New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

First hand experience with new ECV WDW bus process. It seemed to me that these busses were pretty much random as far as destination goes. I was staying at Port Orleans- Riverside and there was no pattern as to what type of bus came for which park. Out of 20 bus rides (to/from PO-R) 7 were the new fitted busses. Of the 7, 5 were just me (1 ECV) and 1 was 2 ECV's (me and one in other new thingy) and the last was 3 ECVs - 2 in the "new" set up and the 3rd in an old style one. One driver told me that I could identify which busses were equipped with the new set up as they were part of the "5200" numbered series. Unfortunately it was toward the end of my stay - and of the 2 52## busses I had after learning that - 1 was the new set up and the other was not.
Getting on the bus was actually very very easy. For all of my 7 trips - I was the 1st ECV to board and on each of those trips I was given the choice by the driver to go up the ramp forward and turn around once I got in the bus (you MUST back into the designated space) or go up backwards. On 5 trips I went in forwards and found that turning around was exceptionally easy because there is SOOOOO much room. (**I probably should say that I am a very experienced ECV rider**) On 2 trips (where there weren't large line ups for the bus) I asked if I could experiment with going up backwards. The first time was rather hysterically funny. I went up the ramp and found that I completely misjudged the turning radius and began to turn way too late. I pulled back out and after another 2 tries realized I had to start the turn immediately upon the back wheel clearing the pole outside the door. Looking over my shoulder to see where I was is challenging. The driver showed me where he was taught to start the turn and said it worked for him 80% of the time - with the other 20% having the back wheel hit the pole or it not turning enough without having to adjust forward and back again. The next backwards try was pretty on point - very slight pull forward - and then I was able to back into the spot.
My take on it was that if there are no ECVs onboard, there's no reason why we can't go in forward and turn around in the bus. From what every driver said, they are more than happy to take control of it for riders and have had lots of training in maneuvering. As I mentioned, there's room for up to 3 ECVs/wheelchairs on these busses. The new ones are toward the front of the bus, directly behind the driver. The 3rd is on far side of the level (on driver's side) with the regular hook set up. The area has fold down seats which with 1 ECV would yield about 28 seats (including upper area which had - I think- 19) Plus plenty of standing room. I would say that each ECV eliminates 4 seats - but the area actually only has 2 fold down seats and the other part of the space is just standing room - toward the driver end of the bus. Ok so once onboard the ECV must face backwards and be pulled close to the side of the bus. Once in the spot, the driver hits a button and activates the "arm" which comes down and then moves in to secure the wheel base of the ECV. It holds it in place by (for lack of better words) hugging the ECV tightly between the arm and the side of the bus. I was never asked to leave my ECV - and had the seatbelt secured onto me. On 1 of my 7 trips, the "arm" would not release me - when the driver pushed the activation button, it slid outward but then quickly moved back to secure the wheel instead of rising up. It was kind of funny - after 2 tries, it let me leave....
All in all I didn't find these new busses to be an issue - but there is definitely less space for seats. However, there's plenty of standing room.

Glad you were able to maneuver so well into the spots and had a lot of information that will be quite helpful for people. Unfortunately no one wants lots of standing room. If the bus has 3 ecv’s/wheelchairs and they all have families that will make almost everyone else have to stand on every ride. I saw a report from someone there on a Facebook group that said Disney has ordered 100 more of these busses. Looks like standing on all opening/closings/busy times is going to be what almost everyone has to do once they get the new batch into service. I’m sure they will be able to pack more people into each bus but standing on the bus is so hard as I can’t easily lift my hand up to hold on and my balance isn’t great. If I have my walker and there are 3 ecv’s I guess I will have to stand and hold it. May have to Uber to the parks from now on

Looking for actual experience…

Has anyone who has been on the new buses been required to back up their ECV on the ramp? If yes, did the bus driver assist?

Again, looking for feedback from someone who has actually done this on the new buses.. not the monorail which I’ve already done… extra points if it was the larger scooter!
All buses are requiring scooters to back up on the ramp. Powerchairs and manual wheelchairs can board normally.
First hand experience with new ECV WDW bus process. It seemed to me that these busses were pretty much random as far as destination goes. I was staying at Port Orleans- Riverside and there was no pattern as to what type of bus came for which park. Out of 20 bus rides (to/from PO-R) 7 were the new fitted busses. Of the 7, 5 were just me (1 ECV) and 1 was 2 ECV's (me and one in other new thingy) and the last was 3 ECVs - 2 in the "new" set up and the 3rd in an old style one. One driver told me that I could identify which busses were equipped with the new set up as they were part of the "5200" numbered series. Unfortunately it was toward the end of my stay - and of the 2 52## busses I had after learning that - 1 was the new set up and the other was not.
Interesting, I’ll look out for the 5200 buses this week then.
All in all I didn't find these new busses to be an issue - but there is definitely less space for seats. However, there's plenty of standing room.
That could be an issue for some people though, especially after a long day.

Wow! Thanks for posting with such detail… that’s very, very helpful! Interesting that they are opting to use forward drive up the ramp then turning in the bus… I can see that makes sense, though I’m guessing it depends on the driver.

BTW, I’m most often traveling solo so no extra seats needed! LOL
Getting on the bus was actually very very easy. For all of my 7 trips - I was the 1st ECV to board and on each of those trips I was given the choice by the driver to go up the ramp forward and turn around once I got in the bus (you MUST back into the designated space) or go up backwards. On 5 trips I went in forwards and found that turning around was exceptionally easy because there is SOOOOO much room. (**I probably should say that I am a very experienced ECV rider**) On 2 trips (where there weren't large line ups for the bus) I asked if I could experiment with going up backwards. The first time was rather hysterically funny. I went up the ramp and found that I completely misjudged the turning radius and began to turn way too late. I pulled back out and after another 2 tries realized I had to start the turn immediately upon the back wheel clearing the pole outside the door. Looking over my shoulder to see where I was is challenging. The driver showed me where he was taught to start the turn and said it worked for him 80% of the time - with the other 20% having the back wheel hit the pole or it not turning enough without having to adjust forward and back again. The next backwards try was pretty on point - very slight pull forward - and then I was able to back into the spot.
My take on it was that if there are no ECVs onboard, there's no reason why we can't go in forward and turn around in the bus. From what every driver said, they are more than happy to take control of it for riders and have had lots of training in maneuvering. As I mentioned, there's room for up to 3 ECVs/wheelchairs on these busses. The new ones are toward the front of the bus, directly behind the driver. The 3rd is on far side of the level (on driver's side) with the regular hook set up. The area has fold down seats which with 1 ECV would yield about 28 seats (including upper area which had - I think- 19) Plus plenty of standing room. I would say that each ECV eliminates 4 seats - but the area actually only has 2 fold down seats and the other part of the space is just standing room - toward the driver end of the bus. Ok so once onboard the ECV must face backwards and be pulled close to the side of the bus. Once in the spot, the driver hits a button and activates the "arm" which comes down and then moves in to secure the wheel base of the ECV. It holds it in place by (for lack of better words) hugging the ECV tightly between the arm and the side of the bus. I was never asked to leave my ECV - and had the seatbelt secured onto me. On 1 of my 7 trips, the "arm" would not release me - when the driver pushed the activation button, it slid outward but then quickly moved back to secure the wheel instead of rising up. It was kind of funny - after 2 tries, it let me leave....

All buses are requiring scooters to back up on the ramp. Powerchairs and manual wheelchairs can board normally.
Actually, based on @Goldelpack 's post this is not true. They were given a choice of driving on forward or backing onto the bus. See below:

I was given the choice by the driver to go up the ramp forward and turn around once I got in the bus (you MUST back into the designated space) or go up backwards

Thanks so much for your informative first-hand report. I feel so much better to know that we don't HAVE to go uo the ramp backwards. I did know that buses #5200+ were impacted-I was informed by a Disney bus driver. I just wonder now if many guests are grumbling about the decreased number of seats-"and it's all the fault of those D****** ECVs!"

Thanks so much for your informative first-hand report. I feel so much better to know that we don't HAVE to go uo the ramp backwards. I did know that buses #5200+ were impacted-I was informed by a Disney bus driver. I just wonder now if many guests are grumbling about the decreased number of seats-"and it's all the fault of those D****** ECVs!"

Hopefully not. I personally am frustrated that they made the busses like that. Is the back section up steps? Wondering when I need to use my walker if I will be able to get up seps with it. I had to stand with it once at Caribbean Beach and it was awful. The busses kept coming full and the driver of the bus I ended up getting on told me it was going to be like that for awhile. So I had to lift it up the step and stand in the front close to the driver and hold on to the walker and try to not fall. It was before a Halloween party. Not an experience I ever want again. Also we never stayed at that hotel again as that experience was really awful. This was before ride shares were popular or at least I didn’t know about them.

Hopefully not. I personally am frustrated that they made the busses like that. Is the back section up steps? Wondering when I need to use my walker if I will be able to get up seps with it. I had to stand with it once at Caribbean Beach and it was awful. The busses kept coming full and the driver of the bus I ended up getting on told me it was going to be like that for awhile. So I had to lift it up the step and stand in the front close to the driver and hold on to the walker and try to not fall. It was before a Halloween party. Not an experience I ever want again. Also we never stayed at that hotel again as that experience was really awful. This was before ride shares were popular or at least I didn’t know about them.
There are 19 permanent seats in the "upper" back section - which is about 2 steps up - maybe 3. Add that to the steps getting on to the bus... so my suggestion (for what it's worth) is to communicate your needs to the driver - they can communicate to "dispatch" and add an extra bus if needed. If you tell them you can't remain standing they can re-arrange the passengers also - I've seen people wait in the handicapped box simply because they needed extra assistance.
Back in the day (long long ago) in my 20's I had bravely gone to Pleasure Island and walked - and at that time I was trying hard to not use mobility aides.. and by the time I got on a bus I realized I'd have to stand. I'm barely 5 feet tall... and I couldn't reach the strap hangers to hold onto. Suffice it to say I reconsidered my physical abilities and from then on advocated for my own well-being.

As for the busses themselves - I did think it was a HUGE waste of space on the level where ECVs go - A driver told me the capacity for riders is the same - I don't know if that's the case. I also choose to either leave before the crowds - or way after - and I'm willing to pull over and drink some tea or coffee and wait for the next bus.

When I could still use a rollator at the parks and needed a seat on the bus due to my hand strength, I would wait at the wheelchair location to enter the bus from the back. One time I was in the regular line and told the bus driver I would wait for the next bus since there were no seats left. He said to wait a minute and found me a seat so I could get on. Most of the time though they would call for another bus which usually came pretty soon.

When I could still use a rollator at the parks and needed a seat on the bus due to my hand strength, I would wait at the wheelchair location to enter the bus from the back. One time I was in the regular line and told the bus driver I would wait for the next bus since there were no seats left. He said to wait a minute and found me a seat so I could get on. Most of the time though they would call for another bus which usually came pretty soon.

Yeah I always used the ramp to get into the bus until that trip and there was no room to go up the ramp and several full busses never even stopped. This driver at least stopped and said I was not going to get a seat any time soon. With the ramp they always load me after they load wheelchairs. If 3 chairs get on I definitely will have to carry the walker up stairs and that is very hard. I can climb the stairs but not with that. Hopefully it is awhile before I need to use it again. I will just have to hope I get something to hang on and don’t fall on the bus. I have a hard time standing on that part of RotR with good places to hang on. Anyway we will be at Disney and it will all work out (maybe via ride share but it will work)

Stayed at Coronado this week and have had 16 bus rides so far with 2 more tomorrow. Only 1 was the new type. I saw a wheelchair and an ecv in the boarding area from studios. I wasn’t paying attention to how the wheelchair boarded but it went first. Then there was some discussion between the bus driver and the ecv driver. The driver ended up pushing the empty scooter up the ramp and the person who had been on it walked up the ramp with a cane and sat on a bus seat. When I boarded the bus I noticed someone was holding the wheelchair up the steps in the first seat on the drivers side. No idea of he was the person using the wheelchair or someone with the wheelchair user as there were several people sitting on the lower level where only the ecv was parked. People could flip down one seat at a time in areas where there wasn’t an ecv.
Of interest they were using coach busses probably to help out with peak weeks. We were using what typically is the first bus stop going to parks at Coronado and a Hollywood studios bus had just left. Sign said another was coming in about 10 minutes but a coach bus immediately pulled up and driver said he was going to studios. It had stopped at the tower first - probably because there were too many people to fit on as it is the last stop before heading to parks. This bus does not accommodate wheelchair or ecv that I could see except possibly by putting them under the bus if the ecv breaks down. They download strollers down there. I hadn’t seen the rental busses in a long time. I will say they are so nice with everyone getting a seat. But not good for non-ambulatory people. I saw these busses at some of the parks too picking up for other hotels.

Stayed at Coronado this week and have had 16 bus rides so far with 2 more tomorrow. Only 1 was the new type. I saw a wheelchair and an ecv in the boarding area from studios. I wasn’t paying attention to how the wheelchair boarded but it went first. Then there was some discussion between the bus driver and the ecv driver. The driver ended up pushing the empty scooter up the ramp and the person who had been on it walked up the ramp with a cane and sat on a bus seat. When I boarded the bus I noticed someone was holding the wheelchair up the steps in the first seat on the drivers side. No idea of he was the person using the wheelchair or someone with the wheelchair user as there were several people sitting on the lower level where only the ecv was parked. People could flip down one seat at a time in areas where there wasn’t an ecv.
Of interest they were using coach busses probably to help out with peak weeks. We were using what typically is the first bus stop going to parks at Coronado and a Hollywood studios bus had just left. Sign said another was coming in about 10 minutes but a coach bus immediately pulled up and driver said he was going to studios. It had stopped at the tower first - probably because there were too many people to fit on as it is the last stop before heading to parks. This bus does not accommodate wheelchair or ecv that I could see except possibly by putting them under the bus if the ecv breaks down. They download strollers down there. I hadn’t seen the rental busses in a long time. I will say they are so nice with everyone getting a seat. But not good for non-ambulatory people. I saw these busses at some of the parks too picking up for other hotels.
When we stayed at Dolphin a few years ago, we got one of the coach buses and they had me get off my scooter and then the driver folded the seat back down and rolled it into the cargo hold... I'm lucky that I could walk with my cane to board - steps on those buses are pretty steep so it was a challenge.

When we got to the park, after everyone got off, (I let everyone else get off first since I knew those steps would really slow me down!), the bus driver unloaded all the strollers and finally my scooter. Took way more time to load that bus and unload people with mobility issues. If I had not been able to walk, I would not have been able to board. It's my understanding that they don't always use the coaches at Swolphin, and often use the buses like the Disney ones (not run by Disney).

But once was enough. That was the only time we took a Dolphin bus, and started going to Yacht Club to use Disney buses.

Last edited:
When we stayed at Dolphin a few years ago, we got one of the coach buses and they had me get off my scooter and then the driver folded the seat back down and rolled it into the cargo hold... I'm lucky that I could walk with my cane to board - steps on those buses are pretty steep so it was a challenge.

When we got to the park, after everyone got off, (I let everyone else get off first since I knew those steps would really slow me down!), the bus driver unloaded all the strollers and finally my scooter. Took way more time to load that bus and unload people with mobility issues. If I had not been able to walk, I would not have been able to board. It's my understanding that they don't always use the coaches at Swolphin, and often use the buses like the Disney ones (not run by Disney).

But once was enough. That was the only time we took a Dolphin bus, and started going to Yacht Club to use Disney buses.
I haven’t seen the coach busses in awhile. I was surprised to see them this week. I imagine it was temporary for the spring break surge. At least in the case of the one I rode it was an extra bus called for overflow crowd at Coronado that didn’t fit on the usual bus. But since I saw a number of them I don’t know if that is always the case.

Are their poles that children can hold on to , if they are not tall enough to reach the straps like the old buses.

Are their poles that children can hold on to , if they are not tall enough to reach the straps like the old buses.
Very few poles. There’s one back by the ramp exit door plus near the front of the bus close to the driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter