New BCV direct pricing - any way it makes sense to still buy?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
So I just got off the phone with my guide to check on my BCV waitlist. Supposedly there is one person in front of me to buy, so I won't be getting my points before tomorrow's price increase. I was only trying to add on 35 points to give me another 1-2 nights in a Studio, plus to hopefully use for a Sep trip. With the huge price increase to $225, and the increased points costs of studios, is there any way that it makes sense to stay on the waitlist? That's an increase of $1400 over what I was planning to spend. It just doesn't seem worth it, but... I've been waiting for several months and seems like I'm giving up something if I don't just do it. I thought about adding on about 18 months ago and didn't pull the trigger, if I had I would have been much better off. Thoughts?

So I just got off the phone with my guide to check on my BCV waitlist. Supposedly there is one person in front of me to buy, so I won't be getting my points before tomorrow's price increase. I was only trying to add on 35 points to give me another 1-2 nights in a Studio, plus to hopefully use for a Sep trip. With the huge price increase to $225, and the increased points costs of studios, is there any way that it makes sense to stay on the waitlist? That's an increase of $1400 over what I was planning to spend. It just doesn't seem worth it, but... I've been waiting for several months and seems like I'm giving up something if I don't just do it. I thought about adding on about 18 months ago and didn't pull the trigger, if I had I would have been much better off. Thoughts?

I read soemwhere that if you commit to buy and make a deposit (I think $500?), you can still get the old pricing for a period of time. I'd call back and ask about that (ASAP!)

I read soemwhere that if you commit to buy and make a deposit (I think $500?), you can still get the old pricing for a period of time. I'd call back and ask about that (ASAP!)

They haven't done that in several years and shouldn't be able to take a deposit on something they don't have to sell. If they are taking a deposit then it means the points are there and they just have to get the paperwork done up etc.

I'd still call. There's a ton of super secret policies and exceptions that you only find about by asking....and often it takes asking multiple times. I got them to issue me platinum plus AP vouchers at the gold price just prior to that promo expiring, which was 8 months before my renewal date, simply by asking.

I'm right there with you. I wanted BLT - small contract to add nights. I was even thinking this morning of calling to ask about other use years, but I'm pretty sure there's really nothing available anywhere. Except CCV and maybe some UY at AKV.

I'm right there with you. I wanted BLT - small contract to add nights. I was even thinking this morning of calling to ask about other use years, but I'm pretty sure there's really nothing available anywhere. Except CCV and maybe some UY at AKV.
I'd still just call (a couple of times) and simply say something like "I know the price is going up significantly tomorrow. Is there any way I can buy at the current price today?" The worst they can say is "no".

1400 dollars difference in the grand scheme of your Disney trips for the next 23 years? IMO not that big of a deal.

Not directed at you, but in general I feel too many people focus on the acquisition cost of DVC points, while thinking nothing about (or at least not fully considering) the maintenance fees and overall costs to visit WDW in general. Flights, Food, Park Tickets, Dues, spending money, and everything else that goes with a WDW trip. We spend almost 4K each trip just on tickets and airfare for perspective.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't see the responses until after work so too late to call to see about a deposit. Although when I spoke with my guide he definitely didn't mention that as an option. I'm still leaning towards not going with the add on because my back of the napkin math so far makes it not seem worth it, although I admit I need to dig in deeper and do some calculations. With the small addon that I was requesting, for 35 points I felt pretty comfortable that I could get 2 nights in a studio at most times of the year. With the 2020 point increases on studios, with rumors that they're going to keep increasing, it just feels like it's not worth it. Also with the shorter remaining time compared to BLT/other newer resorts. I'm leaning towards seeing how the resale market goes and maybe trying to grab a small contract at BLT. I currently only have 91 points at BCV (which I know is very small potatoes next to most owners) and have been able to stretch those to mostly meet our needs, with doing cash nights here and there so I'm not opposed to that either. Anyways thanks again!

1400 dollars difference in the grand scheme of your Disney trips for the next 23 years? IMO not that big of a deal.

Not directed at you, but in general I feel too many people focus on the acquisition cost of DVC points, while thinking nothing about (or at least not fully considering) the maintenance fees and overall costs to visit WDW in general. Flights, Food, Park Tickets, Dues, spending money, and everything else that goes with a WDW trip. We spend almost 4K each trip just on tickets and airfare for perspective.

I am on the opposite side of this one, and that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider those other things you mention, but acquisition costs are relative. If you take the mindset of "oh well, what's another $1,400 in the grand scheme of things", well that's not fiscally responsible. I have been crunching numbers the last few days on resales, and if you think the $40/point increase in acquisition costs is not something that should be worried about, I disagree. The other stuff you mention you have no control of, and it will go up, so you need to be mindful and mitigate your acquisition costs.

You are up selling yourself.

At $225/point the acquisition cost is around $10/point. With maintenance fees that is around $17/point at current levels. That is about what it costs to rent points right now.

Now Beach Club is in high demand and you definitely pay a premium. I imagine that is only be more so the case with the addition of Star Wars. but if Beach Club is that much the draw then how could you reconcile paying $11k more compared to resale on a 150 point contract. If you pay that premium, I certainly hope you plan to use it at Beach Club, which pretty much eliminates any concerns of resale vs. direct.

Exactly what part of a vacation to Walt Disney World is fiscally responsible? It's a 100% pure luxury expenditure. None of this "makes financial sense". We spend our money to have a good time at a place we enjoy being at.

We're also not talking about a large contract here. 35 point contracts in a matching use year don't pop up very often, and when they do, they command a high price. Would I advocate buying 200 points direct, no, probably not. 35 points direct though, I will stand by my opinion on that one.

Something else to think about, we're not normal DVC owners. Folks here are way more educated about pricing, how the system works, etc than a normal buyer. We can all poo-poo the decision to increase prices this much, but ultimately the market will bear them. There are people out there that will pay it, and Disney will gladly take their money.

The thing is I like BCV and enjoy staying there, especially during F&W, but I also really enjoy the MK resorts since it's our favorite park. But having a small addon I think it would help to stretch them out having the same resort/UY. I go back and forth and usually end up with the same conclusion - I need to win the lottery :rotfl:

Exactly what part of a vacation to Walt Disney World is fiscally responsible? It's a 100% pure luxury expenditure. None of this "makes financial sense". We spend our money to have a good time at a place we enjoy being at.

We're also not talking about a large contract here. 35 point contracts in a matching use year don't pop up very often, and when they do, they command a high price. Would I advocate buying 200 points direct, no, probably not. 35 points direct though, I will stand by my opinion on that one.

Something else to think about, we're not normal DVC owners. Folks here are way more educated about pricing, how the system works, etc than a normal buyer. We can all poo-poo the decision to increase prices this much, but ultimately the market will bear them. There are people out there that will pay it, and Disney will gladly take their money.

Admittedly missed the detail of the 35 point contract (amazing that it's a $1,400 difference on that small of a contract, ouch). That being said, the mindset that you perpetuate is part of the reason that Disney can continue to raise the prices. If us "educated" customers are willing to say what's another $1,400; then what are the impulse buyers willing to do. As someone that has given a lot of the money to the Mouse, it's scary that there seems to be no end to people's willingness to grin and bear it.

$225/point is not good. Maybe a 10 point contract (to cover the studio increases).

for 35 points I felt pretty comfortable that I could get 2 nights in a studio at most times of the year.
I am sure the smaller resale BC contracts are hard to come by - but for the money that you were going to pay direct - why not look at resale? Sounds like you might have better luck there and you won't spend as much money. If you are really stuck on only buying 35 points and for only a specific UY then you either suck it up and pay the extra $1400 buy when it becomes available or you just pay out of pocket for a room to extend your stays. I guess when you compare costs - direct room from disney or the extra $1400 -- in the long run it makes sense to just wait and add on.

I guess in the mean time look to get a points transfer -- there usually are a number of points available on the rent/transfer forum.

They have some people backed into a corner when it comes to adding on right now. I wonder if they are dragging their feet filling any addon requests knowing that they can charge more in a few days-- so they are telling everyone they are "next on the list".

I am sure the smaller resale BC contracts are hard to come by - but for the money that you were going to pay direct - why not look at resale? Sounds like you might have better luck there and you won't spend as much money. If you are really stuck on only buying 35 points and for only a specific UY then you either suck it up and pay the extra $1400 buy when it becomes available or you just pay out of pocket for a room to extend your stays. I guess when you compare costs - direct room from disney or the extra $1400 -- in the long run it makes sense to just wait and add on.

I guess in the mean time look to get a points transfer -- there usually are a number of points available on the rent/transfer forum.

They have some people backed into a corner when it comes to adding on right now. I wonder if they are dragging their feet filling any addon requests knowing that they can charge more in a few days-- so they are telling everyone they are "next on the list".

Yep! Jump on a 50 point contract for the same price - maybe less - and cover against the future increases that are probably coming.

Yep, been checking for a good resale contract, almost jumped on a small contracts on Sat morning but I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing there was still a small change my direct purchase would come through. It will be interesting to see how prices react after the rule changes.

My VGF waitlist came thru last week - so - no - at least with my guide - they aren’t playing that game...

IMO if all is needed is 35 points and the smaller contracts being to difficult to come by I would just try and get the 35 points direct. As the price for using those points are approx $10 + mf per points you better make sure that the points are not being used for sleeping around.

Another way to go forward would be, just to borrow points from next year and some point would need to skip a year as you wont have enough points, but that might be okay?

IMO if all is needed is 35 points and the smaller contracts being to difficult to come by I would just try and get the 35 points direct. As the price for using those points are approx $10 + mf per points you better make sure that the points are not being used for sleeping around.

Another way to go forward would be, just to borrow points from next year and some point would need to skip a year as you wont have enough points, but that might be okay?

Well unfortunately I'm already in the borrowing mode. Just wanted to supplement what I have to help alleviate some of the borrowing, while paying cash with what I can afford/am comfortable with spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter