• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to cruising. Is $5000 for a family of 5 for a 7 night cruise . . .

novafan85

Earning My Ears
A great deal? On Royal Caribbean? It sounds like a great deal to me, but I'm unsure.

On RC, after the cruise fare, what out of pocket expenses can we expect to have to add to that?

Thanks!

It's hard to say without more specifics. It may or may not be a good deal.

Which ship? When? What type of cabin?

I paid $3200 for 5 of us on a 7 night cruise on IOS last summer. I'm paying $2500 for a 5 night on IOS next year. But there are some itineraries that could be over $5000.

It's hard to say without more specifics. It may or may not be a good deal.

Which ship? When? What type of cabin?

I paid $3200 for 5 of us on a 7 night cruise on IOS last summer. I'm paying $2500 for a 5 night on IOS next year. But there are some itineraries that could be over $5000.

7 night Western Med, Harmony of the Seas (new ship!) in October. Inside state rooms though.

Remember that you are on a brand new ship with many new things to do compared to the older RCCL ships. You may be comparing apples to oranges. Costs to consider: Food and beverages above whats included. tours, souvenirs, tips, etc. Did you purchase trip insurance? I would highly recommend it.

Other possible expenses, excursions, alcoholic beverages, bottled water, soda, specialty restaurants.

That seems like a good price for Harmony.

Last edited:

I paid $4500 for 2 cabins on Carnival for 7 nights Eastern Caribbean...one cabin aft balcony and one an inside- 5 guests total.

7 night Western Med, Harmony of the Seas (new ship!) in October. Inside state rooms though.
No. You can do much better on a different ship. Don't get suckered into the new ship hype. There is nothing wrong with the older ships and they are typically cheaper.

we figure an extra $1000 in expenses after the initial price. Why? Because there are gratuities, you may want to purchase a soda plan, you may eat at their fancy restaurants, and shore excursions. 5K is a good price, it is for the newest ships, which looks awesome! $5 for a cupcake at the 'cupboard.' -we had this ship booked for a 3 night but then decided that it was too costly for a pre-night at $300 and a post night at $200 in Fort Lauderdale, plus airfare and everything else. I looked up this cruise for 3 and it was 5K for the 7 night. I just need it to be on a Sunday so we can fly in on Sat, but it's only Saturday departure so we'd have to break up another weeks vacation, so we won't.. until next year though.. we have a saturday cruise on NCL's Escape and it's a Saturday. I love the giant slide, can't wait to see videos of that! You lay on a mat, finally something cool for grown ups.. yes we like fun things too besides eating or drinking.

It looks like the only other RCI ship doing the Western Med itinerary in October is Rhapsody. I would definitely stick with Harmony.

How old are your kids? Harmony will have tons to do if they are mid elementry to teen. Everyone has their own budget and expectation. If you closed your eyes, said what do I want from a vacation and went in thinking
We are okay with interior staterooms
We want a large new ship
I want to pay MAX 5000

Then you are okay. I recommend booking NOW before 4/3. I feel the 30% off deal is better than the BOGO offer starting 4/4.

You will also need to think about Pre-Paid gratuity. It goes up 4/13 so i'd pay it NOW and it will not be included in that budget, but once it's paid, it's done. It's also the same deal on any ship you go on.

Remember once you are onboard you are all inclusive if you DONT buy drink packages (water from a fountain tea and lemonade are provided). You will need to budget for excursions. Even if you want to just do beach breaks, you'll need taxi and food while there and some beaches require day passes.

I am planning Allure June 2017,family of 5 (see ages below). Feel free to PM me

Thanks everyone. Yes, that would be for two cabins. I don't know if we are ready to jump on this for this October. Shame as I'd really love to check out the Harmony before it leaves Europe. Kids would be 16, 14 and 12.

How old are your kids? Harmony will have tons to do if they are mid elementry to teen. Everyone has their own budget and expectation. If you closed your eyes, said what do I want from a vacation and went in thinking
We are okay with interior staterooms
We want a large new ship
I want to pay MAX 5000

Then you are okay. I recommend booking NOW before 4/3. I feel the 30% off deal is better than the BOGO offer starting 4/4.

You will also need to think about Pre-Paid gratuity. It goes up 4/13 so i'd pay it NOW and it will not be included in that budget, but once it's paid, it's done. It's also the same deal on any ship you go on.

Remember once you are onboard you are all inclusive if you DONT buy drink packages (water from a fountain tea and lemonade are provided). You will need to budget for excursions. Even if you want to just do beach breaks, you'll need taxi and food while there and some beaches require day passes.

I am planning Allure June 2017,family of 5 (see ages below). Feel free to PM me

Wow, thanks! Lots of insight. We may just have to put this off till next year - either June or October. I'm looking into this so last minute and I can tell DH is nervous about the full amount being due so quickly. We'd have to pay it all pretty much right away.

So looking at next summer at some options, which of these ships do you think would be best with three teens (they'll be 13, 15, 17 next summer)?
Oldest is not super adventurous and would probably just enjoy the pools, on board movie theaters. The younger two are up for anything. We are not super hung up on the itinerary. We've seen a bunch of the port cities already, so we'd pick and chose our shore excursions (or DIY) as we like.

June 2017:
1. 7 days Western Med, Freedom of the Seas
2. 7 days Eastern Med, Jewel of the Seas
3. 12 days, Canary Islands, Independence of the Seas
4. 12 days, Western Med, Brilliance of the Seas

October 2017:
1. 12 days, Western Med, Freedom of the Seas
2. 9 days, Eastern Med, Jewel of the Seas

for your ages, I would stick with the larger ships--freedom or indy. younger ones will enjoy the flow rider. both have ice skating, as well. my teens like the promenade areas of these. freedom also has dreamworks, if that matters. freedom should have at least 1 3D movie. RCCL does not play many movies during the week like DCL. RCCL's do not have movie theaters--a few hae a small cinema, but many have been removed during renovations. sometimes they play one in the big show theater on a sea day. We just sailed Navigator for 8 days and no daytime movies by the pool and no movies in the big theater all week. only 2-3 nights had a movie by the pool.
all of these ships have family ocean view cabins which can sleep up to 6 with an alcove with bunk beds. My kids really liked these cabins. They can be a better deal than 2 insides sometimes. You must call to book them. You cannot see them online.

I agree with Ido, I'd do Freedom or Indy. My kids are 11, 13 & 15 and they love the Freedom class ships. There is so much to keep them busy.

And to go a completely different route . . .

I know this is the RCCL forum, but what are your thoughts on Norwegian with teens? DH saw that they have a 9 day itinerary in the Baltic on the Norwegian Getaway (we are within driving distance to one of the ports, that helps!). It's a new or newer ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter