New Parking Impacts Rope Drop Strategy at MK

We've been AP holders for several years, and over 100+ trips I've never parked anywhere other than Aladdin, Jafar, Simba, or Peter Pan. I honestly didn't even know Rapunzel and Ursula were lots. lol
The best was years ago, we got there so early we were parked in the first row under the monorail beam. Made it easy to find the car. lol

I've been parked under the monorail beam many times. It is wonderful. The walk to TTC is relatively short from there, and likewise, you don't have to mess with the tram on the way back, as it is a short walk back to the car.

I assume that handicap parking is still in the same place at TTC where it has always been, and if you are staying at the resort, is free?

We've been AP holders for several years, and over 100+ trips I've never parked anywhere other than Aladdin, Jafar, Simba, or Peter Pan. I honestly didn't even know Rapunzel and Ursula were lots. lol
The best was years ago, we got there so early we were parked in the first row under the monorail beam. Made it easy to find the car. lol
This is right where we were parked on September 12th day after Irma at just before 8am in Aladdin:
upload_2018-4-11_22-38-44.png

Was an easy walk that's for sure

1. I assume that handicap parking is still in the same place at TTC where it has always been,
2. and if you are staying at the resort, is free?

1. Yes. See the maps in the early posts of this thread.
2. Parking at the theme park lots is free to WDW resort guests.
(However, parking at the RESORTS is no longer free.)

Last edited:
MK just needs to fill in the lagoon and build parking garages..but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one lol

You're not alone. MK is the one park that I really dread getting to. Just because if either the ferry or monorails aren't working, it will take a while to get there.

Have you noticed that MK is the only park that does not have the parking lot close to the entrance? Disney didn't repeat MK's format again.

I used the CM lot for many years and every once in a while I would see a family get out of a car and I always wondered how did they end up there.
Yes, a CM gave us such a strange look. I don't know how we ended up there either. We have 2 PPO for BOG coming up in May and I'm actually worried that we may mess this up again!

Parking at MK.
The most-discussed car-related topic at WDW.

To the mods: Why is there a trend lately to move threads off the Theme Parks and Strategies Board? This thread is not about transportation---it is about the new parking policy's impact for early arrivals to the MK for EMMs or PPO ADRS, and the need to revise your strategy on when to arrive.

I agree with the PP, that’s not ‘usually’ the case to have buses running from the TTC to MK. If crowds or monorail and/or ferry issues dictate, yes - but otherwise you’re not likely to see them.
It actually happens pretty frequently. Whenever Disney expects crowds large enough to overwhelm the monorails & ferryboats, it sets aside a half dozen or so buses and drivers, but management doesn't start running them until crowds warrant. When I was a driver, I spent many mornings idling in the Mouse House waiting for the activation order that never came. On the busiest mornings, charter buses are also contracted and placed on standby.

One tiny one that fills fast. The walk isn't too bad and there are wheelchairs out there should you need to borrow one for the walk. Someone would have to go get it just before bridge and bring it back to car. You do have to go downhill then uphill to get under the road. Now you have to detour left a bit by ticket booths since they added Security out there.

If the small one is filled, our experience last week was parking in Jafar, once towards the back and once the front row by Handicapped lot. You do have to cross the tram path but during busy hours they had a CM there for you. Prior to this last trip they had been sending us to Zurg - that can be a very long walk.
I hope this is a permanent change. Jafar used to be handicapped overflow, but ever since Preferred Parking was started, I've always been routed to Zurg, with Jafar being held for Preferred. There's not a lot of room to unload a scooter in Zurg without playing in traffic; at least some of the closest spaces in Jafar are wider.

Last edited:
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I've been to Disney many, many times and at no point did I realize there were freaking buses at the TTC. I thought it was only monorail or boat. I know I can be oblivious but damn...that's bad even for me. :sad2:

ETA: The tram thing makes me crazy. People refuse to pay attention even when someone is basically saying "back the f*ck up." We've sat there for what felt like 5 minutes, while the mob waiting to get on a tram backed up behind the freaking yellow line.

Sorry, I should have clarified, WDW doesn't always run buses from the TTC to MK, usually only when there's an issue. That said, we've taken a bus between the two a number of times, so it absolutely pays to pay attention to any announcements!

Oh, along the same lines....WDW always says, "Don't sit on the handrails," right? Once we were arriving at AK via bus and an ambulance was there. We were sitting near the bus driver who said, "I see this at least once a week. Somebody loses their balance sitting on top of a bus stop handrail, hits their head, and has to go to the hospital." I always think of that now whenever I see kids doing it.

I parked in Alladin, row 207, arriving at 8:15 on a non-holiday-week Thursday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter