New Boards questions- NOTE DATE CHANGE

Wondering if the change will affect the google ads I see. For the life of me, I can't figure out what I did to deserve the "fall in love with Russian beauties" ad I am getting.

Hmmm....my ads seem to correspond with things that I have researched or stores that I have window shopped at......just saying. :rolleyes1

See I'm the opposite. I have never found a mobile site that I like. Anytime something has a mobile site I switch to desktop version and both irritate me to use on my phone. I prefer apps, but maybe I'm in the minority with that thought.

I agree with you. Drives me crazy to have someone else deciding which features I want to see and use. I don't use my phone exclusively, in fact, I'd say it was more of a "I don't have access to my laptop so I have to settle for using my phone".....and I want to be able to use the website just like I use my laptop, only smaller, lol.

I tend to have more full website links than "apps"......and I dislike mobile apps enough that I'm willing to scroll/swipe back and forth on a real website rather than deal with the limits of the apps. If they can make it size down to my phone and eliminate the scrolling, I'd be overjoyed!

A big example for me is the MDE app....hate it, and it locks up half the time.....so I simply have a link to go to the 'real' MDE. Everything is there and in the places I normally use so I don't have to relearn it. I'm old. I need easy. :hippie:

I only use the app now because the boards are too difficult to navigate in a mobile browser. I'm looking forward to trying out the new setup!

I'm also thinking that an app is quite a ways off, if it ever happens at all. It was mentioned in a recent DIS Unplugged episode that the team didn't even have a hand in creating the current app (I'm thinking it was just a plug-and-play situation with the forum interface), which means they'd need to either bring people onboard solely for app development/management or outsource it to another company. Both options involve a lot of $$ over a long period of time. If the new responsive design works as it's intended, it wouldn't make sense for them to shell out the money for the design and maintenance of an app. DISboards by itself doesn't exist as a money-making operation as far as I'm aware. JMHO. :surfweb:

It's good to see people feel passionately about this!
Here's the deal
There will be no app when we roll this out TOMORROW (OMG I'm still in San Antonio, need to get to Boston and get ready for this!!!!)
We want to test out the responsive site, see what we can do with it, we have a LOT of things we can do so just because someone else has this software isn't that meaningful.
If that's all done and people have legitimate issues wtih it then we will certainly talk about an App.

Looking forward to the new boards! :cool1:

My only suggestion would be that you REALLY should avoid Boston right now. ;)

People actually happen to love using websites on their mobile devices if they render properly. And I always turn notifications off, because I can check the website just as easily as having my phone beep at me constantly.

I prefer using native websites on my tablet rather than apps for many things. Facebook is a good example. I even sometimes prefer the desktop version rather than the mobile version of the website.

I agree with you. Drives me crazy to have someone else deciding which features I want to see and use. I don't use my phone exclusively, in fact, I'd say it was more of a "I don't have access to my laptop so I have to settle for using my phone".....and I want to be able to use the website just like I use my laptop, only smaller, lol.

I tend to have more full website links than "apps"......and I dislike mobile apps enough that I'm willing to scroll/swipe back and forth on a real website rather than deal with the limits of the apps. If they can make it size down to my phone and eliminate the scrolling, I'd be overjoyed!

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one to feel this way! I got Tapatalk a long while back for some of the other forums I read and think I only used it once! I prefer to just go to the regular site.

My devices have limited space-- I prefer to use the "app" space for things that you truly have to have an app for (games!), not for things I can do just as easily on a website.

Will "search" be any easier to use? I rarely use it now because it usually doesn't show the results I'm looking for and I'm too lazy to read how to properly search for what I'm looking for. Will it be more like a Google search?

I am a member of another board that uses this software and we have the ability to request a change to our username. Will we have that option on this now too (within reason) after the conversion?

Yup me too! So I am very familiar with this software already. I love it! And I just changed my username over there, I like that we have the chance to do that. I got tired of mine after 8 years.

Will "search" be any easier to use? I rarely use it now because it usually doesn't show the results I'm looking for and I'm too lazy to read how to properly search for what I'm looking for. Will it be more like a Google search?
+1 .... can't search for acronyms (e.g. AP, MM, PVB, etc.). Makes searching Disney threads a bit challenging :)

Thank you to everybody involved for all your hard work on this, and to make it better for all of us users. Sounds like it's going to be awesome!

+1 .... can't search for acronyms (e.g. AP, MM, PVB, etc.). Makes searching Disney threads a bit challenging :)

The problem with allowing a search system to index 2-letter and 3-letter words (i.e. most of the common Disney acronyms) is that the index gets more and more unwieldy and filled up with common terms, which can make it a lot slower and less efficient.

But I agree that being able to search for such common Disney terms would be very useful to the users if it can be done without too much system overhead.

Andre

The problem with allowing a search system to index 2-letter and 3-letter words (i.e. most of the common Disney acronyms) is that the index gets more and more unwieldy and filled up with common terms, which can make it a lot slower and less efficient.

But I agree that being able to search for such common Disney terms would be very useful to the users if it can be done without too much system overhead.

Andre

Just FYI you can use Google to search some of those terms by typing
site: www.disboards.com XYZ
put in the search term in place of the XYZ ie site: www.disboards.com AOA

You can use the Search Tools options at the top of the Google results list to further refine your search. I use it to narrow down the dates so I get more current results.

We don't have the new software's search system running on the test site so I really have no answer to that.
As for changing the user name I didn't realize that was an option, we will have to discuss that.
Please keep in mind that step one is to make sure everything works properly then we will look at adding features etc.

Looking forward to the new boards and being mobile compatible.

Just to have a little fun with the move. Will there be a special avatar that will honor the last poster of the old boards like what is done with the thread of the month winners :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Looking forward to the new boards and being mobile compatible.

Just to have a little fun with the move. Will there be a special avatar that will honor the last poster of the old boards like what is done with the thread of the month winners :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hey, Hey,....can that be me???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter