• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help deciding on summer Caribbean cruise

shosh1530

DIS Veteran
Hello! We have a place holder booked from our first cruise last summer and now I'm torn on which cruise we should book this summer. I believe we have it narrowed down to the Caribbean sometime in June:
  • 5-night Western Caribbean on the Magic (June 1-6)
  • 7-night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy (June 1-8)
  • 7-night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy (June 15-22)
The first option (Magic) would save us some money, but we've heard a lot of good things about the 7-night Fantasy cruises so I'm leaning to one of those.

My husband and son thinking Western sounds more fun. They are interested in things like zip lining, snorkeling (first timers), beach play, sting ray city, etc. Husband is also interested in Mexican ruins, but it doesn't seem like much is offered in that regard? (an option in Cozumel that I haven't read the best reviews on).

I love beautiful beaches, nature hikes, wildlife, tide pooling, kayaking, and feeling away from the crowds when possible. The Eastern route just looks much more scenic from the pictures I've seen. One thing I would love to do is snorkel where there is a chance of seeing sea turtles. Is that more likely on either route? I do see mention of an excursion for Tortola that has snorkeling with sea turtles.

Would there be any big differences in weather/crowds between early June and mid-June? Or in temperatures between the Eastern and Western routes?

Also do any beaches on either route have bigger waves to do boogie boarding/body surfing? That is my son's favorite thing, but it looks like most places don't really have much wave action.

Appreciate any insights!

Rule of thumb is the longer the cruise, the better :)

We personally prefer the Eastern Caribbean over the Western, but both will be fine. As to the ships, either ship will be amazing. The Fantasy is bigger and has the AquaDuck. The Magic is smaller and more intimate, but still has lots to do and is easier to Navigate. Crowd level is MUCH less on Castaway when on the Magic compared to the Fantasy, but even with the Fantasy, Castaway is designed to handle the crowds.

7-night on the Fantasy, no question. I'll always go for a longer cruise, and the Fantasy is my favorite ship. I've done the Eastern Caribbean a few times and love it-Tortola is my favorite Caribbean port. I've not done the Western, but heard that the Western is more 'active' and the Eastern is more 'relaxing.' The Western also has one more port day, so you only get two sea days (whereas Eastern is 3 sea days/3 port days, a balance I like). But you really can't go wrong. I don't think you'll have a big difference in temps or crowds between the two.

100% do a 7 night on the Fantasy. I don't think you can go wrong with either itinerary. We love both Western and Eastern but are a little partial to Eastern. We like the beautiful ports and extra sea day. But we loved the Western, too. Fantasy is our favorite ship.

I don't go swimming in ports (except Castaway Cay), so I can't tell which ports would appeal most to your family. My favorite Caribbean ports were Key West, which DCL doesn't visit anymore, and San Juan, Puerto Rico, which isn't a port stop this year. Cozumel does have Mayan ruins nearby, but I didn't see them because my daughter was too young to enjoy them at the time we visited.

As far as crowds, the Magic will be much less crowded than the Fantasy, which will be most noticeable at Castaway Cay.
Because some schools don't get out for the summer until mid-June, the June 1 sailings will probaby have fewer kids than the June 15 sailing.

The weather may be slightly warmer on the June 15 cruise. I don't think there's a significant difference between the temperature on the Eastern and Western cruises.

I agree with other posters that the 7-night cruise would be better. Not only is it longer, but the Fantasy has more to do (such as mini-golf, sports simulator, and Midship Detective Agency) than the Magic. You certainly wouldn't go wrong on the Magic either, so it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend.

Eastern Caribbean : you get two good ports that provide great beaches and okay snorkeling + lovely Castaway Cay.

For snorkeling in St Thomas, I would recommend a boat excursion. I personally do the excursion to Trunk Bay on St John for the calm, warmer water, but there is a lack of fish there. I think getting away from the shore gives you the chance to snorkel where the coral is still alive, so more fish. Sapphire Bay on St Thomas had schools of fish - it still has its coral reef. And is an easy taxi ride away from port.

I‘d say the same thing for snorkeling most places: Open water. But that does require some good swimming stamina.

I like the Magic better than the Fantasy, but 5 nights with just a stop at CC and Cozumel would not appeal to me. We did the 7-night Easter on the Fantasy and missed CC due to engine problems. So only 2 ports in 7 days. It reinforced that I am not a big Sea Day fan.

I also am not prepared to get out of the controlled port area in Jamaica. Safety. So I wouldn’t be recommending that cruise.

These are some of the most popular cruises on any cruise line. You can have a great experience wherever you go.

100% do a 7 night on the Fantasy. I don't think you can go wrong with either itinerary. We love both Western and Eastern but are a little partial to Eastern. We like the beautiful ports and extra sea day. But we loved the Western, too. Fantasy is our favorite ship.
If I'd have gotten here first, I would have written the same exact thing! After just commenting on your Wish review, I have a feeling we're certainly on the same wavelength! :)

One thing that I noticed is that on 7 night eastern Caribbean cruises, the last day at Castaway Cay is shorter as the time to go ashore was 10:30 am on the sailings I looked at. On the western cruises, the go ashore time was 8:30 am. Of course, if the boat makes good time sailing from the Virgin Islands, it could arrive earlier in the morning and allow passengers off earlier. (The opposite could also be true...)

7 night-eastern. Beautiful beaches and relaxing. Go to Jost Van Dyke (beach day) and Magens Bay (beach with great bar and beach pizza) - both dcl excursions. Bring your own snorkel- I got a prescription one so I could see! but you can get some really decent ones on Amazon. I hit the turtle jackpot at both places! The kayaking excursion on Castaway is fun.

GOPR0069.jpg

Last edited:
Would agree about 7 night over 5 night. If it's within your budget to do a longer cruise, I think you go for it.

As for itineraries, Western Caribbean feels like an Evergreen itinerary. Love Grand Cayman (and wish we could've gone to port there on my last cruise) but Cozumel and Falmouth are what they are, and you can pretty much take any Western Caribbean cruise with any cruise line and hit those ports. btw, the far side of Cozumel has surfboarding-sized waves, but that might be a bit much for bodyboarding.

And while St. Thomas is popular, Tortola is a location less traveled and I always think that it's worth visiting those spots if the opportunity presents. So I would say to take the Eastern Caribbean.

One thing that I noticed is that on 7 night eastern Caribbean cruises, the last day at Castaway Cay is shorter as the time to go ashore was 10:30 am on the sailings I looked at. On the western cruises, the go ashore time was 8:30 am. Of course, if the boat makes good time sailing from the Virgin Islands, it could arrive earlier in the morning and allow passengers off earlier. (The opposite could also be true...)
That is a downside to the Eastern itinerary; it is a pretty short day at CC. I've done a few Eastern itineraries, and we've never docked at CC early. If anything, we've been a little late-though not sure if that's because we were actually behind in getting to the island, or it took longer than anticipated to dock.

Last edited:
I would do the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean. I love both of those ships but the Fantasy is my favorite and a longer cruise is always better. We really enjoyed roaming around Tortola. As a plus you might get a small break in the crowds as not all schools in the US are out by June 1. We did that exact itinerary in May/June 2022 and it was wonderful.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts everyone. Definitely leaning to a 7-night on the Fantasy! It sounds like either itinerary has some great offerings, which is why I'm having so much trouble deciding.

For those of you who have done Eastern (particularly in June) how choppy were the seas? DH is concerned that it might be much rougher given more open ocean. We've only cruised once, but had some big waves in Alaska one of our sea days that were not fun at all.

We cruised in May. The two times we have done an eastern- once we had some pretty rough waters and this last time, not so much. When you cross the gulf stream early in the cruise and on the way back, you never know. Once you are in amongst the islands, things tend to be much calmer. But your mileage may vary- LOL

We cruised in May. The two times we have done an eastern- once we had some pretty rough waters and this last time, not so much. When you cross the gulf stream early in the cruise and on the way back, you never know. Once you are in amongst the islands, things tend to be much calmer. But your mileage may vary- LOL
I second this. I've had times where sailing was smooth, and other times it was rough. It depends on what storms systems are around as well as time of year. Sailing in June you're technically in hurricane season, so there could be storms. But that could happen on either route (and if there are storms, DCL will of course go around them).

The first night is usually the worst, as PP said that's when you cross the gulf stream. But you'll have that on either itinerary as well. I'd say pick the itinerary you want and don't let the condition of the ocean be a factor, because there's so many things that can affect that and there's no way to know this far out how they'll be. Book a stateroom on a lower deck midship and that will help mitigate any issues with rough waters.

Thanks everyone for your input. It has all been very helpful!

I booked the Western Caribbean Fantasy yesterday. And then my doubt continued to churn, making me realize that my heart really wanted the Eastern. I also had a long chat with coworker that has done both routes on a different line but who has been many of the same ports. That helped me seal the deal for Eastern and swayed my family to get on board.

So here I am on hold moving my sail date/itinerary to Eastern. Feeling excited!

And... booked!

I'm already feeling the doubt fading and it is being replaced with excitement. So I think I made the right call!

Now I can just agonize for the next week (PIF is 2/2) about whether I want to change staterooms. Several ones that I had been looking at disappeared even since yesterday (I expect some of them are being made guaranteed rooms). But I was able to get a 7A verandah on deck 8 (saving about $600 over the room I booked on the Western). I'm a bit bummed it is port side and not starboard, but I suppose that it isn't a deal breaker.

And... booked!

I'm already feeling the doubt fading and it is being replaced with excitement. So I think I made the right call!

Now I can just agonize for the next week (PIF is 2/2) about whether I want to change staterooms. Several ones that I had been looking at disappeared even since yesterday (I expect some of them are being made guaranteed rooms). But I was able to get a 7A verandah on deck 8 (saving about $600 over the room I booked on the Western). I'm a bit bummed it is port side and not starboard, but I suppose that it isn't a deal breaker.
You already booked but I would vote Fantasy Eastern too 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter