New York, New Jersey, Connecticut -----> Florida?

We traveled to Florida- driving from SC last weekend - the Covid checkpoint occurred right at the Florida line at the rest stop where cars and transfer trucks were separated. Trucks were allowed to pass through the interstate. Cars were routed to the checkpoint and were asked they were traveling from. The car in front of us had NY tags- the driver was sent around to another checkpoint and we were allowed to pass through. Im not sure what the second checkpoint entailed.

I wonder what the requirement is if you spend time elsewhere before going to Florida. We have family in NC. I wonder if we drove to NC and visited for 2 weeks, would we be able to go into Florida without restrictions because we'd have been out of the restricted zone for 2 weeks prior to the arrival in Florida. I mean, the point really is to make sure travelers from hot zones have passed the presumed incubation period, but the language of the order sounds like 2 week quarantine IN Florida is required.

PS - I don't have 3 weeks off for vacation, regardless of which state we chill in for the first 2. I'm just musing.

I think he was asking if the order was still in effect, not asking for your permission one way or another.

I agree... but while the order is in effect no matter how you arrive from the “chosen 4”, the silly part is the highway checkpoint. Come in through I95 or I10 and they will get your info and could supposedly come checking on you to verify your compliance (although I have not heard anyone saying they actually do this) while if you enter FL on I75, they couldn’t care less about your info as there is no one there to take it... I mean, how does this make sense in any form at all... “We might come looking for you from interstates 95 and 10, but on 75 you just be good people. I still think the whole thing is useless at this point, but it’s useless AND they are wasting money on being useless (ok, so what else is new when it comes to government... touché).

I agree... but while the order is in effect no matter how you arrive from the “chosen 4”, the silly part is the highway checkpoint. Come in through I95 or I10 and they will get your info and could supposedly come checking on you to verify your compliance (although I have not heard anyone saying they actually do this) while if you enter FL on I75, they couldn’t care less about your info as there is no one there to take it... I mean, how does this make sense in any form at all... “We might come looking for you from interstates 95 and 10, but on 75 you just be good people. I still think the whole thing is useless at this point, but it’s useless AND they are wasting money on being useless (ok, so what else is new when it comes to government... touché).

Well, it's theatre. It's the appearance of safety. But I think it is designed for two purposes:

1) It keeps many people from attempting a trip. There are lots of rule followers (like myself) who will stay home, even if it's easy to get away with going. We're the kind of people who still come to a complete stop at stop signs in the middle of the night, even when no one is around and there's no possible actual danger from blowing through them.

2) If someone from one of the hot spots comes, and any cases can be traced back to him or her, then Florida can make a big show of pointing fingers at that scofflaw rather than admitting there are any flaws in their public health policy.

To use I75 people from the affected 4 places would have to go way out of their way. Not sure how many people are willing to do this just to avoid a checkpoint. Being a resident of Florida, I haven't heard of any follow-up checks on people from the four areas that are visiting Florida.

Well travelers from Louisiana no longer have to quarantine with EO 20-139 yesterday. I believe Louisiana is in Phase 2. CT will be in Phase 2 in two weeks. I think NJ will also be in Phase 2 in two weeks. I don’t know about NYC. I am hoping that quarantine orders for CT and NJ will disappear soon.

Well travelers from Louisiana no longer have to quarantine with EO 20-139 yesterday. I believe Louisiana is in Phase 2. CT will be in Phase 2 in two weeks. I think NJ will also be in Phase 2 in two weeks. I don’t know about NYC. I am hoping that quarantine orders for CT and NJ will disappear soon.

Upstate & western NY are in phase 2 already. CT & NJ are way closer to NYC than Rochester or Buffalo are. There really is no reason for the whole state to be included in the quarantine order. Hopefully if he keeps the order, he does it for NYC only.

Please keep in mind, my answer depends on whether or not all of NY, CT, NJ and LA must quarantine. That said....

To use I75 people from the affected 4 places would have to go way out of their way.

Depends on what part of the state they're coming from. If they're coming from the NYC metro or New Orleans, yep it would be hours and hundreds of miles.

However, it they're coming from Western NY or Northern LA, travelling I-75 isn't that much of a bypass. I think it's no more than about 90 minutes difference from both Buffalo, NY and Shreveport, LA. Both cities are hundreds of miles from their states' hotspots.

Upstate & western NY are in phase 2 already. CT & NJ are way closer to NYC than Rochester or Buffalo are. There really is no reason for the whole state to be included in the quarantine order. Hopefully if he keeps the order, he does it for NYC only.
Based on the latest articles I can find...
Many places in NY are currently in Phase2. This is mainly the less densely populated areas of the state.... basically the middle of the state (I81 corridor and North of the Capitol)
Except for NYC all other areas (Buffalo, Albany, LI, Mid Hudson) are on Phase1.

NYC is expected to enter Phase 1 next week
Long Island Phase2 expected next week.
Buffalo and Albany may already be in Phase2 but the wesites I looked at may not have been updated.

Many places in NY are currently in Phase2. This is mainly the less densely populated areas of the state.... basically the middle of the state (I81 corridor and North of the Capitol)

Buffalo and Albany may already be in Phase2 but the wesites I looked at may not have been updated.
Buffalo is in Phase 2

Several weeks ago, MA surpassed CT in terms of infections per capita, but apparently you can fly out of Logan without problem, but not out of Bradley. The Boston area has been a huge hotspot, while eastern CT has been largely spared.

CT being included was never about CTs numbers, it was all about proximity to NY/NYC. I'm in MA, but usually fly out of BDL like most people in the western part of the state. I'll be annoyed if I have to drive twice as far and pay at least double for parking to fly out of BOS if this is still in effect in August.

I think it's currently set to expire around July 7th, but in reality it's useless to even have this restriction at this point. when it was first made I kind of understood. He said he didn't want people from a highly infected area flooding to Florida. Well now there are many other states where it is spreading faster than it is in the states of NJ/NY/CT and LA yet we are the only ones with a mandated quarantine if we travel there.

FWIW, if you are flying I was told that they ask everything on the flight who lived in the state of origin to complete a paper that indicated they would need to quarantine. But nothing was done once they landed. And if you fly out of PHL there is no mention at all. Which is ironic since they've had a decent sized outbreak themselves and many people from NJ use that airport since it's right on the border.

It‘s even more ridiculous now that NJ and NY have a declining number of cases and FL has increasing cases.

Yea, your websites are outdated. I live in WNY & we entered phase 2 this week. Finger Lakes & central areas started phase 2 last week. They were only about 4 days ahead of us. NYC area will enter phase 1 on Monday. The numbers from the governor’s update yesterday were only 2% of the population testing + in most of the state (capital region is 1%) & 200 new cases across the whole state on Wednesday. He did not give updated numbers for those statistics today. NY state is doing 50,000 tests per day.

Compare that to over 1000 new cases in Florida each of the last 2 days. Maybe NY needs to order a quarantine for people traveling from Florida now. :rolleyes:

Since our Disney plans got squashed for the end of June we have reservations now in the Keys and then Orlando. Driving from South Jersey area and the concern is if the hotels will even allow us to check in?? Got an email update from the one hotel advising us of the “travel ban” but they didn’t cancel our reservation. I sure hope it gets lifted real soon. I will wear a suit of armor as long and we can go on vacation :-)

Yea, your websites are outdated. I live in WNY & we entered phase 2 this week. Finger Lakes & central areas started phase 2 last week. They were only about 4 days ahead of us. NYC area will enter phase 1 on Monday. The numbers from the governor’s update yesterday were only 2% of the population testing + in most of the state (capital region is 1%) & 200 new cases across the whole state on Wednesday. He did not give updated numbers for those statistics today. NY state is doing 50,000 tests per day.

Compare that to over 1000 new cases in Florida each of the last 2 days. Maybe NY needs to order a quarantine for people traveling from Florida now. :rolleyes:
Keep the snowbirds from coming home :rolleyes1. Probably too late for that though since they tend to migrate north right around Easter.

CT being included was never about CTs numbers, it was all about proximity to NY/NYC. I'm in MA, but usually fly out of BDL like most people in the western part of the state. I'll be annoyed if I have to drive twice as far and pay at least double for parking to fly out of BOS if this is still in effect in August.

Sort of. CT's numbers were high because of CT's proximity to NYC. Fairfield county is often lumped in with NY metro area, and a lot of people commute daily to the city. Due to this proximity, CT was hit hard in the start. The last time I looked CT was 4th for infections per capita and 3rd for deaths per capita, after NY and NJ. Infections per capita is probably a better indicator of infection rate than case numbers. You can have more cases in FL, but because FL's population is so much bigger, that means the odds that someone you meet is infectious can be smaller.

I'm also hoping to fly out of BDL. The parking is soooo much cheaper than any of the major airports. There are no direct flights to where we're going on our non-Disney summer vacation, so we just bought tickets out of LGA, and the parking is either ridiculously expensive onsite or involves annoying shuttles to offsite parking (which is also expensive)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter