New policy: No young kids at Victoria & Albert's

As a I asked before.
What about parents with an adult but mentally handicaped child who sits in a wheelchair, can't control his moves, needs a nappy and drools over his dinner.

Will they also be banned out??:confused3

Its so easy to judge over other people's children.

A child is subject to the ban regardless of disability.

or did you mean a handicapped adult that acts like a child??

It's quite simple really. A disability is protected under ADA so if the inappropriate/distrubing behavior is caused by the disability they cannot ban him/her for their actions. Age is not protected under ADA and it is perfectly legal to discriminate based on age as there are many things in life that require a certain level of maturity. This is why many places set minimum age requirements. The best example I can think of is many airport lounges and private clubs (without open bars) set minimum membership ages at 18 to keep a refined enviornment. I'll exclude those with open bars as alcohol can be cited as the reason for the age requirement.

RobinB: That very well may have increased the # of kids at V&A--.
I can't really see much of a genuine controversy here (or much negative impact), other than what the media may have tried their best to create.

If it boils down to any "numbers game", it'll be between those VERY VERY few who thought about bringing their 2 year old to V&A and now can't, vs those who might see that the new policy actually enhances the atmosphere at V&A and might want to try it out.

First of all I would like to thank you for having well brought up children.

Unfortunately the number of children who are able to, and do, act as yours are a severe minority. In my opinion the number would probably be less than 20%.

I really do have to disagree with this. I really think the number of families that have children misbehaving at the resturaunts is realitively small. Its just that their behavior takes up so much more space!! If 80% of the diners with children were misbehaving it would be bedlam. It just takes a few who let their kids run around, throw things or carry on very loudly to fill a room.

I vote "yes" for the new policy at V&As, "no" for extending it to other existing places- people often look forward to returning to a favorite. Now, if they were to build a new place, I would just look forward to going there when my kids were old enough. (I know this isn't a vote!!)
pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate:

It will surely not mean the downfall of this civization its just a trendsetting for the future.
" No kids allowed" reminds me of no Jude's allowed and that is just something so many young American soldiers died for.

Who will we kick out next?

I know this is from a few days ago, but, did you compare the restrictions at V&A's to the Nazi Holocaust? You, my friend are going a bit off the deep end here. I appreciate that you are from Holland, and the Netherlands has some drastically different social mores than we do in the states, but I don't think that this is an appropriate analogy.

Raidermatt:
The problem is that IF V&A had to take "action" for a disruptive under 10 tyke, it would mean that the parents DIDN'T take action and remove or quiet the child. The disruptive behavior would have already occured.
This move is clearly a pre-emptive strike and, I think, will be an effective one.

Very good point.

But I believe the reason this is the case is that Disney has set ZERO precedent for dealing with the issues. If they did, and made it clear they would deal with it, I think it would cut down on the already very rare cases where there is a disturbance.

At the very least, they should give it a legitimate shot before banning even the well-behaved.

One of the high-end restauranteurs quoted in the Sentinel article even said they would prefer to deal with the parents when the issue arises rather than keep all kids out.

As with many threads on disboards, it's obvious this thread is one that passes time while we wait on our WDW trip, or to plan for the next one. I understand that, but it's aggravating to see ADULTS complaining about ONE restaurant at WDW that doesnt allow children.

Who Cares?!

If you are offended by this policy, please stop going to VA! Show them what you think, write letters...pitch a fit! If you can judge a child's behavior by the post on disboards, I would say Disney was just in creating this policy.

If you're not offended by this policy, just soften the tone and look at those offended with understanding eyes and listen. VA will still be adults only after they have voiced their opinion.

Peace!

Raidermatt:
But the customers might not like that approach--especially if their dinner is already disrupted, or the parent can't (or won't) control the kid.

Since the majority are disruptive Disney has taken action which is necessary to keep people from being disturbed (and possibly also necessary to keep their fifth AAA Diamond).

First, I don't think there is ANY evidence that the majority of children brought to V&A are disruptive.

Second, I don't buy for a minute that Disney needed to do this to keep the fifth diamond. Most other five diamond restaurants do not ban children, and some even have a children's menu.

However, it's very possible they deal with disruptions whereas Disney does not.

Raidermatt:
But the customers might not like that approach--especially if their dinner is already disrupted, or the parent can't (or won't) control the kid.

Agreed, but what I am saying is that if Disney was clear about doing this, and followed through when necessary, then:

1- Disney would simply be in-line with what is expected at other 5-Diamond establishments,

and,

2- The already small number of disruptions would become even more rare.

Granted, the situation would not ALWAYS be ideal, but neither is Disney's solution.

I have brought one DD when she was 9yo to V&A and she behave better then most adults. I personally have dined there 3 times and yet to be disturbed by any children, which is more then I can say about a loud table of four adults that we were sat near to. I know they have no childrens menu but if you read Mr. Disney's Thanksgiving review he states the kitchen was making many orders of Mickey Mac and cheese since there were many children dining at V&A thay night and even had an order of it himself as part of the Chef's table meal,lol. I'm sure it is a rare instance children dining at V&A, and even more rare they are misbehaved children. More likely are the misbehaved, drunk adults. Should we banned them for interferring with my dining experience, or just chalk it up to the case of bad luck they happened to be there on the same night as myself. To a family one of the BIG advantages od WDW is that it's family friendly EVERYWHERE. I'm sure when the Four Season is up and rolling they will have an adult only restaurant that would met the needs of those who were concerned about unruly children ruining their experience.

A child is subject to the ban regardless of disability.

or did you mean a handicapped adult that acts like a child??

I mean a handicapped adult that acts like a child.

I read so many post here that the greatest problems are loud and crying children so an handicapped adult who behaves like a child must also be a great problem for these persons.

And what about the adult but deaf person who forgot the change the batteries in his hearing device?
He ore she also speaks loud and his ore heir’s table mates will have to shout back to them

There are so many adult that create the same problem as children.
Just let's not talk about the drunk guests that cause so many trouble.

uva

I too am in the air a bit. But, headphones, laptop, extended battery, i forget about the kids. Now, if the parents would actually plan for the plane trip, and bring, say, books, crayons, movies, life would be much easier. My kids, they think my laptop's sole purpose is to watch movies on the plane........(which, of course, it is!)

Oh, and if you are cross country or farther, fly at night, try to get them asleep.

thanks for the response though. While we differ on the opinion, I can certainly understand the problem of a few cause.

I to like VA. I think it is one of the best restaurants around. There is a pretty close runner up in cave creek az, Binkleys, if you ever get out there. We had a party for our 15 yr anniv. last year for about 5 couples that came out with us, and it was fantastic.

I know this is from a few days ago, but, did you compare the restrictions at V&A's to the Nazi Holocaust? You, my friend are going a bit off the deep end here. I appreciate that you are from Holland, and the Netherlands has some drastically different social mores than we do in the states, but I don't think that this is an appropriate analogy.

That also started with ONE person.
Its ALWAYS very wrong to rule out o group just because you don't like them ore just think they behave another way than yours.

If you don't like kids around go to NY ore another aduld place.

2Princes2Princesses said:
Not ALL signature restaurants. One besides V&A's. That's all I am sayin'. Like Yachtsman. Other places serve steak and are nice. If the Yachtsman went 10 and over only, all other signature restaurants stayed all ages, you would vacation elsewhere???

Well, obviously if I'm not supportive of the decision at V&A, then I certianly wouldn't be supportive of it happening elsewhere. Also, I don't really put the Yachtsman in any higher a category than most of the other signature restaurants, so I don't really get picking it out.

But to answer the question, yes, if this were to crossover to other signature restaurants, it would start to affect how often we visit WDW and for how long.

raidermat, I think you hit it on the head. Where other restaurants will intervene at a table if there is a problem, the Disney motto probably does not allow that to occur, even at VA. Hence, the easy way is to institute the ban. Doesn't really matter though, we can talk and pontificate all we want, still not gonna change.

I also have to say that this policy will also effect us.

My parents Golden aniversary is May of 09. The last time we dined at V&A with my then 9yo my dad said let's plan on our Golden at the Chefs Table will all the kids. My youngest will be "almost" 7yo at that time. Dad was actually the one who told me about the new policy after reading it in the WSJ and now says we'l have to make different plans.

Personally, I would have never really considered VA before the new policy. But now, I may make some ressies there on future trips.

raidermat, I think you hit it on the head. Where other restaurants will intervene at a table if there is a problem, the Disney motto probably does not allow that to occur, even at VA. Hence, the easy way is to institute the ban. Doesn't really matter though, we can talk and pontificate all we want, still not gonna change.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not going to change again.

That's what many said when the signature dining dress code was updated a few years ago. It included no t-shirts and no flip flops. It was then changed last year and now specifically says t-shirts are ok, and no longer mentions flip flops at all.

Uncleromulus said:
If it boils down to any "numbers game", it'll be between those VERY VERY few who thought about bringing their 2 year old to V&A and now can't, vs those who might see that the new policy actually enhances the atmosphere at V&A and might want to try it out.

True. One thing though... It seems that when most refer to a kid causing trouble, most of the comments are about people bringing their 2 or 3 year old (sometimes with "whining" or "unruly" attached up front... which you didn't. Thanks).

But there's a big difference between a 2 year old and a 9 year old when it comes to table manners. I would have serious doubts about any parent's intention to bring a 2 year old to V&A. I'm not necessarily saying they should be banned, but there are very few 2 year olds that could handle the situation, no matter how well behaved.

disneywith4boys said:
I really do have to disagree with this. I really think the number of families that have children misbehaving at the resturaunts is realitively small. Its just that their behavior takes up so much more space!! If 80% of the diners with children were misbehaving it would be bedlam. It just takes a few who let their kids run around, throw things or carry on very loudly to fill a room.

I also disagree with that assumption (and therefore agree with you).

I never used to pay attention, but after reading comments saying "most" kids misbehave or are rowdy, I now actually am a little more aware of what others are doing. When I see a kid being unruly and not being dealt with by the parents, I look around and usually see many other children doing nothing wrong.

They just don't grab our attention like the unruly ones do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter