• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Parking Structure/Pedestrian Bridge Question

I would be spitting fire if I was one of the businesses on Harbor and they were going to pull all of the pedestrian traffic away from my business because of security checkpoint issues. They should keep open a pedestrian security checkpoint pretty close to or where it already is, even if it's smaller in scale to other checkpoints.

Does anyone have an idea/hear of rumor of when the current crosswalk & entrance will be closed...? Will they keep it going until the entrance from the lot is open and ready (so sometime in 2018 or beyond?)

I would be spitting fire if I was one of the businesses on Harbor and they were going to pull all of the pedestrian traffic away from my business because of security checkpoint issues. They should keep open a pedestrian security checkpoint pretty close to or where it already is, even if it's smaller in scale to other checkpoints.
I think these businesses have expected this for some time. I know I read an article, maybe a year ago, where one of the Harbor Blvd hotels was forced to sell to the city, for something to do with a city Bus hub (I don't remember the details). It was about the same time the Carousel Inn was purchased by Disney.
So if there is going to be a major city bus hub there, I am guessing there will be a path of some sort, up to the security point on the bridge, or an additional security point somewhere.
It will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Darkbeer1, hope you're on the mend.

I saw in another thread/news that Star Wars opening in 2019. So will this delay the parking structure construction since it's not opening in 2018? Selfishly I'm hoping so (we're coming end of August)
I totally get that! And now that Star Wars land is confirmed with a 2019 date maybe that gives this project (and community) some breathing room.

Thank you, all is going very well, had my first "regular" meal in a week this morning, and should be sent home tomorrow :) So looks like they found it early, and removed it, so very lucky.

So once again, thanks to all who have sent best/wishes/prayers, or at least not to use my image as a dartboard for a week ;)

Getting back on topic, tonight was supposed to be the next City Planning Commission Hearing on the Eastern Gateway project, but was postponed, so far no word, and they said a minimum 30 days notice would be given before holding a workshop or hearing, so still waiting for the final plans and decisions to move forward...

I too appreciate your informative posts here and wish you a speedy recovery. My mom had colo-rectal cancer and beat it - I'm so glad they caught yours early!

I continue to watch this thread for developments because I find this whole process quite interesting. :sail:

Someone on Twitter said that the City of Anaheim denied the plans for the bridge over Harbor. So Disney is having to rethink it, apparently.

One dude on Twitter with no official source.

Disneyland Periscope ‏@tonytt25
@TomBellTheDIS yes, I have a friend who works for Disneyland and we were talking last night and he brought it to my attention

No first hand knowledge and tweeted 12 hours ago. Not from an official meeting. This would have been blown up in the news if accurate. If anything it is just a behind the scenes off the record negotiation to get more concessions outta Disneyland.

They don't start bulldozing building without assurances that the plan will move forward.

One dude on Twitter with no official source.

Agree.

Based on this that Darkbeer said in late January they haven't even met again to discuss it.
Getting back on topic, tonight was supposed to be the next City Planning Commission Hearing on the Eastern Gateway project, but was postponed, so far no word, and they said a minimum 30 days notice would be given before holding a workshop or hearing, so still waiting for the final plans and decisions to move forward...

After looking at the picture of bridge and new security area, I really hate this idea. All the hotels that are on Harbor close to the current entrance will be hurt a ton by this. Now if you stay at say Tropicana or HoJo, you won't be able to walk down the street, cross, and enter the parks. You'll have to go way backwards to go through security, then all the way back through the walkway and over the bridge. It'll make for a lot more walking. Especially if you're at Desert Palm, Candy Cane Inn....you'll have to cross the street going away from DL, walk all the way around to get to the security checkpoint or now take ART to that area. What are now walk-in properties will now be like staying over a mile away. No bueno.

As far as stalling StarWars land, that's hardly my concern. What Disney is doing is just making space to push DCA into the esplanade to make room for Marvel Land. But it will make ALL of those Harbor hotels not-so-convenient in the very near future. And yes, it will hurt IHOP, Denny's, McD's and Tony Roma's as well. You won't be able to just leave the park, hit those places for dinner and walk back. Now you'll have to go backwards through the security checkpoints on the far side and walk all the way back into the park. Disney may need to put in those airport moving sidewalks.
There will be winners and losers either way, the Harbor Blvd merchants hate this but I'm sure the properties on Manchester are loving it. Disney will do what's best for them and let the chips fall where they may. The other businesses will adapt to the changing environment or fail and be replaced with those who can. The Harbor hotels have made a mint charging a premium price for a run of the mill hotel room. They're upset that gravy train may be over.

I do think Disney could go a long way by providing access to the new complex to Harbor merchants.

There will be winners and losers either way, the Harbor Blvd merchants hate this but I'm sure the properties on Manchester are loving it. Disney will do what's best for them and let the chips fall where they may. The other businesses will adapt to the changing environment or fail and be replaced with those who can. The Harbor hotels have made a mint charging a premium price for a run of the mill hotel room. They're upset that gravy train may be over.

I do think Disney could go a long way by providing access to the new complex to Harbor merchants.

Yep, this is going to jack their rates up, too, since they'll sort of be the new 'across the street' properties. We usually stay our first night at the Motel6 before checking in onsite as it's one of the cheapest places in the area. I have a feeling that might change once the Gateway is complete, unless they allow the Harbor properties to punch through the wall.

I haven't been paying close attention to this, but I thought the permission had already been given. I mean, they gave permission to demolish the buildings already standing there, so you'd think the building permits would be a cert.

Except they need building permits, so really, they will do what Anaheim will let them do, and the city is also concerned for the businesses on Harbor.
Yes, obviously Disney can't do "whatever" they want. They will need to follow all applicable laws and codes.

The City's concerns for the Harbor businesses will be offset by their concern for the Manchester businesses (and of course Disney). Their role will primarily be as mediator to try and make everyone happy and profitable.

Last edited:

Disney offered a plan that would give those businesses the right to build access through the back of their properties. So basically if you stayed at the hotel you could literally walk through a gate and be on Disney property. However, they do expect the business to pay for their own construction costs, which honestly is fair. McDonald's cried out on that one claiming it was a liability to have access directly off their property. They just don't like it. I went to the website, I read their arguments, and I honestly think they're grasping at straws. It sucks financially, they don't like it, and they're making claims about safety, etc.. What about the safety of citizens crossing that congested street? It is a good idea to get them on a bridge, but people assumed the bridge would be like in Las Vegas and there would just be street access. Now they're all mad because it's more than that.

Except they need building permits, so really, they will do what Anaheim will let them do, and the city is also concerned for the businesses on Harbor.

The city wants the bridge too. They want the crosswalk closed. And they want to please Disney. This expansion to property across the street will mean more expansion opportunities to the parks themselves, and that means more guests and more money for the city.

I haven't been paying close attention to this, but I thought the permission had already been given. I mean, they gave permission to demolish the buildings already standing there, so you'd think the building permits would be a cert.

They have permissions regarding their own properties, but they're still working on the logistics of crossing the street. That isn't their property. They'll be building a bridge across a city street. And I think (not 100% sure but saw it in part of the arguments) they want the city to help fund the bridge.

I am just happy we should be safe from this stupid bridge during our June trip. And by the time we come back...hopefully we'll have an RV and won't be wanting to stay on Harbor anyway.

Any update on the construction? We're going end of August (staying at Desert inn across the street) and wondering if we'll be affected. Am hoping its delayed and all still quiet.

Any update on the construction? We're going end of August (staying at Desert inn across the street) and wondering if we'll be affected. Am hoping its delayed and all still quiet.
Project approval is still tied up between: Disney, Anaheim, Motels...
Once the project is approved, there will be construction noise. Actual changes to the Harbor entrances (crosswalks, security) will certainly not happen this year (likely years away).

The worry of the crosswalk is a ways away. Even if they get full approval and begin construction crossing the street will remain as normal until the project is completed. The issue could be construction noise. But I think they will have a lot to do on site before they move to the street area.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but the businesses on South Harbor have profited greatly from Disneyland for decades, so I don't fully appreciate why Disneyland has any responsibility to cater to their whims. Disneyland's goal is to enhance security (a very good thing in this day and age and with such a target rich environment), provide adequate parking for their guests and try to free up some of their own property for growth. So people will have to go from the hotels over to the new parking structure to get through security, I don't really see what the big deal is with that. It's not like people won't still be staying at those hotels and using the restaurants along that stretch. Without Disneyland being there, these businesses wouldn't exist in the first place. Everyone better hope this project gets completed by 2019 (not looking likely) because, if not, parking issues/traffic are going to be a massive nightmare when Star Wars Land opens.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but the businesses on South Harbor have profited greatly from Disneyland for decades, so I don't fully appreciate why Disneyland has any responsibility to cater to their whims. Disneyland's goal is to enhance security (a very good thing in this day and age and with such a target rich environment), provide adequate parking for their guests and try to free up some of their own property for growth. So people will have to go from the hotels over to the new parking structure to get through security, I don't really see what the big deal is with that. It's not like people won't still be staying at those hotels and using the restaurants along that stretch. Without Disneyland being there, these businesses wouldn't exist in the first place. Everyone better hope this project gets completed by 2019 (not looking likely) because, if not, parking issues/traffic are going to be a massive nightmare when Star Wars Land opens.

I agree with you. And I honestly do not think the walk will be that much farther since they said the businesses could build direct access to the walkway that leads to the new transportation and security center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter