News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEWS

Not sure how new this is, but track work being done for the railroad - this is by Main St Station heading to Adventureland (so answers the question "why can't they just run the train back and forth between Main St and Fantasyland)

View attachment 381990
I'm calling it now. The new florida high speed rail is going straight to main st.
Yes it is sarcasm.
On a serious note, that's a little curious. Wonder if any other minor re-routing will happen. I wouldn't have thought that was a budgetary priority, but I suppose now is the time if it was needed.

I'm calling it now. The new florida high speed rail is going straight to main st.
Yes it is sarcasm.
On a serious note, that's a little curious. Wonder if any other minor re-routing will happen. I wouldn't have thought that was a budgetary priority, but I suppose now is the time if it was needed.

I think they are just doing repairs/replacing track as needed - just taking advantage of this time when it is down anyway to do it ... I don't expect any rerouting

Apologies if this was posted already:

Disney switches from Dixie to Solo cups in blatant tie in to under-performing Solo movie

j/k - they did switch but it is because the solo cups are sturdier, specifically when there is no lid on, as quick service locations have largely stop having plastic lids

https://wdwnt.com/2019/02/photos-di...idless-spills-at-counter-service-restaurants/
Wait... does “sturdier” mean “thicker plastic”... and they want credit for getting rid of lids...? If true: :lmao:

Wait... less that $400/day? Are you including your DVC dues or point rental if you went that route? You're including the AP cost? That just seems low to me, but more power to you if that's right!! :thumbsup2

Sorry for the OT post - just respnding to a question

Yep - I just looked at the numbers, and it was slightly higher than I thought - was really closer to $11K total for all 4 trips including all expenses. When you spread an AP across 26 days it becomes pretty cheap per day - and we got the AP when they did the "DVC members buy a Platinum Plus AP for the price of a gold AP". I AM including DVC dues in that - still you often run <$200 a night most night. (For instance one trip with DVC - AK Value rooms were only paying ~$80 a night for the hotel.)

Specifically I'm including : Nov 2017, 2 people - 4 nights, Feb 2018, 3 people - 9 nights (2 at UOR with previously bought AP), Aug 2018, 4 people -9 nights, and Oct 2018, 2 people - 4 nights.

I will admit a bit of a cheat in that we used a LOT of SWA flight credits - so of the 11 round trip flights, 7 were free. So that's probably around $2000 we didn't spend on airfare which definitely would affect the cost. We also don't do a lot of expensive TS meals anymore, and don't spend very much on souvenirs - maybe $200 per trip.

Wait... does “sturdier” mean “thicker plastic”... and they want credit for getting rid of lids...? If true: :lmao:

This is what occurred to me - so we are putting more material into the cups so that we can get rid of the lids. Not sure if this is a true zero sum game.

I've often thought if Disney was REALLY interested in this - would it make more sense to sell refillable mugs and then charge say $1.49 per refill. You could even build self serve machines where you scan your band to charge for the soda and it gives you a fill on your mug.

This is what occurred to me - so we are putting more material into the cups so that we can get rid of the lids. Not sure if this is a true zero sum game.

I've often thought if Disney was REALLY interested in this - would it make more sense to sell refillable mugs and then charge say $1.49 per refill. You could even build self serve machines where you scan your band to charge for the soda and it gives you a fill on your mug.

Of include refilling your refillable mug in the parks - even if you increase the cost for them it would increase value to people and reduce total waste. Added bonus, it makes the dining package "look" even more appealing then since it includes a mug

The article says the cups are thin.
That’s fine. You don’t get “sturdier” by using LESS material than you were, though, obviously... ;)

So we’re MINUS one plastic lid and straw, PLUS more paper/cardboard. Depending on relative manufacturing process, recyclability, etc., I wonder how it actually nets out. And this ignores convenience... as we’re obviously supposed to these days.

Sorry for the OT post - just respnding to a question

Yep - I just looked at the numbers, and it was slightly higher than I thought - was really closer to $11K total for all 4 trips including all expenses. When you spread an AP across 26 days it becomes pretty cheap per day - and we got the AP when they did the "DVC members buy a Platinum Plus AP for the price of a gold AP". I AM including DVC dues in that - still you often run <$200 a night most night. (For instance one trip with DVC - AK Value rooms were only paying ~$80 a night for the hotel.)

Specifically I'm including : Nov 2017, 2 people - 4 nights, Feb 2018, 3 people - 9 nights (2 at UOR with previously bought AP), Aug 2018, 4 people -9 nights, and Oct 2018, 2 people - 4 nights.

I will admit a bit of a cheat in that we used a LOT of SWA flight credits - so of the 11 round trip flights, 7 were free. So that's probably around $2000 we didn't spend on airfare which definitely would affect the cost. We also don't do a lot of expensive TS meals anymore, and don't spend very much on souvenirs - maybe $200 per trip.

Your numbers seem about right, Me and the wife did over 20 days this year in Park plus a week in Clearwater in 4 different trips, with APs and we were doing no more than 250 a night at deluxe or Swalphin reservations. If you take out the week in Clearwater even with flights most of them only cost us about 200 round trip for 2 people we only spent a little over 8.5k for Disney. I find renting DVC using AP Discounts and not being afraid to stay at the Swalphin a good way to make Disney more affordable. We still bought souvenirs, my wife loves her dresses from Cherry Tree Lane, and did quite a few 100 dollar nights at Trader Sams, and we do alot of sitdown dinners, even did a MNSSHP night. Over all i think if you know what you are looking for, you can take what some familys spend on a Once and a Life time week trip and turn it into multiple stays. Its all about perspective and knowing where to look for deals.

In saying that about 2 years ago for a 7 night trip staying at the yacht club without APs but using the Deluxe Dinning plan, we did Disney for about 6k, we didnt really know about ways to save back then and liked the idea of only having to worry about tipping and souvenirs. Thats alot higher cost per night then what we paid for this year.

That’s fine. You don’t get “sturdier” by using LESS material than you were, though, obviously... ;)

So we’re MINUS one plastic lid and straw, PLUS more paper/cardboard. Depending on relative manufacturing process, recyclability, etc., I wonder how it actually nets out. And this ignores convenience... as we’re obviously supposed to these days.

Right, but paper nowadays comes from much more renewable resources than plastic and will decompose whereas plastic won’t

So as a trade off it is better - but yeah, definitely more of one to offset less of the other (and while perhaps less of an impact still a non-zero impact)

Because the greenies want everyone to become hairshirt environmentalists. And yet we're still yearning for the day we can use our refillable mugs in all the WDW parks.

But, unlike Fresh Prince, Will won’t contrast with a boring Phil or Carlton.

Agreed. It reminds me of Eddie Murphy doing Golden Child. In his previous work he was the outrageous character who contrasted with the stuffy characters. In Golden Child you had magicians, wizards, dragons, and he was struggling to stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter