Newbie help

Bluegaz

Earning My Ears
Hi guys.

I have only been to Disney world as a child. I am now a big kid in my 30's going later this year.

It is only me and my wife going and I was wondering if I can get any information on what I might be eligible for Disability wise.

Without spewing out my whole medical history I have a brain tumour that has been partially removed. It is on my balance nerve and my balance isent the best when on my feet for a long period without rest (the more tired I get the worse it is)

I am deaf on one side (due to op) and have chronic migraine from my op.

I am also on anti epileptic drugs for life due to seizures from a bleed during the op.

Can anyone give me insight to what's best to do.

We are planning on day at a park then a rest day. For two weeks. We are staying at a Disney resort. Thanks in advance

Lines: ECV, wheelchair, if you don't want either of those maybe a rollator? so you have somewhere to sit or something for support. Your issue is balance related, for which Guest Services will recommend a mobility device.

Guest Services can loan you (possibly requiring a refundable deposit) device to caption some of the attractions.

It doesn't sound like your seizures are triggered by strobes, but even f they are, Disney doesn't use strobes.

Can't help with the migraines except try to avoid triggers - which you know.

Have you seen this informative sticky thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

To best offer you assistance or accommodations, Disney will need for you to explain your "needs" around the park and in queues. Diagnoses don't mean much as two people with the same diagnosis may be impacted in different ways.

However, as PP mentioned, it sounds like an ECV or other mobility device might offer you the best assistance. You can push it or park it when you wish to walk, but will also always have a seat available when needed. The vast majority of attraction queues are mainstreamed, meaning mobility devices can be used straight through the queue until boarding -- and you are welcome to transfer to ride, your mobility device will be waiting for you when you exit the ride vehicle.

They have a few options for hearing assistance. This page will help explain: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hearing-disabilities-services/

Feel free to ask questions as you are planning, or if you have specific concerns.

Enjoy your vacation!

I second strongly considering a mobility device, you will know from experience what you need. Also maybe consider a longer afternoon break, maybe at the resort instead of staying in the park, if fatigue is an issue over a day.

I do want to point out that using a mobility device does not exclude you from a DAS. If all of your needs are met by a mobility device, then you will no longer have a need for a DAS. However, if you have a need beyond what the rollator/ecv etc will provide, you may/should qualify for a DAS for that need. Reason I clarify is my dad (100% in a power chair) thought he wouldn't qualify; however, he has circumstances I won't bore everyone with, but he needs to do a pressure release and tilt/recline his chair and put his legs up about every 30-60 minutes, which he was able to get a DAS for since he can't do that in a two hour line. So depending on your unique circumstances, you can always ask. Worst they can say is no....

Also remember there is First Aid at every park. Never been personally but I've heard good things, and provides a place to rest if you're worried you won't safely make it to your resort (not sure if you have fall issues when fatigued). Heard there is a cot if needed, but I'll let more experienced folks confirm that. And if you choose a wheelchair or ecv, really consider renting through a company or bring your own. That way you're guaranteed to have it, and you won't have to worry about parks running out if you arrive later in the day. Have a fun trip!

Thanks for replies. I must add I don't like using mobility aids unless I need it as a last resort. I deffo will be thinking about a afternoon nap and splitting day into two trips. Can I not ask them about the das to prolong my time in the park so I can rest in between rides but still in the virtual queue?

not likely you will be granted a DAS. it is not designed to let you stay longer or do more. it is ONLY to assist people who for whatever reason, cannot wait in lines (and even then not all lines are covered by a DAS)

your needs can be met using a mobility aid. as such, that is what they will suggest for you.

I tire easily as well. so I plan my day carefully.. using FP+, taking scheduled breaks( I always do TS meals) take a slow paced ride( Carousel of Progress, Ellens, etc) as needed, etc

You can certainly ask about DAS, but be prepared for them to suggest that you use a wheelchair. That is the standard response. DAS is not intended for mobility or stamina needs and you are not guaranteed any place to sit while waiting. Many people use mobility aids at WDW who do not use one in their regular home life. The first post of this thread explains DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for replies. I must add I don't like using mobility aids unless I need it as a last resort. I deffo will be thinking about a afternoon nap and splitting day into two trips. Can I not ask them about the das to prolong my time in the park so I can rest in between rides but still in the virtual queue?

Unless you have some kind of need that will make you fatigued even in a wheelchair/ecv, then I highly doubt they will give you a DAS. If there is an extra need, then I'd just very nicely explain it and see what happens.

And I know it stinks that you may need some mobility aid just for vacation, and I encourage you to do a bit of self reflection on what's most important for you regarding your trip. If it's maximizing your park time/experiences, then based on what you said I'd strongly recommend one. If you are that against using one, which is totally your choice, then plan accordingly and realize that other than reserved FPs and ADRs, you may not do much else in a day. My dad fell into the second group for years, and we still had great trips even though he can't do as much and my mom and I would continue touring while he rested at the hotel. Ultimately only you know what is most important to you for your vacation, and with a little planning I think you could have a great time even without a DAS or mobility aid. It just would be hard to go all day every day probably:)

Thanks for replies. I must add I don't like using mobility aids unless I need it as a last resort.

I used to feel the same way as you. The first time I had to rent an ECV, I cried and cried with embarrassment. Now, I realize that it's made my trips to WDW so much easier and enjoyable that I often wonder what took me so long to get over myself and rent one. Instead I endured far too much pain and, like you, balance issues.

Ok thanks I will take it all on board and maybe just end up getting a electric wheel chair for a few days of it.

I can also get quite grumpy / aggressive when overphased caused by my brain bleed (a short fuse)

Do I need to take medical letters or do they ignore them? I have a massive scar either side of my head from surgery and a bone anchored hearing aid. Will that be enough proof to show them?

Ok thanks I will take it all on board and maybe just end up getting a electric wheel chair for a few days of it.

I can also get quite grumpy / aggressive when overphased caused by my brain bleed (a short fuse)

Do I need to take medical letters or do they ignore them? I have a massive scar either side of my head from surgery and a bone anchored hearing aid. Will that be enough proof to show them?

No. They will NOT even read medical letters. You do not have to show them a scar as "enough proof". You don't have to prove anything.
I think you are still thinking in terms of DIAGNOSIS. Disney does not care about diagnosis and they don't consider them.
If you want to obtain a DAS, you need to go to Guest Relations and clearly articulate your NEEDS. Why can you not wait in a regular line. What do you need to help.
As the others have repeatedly stated, if solutions for limited mobility and endurance are your NEEDS, the suggested solution will be a mobility device, not a DAS.
Good Luck

do not even THINK about renting an electric WC unless you use one daily at home. the learning curve is extremely steep on them. whereas a few practice runs on the ECVs at the grocery store art Target are all you need to grasp the fundamentals.

If you find yourself losing steam and need to rest but are not quite ready to go back to your resort you can utilize first aid, they have private areas with cots where you can lay now for a bit and recharge, it is another option in addition to what has been previously mentioned, use them in conjunction with each other

You do not need any letter or documentation from your medical team. The CMs will likely refuse to look at such. If you are asking about hearing accommodations -- just ask, tell them what device (from the link I shared earlier) will be most helpful to you. You may be required to leave s fully-refundable deposit to borrow the device, but it is available for the asking.

For DAS, again no documentation can help. Just explain your needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment. But if it's mobility or stamina related, expect to be told to use a wheelchair or ECV. No documentation required to rent from onsite in the parks or offsite.

Enjoy your vacation!

Can I not ask them about the das to prolong my time in the park so I can rest in between rides se of the DAS is but still in the virtual queue?

You can ask, but the purpose of the DAS is not to prolong the guest's time in a park. Again, that is stamina, and stamina issues are addressed with mobility devices.

do not even THINK about renting an electric WC unless you use one daily at home. the learning curve is extremely steep on them. whereas a few practice runs on the ECVs at the grocery store art Target are all you need to grasp the fundamentals.
very true
Power wheelchairs look much easier to drive than they actually are.
For that reason, the companies that rent them will generally only rent them to people who are experienced driving one. An example would be someone who uses one at home, but prefers not to travel with it.

Thank you all for your replies. Me and my wife are just trying to make the holiday as magical as possible after a few rubbish years of surgery and recovery and I am well enough to go before possibly more surgery.

We are currently planning the two weeks prioritising attractions etc to use the 3 fast passes a day and I realised I might not be able to rent a Ecv as I can't drive cars back home due to seizure risk and loosing my lisence

You don't need a license to use an ECV, and releasing the throttle stops it. As long as you don't have a tight grip on the throttle, even on the chance you have a seizure, others around you should be fine.

Some things to consider: Can you avoid what triggers them? Have you discussed (changing, adding, starting) medication to control them? Do you have any warning before a seizure? Have you looked into the possibility of getting a service dog?

Also note that waiting outside the line does not mean a place to rest. There are few places in WDW to "rest" - they've been removing benches and seating. You can certainly rest in First Aid for a bit, but seating is not guaranteed anywhere. That's why people suggest a manual chair. You can push it and use it for balance, but you also have a seat waiting if you need it.

I used to feel the same way as you. The first time I had to rent an ECV, I cried and cried with embarrassment. Now, I realize that it's made my trips to WDW so much easier and enjoyable that I often wonder what took me so long to get over myself and rent one. Instead I endured far too much pain and, like you, balance issues.
This encourages me. I've been really upset about needed to use an ecv for the first time. I need to appreciate all this will allow me to do, and not focus on the negatives.

Thank you.
Kate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter