New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

Are their poles that children can hold on to , if they are not tall enough to reach the straps like the old buses.

I have to hold a pole when standing as I cannot hold on overhead. I did have a pole to hold in the back. I can’t remember how many but I was happy there were some. I only got one of this type of bus my whole trip but see more are coming.

Well, I found this video:
Nice video,only that is a city bus,not a Disney bus. True,the city driver doesn't need to leave their seat,the controls are on the dashboard. The Disney buses are configured entirely different. Quantum controls are behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead. The arm activation controls are behind thr backboard. Most users of public transportation that use mobility devices,use that device EVERY day,unlike 99% of Disney Guests that rent them. I fear this was not taken into consideration.

Well, I found this video:
Nice video,only that is a city bus,not a Disney bus. True,the city driver doesn't need to leave their seat,the controls are on the dashboard. The Disney buses are configured entirely different. Quantum controls are behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead. The arm activation controls are behind thr backboard. Most users of public transportation that use mobility devices,use that device EVERY day,unlike 99% of Disney Guests that rent them. I fear this was not taken into consideration

DH and I have maintained that they should have ramps in both locations and you come in the middle and out the front, turning wise this works well and makes loading and unloading easy.
The configuration of the load zones at both the parks and resorts dictates that the middle door must be used.
If scooters and wheelchairs boarded at the front, they would have to make a really sharp turn as soon as they got on in order to avoid hitting the driver area. That might be doable on SOME powerchairs, but for scooters it would be near impossible.

Heard this today directly from a Disney bus driver who participated in the training that bus drivers received for the new buses. According to him the buses will start rolling out into use in January 2024.

He says the new buses have pressurized "arms" that will hold ECVs in place instead of the hook and belt system on current buses. Due to this new system there is less space for each ECV, resulting in the following restrictions:
  • ECV's must back onto the bus
  • No rear baskets are permitted
  • No sun shades attached to the back
  • No heavy duty ECVs such as those with higher weight capacities (e.g., Pride Maxima)
The driver said they have been in touch with the ECV vendors so they can prepare. I'll check with my vendor tomorrow (I'm trying Gold Mobility for the first time this trip) to see what they say.

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, my days visiting WDW may be over since I must use a heavy duty ECV due to my weight, and it sounds like Disney has no way to accommodate us any longer. I will be contacting DVC member services once I know more from Gold Mobility. If I stop visiting WDW I'll be selling my DVC points as well.

Curious what anyone else has heard about the new buses coming soon?
I see a lot of discussion about larger ECVs and yet all I can think is this: I own my scooter, I have used it for 15 years. I'm an expert driver. And I would not be able to BACK UP A NARROW RAMP onto the bus. Certainly not on the first try, likely not the second either. That's absolutely insane to expect. Take the time everyone already has to wait while a totally inexperienced rental scooter is trying and badly failing to get into the bus and quadruple it. I can't even imagine.

Last edited:
I see a lot of discussion about larger ECVs and yet all I can think is this: I own my scooter, I have used it for 15 years. I'm an expert driver. And I would not be able to BACK UP A NARROW RAMP onto the bus. Certainly not on the first try, likely not the second either. That's absolutely insane to expect. Take the time everyone already has to wait while a totally inexperienced rental scooter is trying and badly failing to get into the bus and quadruple it. I can't even imagine.
The driver does it for you. I am here now, and while I haven't been in one yet, I've talked to the drivers of the buses I have been on and they all confirmed this.

One other note, the new system can not handle a standard push wheelchair as the arms that hold the chair in place would crush it. Not sure what these folks would have to do if they are unable to transfer to a regular bus seat.

I'll report more if I learn more, or get to have first hand experience.

One other note, the new system can not handle a standard push wheelchair as the arms that hold the chair in place would crush it. Not sure what these folks would have to do if they are unable to transfer to a regular bus seat.
I believe the new buses also have 1 “traditional” forward-facing tie-down spot.

The driver does it for you. I am here now, and while I haven't been in one yet, I've talked to the drivers of the buses I have been on and they all confirmed this.

My whole trip I only got on one of those busses and the one wheelchair I saw the man went up the steps to the back of the bus and sat with it folded. I’m positive that is not the norm. They had a scooter that the rider exited and the driver pushed up the ramp backward and into the parking spot behind his seat. She walked up the ramp which appeared challenging for her using her cane. I forget if she sat on the ECV or not now. I also didn’t look at the forward facing securement. I did notice the folded up seats in the front part of the bus flip down individually as a teen did it briefly on his way to the back.

Yes. There is 1 "traditional" spot and 2 "new" spots.

Just to alleviate any fears - if you are not comfortable or able to drive up backwards, the driver will absolutely do it for you without issue. As I posted - in every case where there were no ECVs already aboard, I was able to drive up the ramp (forward) and turn around inside the bus to park in the new space.

Nice video,only that is a city bus,not a Disney bus. True,the city driver doesn't need to leave their seat,the controls are on the dashboard. The Disney buses are configured entirely different. Quantum controls are behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead. The arm activation controls are behind thr backboard. Most users of public transportation that use mobility devices,use that device EVERY day,unlike 99% of Disney Guests that rent them. I fear this was not taken into consideration.
Thank you for this.
There was an older thread from before the buses began to be used where I had posted a similar link and mentioned the same info.
A couple of people who have ridden the new busses with an ECV reported it was actually much easier than they expected - especially driving off. Other people have posted the drivers were very helpful

Thanks for what you were able to report. The manual wheelchairs that fold side to side would/could have an issue with the arm pushing the wheelchair closed.
My daughter's manual wheelchair is a rigid frame, which doesn't close side to side. She won't be able to use those spots though because her seatback has a release bar on the back to fold it forward. If there was an accident when she was facing backwards, the bar would be pressed.
Her chair is crash tested for front facing, but the manual says it may not be ridden in a vehicle facing backwards
I believe the new buses also have 1 “traditional” forward-facing tie-down spot.
I haven't been on one yet, but everything I've seen says they will also have one "traditional" front facing spot

I won't allow drivers to move my scooter while I'm in it, as it isn't safe. I've had my foot crushed four separate times after repeatedly telling the driver to be careful and explaining exactly how to watch out for my foot. They don't care and don't listen, they're just going as fast as possible to load the scooter with zero caution. Two of those incidents required an ER visit and one broke several bones in my foot.

My family looked into a lawsuit but I decided against it because my insurance covered everything and I didn't want to sue the Disney company and probably be banned just to punish one negligent driver. It wasn’t malicious, it was an accident. But it was an accident caused by the driver physically grabbing my scooter while I yelled at him to stop, and moving it without my permission and without listening to a word I said. To me that's basically an assault. If it's not okay to grab my body and move me around, it's not okay to grab the scooter I'm sitting in and move me against my will.

So now, I do not permit drivers to move or steer my scooter with me in it for ANY reason. It's incredibly unsafe. After my prior experiences, now I will scream at top volume if anyone grabs the steering and tries to move me against my will. Bus drivers do this constantly when it's crowded and they want scooters loaded as fast as possible. They don't ask, they just grab. No more.

I will be traveling with a friend for most of the trip whom I do trust to steer the scooter for me. In the 3 days before he arrives, if I can't take a bus without being told that I have to allow another careless driver to crush my foot, then I'll just wait at the resort and not go out. It's not worth the risk. Disney bus drivers are just too careless and too hurried to trust with my physical safety. My foot still aches in bad weather and I'll have scars for the rest of my life because the drivers don't pay attention and don't listen. FOUR TIMES this happened and it was sheer luck my foot was only broken that last time, and merely crushed and mangled the first three times. There will not be another time.

Last edited:
I won't allow drivers to move my scooter while I'm in it, as it isn't safe. I've had my foot crushed four separate times after repeatedly telling the driver to be careful and explaining exactly how to watch out for my foot. They don't care and don't listen, they're just going as fast as possible to load the scooter with zero caution. Two of those incidents required an ER visit and one broke several bones in my foot.

My family looked into a lawsuit but I decided against it because my insurance covered everything and I didn't want to sue the Disney company and probably be banned just to punish one negligent driver. It wasn’t malicious, it was an accident. But it was an accident caused by the driver physically grabbing my scooter while I yelled at him to stop, and moving it without my permission and without listening to a word I said. To me that's basically an assault. If it's not okay to grab my body and move me around, it's not okay to grab the scooter I'm sitting in and move me against my will.

So now, I do not permit drivers to move or steer my scooter with me in it for ANY reason. It's incredibly unsafe. After my prior experiences, now I will scream at top volume if anyone grabs the steering and tries to move me against my will. Bus drivers do this constantly when it's crowded and they want scooters loaded as fast as possible. They don't ask, they just grab. No more.

I will be traveling with a friend for most of the trip whom I do trust to steer the scooter for me. In the 3 days before he arrives, if I can't take a bus without being told that I have to allow another careless driver to crush my foot, then I'll just wait at the resort and not go out. It's not worth the risk. Disney bus drivers are just too careless and too hurried to trust with my physical safety. My foot still aches in bad weather and I'll have scars for the rest of my life because the drivers don't pay attention and don't listen. FOUR TIMES this happened and it was sheer luck my foot was only broken that last time, and merely crushed and mangled the first three times. There will not be another time.
Just trying to clarify a few points -
1. Where was your foot located during these 4 separate times? I've been using scooters for several decades and have always insured both feet were on the deck of the ECV and not anywhere near a place that could crush it.
2. If you're able to protect your foot when you steer yourself, what is being done different when a driver attempts to assist you? I guess in terms of where your foot is?
3. You are saying that it is an assault - at what point was your actual physical body moved? It sounds that it was just your scooter - and since the driver of the bus is responsible for YOUR safety - it seems reasonable that they'd want your scooter positioned and secured properly. You're riding a DISNEY bus with DISNEY rules and procedures and practices. I would strongly suggest you hire your own transportation to avoid having to submit to their need to keep riders safe.
4. You shared that there were 4 instances of foot crushing - but then speak of one negligent driver. Was this the same driver all 4 times? And were they all different times?

Just trying to clarify a few points -
1. Where was your foot located during these 4 separate times? I've been using scooters for several decades and have always insured both feet were on the deck of the ECV and not anywhere near a place that could crush it.
2. If you're able to protect your foot when you steer yourself, what is being done different when a driver attempts to assist you? I guess in terms of where your foot is?
3. You are saying that it is an assault - at what point was your actual physical body moved? It sounds that it was just your scooter - and since the driver of the bus is responsible for YOUR safety - it seems reasonable that they'd want your scooter positioned and secured properly. You're riding a DISNEY bus with DISNEY rules and procedures and practices. I would strongly suggest you hire your own transportation to avoid having to submit to their need to keep riders safe.
4. You shared that there were 4 instances of foot crushing - but then speak of one negligent driver. Was this the same driver all 4 times? And were they all different times?
The problem is you're not trying to clarify, you're trying to poke holes in what I said -- and/or suggest that because I can park my own scooter correctly, but I'm not safe when a hurried driver forcibly grabs control of the scooter against my will and without giving me any time to react, that somehow means I shouldn't ride the bus. That's pretty absurd.

This was 4 drivers, 4 incidents across multiple years. And dozens of other incidents where the scooter was grabbed and moved quickly against my will with no time to react, but luckily nothing went wrong. More than that I don't really feel a reason to share in detail for people to pick apart and excuse the reckless behavior of the drivers.

I'm just fine parking my own scooter on my own, on the first attempt. I've owned it for well over a decade. The problem only happens when it's crowded so the driver is rushing, assumes it will be faster for them to just do it without allowing me to demonstrate, grabs control while I am verbally telling them NO, and then bashes my foot into the wall or the side of the ramp because they didn't listen to anything I said and didn't notice where my feet are or that I can't bend my knee properly or my ankle at all. I need a minute (well, maybe 15-20 seconds) to pull my foot into a safe position and they don't give me that before ramming the scooter forwards.

When I'm driving or someone I trust is steering while I control the "gas pedal", I know where my foot is at all times in relation to any objects and I can stop the instant ny foot touches something before it gets squished. I can also move it to a position where it's safely within the boundaries of the scooter, but it's painful and slow to make that movement, and I can't do it while the driver is already moving me. My first instinct is to yell NO WAIT and by the time I get a full sentence out, *crunch* too late. Drivers don't know where my foot is, don't look, and don't listen when I say "give me 5 seconds" or "please be careful of my foot" or even "NO STOP STOP STOP!!!!"

Am I overreacting by refusing to allow any driver to control my scooter? Sure, I likely am. Not all drivers are reckless speed demons trying to medal in scooter loading. I've met some sweet considerate drivers. And I'm sure rven the ones who caused the incidents would be friendly and helpful during situations that don't involve a line of people waiting for the bus. But they still aren't able to keep track of where my foot is the way I can. You'd overreact too after having your foot crushed four separate times.

In any case, this is my problem, no one else's. As I've already stated, I have no qualms letting my friend steer me backwards up the ramp if that's necessary. It's been mentioned in the thread that it is NOT necessary, and I should be able to go up forwards as usual and turn around inside the bus. That's fine, I'm an experienced driver with a smaller 3wheel scooter that can turn on a dime. And if a driver insists it must be backwards, I'm okay staying at the resort alone for a few days until my friend arrives.

Last edited:

You wouldn't get banned over filing the lawsuit, but you should write to Disney. A friend of ours was on the Tot Story bus at Disneyland and they didn't properly tie her scooter down, which she was still on, as she is unable to transfer. It tipped over and broke her femur bone, Disney stepped up and took responsibility (likely with Anaheim Resort Transit taking some blame as well on the back end since they operate the buses there) and took care of everything and settled with no issues. For her, it wasn't about punishing the driver, but ensuring that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Just back from a week stay with 1 veteran ECV user. We got one new bus, it was empty and he drove himself on forwards and the driver put him in the traditional tie down spot. Surprised me as I assumed the new machine spot would be the drivers preference for ease of use. No other ECVs or WCs were loaded.

In chatting with a transportation CM I learned the new buses are being delivered 2 at a time so this will continue to be a very slow but steady rollout. They also said the buses hold 3 ECVs now but they are harder to stand on since there is less to hold onto. I’m hoping that little side note means the drivers are being trained to maintain more awareness of that issue when driving the new buses. Time will tell.

Just back from a week stay with 1 veteran ECV user. We got one new bus, it was empty and he drove himself on forwards and the driver put him in the traditional tie down spot. Surprised me as I assumed the new machine spot would be the drivers preference for ease of use. No other ECVs or WCs were loaded.

In chatting with a transportation CM I learned the new buses are being delivered 2 at a time so this will continue to be a very slow but steady rollout. They also said the buses hold 3 ECVs now but they are harder to stand on since there is less to hold onto. I’m hoping that little side note means the drivers are being trained to maintain more awareness of that issue when driving the new buses. Time will tell.

Good to know that the roll out of the new buses is more a gradual phase-in than just dumping them all into the system, and allowing chaos to ensue 😂

Just speculation: I wonder if they used the "traditional" tie-down because that may impact fewer seats - leaving more seats for folks to sit in?

It is my understanding that each individual seat can be flipped up out of the way on the new buses (on the "main" level") instead of in blocks of 2 or 3 seats as on the "old style" buses. Given that there are fewer places for standing riders to hold on, it may be that they try to maximize/prioritize the seating when possible? Again, more speculation on my part. Eager to see and try one of these buses in person soon!

Good to know that the roll out of the new buses is more a gradual phase-in than just dumping them all into the system, and allowing chaos to ensue 😂
Heh, chaos…
Just speculation: I wonder if they used the "traditional" tie-down because that may impact fewer seats - leaving more seats for folks to sit in?
From what the drivers told me, folding portable scooters (like the Go-Gos) and FOLDING manual wheelchairs are not safe to use the new system since the arms put like 50 lbs of pressure on the sides of the device which can cause them to get crushed.

Heh, chaos…

From what the drivers told me, folding portable scooters (like the Go-Gos) and FOLDING manual wheelchairs are not safe to use the new system since the arms put like 50 lbs of pressure on the sides of the device which can cause them to get crushed.

It makes sense; when we first found out about the new system, my first thought was that portable folding manual chairs would just... fold under the pressure (OK, I'm due one. I almost never get punny here 😂 )

This is just one of those middle-of-the-night crazy ideas, but what if we slide 2 or 3 of those big ol' honkin' strollers all folded up into the Quantum Station, activate it, and then the Quantum holds the strollers, the stroller dads don't have to do that stroller dad dance by the back door, everyone's happier...? 🤔 Just a thought! 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter