New car buying help needed!

BrinkofSunshine

DIS Veteran
Hey all,

Looking for opinions on the cars I'm considering, all of which are new (2019 or 18): Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris (or Corolla if there's a good deal), Kia Soul, and Volkswagen Jetta. If anyone has any insight into these cars or brands I'd love to hear your opinions. I currently drive a Chevy Spark and I am at my wits' end with how many times this car has been in the shop (and my 3-year warranty is up now and I just hit 30k miles). I'm hoping to jump on an end of year deal. I'm leaning towards the Honda as they have such a great reputation, but there's things I like about the other cars as well. Thanks!

Well, I think you can't go wrong with any of the cars. I've owned all of the brands with the exception of a Kia and I'd have no problem buying one. I think you should test drive all of them to see which one you like the best. Very quickly, a test drive will tell you if you want the car or not. I recently bought a Toyota but was eyeing a Honda CRV. Drove the CRV, hated it, so that was resolved. I also currently own a Hyundai Elantra and a old Honda Element. Of all, the Hondas I've had have problem required the most visits to the shop.

Anyway, I'll say something here about the Jetta. Of all the cars listed here, VW probably has the lowest reliability. My daughter bought a 2014 Jetta against my wishes (I'm strictly a Japanese import buyer), but I *LOVE* that car. I ended up using it for a year last year when she moved into the city and didn't really need it. Can I say again I LOVED THAT CAR. We've never had an ounce of issues with it. The 2019 Jetta is now out and I'm thinking of giving up my new Toyota Camry and getting one. My coworker (male) just bought a 2018 and he loves it. It is so zippy. It is also going to be roomier than the other cars you listed with the exception of the Kia Soul. VW is also offering great prices on a 2018 Jetta. I think you can get a Jetta for about $16,000. Phenomenal gas mileage (better than they report on the sticker whereas the other cars seem to get worse than sticker). Many of their cars they are giving a 72 month warranty on also. No I do not work for VW!

DH just bought a 2015 Honda Fit after a deer decided DH no longer needed his Toyota Yaris. Heck, just the airbag going off in the Yaris totaled it! Anyway, the Fit is such a huge step up from the Yaris. It has some bells and whistles and gets amazing gas mileage at close to 40 and sometimes more. I love the way it rides and it is quiet. The back has tons of leg room - almost more than my Pilot.

We, too, have become a Japanese car family. We had plenty of Oldsmobiles, Dodges, Fords (still have a Ford pick up) but now only have Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Subaru. Our current cars have required MUCH less in repairs than our previous cars. And all of the current cars (except the new Fit) are well over 100,000 miles. Even the Yaris was over 100,000 and still going strong.

My Mom has a Kia Soul and really likes it. The only thing is the "trunk" is the tiniest little thing you can even imagine. When the back seats are up, there is about 1 foot of "trunk" space back there.

I just bought my third Sonota. Mine is a 2019 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. Probably more car than you need coming from a Chevy Spark. My last one was a leased 2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T as well, so I just returned the lease and got the upgraded version. First one was a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (I don't recall if it was a Limited, but due to the military received a lot more miles than normal as I was living 3 hours away from my hubby and kids).

I know Kia has been having some issues lately, but I wouldn't rule it out. I am not a fan of Jetta's. Some people seem to love them.

For my teens I am looking at a 2018 Hyundai Kona. You should check out the Kona. It is really cute and a new model as of 2018. It is on an Hyundai Accent frame but is a small SUV.

I just bought my third Sonota. Mine is a 2019 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. Probably more car than you need coming from a Chevy Spark. My last one was a leased 2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T as well, so I just returned the lease and got the upgraded version. First one was a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (I don't recall if it was a Limited, but due to the military received a lot more miles than normal as I was living 3 hours away from my hubby and kids).

I know Kia has been having some issues lately, but I wouldn't rule it out. I am not a fan of Jetta's. Some people seem to love them.

For my teens I am looking at a 2018 Hyundai Kona. You should check out the Kona. It is really cute and a new model as of 2018. It is on an Hyundai Accent frame but is a small SUV.

Yeah, I'm one of them.:) It's crazy. Never thought I could love a car so much and, being a Japanese auto buyer/cheerleader, it scared me to death!!!

Your most reliable information on various cars would be the various 3rd parties who objectively evaluate vehicles like Consumer's Reports, Motor Trend, etc. On-line you tend to find people who wants to bash everything a company makes when they happened to have one bad experience with their vehicle. People with bad experiences tend to be more vocal on-line compared to those who had a good experience.

As far as overall quality, Consumer Reports says:

Honda Fit: 71 Overall Score, 5/5 Reliability, Recommended.
Hyundai Accent: 61, 3/5, Not Recommended
Toyota Yaris: 68, 5/5 , Recommended.
Toyota Corolla: 79, 5/5 , Recommended
Kia Soul: 72, 4/5 , Recommended
Volkswagen Jetta: 69, 3/5 , Recommended

Hey all,

Looking for opinions on the cars I'm considering, all of which are new (2019 or 18): Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris (or Corolla if there's a good deal), Kia Soul, and Volkswagen Jetta. If anyone has any insight into these cars or brands I'd love to hear your opinions. I currently drive a Chevy Spark and I am at my wits' end with how many times this car has been in the shop (and my 3-year warranty is up now and I just hit 30k miles). I'm hoping to jump on an end of year deal. I'm leaning towards the Honda as they have such a great reputation, but there's things I like about the other cars as well. Thanks!

Oh, I love helping with this stuff. I make my living and hobby on cars. Sorry you're having such issues with the Spark, but since you're getting rid of it anyway I'll tell you that I'm not surprised. They're pieces of junk. They're actually a Daewoo with a Chevy badge slapped on it. They're unreliable penalty boxes on wheels.

Of the cars on your list, first I'd say avoid the Jetta like the plague. If you think the Spark is unreliable, wait until you get into a VW. Have a good backup transportation plan, you'll need it. Of the rest, I'd strike out the Accent next. Great little car, but not as good as the others. Yaris is as reliable as gravity, but kind of a bland, "meh" car IMO. My top two choices would be the Soul or the Fit. The Fit is also as reliable as gravity, amazing interior space for such a small car and pretty fun to drive. It's slow as molasses and is pretty buzzy at highway speeds. It's perfectly safe on the highway, but because the engine is so underpowered the transmission is geared to help it. This leaves it revving a bit at 70mph+. The Soul is very reliable, versatile, roomy, comes with lots of features and pretty fun to drive. It's also a bit better of a highway cruiser. So for me, the Fit and Soul are head of the class by a good margin, Yaris and Accent are one tier below, and scratch VW off your list as fast as possible. You should also look at the Mazda3, it's a better can than anything on your list.

At that price point, I'd also very highly suggest looking at a lightly pre-owned car. You can get a 2 year old car with under 30k miles that's far better than anything on your list. Shop carefully and you can even get one that is Certified Pre-Owned, aka "CPO". Accord, Camry, Sonata, Malibu, Fusion, Mazda 6 come to mind. They'll have a great warranty, and besides cars like Honda, Toyota and Kia/Hyundai are inherently reliable anyway.

EDIT: I would not recommend bothering with Consumer Reports. They are not regarded as auto experts in the community. They're better with washing machines and toasters.

EDIT: I would not recommend bothering with Consumer Reports. They are not regarded as auto experts in the community. They're better with washing machines and toasters.
Who would you suggest? KBB is now owned by AutoTrader, Edmunds tries to sell me the cars it's reviewing....

Who would you suggest? KBB is now owned by AutoTrader, Edmunds tries to sell me the cars it's reviewing....

I actually think Edmunds does quite a good job giving evaluations on cars, both from the features/value/reliability/practicality aspect and the driving experience. I like them. You'll get good "car" information from Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Autoweek, Motorweek. They are very thorough in car testing, because that's their entire existence. Just keep in mind they are enthusiast oriented. For example, they love most German cars, such as VW, BMW, Audi. That's because there is no question they're incredibly fun to drive, but they don't have to live with the cars day in and day out. So while I highly suggest them too (I've been a Car and Driver subscriber for 35 years), supplement what they say with good reliability information. In full disclosure, DW and I very much want a BMW. I nearly bought one last spring, but just couldn't trust them, so I bought an Infiniti. However, this spring I think I may get rid of it and get a CPO BMW. However, I can assure you as soon as the CPO warranty is about to expire, it's getting sold. I refuse to deal with one long term.

How about a Honda Civic? I have a 2018 Sport Touring edition. You can get a less expensive model, but I love that car. Mine is a hatchback, Civics come in regular sedans as well.

I think Civics might be a bit out of my price range, but I’m absolutely open to one if I can find a deal.

Oh, I love helping with this stuff. I make my living and hobby on cars. Sorry you're having such issues with the Spark, but since you're getting rid of it anyway I'll tell you that I'm not surprised. They're pieces of junk. They're actually a Daewoo with a Chevy badge slapped on it. They're unreliable penalty boxes on wheels.

Of the cars on your list, first I'd say avoid the Jetta like the plague. If you think the Spark is unreliable, wait until you get into a VW. Have a good backup transportation plan, you'll need it. Of the rest, I'd strike out the Accent next. Great little car, but not as good as the others. Yaris is as reliable as gravity, but kind of a bland, "meh" car IMO. My top two choices would be the Soul or the Fit. The Fit is also as reliable as gravity, amazing interior space for such a small car and pretty fun to drive. It's slow as molasses and is pretty buzzy at highway speeds. It's perfectly safe on the highway, but because the engine is so underpowered the transmission is geared to help it. This leaves it revving a bit at 70mph+. The Soul is very reliable, versatile, roomy, comes with lots of features and pretty fun to drive. It's also a bit better of a highway cruiser. So for me, the Fit and Soul are head of the class by a good margin, Yaris and Accent are one tier below, and scratch VW off your list as fast as possible. You should also look at the Mazda3, it's a better can than anything on your list.

At that price point, I'd also very highly suggest looking at a lightly pre-owned car. You can get a 2 year old car with under 30k miles that's far better than anything on your list. Shop carefully and you can even get one that is Certified Pre-Owned, aka "CPO". Accord, Camry, Sonata, Malibu, Fusion, Mazda 6 come to mind. They'll have a great warranty, and besides cars like Honda, Toyota and Kia/Hyundai are inherently reliable anyway.

Thanks for all that info Klayfish! I’ll throw the Jetta off my list. It was a last minute addition to my consideration list because the new Jetta seemed to have a lot going for it, but at this point I want reliability. I’m actually relieved to hear that the Spark is as bad as I’ve been thinking it is. It’s such a cute car and I’ve been reluctant to part with it, but it’s started just giving out when at stoplights (have to turn off/on the car) and the shop can’t find anything wrong with it. Ugh.

I’ll add Mazda to my list and focus on Honda and Kia. Also- is the Malibu a reliable car? I swore off Chevy (and American cars) after this Spark but I know they have some good deals going on and my dealership may work with me.

Great to know about the highway driving too. My commute just jumped from suburban streets to a lot of 80+ highway, and gas mileage is now a big concern. I don’t know why but my Spark seems to chug gas for such a tiny car.

Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla or Camry, even if you have to go certified pre-owned. My husband bought a 2015 Camry two months ago, and it is a really nice car for what he paid. Very comfortable to ride in.

Thanks for all that info Klayfish! I’ll throw the Jetta off my list. It was a last minute addition to my consideration list because the new Jetta seemed to have a lot going for it, but at this point I want reliability. I’m actually relieved to hear that the Spark is as bad as I’ve been thinking it is. It’s such a cute car and I’ve been reluctant to part with it, but it’s started just giving out when at stoplights (have to turn off/on the car) and the shop can’t find anything wrong with it. Ugh.

I’ll add Mazda to my list and focus on Honda and Kia. Also- is the Malibu a reliable car? I swore off Chevy (and American cars) after this Spark but I know they have some good deals going on and my dealership may work with me.

Great to know about the highway driving too. My commute just jumped from suburban streets to a lot of 80+ highway, and gas mileage is now a big concern. I don’t know why but my Spark seems to chug gas for such a tiny car.

Remember, the Spark isn't an "American" car anyway. It's Korean, and from a company that has a very poor quality reputation. GM owns Daewoo, but has never addressed the quality issues, they're terrible cars overall. They've been selling cars here as Chevy and Pontiacs for many years, and all have been garbage.

The concept of "American" cars or "Japanese" cars is sort of blurry anyway now, it's a very global market. Chrysler is owned by Fiat, all Honda Accords sold in the USA are built here and specific to the US market, on and on.... But generally speaking, the American nameplates are inferior to the Asian nameplates (with the exception of Daewoo). The Malibu isn't a bad car per se, it's just not quite as good as the Accord, Camry, Altima. It'll be decently reliable, not as good as a Honda, but far better than the Spark. The reason I mentioned it is that you can get them cheaper than the Accord. If you need A to B transportation, they aren't bad.

Your Spark has to work hard to keep up highway speeds, hence fuel mileage isn't as good as you'd like.

If you're doing a lot of highway driving, I'd really suggest looking at a somewhat larger car that's more comfortable on the highway. The only one on your list that won't seem a bit buzzy will be the Soul. I'd recommend a lightly used Civic, Corolla, Elantra, Mazda3. Or one size bigger, like the Accord, Camry, Mazda6, Malibu, Sonata/Optima. Here's an example of a low mileage CPO Accord that costs less than a brand new Soul. https://www.breakawayhonda.com/used-Greenville-2016-Honda-Accord-LX-1HGCR2F37GA041425 I don't know your budget or location, but this was just an example.

You won't go wrong with the Yaris, Soul or Fit. They're all really good cars. But for lots of highway duty, I'd go a bit bigger. My commute is 60 miles each way, mostly highway. I wouldn't do it in a Fit, even though I love the car (used to own one). From early 2016 to early 2018 I had a '13 Hyundai Elantra as my commuter. Plenty comfortable on the highway, very reliable and easily got 35-36mpg. I have automotive ADHD, I don't keep cars more than 12-24 months :D , so I got something nicer last year. I'd put the Elantra in the same recommended class as the Corolla, Civic.

Last edited:
I would also check the safety ratings on the IIHS website, to make sure there aren’t any major safety issues with any of the cars you are thinking about. I bought a new car last year, and I actually waited to get a later model so a safety issue could be addressed in a model year update.

But, all other things being equal, a test drive is the most important part of the process. Make sure the seat fits you comfortably and that you have plenty of legroom (I have long legs and tend to bang my knee into the steering wheel if I don’t get enough leg room). Also make sure the head rest is comfortable and not pushing your head too far forward. Make sure you can open and close the trunk/rear door easily if it doesn’t have automatic open/close, and that you have enough room to carry whatever you like to carry.

If it matters to you, check for a spare tire and a place to store it. Many new cars are just giving you a can of Fix A Flat instead of a spare. They don’t even have a place to put a spare, so if you bought an aftermarket wheel and tire, you would lose whatever space it takes up in your trunk if the car isn’t made for it. That was a deal breaker for me. I work a non traditional schedule with an hour commute each way. I did not want to get a flat at 5:00am on Christmas Day and just have a can of Fix A Flat to depend on.

I like to go to one of those auto mall kind of places that carry many different makes to do some test driving to narrow down the choices, then once I know what I want, I go where I can get the best overall deal. It’s easier than going from lot to lot to lot when you want to try so many different ones.

Have fun with the hunt!

Thanks again @Klayfish, I’m going to check with my bank re: financing a new or old vehicle (I got an incentive buying a new car last time, hence why I haven’t been looking at used cars). At the moment I’ve been aiming at $17k or below- but this will also depend on how much I can get for my trade-in.

Other than the VW, all are good choices. I'd run from the VW. DS and DDIL have a Jetta. Drives nice but all the dash electronics died literally a month after the warranty expired, at a cost of $2,000 and then the a/c compressor died at a cost of $1,300.

DS is an engineer in the auto industry. He drives an Accord. He says Honda is one of his more difficult customers as they are very demanding, but the bang for the buck is the best.

We've also owned Hondas, Lexus, and Fords. The Ford were ok, but did not match the 300k miles we got out of the Hondas (that were still alive and kicking, but we get tired of cars after 15 or so years). The Lexus is still going OK 13 years, but they are a lot pricier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter