• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Parking Structure/Pedestrian Bridge Question

We stayed at Hojo over last weekend. As we walked by Carousel I was surprised to see that Disney is letting it become an eyesore. It looked like the irrigation for the landscaping had been turned off and there was spray paint marking the utility lines all over the ground. It was a stark contrast to the well maintained appearance of the other hotels on Harbor. I hope the don't let it continue to deteriorate before they demolish it.

We stayed at Hojo over last weekend. As we walked by Carousel I was surprised to see that Disney is letting it become an eyesore. It looked like the irrigation for the landscaping had been turned off and there was spray paint marking the utility lines all over the ground. It was a stark contrast to the well maintained appearance of the other hotels on Harbor. I hope the don't let it continue to deteriorate before they demolish it.
OMG- I've seen this tactic before!! And in my home town. If it becomes enough of an eyesore the city may concede to Disney's demands. Crime might even pop up at the site forcing the city's hand as everyone demands the eyesore and danger be demolished. Dirty but affective tactic.

OMG- I've seen this tactic before!! And in my home town. If it becomes enough of an eyesore the city may concede to Disney's demands. Crime might even pop up at the site forcing the city's hand as everyone demands the eyesore and danger be demolished. Dirty but affective tactic.

Perhaps. But also keep in mind that Disney plans to demolish the building. So why waste resources on upkeep? If things had gone as planned they would have knocked the building down by now.

Another related question....I've heard that they are expanding Park Vue Inn (which is next door to our hotel). I assume this won't start for awhile as well?

Perhaps. But also keep in mind that Disney plans to demolish the building. So why waste resources on upkeep? If things had gone as planned they would have knocked the building down by now.

To be a "good neighbor" in a town that they claim to care so much for the well being of?

Anaheim may cave to dirty tricks and give in as suggested or they may well get wise and fine Disney for code violations. It happened around here when a developer tried something similar and the city was having none of it-that was in summer though during the drought and they had new city ordinances about dry brush and other things being a fire hazard. City officials also didn't mind talking to the media about the developer being a poor neighbor and not a good asset to the community.

Disney doesn't need to get blasted in the media over keeping derelict buildings across from the park. Now that would be bad for business.

I agree with you. And I honestly do not think the walk will be that much farther since they said the businesses could build direct access to the walkway that leads to the new transportation and security center.
Assuming they can build direct-access at a reasonable cost, the new gateway will actually be better for their guests because won't ever have to dodge traffic or wait for a crosswalk signal.

The only one that is truly hurt by this is the Candy Cane Inn. They are already on the same side of the road as Disneyland. Now, their guests will have to cross the street to get to the new gateway.

The only one that is truly hurt by this is the Candy Cane Inn. They are already on the same side of the road as Disneyland. Now, their guests will have to cross the street to get to the new gateway.

True but those staying there could also just take the shuttle.

But people have said they're keeping a street level security check (it's mentioned several times starting with post #20.) Without any Harbor Blvd access, it wouldn't matter if the crosswalk that HoJo'ers use stays. Seems like no issue for Candy Cane'ers unless I missed something (which is entirely possible.)

So far I honestly see no significant downside for anyone except possibly the restaurants. If Disney has given the ok for the mostly rundown motels (yes, several of them with the best location are rundown) to connect to the path, then that solves that. This may be true for the restaurants also but I haven't looked at the McDonald's access issue properly. If hotels have to give up something to build their access, so-be-it. The closest properties have capitalized on their location for years without putting capital back into their properties. Sure, the Desert Inn for example may be clean, but it is shabby. It may work well for some, I understand that and there's nothing wrong with prioritizing location over quality. But come on, they've been banking on location for years with little regard to quality, almost none in regard to modernization. They surely adjusted to the business boom Disney has brought them in the last decade(s), they will need to adjust again.

Guests may also have to adjust if they get priced out of across the street motels, should they actually upgrade. I don't feel boo hoo, too bad for them. I get it. It's a bummer to have to adjust sometimes and disappointment is natural. If they stop visiting because they're not willing to adjust (staying further away for the same cost), that's a valid choice anyone can make.

To me, it is more about catering to the guests who are visiting Disneyland, who are staying at those hotels, eating at those restaurants. Or those staying at the hotels who want to visit DTD for dinner? Why would they want to make it more difficult for them?

Disneyland isn't "trying to make it difficult." They need a bigger parking structure, period. They need to create a security checkpoint that is centralized. If you want to save money by staying at offsite hotels and eating offsite (which I also do just FYI), then you are already accepting that you are not going to get the full Disney Magic treatment. So people are going to have to walk to the new parking structure to go through security, it is what it is.

But people have said they're keeping a street level security check (it's mentioned several times starting with post #20.) Without any Harbor Blvd access, it wouldn't matter if the crosswalk that HoJo'ers use stays. Seems like no issue for Candy Cane'ers unless I missed something (which is entirely possible.)

There's different reports on the street level security check. The original idea was to force everyone through the new security and transportation hub. I think that some of the information is getting mixed up and it's all confusing as we wait for official word.

This article updated the current status of this project. Basically, Disney is still waiting to get their permits approved. Are they revising their plans to satisfy politicians and other business owners or are they just hoping the City will give in? No one knows.

If construction doesn't start in 2 months, it won't be done in time for the Galaxy's Edge opening.

http://micechat.com/168562-disney-pixar-pier/

...If construction doesn't start in 2 months, it won't be done in time for the Galaxy's Edge opening...
That will result in thousands of unhappy guests forced to park at the various "overflow" locations: Garden Walk, Convention Center...

That will result in thousands of unhappy guests forced to park at the various "overflow" locations: Garden Walk, Convention Center...

Seriously, that would be a nightmare! I wonder what permits they can't get? Maybe they just build parking structures on existing flat Disney owned parking lots in the mean time? Those could be done in time and I'm assuming they wouldn't need as many permits.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm proud of Anaheim for standing up to Disney- that proposal is ridiculous. I had no idea Disney had cut so much money from this walkway project. Disneyland isn't going anywhere and the Anaheim politicians can hold their ground until re-election time... could be very interesting. (Shuttling everyone out the back of the hotels on Harbor is stupid beyond belief- but in retrospect it is a great way for Disney to promote how "close" their own hotels are...) Disney will just have to pony up the money to put a system in place that works decent enough for everyone. Or Anaheim politicians will blink & let it go through as proposed- in which case, imho, they would look stupid beyond belief for holding up the project & having nothing to show for it. Guess we'll have stay tuned to find out what happens next! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter