New menus at the Polynesian's Kona Cafe

We had an adr booked for 2/1 that I just cancelled today. I was excited about the wings but they look gross to me now.

Does anyone know if you're on the standard dining plan if sushi offering at lunch and dinner can be used as your entree choice at Kona Cafe? I have some sushi loving teens who want to eat here if that is the case, but would prefer to skip it if they can not redeem their dining credit for sushi, as they are not all that interested in what choices are listed under entrees for both lunch and dinner. They are specifically asking if they can order and redeem dinning credits for these offering listed below:

Kona Cafe – Sushi Offerings (Lunch and Dinner)
Kona-Lunch-Dinner-Rolls.png

I just grabbed an ADR for tonight, we are at the Poly and WIPED OUT.

Kid will probably have the burger and I am contemplating sushi or a couple of apps. we were not planning on it initially and have already done Ohana.

Does anyone have any sushi recs? my last sushi experience there was not great but it was many years ago and it was after CA Grill.

I am interested to see some more reviews, especially those on the DDP. On paper a 45 steak seems like a good use until you realize your only side is arugula and onion...

Out of everything on this new menu, the one thing I was truly excited to try was the Duck Fried Rice and Leg Confit-- sad to see the fried rice looks like it's basically what's served at Cap'n Cooks, but with duck substituted for pork.

Out of everything on this new menu, the one thing I was truly excited to try was the Duck Fried Rice and Leg Confit-- sad to see the fried rice looks like it's basically what's served at Cap'n Cooks, but with duck substituted for pork.
the people next to me had the fried rice and said it was good. I didn't ask details, I just overheard them talking about how the pork wings and the duck fried rice were the best things they had. I had the pork wings and concur about that! they were delicious!

the lobster and crab mac and cheese was awful though. I basically didn't eat it and he took it off my bill. The pasta was nearly on the crunchy side of al dente, the sauce was liquidly and pooling in the bottom rather than clinging to the pasta and it was overwhelmingly garlicky. And I cook with lots of garlic myself (meaning if the recipe says 1 clove I do at least 3-4 etc). I love garlic but have finally met the dish that has too much garlic in it. The waiter was great though and just took it off the bill.

The kid had the crispy cheddar burger and the burger was overcooked and dry - he ate some of it. But it did come with a ton of crispy bacon and crispy cheddar (I have a pic I can post later) and generic fries which he likes just fine and he ate enough to be quite full. But I tried a bite of the burger and it was pretty dry.

Kona Cafe has always been soso for us so I have no fond memories of a great meal there in the past... this was better than the last time when I had raw chicken wings (red near the bone) and sushi that had rock hard cold rice. Both of those went back as well and I was not hungry after biting into a rare chicken wing. The kid enjoyed his mickey ravioli at the time though. That is 2 for 2 where I've sent food back at this place. I would never make a special trip but I would eat again if I were staying here and didn't want to go out and just not be afraid to speak up about anything bad. The waiter was great and last time our waiter was not very good but I did get a manager to resolve it.

The room service menu still has old Kona menu btw, not sure if they are going to update it soon or what.

The pig wings were delicious though and I was actually fine with just those for dinner and my kid got fed and we were both exhausted and able to stumble back to the room so it has that going for it at least! But honestly I would have been fine with another order of thai meatballs from capt. cook's! Those were amazing! So if I'm back here again I might get the pig wings and the potstickers - which another neighboring table had and she commented they are very good - I think the same as before.

Did not try any expensive entrees, we are not on the DDP right now! We are going to california grill tonight, I told the kid to save his expensive steak for that!

We haven't been for a while. Used to go for the deep fried Crab Rangoon Sushi roll, and my beloved Chocolate banana Creme' brulee. New Menu looks interesting, but will have to give it a think. Will wait to see what dessert brings!!! ;)

What a strange menu. There is no real theme to the food offerings. And a $95 steak? Get outta here....

the people next to me had the fried rice and said it was good. I didn't ask details, I just overheard them talking about how the pork wings and the duck fried rice were the best things they had. I had the pork wings and concur about that! they were delicious!

the lobster and crab mac and cheese was awful though. I basically didn't eat it and he took it off my bill. The pasta was nearly on the crunchy side of al dente, the sauce was liquidly and pooling in the bottom rather than clinging to the pasta and it was overwhelmingly garlicky. And I cook with lots of garlic myself (meaning if the recipe says 1 clove I do at least 3-4 etc). I love garlic but have finally met the dish that has too much garlic in it. The waiter was great though and just took it off the bill.

The kid had the crispy cheddar burger and the burger was overcooked and dry - he ate some of it. But it did come with a ton of crispy bacon and crispy cheddar (I have a pic I can post later) and generic fries which he likes just fine and he ate enough to be quite full. But I tried a bite of the burger and it was pretty dry.

Kona Cafe has always been soso for us so I have no fond memories of a great meal there in the past... this was better than the last time when I had raw chicken wings (red near the bone) and sushi that had rock hard cold rice. Both of those went back as well and I was not hungry after biting into a rare chicken wing. The kid enjoyed his mickey ravioli at the time though. That is 2 for 2 where I've sent food back at this place. I would never make a special trip but I would eat again if I were staying here and didn't want to go out and just not be afraid to speak up about anything bad. The waiter was great and last time our waiter was not very good but I did get a manager to resolve it.

The room service menu still has old Kona menu btw, not sure if they are going to update it soon or what.

The pig wings were delicious though and I was actually fine with just those for dinner and my kid got fed and we were both exhausted and able to stumble back to the room so it has that going for it at least! But honestly I would have been fine with another order of thai meatballs from capt. cook's! Those were amazing! So if I'm back here again I might get the pig wings and the potstickers - which another neighboring table had and she commented they are very good - I think the same as before.

Did not try any expensive entrees, we are not on the DDP right now! We are going to california grill tonight, I told the kid to save his expensive steak for that!
The new pics look like the fries are just QS type. Did you find that to be true?

The new pics look like the fries are just QS type. Did you find that to be true?
Yes, my kid was more than happy with that But they weren't $20 entree fries. I o have a pic but the file is too big on my phone..

Wow! The Island Burgers and Sticky Wings were our favorites there. Rated that burger as the best kept burger secret on the property. Hate when the faves go away....

Yes, my kid was more than happy with that But they weren't $20 entree fries. I o have a pic but the file is too big on my phone..
Thanks! It's not that I would always want fries, but I would expect a little better than QS fries. It seems a lot or TS are going to that. Of all the things, that one irritates me for some reason lol.

Kona used to be good when they had the separate lunch menu. There was a pork taco that was good. My DS loved the steak they used to have at dinner I think it was served with broccoli. Their menu now isnt appealing at all. We will go for dessert my family loves the lava cake there.

I never really liked the old Kona menu. So i find this to be an improvement. BUT i noticed with the steak menu that they are served without sides, only arugula and chipollini (type of onion). If you want mashed potato for example, that comes at an additional cost. Is this for real? Its not even a signature restaurant! They did this at Artist Point, which is fine because it was a signature. But at Kona?

Someone correct me if im wrong? Am i just not seeing it right?

Duck Ramen sounds interesting... for me... DH not really anything so maybe for us just going for breakfast... or just for sushi...

Oh - I am so bummed out they took sticky wings off the menu! Going to Kona for
sticky wings was always a 'must-do' for us! Rats....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter