• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just got off the phone with a CM and I can't upgrade without canceling my current tickets, which I'm not going to do because I have everything booked. She said they don't have the prices yet. However, if it's ridiculously expensive, I'll just cancel the reservations DH and I have for the additional days we planned to visit. I will go to US instead. I may just check into the tickets now as DH and I will be in Florida 4 days prior to my DS and family arriving. We had not planned on going to Uni because of the extra cost, but if it's going to cost more to add 2 days, why not? Ah well, there's an upside!

If I'm understanding correctly you won't make the change because of your FP's booked? As long as your new ticket is done soon after the other is cancelled the FP's will remain. I think it's something like 24 hours before the FP's would get cancelled - or maybe it's midnight. I'm not certain of the exact amount of time but it's definitely not immediate.

Did anyone else catch this:

View attachment 353682

If you want the flexibility of using your ticket in the way we use the current tickets, you add $50 to your cost!!!

And it's unclear if it's $50 for any ticket. Or $50 for the 4-day ticket (which was their test case in the video) and priced accordingly. It could be $12.50 per day for the flex option...

My thoughts exactly, and how will tiering be done to block passes for the months following the opening of galaxys edge
Can they change the rules to AP's once they're purchased? If you buy a Platinum AP that says no blackout dates when you purchase it, can this change after the fact?

I believe if you added the use anytime "flexible date" option then you'd have the 14 days to use them. They've thought of the cruisers - and thought they could pay a bit more. :rolleyes1
This is an excellent point...I completely missed that, LOL! I guess if you can afford a WDW and Cruise combined trip...Disney figures $50 more per person to structure it that way is palatable. And that's probably a fair statement (although I don't like it personally, lol).

Can they change the rules to AP's once they're purchased? If you buy a Platinum AP that says no blackout dates when you purchase it, can this change after the fact?

DL did that recently. Changed the number of blackout dates.

If you want the flexibility of using your ticket in the way we use the current tickets, you add $50 to your cost!!!
We found people enjoyed the opportunity to have the choice to pay more for ticket flexibility.
We uh... we had that before for free!
Yes but the new rules are much more fairer for all! Now the MK is the same price as the other parks!

From the video:

1) There is a +20% premium on specific days in November ($81 vs $97, for a 4-day ticket). I wonder what Christmas week will be... +50%?

2) There are still multi-day discounts. 2 days is from $100/day, 5 days is from $69/day.

3) Per the video, the lowest prices are available (only?) in February and March.

Interestingly, the case they showed (4-day ticket in November):

- 4-day ticket says "from $79/day". But for November, the lowest possible price is $81 a day. But most 4 days stretches you will actually be paying an average per day above $90.

- Current 4-day tickets are "from $79/day". So for November, it appears to be a ~14% increase.

Overall, it seems a good deal more expensive. But it's complicated enough to make apples to apples comparisons difficult.

I also wonder if this will be dynamic... if people keep picking the cheapest option, will that option get more expensive? It would not be hard (at all) to program that in...

That's exactly what I think is going to happen.

When I bought my airline ticket for December, my friend bought hers 5 minutes later and paid $70 more for the exact same flight.

Demand for that flight kicked in an increase in cost.

I see Disney doing the same thing.

If I'm understanding correctly you won't make the change because of your FP's booked? As long as your new ticket is done soon after the other is cancelled the FP's will remain. I think it's something like 24 hours before the FP's would get cancelled - or maybe it's midnight. I'm not certain of the exact amount of time but it's definitely not immediate.
I'm sure that's the case, but with the IT problems of the last couple of weeks, I don't DARE try anything with what I have booked and showing up in my MDE. Even the CM seemed to agree that I was taking a chance on losing my bookings if I tried to do it. I will arrive on the 27th and try right away to add the 2 days, but if it's not cost effective, then I'll use my Uni tickets. I can convert (the Universal tickets) into a season pass like I've done in the past. I am planning another trip September 2019, staying offsite, so I can make that a Uni trip.

I'm confused by the "flexible option". Do I choose any random date and then add the $50 option? Assuming peak dates will be much more expensive than non-peak +50...why would anyone ever choose the peak dates? I must be missing something.

Also seems kind of weird that if I had bought my tickets through an agent, rather than online, they could add the days. I still bought the tickets through Disney and not a ticket vendor.

DL did that when DCA opened. The AP wouldn’t work for DCA unless upgraded to a 2-Park AP. And, they would not do upgrades during the first month that DCA was open.

DLR blocked out all lower levels of APs when DL celebrated its 50th. For that specific day, only the Deluxe Passport or whatever it was, was allowed.

Disney can alter their block outs according to crowd expectations and will give a few weeks notice.

I'm confused by the "flexible option". Do I choose any random date and then add the $50 option? Assuming peak dates will be much more expensive than non-peak +50...why would anyone ever choose the peak dates? I must be missing something.

It will depend on whether it's $50 for any ticket or just the specific 4-day ticket in the example shown in the video. If it's $12.50 per day, then in their example they would actually be paying $97.50 per day for the flex (because their price per day was $85 for the dates they selected).

If it's $50 for any ticket to upgrade to flexible, it's going almost always make sense to do that if you are traveling during a peak season. I'm guessing the flexible price is dynamic and based on ticket length. It also might be that if you pick value days and flexible ticket, the additional cost for "flexible" ramps up to the overall total of $97.50 per day (on a 4-day ticket).

It will depend on whether it's $50 for any ticket or just the specific 4-day ticket in the example shown in the video. If it's $12.50 per day, then in their example they would actually be paying $97.50 per day for the flex (because their price per day was $85 for the dates they selected).

If it's $50 for any ticket to upgrade to flexible, it's going almost always make sense to do that if you are traveling during a peak season. I'm guessing the flexible price is dynamic and based on ticket length. It also might be that if you pick value days and flexible ticket, the additional cost for "flexible" ramps up to the overall total of $97.50 per day (on a 4-day ticket).
Clear as mud :)
...not your explanation, just this whole thing in general!

i know we have to wait and see prices .but 2 question

1. if it is like airline with there prices you can book a flight and (if The price goes down ) you get a credit for the price different. will you get mickey dollars to spend at parks or how will they work that .no returns, price will never go down just up?

2.what to stop me from picking the cheapest day of the year and then add the flexible option to go at Xmas or Easter time

Kills me that they act like they are making it more convenient when they know they aren't.
No one will be able to purchase tickets to use "whenever" they feel like going.
Looks like a package will be the only thing that makes good sense in case you need to change your travel dates.
It likely won't effect me personally but I know people including family members that tend to stay offsite and purchase tickets separately but may not know super far in advance their exact dates which makes buying tickets difficult.
Since MK tickets are already like this my sister found it irritating when they went in August and were staying in a beach house and just wanted to go to MK for one day and did not know what day that would be until they arrived.
It did work for her and she was able to get ADR's and FP+ but I'd say she was lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter