New Attractions opening have standby lines available?

poochie

I really need some Disney Magic !!
I am curious, seems there are few new attractions opening soon. Will there be standby lines available, or will they only be open for ILL or LL? Or only if you are willing to pay extra above your park tickets will you be able to do this attraction. :sad1:

Remy and ROTR were virtual queue for a long time. I think we should expect that as they work out operations. Charging $15 (or waiting two hours) for a ride that is broken again is not a great look.

I suspect that when the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster opens in Epcot, it will initially be VQ and ILL only.
Agreed. Seems like that might be the approach with new big-ticket attractions moving forward. As an aside, I'll be interested to see how they handle ILL - do they keep it to 2 per park (and I know it's temporarily 1 per park through summer), or do they exceed that threshold and move EP and MK to 3 ILL when GotG and Tron open? I sure hope they don't expand the ILL list - it makes Genie+ that much less valuable....

I think Disney wants to move away from long snaking lines well outside of the queue space.

The last one that comes to mind was the super-line that was formed to get a limited time popcorn bucket. The line snaked though half of Future World. The next time the popcorn bucket was offered, it was via a Virtual Queue.

If they are making Virtual Queues for popcorn buckets, we can safely say that new rides will be ILL and VQ for a while...

Agreed. Seems like that might be the approach with new big-ticket attractions moving forward. As an aside, I'll be interested to see how they handle ILL - do they keep it to 2 per park (and I know it's temporarily 1 per park through summer), or do they exceed that threshold and move EP and MK to 3 ILL when GotG and Tron open? I sure hope they don't expand the ILL list - it makes Genie+ that much less valuable....

I feel like if anything they might bump Frozen to Genie+ permanently (like they are doing for high crowds) and maybe keep Space Mountain on Genie+ permanently as well.

I feel like if anything they might bump Frozen to Genie+ permanently (like they are doing for high crowds) and maybe keep Space Mountain on Genie+ permanently as well.
That's what I'm thinking/hoping, too. We never really understood SM being on the ILL list, but it's been awhile since they've opened a big-ticket attraction at MK - like Tron. SM was probably the second most popular - but still seemed to be the one ILL that had availability most of the day.

Actually, I wish they'd go to one per park max, but that's not happening for the long-term.

I wonder what will happen if Guardians opens this summer - will they keep only 1 ILL at Epcot and push Remy back to G+ temporarily?

I also think this is what they will do. The ILL$'s at Epcot will be Guardians and Remy (although should probably be Test Track) and at MK will be 7DMT and Tron.

I wonder what will happen if Guardians opens this summer - will they keep only 1 ILL at Epcot and push Remy back to G+ temporarily?
I think Remy is too popular right now. I think it's more likely they'll move to both Remy and GotG as ILL after it opens, and then just leave Frozen on the G+ list moving forward. But just a guess like all the others here!

I think the bigger question is what will they price GOTG at. It'll sell out no matter what they do so how big can / will they go?

It was notable that Disney eliminated all VQs soon after the Genie/Genie+/paid ILL systems were introduced. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are reluctant to go back to adding VQs as yet another ride access system, adding to the confusion for casual and inexperienced guests, and messing with people’s scheduling and ADRs by locking them into a random ride time. The Disney bean-counters would obviously love for brand new rides to be paid-ILL only; this, however, would probably cause a bit of a backlash but I wouldn’t be shocked to see a new super-headliner ride to be initially paid ILL-Genie+ only.

I think Disney wants to move away from long snaking lines well outside of the queue space.

I actually think the opposite. My my Feb. trip it seemed like Disney is dragging out the queue to make the lines look longer than they actually are in hopes to get more guests to purchase Genei+.

The Disney bean-counters would obviously love for brand new rides to be paid-ILL only; this, however, would probably cause a bit of a backlash but I wouldn’t be shocked to see a new super-headliner ride to be initially paid ILL-Genie+ only.

Early Remy and ROTR were constantly down. They need the virtual queue to work through the issues, at least for a while. Virtual queue may or may not work, as opposed to a paid slot.

It was notable that Disney eliminated all VQs soon after the Genie/Genie+/paid ILL systems were introduced. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are reluctant to go back to adding VQs as yet another ride access system, adding to the confusion for casual and inexperienced guests, and messing with people’s scheduling and ADRs by locking them into a random ride time. The Disney bean-counters would obviously love for brand new rides to be paid-ILL only; this, however, would probably cause a bit of a backlash but I wouldn’t be shocked to see a new super-headliner ride to be initially paid ILL-Genie+ only.
They dropped the VQ for Rise in September, about a month before LL started. But I do think Disney wants to move away from VQ as much as they can.

I don’t think there is any way they open Tron or Guardians without VQ, at least for a short time.

Yes, the Defunctland FP+ history video speculates one of the reasons for G+ was to establish a clear ROI for all the tech work Disney did laying the ride scan and FP+ foundation and I think they're probably right. Same logic would apply to making a new headliner $ILL only.

I think the bigger question is what will they price GOTG at. It'll sell out no matter what they do so how big can / will they go?

They're not going to sell it out for $$$ until it's working. That's what the virtual queue is for. For months, even getting a ROTR VQ spot didn't mean much, because it was always down.

They're not going to sell it out for $$$ until it's working. That's what the virtual queue is for. For months, even getting a ROTR VQ spot didn't mean much, because it was always down.
Disagree, but just my opinion. I expect the attraction will open with VQ, which is basically crowd control for the standby line. It will also open with ILL, and will be at least as expensive at Rise. If something breaks down, like it did/does at times with the other ILLs, they'll adjust times or refund money. Once the initial hype of GotG slows down a bit (which could be months or years), they'll probably move it to a standard stand-by line. The thing VQ does is keep the line to a more manageable stand-by wait times instead of 3-4-5 hours of queue waiting outside the attraction in a stand-by-only line. But VQ and ILL in combination means no walk-up guests, which eventually becomes a real negative with guests.

Why can't they get the rides reasonably functional before opening them? This was an issue with Hagrid's too. But Velocicoaster seems to have pretty limited down time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter