as I was trying to convey another idea, but couldn't quite get it right.

You missed the point: You say X; I say Y. Neither of us have knowing the right answer as our jobs; neither of us expend the time and energy necessary to gather the information necessary to say definitively what is the right answer for Disney. We're both just guessing.

Both guessing based on years of travelling to WDW, eating in WDW restaurants, and perhaps based on what we do for a living?

Because I know from professional research I did and was able to benefit from in my previous career. You say you have experience in a single restaurant; I'm sure you realize that Disney operates 50 restaurants within a 43 square mile area, and so their considerations are different from yours. Regardless, if you must have it such that either you're right or they are right, I'll say that based on everything you've said and everything I've seen at WDW, they are right.

I would not be basing my answer based on one restaurant - my family has owned many restaurants, cafeterias, vending machines, bars, catering, pizzeria, snack carts, etc. plus I worked in management for the 2 biggest retailers here in Canada, owned my own business, run 2 school departments, etc. and in all of those, customer feedback, both negative and positive is invaluable. I think Disney takes the customer feedback, and ignores a lot of it. Even the legitimate concerns. I have had this happen. It wasn't until I contacted a supervisor/manager, that my concern was taken seriously. Had they ignored it, they would have had a serious problem on their hands. It wasn't through any fault of my own either, as I provided well written and detailed concerns. They admitted they were busy, and so this was their way of saying they can't get to all of the feedback. So, I won't say that Disney is right, in this respect. Due to the sheer magnitude of guest feedback that they get, they can't tend to all of it, and within that feedback is some very valuable information for them. One of these is 'Ohana. The restaurant manager is not good at all - take a read on the Restaurant board and you'll see. For years, guests have been contacting Disney about the horrendous check-in system there. Finally last month, they felt the need to change it. They blatantly ignored guests because they chose to do so, and in this case, the guests were right.

If you've been a WDW guest as often as you seem to be saying, then you know the answer to this. Normalized methods of gathering customer input are far more reliable, but again, you know that. I'm not sure why you're trying to make it sound like there is no other way to manage a restaurant that sitting back and haphazardly waiting for customers to tell you what they think. :confused3

All you have to do is check my Signature and you can see how often I go to WDW - usually for 2 weeks at a time. I absolutely didn't say there was no other way to manage a restaurant. And, what makes you think that is a haphazard way to get information? My family walks around to the tables, just like many restaurant managers/owners do, and speaks to guests to illicit feedback, and observes what is happening. This is very important info. Not sure why you don't get that? You would do well to talk to my father who has been a restauranteur for 45 years about this area. :thumbsup2

That's almost likely saying that they ignore the insignificant things and pay attention to the significant things. I can agree with that.

Yup! :thumbsup2 I think Disney is doing this with dining for sure. There are some seriously problematic restaurants, and Disney doesn't do much, if anything about them. How do I know? Because I've been eating at those same restaurants for 10 years, and I witness the same problems each and everytime. In the smaller world, we would have got a handle on those problems a long time ago. I think Disney has trouble in some areas actually seeing what is significant - they deem it to be insignificant, as it hasn't affected the bottom line, but you and I both know that there is more to most situations than just dollars and cents.

The OP feels that buffets are no longer affordable for many families, and I would agree, but I also feel that Disney doesn't have to make those dining exepriences such as character buffets, affordable, as it's a premium experience that you can't get anywhere else. For the most part, we don't find the prices to be too outrageous at Disney. We live in a province where minimum wage is almost $11.00/hr, plus tips, so sandwiches and burgers are the same price or higher than at Disney, at most places. Our issue is the crowded restaurants, inconsistent service, boring kids' menus, generic menus and subpar food at several restaurants. This has caused us to go from eating 2-3 TS meals per day, to just 1, and some days, we skip the restaurants altogether. We want more variety and less crowded restaurants, and this doesn't match with Disney's vision of making a profit (which we totally understand), so we have the choice of eating less TS meals each trip.

I think Disney takes the customer feedback, and ignores a lot of it.
I don't think they ignore any of it (each bit is parsed for guest recovery consideration, and even when the determination may be 'no', it wasn't ignored) nor do they change the way that they do business based on any bit of it. It is just one inferior means of gathering information.

Even the legitimate concerns.
All concerns are legitimate, even when they're simply a reflection of customers being utterly unreasonable. It is rare when any unsolicited customer feedback is differentiated from others in terms of legitimacy, at least not in the manner you seem to be implying. In a big operation, it would be too costly to research each concern to that level of depth, given that there are far better means to gather the same information and gain the same understanding.

Due to the sheer magnitude of guest feedback that they get, they can't tend to all of it, and within that feedback is some very valuable information for them.
That sentence is self-contradictory, but that might not be obvious unless you've worked in a large operation. Value, in terms of information, includes how readily the source of information coughs up and clearly identifies the few specific valid and important things. While my first career was all about the nature of customer satisfaction, operational management, and such, my second career is to a great extent about presenting the few informational gems in piles and piles of crap.

Another aspect of the challenges that an organization like Disney faces is how many of its customers just see Disney as deep pockets for them to exploit. I doubt mom-and-pop restaurants are subjected to the volume and conspiratorial array of vicious abuse of their generosity as Disney regularly is.

I think Disney has trouble in some areas actually seeing what is significant
Or they simply disagree with you about that. They have different objectives than a customer would perhaps wish they would have.

I don't think they ignore any of it (each bit is parsed for guest recovery consideration, and even when the determination may be 'no', it wasn't ignored) nor do they change the way that they do business based on any bit of it. It is just one inferior means of gathering information.

I already said that I have had very high up Disney execs admit to me that they can't handle all of the guest feedback they get. So, whether it was a legitimate ignore, or a mistake, not all guest concerns are heard or responded to. The major check in problems at 'Ohana was a perfect example of that. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on whether guest feedback is inferior or not...

All concerns are legitimate, even when they're simply a reflection of customers being utterly unreasonable. It is rare when any unsolicited customer feedback is differentiated from others in terms of legitimacy, at least not in the manner you seem to be implying. In a big operation, it would be too costly to research each concern to that level of depth, given that there are far better means to gather the same information and gain the same understanding.

Well, it's up to the email rep who is reading that concern to determine if it's legitimate or not. As I said, I have had 1 or 2 very legitimate concerns either ignored or misplaced. The exec whom I contacted, was beyond grateful that I followed up on the matter (it was about a previous guest smoking in the villa, and the problemes that AKL had in helping us with that - we are asthmatic/allergic). I have had exevs admit to me over the years, that they do try and get to all concerns, but due to the sheer magnitude of guest communication, they cannot. They are not infallible, so of course they are going to miss an email, or lose a letter. And you are out of the loop in regards to this method of gathering information, since we are told as DVC members to contact them with any concerns. Heck, Jim Lewis has said it many times, and basically told us that it is our responsibility to contact them when things are broken or amiss in our villas. It's not housekeeping or maintenance's job, but our job. If they ignored this like you seem to think, then why ask guests to provide this info, why so many surveys, etc.?

That sentence is self-contradictory, but that might not be obvious unless you've worked in a large operation. Value, in terms of information, includes how readily the source of information coughs up and clearly identifies the few specific valid and important things. While my first career was all about the nature of customer satisfaction, operational management, and such, my second career is to a great extent about presenting the few informational gems in piles and piles of crap.

I already said I've worked in the 2 biggest Canadian retailers, so I have dealt with the corporate way. And, I already mentioned that amongst the crap, is some very good info, you and I can agree on that. If you ignore it all, or assume it's invaluable as you are doing, how are you going to get to the gems? :thumbsup2 I have had an exceptional track record in getting responses to my feedback from Disney - many times positive in nature, and some concerns, have all been answered, except for 1, in all of my years of travelling there, so they do take guest feedback very seriously, they just can't respond to all of them. I don't expect a Cast Member to contact me when I send in praise, but many times they have. This goes above and beyond, yet there are instances of very legitimate concerns going to the wayside. If they are not too busy or too big, then why only respond to some feedback. You seem to be disagreeing with all of it. What is the reason why some guest feedback is not responded to then, in your opinion?

Another aspect of the challenges that an organization like Disney faces is how many of its customers just see Disney as deep pockets for them to exploit. I doubt mom-and-pop restaurants are subjected to the volume and conspiratorial array of vicious abuse of their generosity as Disney regularly is.

Absolutely! Which is why they have procedures in place on how to deal with guest feedback. I can only imagine some of the crazy requests they get, which is why I appreciate them responding to me. The sheer magnitude of guest feedback must be staggering: legitimate concerns, requests for autographs, weather, menus, special wishes, etc. Oh, my!

Or they simply disagree with you about that. They have different objectives than a customer would perhaps wish they would have.

I don't think so. You've already said as a corporation they have different expectations; therefore, what is significant to me, is certainly not significant to them. They absolutely cannot take each guest concern and run with it, but they need to weed through the crap and use the gems that come through in order to better their business. If they weren't interested in this, we wouldn't be asked to fill out so many surveys and such, especially in the DVC world. Member feedback is essential, and our president reminds us of this quite often.

I already said that I have had very high up Disney execs admit to me that they can't handle all of the guest feedback they get. We are just going to have to agree to disagree...
Yes. I think very few people will believe that the company that can afford to buy the expanded basic cable broadcast rights to the Harry Potter movies can "handle" whatever feedback they think is worthwhile "handling" if it was in their best interest to do so.

Well, it's up to the email rep who is reading that concern to determine if it's legitimate or not.
But that's my point: It isn't a one step operation - it's two steps: (1) Is it legitimate? (2) If it is legitimate, then should any action be taken?

Yes for (1) + No for (2) is a valid determination.

Heck, Jim Lewis has said it many times, and basically told us that it is our responsibility to contact them when things are broken or amiss in our villas.
We should discuss DVC separately... DVC is a shared responsibility. We owners pay real money out of our own pockets to have housekeeping do more for us. I'd rather take on more responsibility to report things than pay more for them to do that. I'm an owner, not a customer.

I already said I've worked in the 2 biggest Canadian retailers, so I have dealt with the corporate way.
Yes, I know you said that. I'm just telling you what I know. If they conflict, I cannot account for that.

If you ignore it all, or assume it's invaluable as you are doing, how are you going to get to the gems? :thumbsup2
By deliberately soliciting information, in a normalized manner, and gathering the information in organized ways. It's part art (my brother actually is part of the "art" portion of this work) and part science (that's what I'm doing now).

I don't think so. You've already said as a corporation they have different expectations; therefore, what is significant to me, is certainly not significant to them.
So do you thing so, or think not? You say that you disagree with my assertion that you and Disney have different objectives, but then you say that what's significant to you isn't significant to them. :confused3

If they weren't interested in this, we wouldn't be asked to fill out so many surveys and such
Absolutely, I never said anything to the contrary. :confused3 I think you must have misunderstood. We were talking about complaints, not all customer feedback. You even asked specifically about what the alternatives to using complaints was, and I specifically answered your question by saying, "Normalized methods of gathering customer input are far more reliable..." :shrug:

Yes. I think very few people will believe that the company that can afford to buy the expanded basic cable broadcast rights to the Harry Potter movies can "handle" whatever feedback they think is worthwhile "handling" if it was in their best interest to do so.

But that's my point: It isn't a one step operation - it's two steps: (1) Is it legitimate? (2) If it is legitimate, then should any action be taken?

Yes for (1) + No for (2) is a valid determination.

Good point...maybe their way of handling it is to ignore some feedback, since they are in charge of determining whether it's a legitimate concern or not. The restaurants are in a bit of a different situation though, as guests speak to managers right away, so they have to determine the legitimacy of a complaint right then and there, which is much different than us writing our complaints to the corporate office or online feedback.

We should discuss DVC separately... DVC is a shared responsibility. We owners pay real money out of our own pockets to have housekeeping do more for us. I'd rather take on more responsibility to report things than pay more for them to do that. I'm an owner, not a customer.

Yup, I totally agree about reporting problems since it may ultimately come out of our dues, but there also needs to be some responsibility on the part of maintenance and housekeeping. We've seen some yucky stuff left in our villas, and wondered how that got missed, as it was in plain sight? So, it seems as if DVC is passing some of that responsibility from their shoulders to ours, as they more than likely can't keep up with the repairs, etc.

So do you thing so, or think not? You say that you disagree with my assertion that you and Disney have different objectives, but then you say that what's significant to you isn't significant to them. :confused3

Absolutely, I never said anything to the contrary. :confused3 I think you must have misunderstood. We were talking about complaints, not all customer feedback. You even asked specifically about what the alternatives to using complaints was, and I specifically answered your question by saying, "Normalized methods of gathering customer input are far more reliable..." :shrug:

At this point, I have confused myself. :rotfl2: It's been a very long day, in which I spent most of it with a splitting headache dealing with two kids who didn't want to get along, and mountains of laundry. The DIS was supposed to be some quiet time for me, but this discussion has hurt my head. :headache:

The bottom line is that Disney food is affordable for some, and not for others. The OP has a good point in starting this thread - for some, paying $40.00 cash for lunch to dine with Pooh is worth it, but for many it is not. The only way they can justify or afford this expense is to purchase the DP. The good thing is that there are many choices on property, with many different price points. If, and when guests reach their tolerance level, they may dine elsewhere, whether that be off property or in a villa/condo/hotel room.

I truly feel that Disney knows exactly what it is doing in regards to the whole pricing of food and the DP. They have made it seem very affordable (save 20-30%) by purchasing a dining plan of some sort. The reality is though that they are setting some of the food prices higher than they perhaps should be, in order to make the DP seem more valuable. In this respect, Disney will seem more affordable for many families. This is exactly what I was talking about in regards to first timers - many of them I help plan for talk about having steak every night for dinner, and they don't break out the DP on an a la carte basis, in order to see if it truly is valuable.

Disney is expensive for most, so they have come to expect that, and the DP is a way to make it more affordable. So, that Crystal Palace lunch the OP is referring to is no problem if using DP credits. Great marketing strategy for which they should be proud! That same lunch is a problem for many cash guests though, and so the question becomes, how many guests are on DP as opposed to cash? We've talked about this several times on these boards. It would be great to see these numbers, but that will never happen. I believe that more guests purchase the DP, which is why the restaurants are so full. Before the DP, restaurants weren't as full, yet prices were much lower for character meals especially, and parks/resorts were just as full. It would make for some interesting stats and discussion...

Thanks, Tiger :)

The critical question that raises is why has that not happened? Folks have been waxing poetically about how grievously overpriced WDW is for at least fifteen years, and to some extent much longer. When in Year 1 someone says it is overpriced and that's going to drive people away, you scratch your beard (if you've got one) and say "Hmmm... maybe..." Year 2 you get a little more skeptical. What about after 15 years of the same assertion? :confused3

I totally agree with you - people have been complaining about the rising prices at Disney for ages. We've both been on these boards long enough to see it. Heck, my ex told me his first trip to WDW in the mid '70s they stayed at the Poly for $35 a night! But I guess that was when $35 was a lot of money.

But I do believe there is a balancing act WDW is walking, and walking it quite well. "How much can we raise prices for the same or less quantity/quality food and still increase profits?" With the DDP, and the marketing hype people buy into, it seems they can go on for a while.

But as it is a gradual increase in menu prices, and gradual increases in DDP prices, it will be a slow attrition of people backing off on Disney dining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter