• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie help

This encourages me. I've been really upset about needed to use an ecv for the first time. I need to appreciate all this will allow me to do, and not focus on the negatives.

Thank you.
Kate

Kate - just remember that the ECV is nothing more than a tool to let you make the most of your time at WDW. Just like you might use a calculator to balance your checkbook, glasses to see better, or a hearing aid if you need auditory assistance.

The likelihood that you will ever again see anyone from WDW when you get home? So tiny that you have better odds of winning the lottery AND getting struck by lightning on the same day. Everyone at WDW is so absorbed in their own vacation that they really don't pay attention to anyone else.

Go - use the ECV as a tool, to allow you to do more, last longer, and have more fun. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks - just have the very best possible time that you can!

Thanks for replies. I must add I don't like using mobility aids unless I need it as a last resort. I deffo will be thinking about a afternoon nap and splitting day into two trips. Can I not ask them about the das to prolong my time in the park so I can rest in between rides but still in the virtual queue?

The DAS works like a 4th FP. So it will only help you at attractions. It won't help you anywhere else in the parks, and there is a lot of walking, standing, and waiting at WDW. Bus lines, tram lines, boat lines, entrance into the parks, security lines, restaurant lines: all have limited, even nonexistent, seating. It would serve you best, IMO, if you brought your own seating with you. If you don't feel comfortable using an ECV, think about a rollator or wheelchair.

Also, your point about getting 'grumpy' - you are responsible for knowing your own limitations. I have a tendency to get 'grumpy' when my sugar gets low (but I don't get the hungry feeling telling me to eat) and I've learned it is best for all involved if I carry a snack with me at all times in the parks. My daughter actually figured out the connection and pointed me in the right direction.

This encourages me. I've been really upset about needed to use an ecv for the first time. I need to appreciate all this will allow me to do, and not focus on the negatives.

Thank you.
Kate

I do not need an ECV or other mobility aid at home - pacing myself is sufficient, and there are some things I just don't do.

Disney World is a different story. I need an ECV if I am going to be doing the parks. And I got a good "hard way" demonstration of that a few trips ago.

Four trips ago I did not have an ECV. As a result I was in considerable pain through most of the trip and had great difficulty walking. We managed, but itput an unpleasant cast of the trip. I decided then that I would have an ECV next trip.

The next trip, I rented an ECV from an offsite vendor. On our arrival day, we planned to go to DHS to see the Osborne lights. I figured "its just a few hours" and left the ECV at the hotel. By an hour in I was in pain, by two hours it was significant, and by three hours I could barely walk. At three and a half hours we bailed and it was a challenge to make it back to the hotel. Lesson learned. The rest of the trip, and for the next two trips, I have used the ECV for park visits and occasionally around the resort, depending what we are doing/how I am feeling.

Instead of losing independence, I find I GAIN independence with an ECV. I am able to enjoy the park without being in pain [or it being at a managable/minimal level; ETA: by "no" I mean not more than I am normally in at home, which isn't "nil", but is something I am used to and manage and is my "normal"]. I have control over when I use the ECV and when I don't. So if I am havign a bad patch, I take it into the accessible ride lines with me. If I am doing really well, I park it in an area [eg in tomorrowland, there is a great sheltered mobility device parking area at teh base of the TTA] and walk to the few/several nearby attractions. While waiting for shows I have somewhere to sit, and somewhere to shelter me from the crowd. When my sister goes on the rollercoasters that I can't go on, I have somewhere to sit while waiting for her and don't have to worry about trying to find a largely non-existant bench.

Are there some downsides to an ECV ? Yep. People tend to ignore you and will sometimes cut in front of you. You have to be cognizant of where you are driving it so you don't go over the wrong part of a curve or get stuck in the railroad tracks. It doesn't do stairs and sometimes the ramp location isn't the most obvious. And parallel parking on the buses is for me a bit of a challenge, but the bus drivers are GREAT and helpful. But you adapt. And the only person I have actually run in to is my own sister who was walking in front of me and had to stop very quickly because someone ran in front of her (!). Needless to say, I kept a bigger "following distance" after that, or she walks at my side.

I use Fastpass to help plan our days. And for other reasons I also get a DAS, but we don't actually use it very often, in part because of good planning, but also because we visit on lower attendance days anyway.

Like the specially tinted glasses and the mask that I have to wear, the ECV is a tool that enables me to do the things I want to do on my own terms. While it would be nice not to need them, that just doesnt fit with reality.

SW
But the ECV ? For me it is freeing and lets me relax and enjoy my trip.

Last edited:
Our first trip to WDW was the reason I purchased my first ECV. I had stopped shopping, going to any events - limiting everything I had once enjoyed and I didn't even realize it until my scooter gave me back my independence and my life.
I know this is hard and I know you can think of a million reasons not to do it, but there is one really important reason to consider it and try: to get your life back and live it to the fullest.
My heart is with you:wizard:

I used an ECV a couple of times a decade ago for a temporary medical issue. I loved it. But after recovery I decided that I no longer had a valid need for an ECV. So I just went on with life and ended up extremely exhausted on multiple trips.

I now have a verified medical issue that prohibits me from walking without falling and being ultra tired. I have dead nerves that make normal activity to be horribly draining and sometimes impossible.

I recently used my ECV to visit a large museum with outside trails that had sculpture exhibits. I had a great time and was still okay at the end of the day while my two physically active companions were out of breath and exhausted. I would have not just been out of breath and exhausted - I'd have been physically devastated for days.

I no longer worry about using an ECV - I am just so grateful that there is an option for me to live a normal life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter