New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

We just got off the Disney Wonder and another Cast Member told us the first new ship will be called Disney Imagination... Hmm - we were told that back in October 2016 on the Fantasy...
Could it be? ;)

Are the new ships expected to be bigger than the Dream class ships? We sailed on the Dream once and did not like it. Way, way, WAY too crowded. We like the Magic and Wonder. If the new ships are going to hold yet more people, we may pass.
According to the website (information is very limited) they will be very similar to the Dream and Fantasy. Same number of staterooms at 1250 and slightly larger at 135,000 tons vs 130,000 (Dream/Fantasy)
http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwe...ey_cruise_line/n_n__2021/disney_fantasy_3.jsp

This could probably go in the rumor category, but we did a ship tour on our cruise and the guide told us that the new ships would never be named the Lillian, because there is a tradition/superstition that you never name your ship after a wife or girlfriend, because then the ship will be jealous.

We just got off the Disney Wonder and another Cast Member told us the first new ship will be called Disney Imagination... Hmm - we were told that back in October 2016 on the Fantasy...
Could it be? ;)

It's a good name since that is what Disney has always been about! I wonder if any of the ships will ever have a statue of Walt Disney.

My thought on names (none are new ideas on this thread):

1. Since Wonder and Dream are both a noun and a verb, I'm thinking Wish.
2. To follow the Magic, Fantasy theme (and both are nouns), Enchantment.
3. Because it's what Disney is all about, Imagine.

Page one updated.

I think I like Disney Imagine even more than Disney Imagination. Disney Wish is great and so is Disney Believe, but I hope for one of them to be Disney Star.

Hey, how about Disney Galaxy -- for Guardians of the Galaxy! I'm adding that one, too. Oh, this is harder than naming a child :laughing:

It's exciting since there are three ships coming out to see what the names will be. :surfweb:

It still "irks" me that Carnival named one of their ships Magic ;)

Last edited:
Page one updated.

I think I like Disney Imagine even more than Disney Imagination. Disney Wish is great and so is Disney Believe, but I hope for one of them to be Disney Star.

Hey, how about Disney Galaxy -- for Guardians of the Galaxy! I'm adding that one, too. Oh, this is harder than naming a child :laughing:

It's exciting since there are three ships coming out to see what the names will be. :surfweb:

It still "irks" me that Carnival named one of their ships Magic ;)

You do realize that Carnival also has Dream and Fantasy. This is why to always say the names of DCL ships as the christened names: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, and Disney Fantasy.
As for Galaxy, I really hope the DCL avoids naming any of the ships for it movie franchises. The DCL ships should transcend individual franchises or characters.

Here is the timeline of the Dream build from wikipedia and my guess when the next ship will be done (purely a wild guess based on how long it took to build the Dream)

Dream
February 2007 - New ships announced
March 2009 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships were named
August 19, 2009 - Keel laid
October 29, 2009 - Design unveiled to public
June 1, 2010 - Exterior of ship done
October 30, 2010 - Ship Float Out
January 26, 2011 - Maiden Voyage

Next Disney ship N.N 2021
March 2016 - New ships announced
April 2019 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships named
September 2019 - Keel laid
November 2019 - Design unveiled to public
July 2020 - Exterior of ship done
November 2020 - Ship Float Out
February 2021 - Maiden Voyage

Dream Announcement to First Steel Cut was ~25 months. You have it at ~37 months for the new ships. Why the extra year?

You do realize that Carnival also has Dream and Fantasy. This is why to always say the names of DCL ships as the christened names: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, and Disney Fantasy.
As for Galaxy, I really hope the DCL avoids naming any of the ships for it movie franchises. The DCL ships should transcend individual franchises or characters.

Yeah but Disney Magic was her first, and it's kinda special to some. Plus I think Carnival came out with the Magic before the Dream and Fantasy ?

Good job on the names, folks. I'm longing the new itineraries. Here is what I predict:

Wonder: Summer in Alaska (glacier viewing), some Hawaii, Panama canal, winter in the Caribbeans
New ship 1: Full-time on the west coast, summer in Alaska (maybe the longer itineraries), Hawaii, Baja California, Galapagos?

Magic: Summer in Northern Europe, also TA, fall/winter on the east coast/in the Caribbeans
New ship 2: Full-time in Europe/Mediterranean and mid/south Atlantic, Canaries / Azores / Greek Isles in the fall/winter

Dream: As is
Fantasy: As is

New ship 3: Summer in or near Japan/Southeast Asia/Disneyland Shanghai, winter in Australia and South Pacific

And a once a year TransPacific and/or Indian Ocean would be really yummy.:-)

Good job on the names, folks. I'm longing the new itineraries. Here is what I predict:

Wonder: Summer in Alaska (glacier viewing), some Hawaii, Panama canal, winter in the Caribbeans
New ship 1: Full-time on the west coast, summer in Alaska (maybe the longer itineraries), Hawaii, Baja California, Galapagos?

Magic: Summer in Northern Europe, also TA, fall/winter on the east coast/in the Caribbeans
New ship 2: Full-time in Europe/Mediterranean and mid/south Atlantic, Canaries / Azores / Greek Isles in the fall/winter

New ship 3: Summer in or near Japan/Southeast Asia/Disneyland Shanghai, winter in Australia and South Pacific

Does the PC contract specifically name Dream and Fantasy? For some reason I thought it was that the newest ships were to sail out of PC year-round?

Can you imagine how quickly a TP would sell out???

I hope you're right about some of your predictions. New destinations need to happen. However I have a feeling that DCL will put at least one of their new ships in Port Canaveral. Those cruises sell like crazy due to them being so close to Disney World. Maybe move the Dream to the West Coast for Disneyland?

I've said it before, but I would LOVE to see them put a ship out of NYC for more than a couple of months when school is in session.

If Disney follows like the last time they rolled out the new ships, I figure the Dream and Fantasy will both be bumped to other locations. May not be right away, but after all 3 are completed with construction.

New ship 1- Adds to the shorter trips out of Port Canaveral with the Dream. Highest demand is for these cruises, so 2 ships doing them make sense.
New Ship 2- Takes the Dream's place, sending her to the West Coast.
New Ship 3- takes the Fantasy's place
Dream, once NS 2 arrives, Mexico and Hawaii cruises, Alaska runs in season
Fantasy, once NS 3 arrives, Asia and Australia, Pacific cruises.
Magic alternates between NYC and Europe
Wonder goes to Europe full time

Also, would not be surprised if Disney announces another private island location somewhere in the Caribbean! Castaway Cay is amazing, but with more ships, it can't handle the work load, so Disney leases another amazing spot and some plans you go to both their islands on one 7 night cruise!!

Love to have one in Asia and Oceania! A restaurant with Asian cuisine would be wonderful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter