Newbie - needs help

Princess'Mom2

Proud mom and stepmom of two Princesses
I'm new to these boards, but have found a wealth of information - albeit overwhelming at times.

We (DH, DD(9) and I) are planning a trip to WDW in Nov. 2003 (11/5 - 11/10). These are my questons.

(1) We are thinking of staying at the AKL -- is it too early to make a reservation?
(2) Is the Sunrise Safari worth it?
(3) Is a Concierge worth the extra $$$? We are light breakfast eaters and my DD likes to eat a little many times a day -- so I thought this might be the way for us to go.
(4) We will only be at WDW 4 full days -- are their after dark performances this time of year? We will not be doing a "commando" type visit -- we plan to take things at a slower pace and focus on what we want to see and whatever else we fit into the day(s) are fine.
(5) I've read some good things about Cinderella's Dinner - how far ahead do we need to make reservations? Or can the Concierge help us with this?
(6) Aside from great rates on the resorts, what other benefits will an AP give us?

Any other helpful information is very welcomed. Last time we visited DD was 4 so we want the trip to focus on what will make the trip memorable for her.

Thank you!

Hi Princess'Mom2,

We just got back from WDW, and we had dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table (in the castle) and it was GREAT. It was one of the best we had. (the Poly Luau was best). The service was great, the food was good, and of course the ambiance was the best! We had a window seat and we saw Peter Pan and Captain Hook run around the castle...it was neat.

I made ressies for that I think 2 or 3 MONTHS in advance, get there early so you get a great window seat. They start dinner seating at 4PM, (that was our reservation time also).

I hope this was helpful!!! ( We didn't stay at AKL, so I can't give you any info there! sorry!:( )

Have a great trip! ;)

Personally for a four day trip I would stay on the monorail line. AKL is pretty far out transportation wise and you will spend a lot of time, riding and waiting on busses.

Coincerge is usually around $150 extra per day (?), too me that is not worth the price of a breakfast.

I don't think you will have problems getting into the Cindy's dinner at the GF as long as you mark your calendar and call 120 days out. The travel service on these boards - Dreams Unlimited is excellent at getting hard to get ressies. They will make your room reservations and automatically check for discounts, plus make all the ressies at no extra charge to you. I've had three friends use them and loved it, they were all first time visitors. They even send you a planned itinerary to follow.

Thanks for the quick responses! If we don't stay at the AKL, where else would be good? We would prefer a Deluxe Resort and since we are traveling during "value" season, we figure we can afford it (combined with the savings of an AP).

Is it best to go through a TA? For instance Dreams Unlimited -- or best to call the resort(s) directly? I understand we can make ressies by telling them we have the AP and then showing the voucher when we check in.

We will probably focus on MK, MGM, AK & EPCOT (in that order of importance).

H E L P .....and Thanks!

We stayed at AKL this past May and loved it. My only concerns, before going, were the distance to the parks (except Animal Kingdom) and the bus transportation. We found neither to be any problem.

AKL has dedicated buses that usually stop closer to the parks than the other resort buses. The only loop (I think) that shares is the Studios-Blizzard Beach loop. Although before and after BB hours, it's dedicated to the Studios (can't say for sure because our trip was directly to and from the Studios, never shared).

I must respectfully disagree with Kallison about staying on the monorail line to help with transportation. Only MK and Epcot are serviced by the monorail and Epcot is a long monorail ride from the monorail resorts. I'm not denying that a monorail ride beats a bus ride any day, but you'll still need to catch a bus for the Studios or AK. If you want a more centrally located resort, pick one of the Epcot resorts (Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk, and non-Disney-owned Swan or Dolphin).

And I wouldn't necessarily buy that AP just for the reservation discount. It may be possible that you can find a code on Mousesavers.com that will do just as well for reservation discounts. Of course, if you're planning on making another trip within a year of this one, the AP is probably the way to go. Otherwise, you might not need it. Especially if it is just for this four day trip. Just keep in mind that codes may or may not be available for the time you want to go (certainly not this early yet) as they usually don't appear until a few months before they are valid. You can still go the AP route if the codes don't materialize.

Before finding all this information on these boards, I used a local travel agent. Now I think I could have done better myself (and have). But if you don't want to be bothered with tracking down the information and just want the vacation, a TA may be the way to go. For me, the "thrill of the hunt" is like the pre-show to the vacation.

Either way, have a great trip and good luck with everything.

For what it's worth, the next deluxe resort on our list is the Polynesian. We always stop there for lunch (Kona Cafe!) and would love to stay there.

"(1) We are thinking of staying at the AKL -- is it too early to make a reservation?"

It is not too early but if you are looking for discount rates, you won't see those showing up until 2 to 5 months before you go. What some do is make a reservation without a discount to assure they have something and then cancel and make a new one when discounts become available.

"(2) Is the Sunrise Safari worth it?"

Don't know, haven't done it.

"(3) Is a Concierge worth the extra $$$? We are light breakfast eaters and my DD likes to eat a little many times a day -- so I thought this might be the way for us to go."

Personally do not believe concierge is worth the very high extra dollars. However, there are some who live by. More of an issue is that discount rates very often do not include concierge rooms.

"(4) We will only be at WDW 4 full days -- are their after dark performances this time of year? We will not be doing a "commando" type visit -- we plan to take things at a slower pace and focus on what we want to see and whatever else we fit into the day(s) are fine."

At that time of year, you can do a lot in 4 days even at a leisurely pace, although you should never expect to do "everything" in any one trip. Hours are shorter then -- usually MK and MGM between 6 and 8, AK to 5; Epcot goes to 9 all year except sometimes a little later during major holiday seasons. Possibility MK will have an e-night while you are there -- for an extra price (I believe it is currently $12 for an adult) you get to stay in MK for 3 hours after closing and go on the major rides and attractions multiple times as they sell only a limited number of e-night tickets. Note, e-nights are only on occassion and you won't know until October if there will be one when you are there.

"(5) I've read some good things about Cinderella's Dinner - how far ahead do we need to make reservations? Or can the Concierge help us with this?"

Should make ressies in advance; you can do so up to 120 days in advance although for the resort character dinners during off-season you can usually get it even a week out but make it as far in advance as you can to be safe.

"(6) Aside from great rates on the resorts, what other benefits will an AP give us?"

If what you are thinking of is buying one AP (you don't need one for each member of family if you are only going for 4 days) to get a discount hotel rate, then you really don't need to buy it until you get the rate -- you just have to prove you have an AP when you arrive. Thus, if AP is the best deal at the time, then you can buy it after making ressies. For discounts keep checking mousesavers.com as you get closer to your time of going. AP offers some additional merchandise and restaurant discounts, but mostly at Downtown Disney and those are not the reason to buy the AP.

"Any other helpful information is very welcomed. Last time we visited DD was 4 so we want the trip to focus on what will make the trip memorable for her."

Besides just the parks, consider the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show and/or Cirque du Soleil as you will have evening time after parks close. Cirque is expensive but it is the best show in Florida. Hoop Dee Doo is as corny as they come and they do it so well that most everyone who goees loves it.

As to other deluxe resorts, you will not go wrong with any of them. AKL and WL tend to be discounted more often than others and thus your first choice, AKL, may well be the one you want. The Epcot resorts -- Yacht/Beach Club, BoardWalk, and Swan/Dolphin -- have the best location on site as you can walk among them and walk to Epcot and MGM. BoardWalk is my personal favorite of all resorts and it has nightly activities. The monorail resorts -- GF, Poly, and Contemporary -- give you larger single rooms than AKL or other deluxes and fast access to MK.

I, too, would recommend a Magic Kingdom / monorail resort - Contemporary, Polynesian, et al. A short stay and children, these deluxes are perfect for you. I particularly like the Contemporary especially with kids. The AKL is isolated and seems to be for those who wish a quiet resort.

Good luck - wherever you choose to stay will be magical!

Thank you so much for all your replies. I'm already excited about this and its 10 and a half months away! :bounce: :bounce:

Another note, not related to a hotel choice. I notice you are from NJ and plan on going to WDW during Teacher's Convention. I'd advise you to buy your airline tickets much further in advance than usual. This is a VERY busy time to go to WDW from the NJ area(EWR and PHL) with airline prices going through the roof. We bought our tickets last May and paid $350 per ticket and the prices only increased after that. We plan on going on the Magic during that week next year and I plan on buying my tickets in February or sooner if prices start increasing. Now, onto your questions:

1. Again, not too early, but if looking for an AP or code type discount yes. Maybe make a ressie at a moderate, or standard deluxe room in your price range then cancel as AP/Code rates are released.

2. I don't know, I've read good reviews of it, but it comes at an extra cost of $49 per adult and $30 per child I believe. A lot of money, so with our young children 4 and 1 1/2, we're skipping it on our trip in Feb.

3. Again personal preference. AKL concierge with an AP rate will run you $279 per night plus tax or $312 including tax. A savannah room (smaller than concierge) is $164 + tax or $183 with tax. I'm guessing a deluxe savannah room is approx $200 a night, with tax $224 a night. So, you'll probably pay approx $100 more per night for the concierge room. I like concierge for the snacks and light breakfast and think the difference is worth it. But, personal preference should guide this decision.

4. I'm not sure what you mean by this one. This Nove, MK generally closes at 6pm during the week and stays open late on Sat, usually to 8, with that being the only night Spectromagic is run. MGM closes at 7 most nights and AK at 5 and Epcot at 9. So, your nights will have to be spent mostly at Epcot, and MK on Sat.

5. When you mean Cinderella's character dinner do you mean the new one at the GF, or eating in Cinderella's Castle? If you want the dinner at the GF, then you can book that 120 days in advance. This dinner hasn't yet started, it does start Jan5th, so no reviews are available at this time. If you want to eat in the Castle for dinner, please be advised that this isn't a character dinner, it's just located in the castle and can be booked 60 days in advance.

6. Your AP will get you GREAT rates, but generally if AP rates are available, there usually is a code available to the general public with very similiar rates as well. An AP gets you admission to all 4 major parks for a year, which if you plan on taking another trip before it expires is a great deal. If this is your only trip you have planned, then I'd wait before buying one to see if general codes are gong to be come available. Your trip is short and a park hopper would suffice if this is your only trip planned.

If you plan on staying at AKL I would recommend having your own transportation. I also agree with the Boardwalk area (BW, BC, YC, SD) as a great central location. It definitely is our favorite. You can walk to EPCOT and MGM which saves time during peak transportation times, (opening and closing time after a show has let out) The bus ride to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is direct w/o stops and you are not too far from DD.

As for the AP's the break even point for APs is 10 days of use so if this is your only trip you will never recoup the additional cost in savings on reservations, etc.... A length of stay pass will allow you the same park hopping privelages. You may not even need the length of stay if you do not intend to go to the Water Parks or Disney Quest and Pleasure Island. Although those are major attractions with our family (DH, DD 11, DS 10) but if you are only there for 4 days you may have enough to do and see w/o these attractions.

I highly recommend the Fantasmic Dinner package at Hollywood and Vine. For the price of the dinner buffet you have a reserved seating area for MGM's Fantastic. There are other options at Mama Melrose's and The Brown Derby. H&V is the least expensive and we really enjoyed the food (my expectations were not high going into it but I left completely satisfied for the price)

The AKL is great. We had a car but did not use it when we went to the parks. We never had to wait more than about 5 minutes for a bus and there were plenty of seats. We did use the car when we went to other resorts for dinner but could have taken a bus to MK or Epcot and then easily gone to the Polynesian and Yacht Club from there. The castmembers in the concierge are great. We only paid about $25 more a night for concierge and took it because of the price. We had never done concierge before and if we could get it for that price again, we would probably do it again. However, we did not think it was worth much more. I love spicy foods but the appetizers got old very quickly. We were there for 7 nights and the 5 nights we were at the concierge lounge for appetizers, they were exactly the same - spicy chicken & pork, spicy hummus, spicy wraps, dried out chicken nuggets, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that my husband ate each time. Breakfast was fine - hot oatmeal, cereals, great latte & cappacino matchine, danish, bagels, juice, etc. Snacks were just pretzels, nuts, etc. The evening cookies were wonderful. Also, the Sunrise Safari was great - well worth the price!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter