New Year, New Experiences! A January 2016 TR - I’m here at WDW! 3/25

Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Sandcastle Club

After dealing with a disgruntled DH about the cooking utensil purchase, we made our way out of the park but stopped for a quick photo sesh

DS’s face is so content like he plays with Simba, Timon and Pumbaa on the daily

It was almost 2pm by the time we got on the bus back to the Poly

Finishing off that hot chocolate

Our plans for tonight were getting ready for dinner at Yachtsman and dropping the kid off for his first adventure at a Kids Club, since all the reviews were great! For any inquiring minds, it’s $55 flat rate from 4:30pm -12am and that includes dinner and snacks with locations at the Poly, Beach Club and Animal Kingdom. We were originally thinking of taking him to Lilo’s Playhouse at the Poly since that was where we were staying, but thought if there was an emergency, we'd want to be close by, so made
reservations to put him at the Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club.

The idea was to have a nice adult-only meal at the Yachtsman, just the three of us. DM was extremely anxious/nervous about leaving DS somewhere where he’s never been and suggested staying back with him. But we really wanted him to have some interaction with other kids and play games and do activities and not just be stuck in the room for 4+ hours. DM decided not to go to dinner :confused3 She said she wasn’t feeling well, but I’m wondering if the anxiousness got to her. I swore up and down that he’d be fine but she wasn’t having it, so I wasn’t going to push her if she was legitimately not feeling well.

By the time we got ready, did the bus transfers from resort-park-resort, we were walking up to the Beach Club at 5:24pm!

We still had lots of time before our 6:55pm reservation, but really wanted DS to make use of the club and we wanted to explore a bit.

The Sandcastle Club is located right off the lobby to the left of the entrance​

We were greeted by a very enthusiastic CM at the desk/check-in table who looked very happy to be seeing us. He introduced himself to Cal and us, got all the paperwork signed, squared away the meal and snack options (there were several including pasta, pizza, chicken nuggets along with either cookies or crackers with juice or chocolate milk for their snack), got Cal his name tag and took us on a tour of the place. There was a room FILLED TO THE BRIM with different toys, a bathroom and a main room that had video games, computers and tables for their meals and group activities​

activites6b21ef9c17d96b863db2bd496c0e3b799fb5623ea127273544dc5e4511c01337.jpg

In total there was about 4 CM’s working and the Club Manager (who we ran into on the way out) that would check-in periodically with the staff and kids.

Before we left they asked us to take Cal to wash his hands (this is something they require of each child at drop of), confirmed phone numbers and off we went!​

I did sneak a couple pictures before we left – wasn’t sure if it was allowed or not​

Don’t worry, that pirate works there :rotfl2:

I felt totally comfortable and at ease with leaving him there. DH on the other hand was definitely nervous. He’s the nervous one with Cal between the two of us​

He really wanted to check in on him before we had dinner, but I convinced him that he would be fine! And just a few other things to note about the club: your child needs to be fully potty trained and the entrance doors make a loud ringing when they open so no one can attempt to sneak out :thumbsup2

We were officially kid free!​

Well, kind of, one was tagging along with us for the ride but he (shhh DH didn’t know what we were having yet at this point :ssst:) behaved.

We were able to check out the lobby without telling someone to keep their hands to themselves. Can never take mom anywhere! JK

I asked a nearby CM if she could take a picture of us

We still had an hour before check-in so decided to take a stroll over to the Dolphin and check out the place. About a 7 minute walk, not too bad. Cool lobby!

We headed back to the Yacht Club and decided to check out the Crew’s Cup Lounge for cocktails and ‘mock’tails :sad1:

DH went with the Manhattan. Thanks @franandaj for getting him hooked on those!:laughing:

DH really wanted me to order something so he didn’t feel alone, so I went with the No-Jito, which was actually really refreshing and vibrant.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Yachtsman Steakhouse

While we were drinking, DH decided to check us in early as I was starving! Don’t mess with a preggo and her food.

Within a few minutes we were called and showed the meats

And were shown to a nice quiet booth and delved right into the menus.

We had to order the cheese platter here. It’s a must!

Of course everything was amazing with superb accompaniments. The sheep’s cheese with the honeycomb is always the favorite. I didn’t think I was going to like the Panforte but it was very delightful with the strong blue cheese.

We also got the bread basket with onion rolls and roasted garlic which was sweet and yummy.

Then the main courses came out!

giphy.gif

I ordered the 16 oz Rib Eye with Blue Cheese Butter with the Potato Gratin

A perfect juicy, medium steak that was searing hot and the blue cheese butter?! Fuhgeddaboudit. Bomb.

DH ordered the New York Strip with some shavings of White Alba Truffle and Malt Vinegar Fries, with a glass of MacMurray Pinot Noir

He was obsessed with the truffles! It gave such a different taste to the steak than he’s used to and you certainly don’t need much of it to taste it. He was nice enough to give me a bite and it was phenomenal!

Almost done!

And of course I finished it and there’s always room for dessert

90104-Snape-always-gif-imgur-3dMa.gif

My view while waiting for dessert

Yup. Crème Brulee lovers over here!

But DH wanted something warm and buzzy to end the night and the waiter recommended a Nutty Irishman, which is hot coffee with Baileys and Frangelico. It smelled so delicious and he finished it right off.

With TiW, we saved 32.05 off food and drinks :thumbsup2

We still had some freedom so DH went off to catch the last of the Packers game, while I checked out the Solarium.

It was such a relaxing place with nice, soothing music in the background, I could have easily taken a nap in here or read a book.

I had overheard DM earlier on in the trip about needing a luggage tag, so I went into the gift shop and searched for some. I really wanted to get her this one cause it sums her up perfectly

But went with the classic Minnie print underneath it.

Alas, it was time to get the kid. It was nearing 10 by the time we picked him up and they said he had an awesome time! He ran up to us and showed us what he made and that Captain Hook had come in for a Meet and Greet! Very fun! They sent us off with his unopened snacks of cookies and juice (they have their second snack at 10pm) and off we went to the bus stop.

Getting home was atrocious. Took an hour and 15 minutes to get back :scared1: Uber sounds like a good idea next time!

DH being the kind man that he is, offered to do some laundry downstairs and I helped out. Despite not having our own washer and dryers in the room, the laundry room was very convenient and there was only one person there the rest of the trip. And whoa, high-tech machines!

Oh, BTW, DM was feeling ‘better’ by the time we all got back to the room :rotfl2:

It's 8:30 am my time, and now I am wanting that cheese and bread and a nice juicy steak from Yachtsman...:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Glad everyone seemed to enjoy themselves...and maybe DM just needed some time alone and/or wanted to give you two some time alone!

Great update :) I have never seen the Christmas decorations over at the Epcot resorts. Must try harder next time.

Calvin is too cute with that umbrella.

Poor DM :( I hope she hadnt gotten herself that upset. Glad she was better when you got back.

Dinner looked fabulous. You guys always have a great meal there.

Glad you were able to get some alone time and Calvin had fun too :)

An hour and 15 minutes to get home :faint:

Is the kids club thing open to anyone? Or do you have to be staying at a Disney resort? Seems like a pretty good deal if they include the food and have a character stop by, etc. (though I guess it would add up for me with 3 kids)

We've never been to Yachtsman's as Judi doesn't eat beef so just seems like better options ... but the fact they list out beer pairings for each item moves this up on my list of places to try. And the fact they pair the Kansas City strip with La Fin Du Monde makes me want that option

Food looks great!

I love that you realized you had some more kid free time and chose to .... split up! :rotfl:

Glad Cal had such a good time and that DM was feeling "better" ;)

It's 8:30 am my time, and now I am wanting that cheese and bread and a nice juicy steak from Yachtsman...:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Glad everyone seemed to enjoy themselves...and maybe DM just needed some time alone and/or wanted to give you two some time alone!

Is it sad that I actually always crave steak in the mornings?! :laughing: Actually, whenever we do have a steak (which is rare), I try to keep a small portion to take home so I can make it with eggs in the morning :hyper:

I'm thinking she probably enjoyed the alone time with the tv and relaxing, even though I know she hated that we took DS somewhere.

Great update :) I have never seen the Christmas decorations over at the Epcot resorts. Must try harder next time.

Calvin is too cute with that umbrella.

Poor DM :( I hope she hadnt gotten herself that upset. Glad she was better when you got back.

Dinner looked fabulous. You guys always have a great meal there.

Glad you were able to get some alone time and Calvin had fun too :)

An hour and 15 minutes to get home :faint:

She's always been the nervous type but has gotten worse over the past 10 years and every once in a while takes medication for it. I don't think she likes that I'm completely opposite of her and take risks on everything! :laughing:

You're right! Our meal is always fantastic!

It's crazy how long it takes to get from resort to resort. I thought I read they were testing the idea out somewhere though? Cause that would be awesome if they had some sort of transportation.

Is the kids club thing open to anyone? Or do you have to be staying at a Disney resort? Seems like a pretty good deal if they include the food and have a character stop by, etc. (though I guess it would add up for me with 3 kids)

We've never been to Yachtsman's as Judi doesn't eat beef so just seems like better options ... but the fact they list out beer pairings for each item moves this up on my list of places to try. And the fact they pair the Kansas City strip with La Fin Du Monde makes me want that option

Food looks great!

I love that you realized you had some more kid free time and chose to .... split up! :rotfl:

Glad Cal had such a good time and that DM was feeling "better" ;)

I thought I had read a while you don't need to be a guest (but maybe need to have a confirmed dining reservation :confused3) But I did read that it could work out cheaper with 3+ kids for the in-room babysitting service!:thumbsup2

Why did I not know that she doesn't eat beef?! They have great seafood options though and great vegetarian sides. I don't think i've ever had beer with steak before and never thought about pairing it :scratchin

:lmao:Good point on splitting up! :rotfl:Well he was going to drink more so figured make use of my time by checking out the place a little bit!

Why did I not know that she doesn't eat beef?! They have great seafood options though and great vegetarian sides. I don't think i've ever had beer with steak before and never thought about pairing it :scratchin

yeah, she doesn't eat beef or pork ... she doesn't like fatty things and I think just in her past she associates fat with those food and now the taste is not attractive to her. If we are out and I get an amazing (and lean) steak she will try a piece though. She does eat lamb and bison and I saw they have bison there so that could be an option as well

I think just with all the dining options at Disney we just seek out things other than steakhouses, especially if we would need to travel to another resort for it, but I think Yachtsman is one we need to try at some point

We usually do red wine with steak but I appreciate them having the beer pairings too - love that beer pairing is becoming more of a thing

yeah, she doesn't eat beef or pork ... she doesn't like fatty things and I think just in her past she associates fat with those food and now the taste is not attractive to her. If we are out and I get an amazing (and lean) steak she will try a piece though. She does eat lamb and bison and I saw they have bison there so that could be an option as well

I think just with all the dining options at Disney we just seek out things other than steakhouses, especially if we would need to travel to another resort for it, but I think Yachtsman is one we need to try at some point

We usually do red wine with steak but I appreciate them having the beer pairings too - love that beer pairing is becoming more of a thing

Ah, I understand! She would definitely NOT like my ribeye then :laughing: so fatty!

While you're here, any dark beer recommendations? I just recently tried a New Belgium Black which was great. Love Warsteiner Dunkel and i'm trying to remember a name of a beer I tried years ago that I absolutely loved but can't remember the name of. It was like Jeremiah or Isaiah??? I think it ends in -iah???

ETA: Just remembered! Messiah! So good. :hyper:

Ah, I understand! She would definitely NOT like my ribeye then :laughing: so fatty!

While you're here, any dark beer recommendations? I just recently tried a New Belgium Black which was great. Love Warsteiner Dunkel and i'm trying to remember a name of a beer I tried years ago that I absolutely loved but can't remember the name of. It was like Jeremiah or Isaiah??? I think it ends in -iah???

ETA: Just remembered! Messiah! So good. :hyper:

ah, ok ... there is an Isaiah Stoudt by Young Smith beer that I thought it might have been. Was it the Messiah Nut Brown Ale from Shmaltz?

I have lots of dark beers to recommend, though not sure how many are available by you

My favorite beer is Dark Note by Bells Brewing in Michigan
bellsblacknote.jpg

Chocolate Sombrero by Clown Shoes (from Chicago) is also excellent ... has a little spice to it as well (like a Mexican chocolate)
wpid-20121120_185539.jpg

Yeti by Great Divide is good too and that I think can be found a lot of places:
great-divide-yeti-imperial-stout.jpg

More common would be something like Negro Modello from Mexico

From California brewers, there is Stone's Imperial Russian Stout I know of ... have to think of some others

ah, ok ... there is an Isaiah Stoudt by Young Smith beer that I thought it might have been. Was it the Messiah Nut Brown Ale from Shmaltz?

I have lots of dark beers to recommend, though not sure how many are available by you

My favorite beer is Dark Note by Bells Brewing in Michigan
bellsblacknote.jpg

Chocolate Sombrero by Clown Shoes (from Chicago) is also excellent ... has a little spice to it as well (like a Mexican chocolate)
wpid-20121120_185539.jpg

Yeti by Great Divide is good too and that I think can be found a lot of places:
great-divide-yeti-imperial-stout.jpg

More common would be something like Negro Modello from Mexico

From California brewers, there is Stone's Imperial Russian Stout I know of ... have to think of some others

Yes the Nut Brown Ale! Really enjoyed that one.

Awesome thanks for those, i'll be on the lookout when i'm out and about :thumbsup2

The whole kids club thing sounds like a pretty good deal. Now you can go on a cruise and know he'll probably love the kids club there too!

Your Mom is certainly a worry wart!

DH went with the Manhattan. Thanks @franandaj for getting him hooked on those!:laughing:

He was already hooked that time at the Cove Café. I just taught him how to make it himself!

And were shown to a nice quiet booth and delved right into the menus.

The menu looks great! I can't wait to be eating there in just 65 days!

That's what I'm having! Maybe not on the Blue Cheese Butter, only because I'm going to eat the leftovers as a French Dip. Is it bad that I cut off the crunchy bits of fat, and then make sure to add a bit of the charred fat to every bite that I can? That is until it's all gone.

Getting home was atrocious. Took an hour and 15 minutes to get back :scared1:

I consider anything less than 90 minutes when going from resort to resort a success.

Fun update!

The whole kids club thing sounds like a pretty good deal. Now you can go on a cruise and know he'll probably love the kids club there too!

Totally! Even if he didn't like it, we'd still leave him there :teeth:

Your Mom is certainly a worry wart!

Always has been, always will be :sad2:

He was already hooked that time at the Cove Café. I just taught him how to make it himself!

Before you introduced it to him, he never would have looked twice at it on a menu, now he looks for it everywhere we go!

The menu looks great! I can't wait to be eating there in just 65 days!

Rub it in!

That's what I'm having! Maybe not on the Blue Cheese Butter, only because I'm going to eat the leftovers as a French Dip. Is it bad that I cut off the crunchy bits of fat, and then make sure to add a bit of the charred fat to every bite that I can? That is until it's all gone.

:faint:I'm just pissed I didn't think of that!

I consider anything less than 90 minutes when going from resort to resort a success.

Fun update!

Ugh, just too much time!

Hahahahahahaha that mug is almost as big as him.

For any inquiring minds, it’s $55 flat rate from 4:30pm -12am and that includes dinner and snacks with locations at the Poly, Beach Club and Animal Kingdom.

Is there an age limit because I would like to attend please. :laughing: It sounds great!

he introduced himself to Cal

HEY!

We were able to check out the lobby without telling someone to keep their hands to themselves. Can never take mom anywhere! JK

:rotfl2:

Gorg pic!!!

Don’t mess with a preggo and her food.

This is pretty unrelate but it made me wonder.. Did you get any morning sickness at Disney? Or throughout your pregnancy for that matter?

STOP IT.:faint:

Yup. Crème Brulee lovers over here!

Creme Brulee twins! We had it at the Yachtsman too :lovestruc

Alas, it was time to get the kid. It was nearing 10 by the time we picked him up

Do they have a place where they can sleep!? I can imagine as it's nearing midnight parents are walking into a room of children passed out all over the floor :laughing:

and that Captain Hook had come in for a Meet and Greet!

OK now I actually want to go. Can I pass for 1 :rotfl2:

The food looked delicious! So glad your son had a good time too.

So delicious! And fun for all!..uh, except DM :headache:

Hahahahahahaha that mug is almost as big as him.

:laughing:It's one of my fav mugs to take to work because of how durable and big it is. Every trip I *try* and purchase a travel mug!

Is there an age limit because I would like to attend please. :laughing: It sounds great!

I think you could pass off as a 12 year old, which is the age limit I think!

Gorg pic!!!

Aw thanks!

This is pretty unrelate but it made me wonder.. Did you get any morning sickness at Disney? Or throughout your pregnancy for that matter?

Ugh yes! With both pregnancies I got it for the first full trimester (12 weeks) and then with Q it lasted into the 2nd, went away and came back like a week before we left for WDW. I was NOT happy! :mad: But it was brief and went away a couple days before our trip thank goodness:worship: All I was thinking about was all the ADR's we had made and all the food I haven't been able to eat in 15 weeks! Seriously, I pretty much lived on Pretzels and.....don't judge me....packaged ramen noodles :blush:But that was all I could hold down at the time!

I. KNOW! I hate me too!

Creme Brulee twins! We had it at the Yachtsman too :lovestruc

:hug: I knew we were friends for so many reasons, but now we need to add our love for Creme Brulee to the list!

Do they have a place where they can sleep!? I can imagine as it's nearing midnight parents are walking into a room of children passed out all over the floor :laughing:

:lmao:You know I don't even know! I imagine since the kids are older, they'll just stay up :confused3 Good question!

OK now I actually want to go. Can I pass for 1 :rotfl2:

I was so jealous he got to meet Captain Hook cause I don't think i've ever met him! WTH!

Boom! All caught up, just like that!
Or maybe not quite just like that... but, caught up, I am!

Figured I keep seeing this pesky Alicia person all over the place I should see what she has to say.
Love your style.
And.... you had me at (re: PS4):

In the end, he DID NOT bring it, but he did pack his attitude as a replacement

:lmao:

I won't quote everything I want because
a. No one has that kind of time, least of all you.
b. When I decided I didn't care, the DIS kicked me off about halfway through. Nope. Not going back. Always onwards and upwards!

Boom! All caught up, just like that!
Or maybe not quite just like that... but, caught up, I am!

Not gonna lie, I checked out your TR about a week ago...saw that you were about to reach 200 pages and was like

gi5phy.gif

Uh, popular much?! I'm not even sure I'm qualified enough to be subbed to your TR:eek:

Soooo.....when you start your next TR, i'm going to have to jump on board quick-fast. I'm assuming you will be doing one yes??? ::yes::

Figured I keep seeing this pesky Alicia person all over the place I should see what she has to say.
Love your style.

Let's just be honest. I'm straight up annoying, but people seem to enjoy it!

I won't quote everything I want because
a. No one has that kind of time, least of all you.
b. When I decided I didn't care, the DIS kicked me off about halfway through. Nope. Not going back. Always onwards and upwards!

gi7phy.gif

But seriously, I hate when that happens!

Not gonna lie, I checked out your TR about a week ago...saw that you were about to reach 200 pages and was like

gi5phy-gif.188525

Uh, popular much?! I'm not even sure I'm qualified enough to be subbed to your TR:eek:

Soooo.....when you start your next TR, i'm going to have to jump on board quick-fast. I'm assuming you will be doing one yes??? ::yes::

Plus it was a TR with two bonus TRs added on to the end, but his TRs do move fast.

He has pretty much agreed to a TR, right? @pkondz look at all the ladies who are badgering you?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter