New York, New Jersey, Connecticut -----> Florida?

Monorail_Man_NJ

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with travel to Florida during Covid - 19 with Governor DeSantis ban on travel from our area unless quarantine for 14 days?

Specifically via airplane and or car. And to that degree when do you think those restrictions may be lifted.

Have they relaxed somewhat do our area being on the decline?

I've heard stories that people were stopped and had to fill out the forms and others who went right through with no issues.

Also has anyone tried flying via a nearby airport that is not considered a HOT ZONE. For instance flying from Philadelphia or BWI instead of EWR and JFK.

Or has anyone travelled with a rental car with out of state tags? For instance when picking up a rental looking for one that has Pennsylvania, Georgia etc. via driving with NY, NJ plates.

Just curious on everyone's experience.

Does anyone have any experience with travel to Florida during Covid - 19 with Governor DeSantis ban on travel from our area unless quarantine for 14 days?

Specifically via airplane and or car. And to that degree when do you think those restrictions may be lifted.

Have they relaxed somewhat do our area being on the decline?

I've heard stories that people were stopped and had to fill out the forms and others who went right through with no issues.

Also has anyone tried flying via a nearby airport that is not considered a HOT ZONE. For instance flying from Philadelphia or BWI instead of EWR and JFK.

Or has anyone travelled with a rental car with out of state tags? For instance when picking up a rental looking for one that has Pennsylvania, Georgia etc. via driving with NY, NJ plates.

Just curious on everyone's experience.
Oh boy (and I know you are just curious), but you may have just lit a fire with this one..

FWIW.... the governor signed the executive order for the NY, NJ, CT 14 day self quarantine deal in March of course... the governor extended the state of emergency by executive order on May 8th for another 60 days.. within that extension it spells out that it applies to all the other executive orders to go with the Covid-19 emergency (including the quarantine one) which brings it to July 7/8 time frame for expiration. Of course those orders could always be adjusted in any direction I guess, but that seems to be where it stands now. I have searched online and found a few things pop up with peoples account of the actual experience at the checkpoint.

I live in Florida so I have no experience but I do follow people on Instagram who I know live in CT, drove down here and have posted about being at Disney Springs and the beach the next day. So I’m just guessing it’s not being enforced but what do I know.

There is nothing to stop the Florida police asking Disney for a list of their hotel guests with NY, NJ or CT home addresses, in order to check whether those folk are observing the quarantine, and arresting those who are not, as visitors to Hawaii who have ignored the quarantine have been. People may take their chances on it not being enforced, but I wouldn't risk it.

We are flying out of BWI to RSW on Tuesday - we are also from MD. Will report then....do not anticipate any issues though.
Work trip. We contemplated driving, but honestly we got flights at a great price and times that worked out good for us.

I would think/hope as these states reach Phase 2 that DeSantis will modify his orders.
Here in CT that should be aroundabout June 20

The usefulness of that particular order against 4 states is LONG past. That order MAY have been useful in the very beginning IF in fact FL had only a very few cases at that time and it looked as if people were going to try to make a mass exodus from those states to the “safety” of “uninfected” FL... however, at this point where the entire country has Covid-19 (and in fact in CT and NY, at least, the total new infections and hospitalizations are decreasing), it is not useful anymore. This type of restriction is only useful (maybe) to prevent something from spreading into a place without it... but it is not anymore...FL is all ready quite active and the possibility of other infected individuals come from any eastern seaboard state is the same as any of the other states. And how serious can they really be... it must be more for optics at this point since you can come down I-75 or any secondary road without having to give your information... so, not much use in that.

Having said that, I think you should use common sense in deciding about going out (are you symptomatic or known exposure) and all the precautions that are sensible... washing hands, not touching nose, mouth, eyes, masks when not social distance capable, etc, etc...

Last edited:
Florida Governor needs to revise this order to make it clear if he wants to reopen his State or not. I live in 5.5 hours away from NYC "hot zone" The mass exodus to Florida from the original hot zones were very likely snow birds...like many of my neighbors.

I think it's currently set to expire around July 7th, but in reality it's useless to even have this restriction at this point. when it was first made I kind of understood. He said he didn't want people from a highly infected area flooding to Florida. Well now there are many other states where it is spreading faster than it is in the states of NJ/NY/CT and LA yet we are the only ones with a mandated quarantine if we travel there.

FWIW, if you are flying I was told that they ask everything on the flight who lived in the state of origin to complete a paper that indicated they would need to quarantine. But nothing was done once they landed. And if you fly out of PHL there is no mention at all. Which is ironic since they've had a decent sized outbreak themselves and many people from NJ use that airport since it's right on the border.

I'm in NJ. My closest airport is PHL. I know people in Florida (several) from NJ that over the past 3 weeks flew out of PHL. They were never stopped,asked to quarantine. So apparently that appears to be a loophole.I thought id's would be checked to see state of residence.Apparently it only applies to where your flying out of. I still would never risk taking that chance.

The current quarantine order for the tri-states area visitors are solely for optic purposes in my opinion which needs to be addressed

It mostly is, but I do know that my boyfriend's company (he lives and works in Florida) is telling him that should he travel to any of the states with a quarantine (they know his girlfriend lives in NJ) he'll be forced to take 2 weeks unpaid time to quarantine at home. But in reality the state won't even ask him to quarantine because we use PHL mainly. He's already been here before we knew his company had this policy. So in reality it's more likely to keep Floridians from traveling than to keep people living in NY/CT/NJ from traveling there since there has been no follow up on them.

In any case, when anyone from ANY of the states in the order can drive into FL on interstate 75 (forget about all the smaller roads for now), without having to fill out a form or any of that other nonsense, well, that right there tells you how useful or important anyone involved in this in FL feels it is... PURELY optics for those who assume that all drivers from the east must come down 95 and don’t realize there is a third major interstate entrance to FL where nothing is being tracked...WASTE of time and money...

Florida Governor needs to revise this order to make it clear if he wants to reopen his State or not. I live in 5.5 hours away from NYC "hot zone" The mass exodus to Florida from the original hot zones were very likely snow birds...like many of my neighbors.

I am in CT, on the southern end of the CT River, an hour/90 min from the (then) hot spots. It sucks! Our numbers are dropping in CT. My husband needs a vacation...ok so do I!

Reactions: rlk
I am in CT, on the southern end of the CT River, an hour/90 min from the (then) hot spots. It sucks! Our numbers are dropping in CT. My husband needs a vacation...ok so do I!
We also live down on the southern CT River shoreline and we are hoping that the orders expire in July. If they don’t, we will just cancel our trip.

Up near the Mass border, a stone’s throw from BDL. I also think the order is ridiculous. People up here who live or are moving to Florida always tell me how low their taxes are down there (I work in a municipal tax office) and I always respond that’s because I PAY your taxes every time I visit WDW! Given Florida’s heavy reliance on tourism to fill their tax coffers, I’m guessing the order will be lifted just in time for Disney to open.

I agree that the usefulness of the order has decreased as time has gone by. I know in the beginning, there were instances of people fleeing hotspots and bringing the virus with them (like that knucklehead who flew Jet Blue from NY to FL and immediately to a hospital there because he had active COVID symptoms). I'm a nurse in a western CT hospital, and one of my first cases on the COVID floor was a woman who came up from Brooklyn to stay with friends here, and ended up in the hospital. It was a bit of a mess because, while she was never intubated, she needed to be discharged on home O2, and was dependent upon her CT friends to let her recuperate at their house.

But now that containment efforts have failed (too little, too late), the current travel restriction orders don't make sense, given the path the virus has taken. If Florida is going to continue to require quarantine for travelers from "hotspots," there is a need to update where those hotspots are.

Several weeks ago, MA surpassed CT in terms of infections per capita, but apparently you can fly out of Logan without problem, but not out of Bradley. The Boston area has been a huge hotspot, while eastern CT has been largely spared.

NY is not NYC. NY is a big state with a very spread out population, and large numbers of folks are living in rural counties with rates of infection far lower than elsewhere in the country. Conversely, there have been large outbreaks in cities in other states, but no travel restrictions have been attached to travelers from those areas.

I'm also concerned we're going to see the next wave of COVID in a few weeks in places that have seen large demonstrations protesting racial inequality. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm seeing a lot of protestors wearing masks, so hopefully that will help. But if I were a nurse there, I'd be bracing for an uptick in admissions.

If Florida continues to restrict travel from CT, I'm not going to look for a workaround. But, if Florida wants to actually decrease potential carriers coming to Florida, it's not very effective to use infection rates from March to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter