News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son likes Buzz Lightyear (his favorite ride at the parks), despite its age (well, its new to him) over Toy Story Mania because it is physical props you are shooting at .. not just a screen. At its core .. TSMM could be replicated at home with a video game console or mobile device, which makes it a lot less exciting for kids that experience "screens" all the time..

It may seem like this - but I have to say that we got the game on the Wii back in the day, and while it's identical to what they show you on the ride, it doesn't really come close. And it made me realize that TSMM works because of (a) The spinning of the car between scenes and (b) the pop gun. And mostly it's the pop gun.

That said, the physical presence at Buzz is what keeps it so popular in the same space (Disney) that TSMM exists. I only wish they'd "fix" the guns so they can be removed a la DLR.

They probably could replicate TSMM much better today with the use of the PlayStation VR and PlayStation Move controllers. Personally, I prefer Buzz Lightyear over TSMM because of the practical effects, but I think TSMM has more accurate hit detection.

I'm hopeful that they will start recording all of the rides in VR before they retire a ride for good. So that in the future kids who aren't even born yet can virtually experience Stitch's Great Escape or whatever.

Yes, how else will future generations punish their children? :D
Well... there is still The Tiki Room. Don't get me wrong, I love it now. Fascinated by all the animatronics. But as a kid? There was pretty much nothing I wanted to do at WDW less than sit in the Tiki Room. Oddly, my kids are the same way. My daughter will do anything to stop me from dragging her in there.

Well... there is still The Tiki Room. Don't get me wrong, I love it now. Fascinated by all the animatronics. But as a kid? There was pretty much nothing I wanted to do at WDW less than sit in the Tiki Room. Oddly, my kids are the same way. My daughter will do anything to stop me from dragging her in there.
And don't forget Small World... :P

I find that significantly more punishment than my kids do. As my daughter avoids The Tiki Room like the plague, I try and avoid It's a Small World. By the time I'm halfway through, I'm ready to tear off my bleeding ears.

Yes, how else will future generations punish their children? :D

All generations must know!

I never road it, so I'll never know unless they recorded it in VR. Ellen's Energy Adventure, The Great Movie Ride, Maelstrom, The (current) Disney Jr. Show, and every ride and show ever can all live on forever if they recorded them in VR.

I find that significantly more punishment than my kids do. As my daughter avoids The Tiki Room like the plague, I try and avoid It's a Small World. By the time I'm halfway through, I'm ready to tear off my bleeding ears.

It's a bit funny you mention that. I would really love for my mom to go with us on our next WDW trip which would be years from now as by that time we'll likely have a child (that's the plan at least). She hasn't been since she took me when I was a few years old so by the time she gets there next it will be over 30 years difference in time (I'm already 30 now). The one and only request she had was "I want to go on it's a small world" :rotfl:

Normally that's a ride I say once a trip and that's it but because the waits were so incredibly low in September due to Irma we ended up riding it a few times. My husband when I told him what my mom said was like "good you guys can go on it and leave me out of it" :lmao:

It's a bit funny you mention that. I would really love for my mom to go with us on our next WDW trip which would be years from now as by that time we'll likely have a child (that's the plan at least). She hasn't been since she took me when I was a few years old so by the time she gets there next it will be over 30 years difference in time (I'm already 30 now). The one and only request she had was "I want to go on it's a small world" :rotfl:

Normally that's a ride I say once a trip and that's it but because the waits were so incredibly low in September due to Irma we ended up riding it a few times. My husband when I told him what my mom said was like "good you guys can go on it and leave me out of it" :lmao:

I've done that too. Sent the family on it and happily people watched or just wandered around the area looking at all the details. It's a ride that amazes me. The animatronics are awesome. A Walt original. Normally everything I like. But the song... I just can't handle it over and over again. I got dragged on it as a young teenager once and we got stopped at one point for probably 10 minutes. But it felt like hours. I live in dread of that happening again.

I guess I don't mind screen rides if they use the screens to change things up .. like how they've added scenes to Star Tours and have enough to make it random every time you go on. Why did it take so long for a new Soaring show? Why not have several (including the original) that you randomly get? So hopefully these new rides will be able to change up every once and a while to make things new (at little cost).

BUT, what makes Disney Magical is the physicality of it all and hopefully they don't forget that.
My son likes Buzz Lightyear (his favorite ride at the parks), despite its age (well, its new to him) over Toy Story Mania because it is physical props you are shooting at .. not just a screen. At its core .. TSMM could be replicated at home with a video game console or mobile device, which makes it a lot less exciting for kids that experience "screens" all the time.

Despite what most considering a boring show - Carousel of Progress is ingrained in my young sons memory as a highlight of our last trip. The fact that animatronic robots came to life right in front of him engaged him more than a movie screen ever would.

Unfortunately .. screens do seem to be the trend .. look at the removal of all the physical props from the World of Disney for a "clean" look. And my guess is that they will have screens on the walls to help decorate it and give it some Disney theming.
I am OK with coasters as long as each one brings something unique - and I think in this aspect Universal does it well. What's less impressive is the screen rides. These tend to blur together to me when you've ridden the 12th screen ride of the trip. Disney hasn't gone down the "complete conversion to screen rides" route yet - and I have to point out that though TSL isn't a high thrill area it does not utilize a single screen.

However - going forward we have:
Millenium Falcon ride - screen ride
First order Battle - physical ride which will likely incorporate screens.
Ratatouille - Mostly screen ride
M&M Runaway Railway - Screen ride
GoftG - Coaster (with screens?)
Tron - Coaster / limited screens.

So Disney is clearly getting in the screen business - but the question is can they incorporate enough reality or uniqueness into these rides to keep them interesting. My favorite use of screen is when you incorporate screens with real physical sets - Forbidden Journey does this well as does N'avi River Journey. The occasional "Screen Only" ride can work very well also - as Soarin' and FOP are both excellent rides that use unique ride vehicles combined with a very large screen to make the experience top notch.

The one issue I have with using AAs on coasters is that you're whizzing past them so fast, you don't have time to really appreciate them. I mean, look at Disco Yeti...such an impressive AA but you barely see it and notice the detail.
Screens may be better to register visually at higher speeds, at least for me it seems to and depending on what is
on the screen can add to the exhilaration of the ride. As a good music score like for SM can add to the experience aurally, screens, IMO, can do a better job at that then AAs. I prefer to see AAs on slower attractions like POTC where you can really spend more time viewing them.

News

World of Disney Store Opens in Disney Springs

Looks nice and spacious.
Oh my gosh, I thought I was going to hate it but, it is very reminiscent of the style of the original shop when it was the disney village marketplace / lake buena vista village (The room with the circle of windows up top completely reminds me of the room that used to have the huge table piled high with stuffed animals) I'm not sure anyone else will remember any of this but all that exposed brick and rustic style is definitely bringing back 30+ year old memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter