Need help deciding on summer Caribbean cruise

And... booked!

I'm already feeling the doubt fading and it is being replaced with excitement. So I think I made the right call!

Now I can just agonize for the next week (PIF is 2/2) about whether I want to change staterooms. Several ones that I had been looking at disappeared even since yesterday (I expect some of them are being made guaranteed rooms). But I was able to get a 7A verandah on deck 8 (saving about $600 over the room I booked on the Western). I'm a bit bummed it is port side and not starboard, but I suppose that it isn't a deal breaker.
FWIW, we've always sailed port side on that itinerary and enjoyed it. Depending on how you pull into Tortola and St. Thomas you can get some pretty good views. And no, you don't get the island view of Castaway Cay, but if you're forward enough on the port side you do get to see the docking/mooring process they do, which I think is super cool.

Last edited:
FWIW, we've always sailed port side on that itinerary and enjoyed it. Depending on how you pull into Tortola and St. Thomas you can get some pretty good view. And no, you don't get the island view of Castaway Cay, but if you're forward enough on the port side you do get to see the docking/mooring process they do, which I think is super cool.
This makes me feel better about being port side. Thanks!!

FWIW, we've always sailed port side on that itinerary and enjoyed it. Depending on how you pull into Tortola and St. Thomas you can get some pretty good views. And no, you don't get the island view of Castaway Cay, but if you're forward enough on the port side you do get to see the docking/mooring process they do, which I think is super cool.
And wave goodbye to the cast members on pier!

That is a downside to the Eastern itinerary; it is a pretty short day at CC. I've done a few Eastern itineraries, and we've never docked at CC early. If anything, we've been a little late-though not sure if that's because we were actually behind in getting to the island, or it took longer than anticipated to dock.
Is this a new thing? We have done 2 7-nt Easterns and never docked at 10:30. That is terrible! Both times we were there early but the last one we did was in 2016.

Is this a new thing? We have done 2 7-nt Easterns and never docked at 10:30. That is terrible! Both times we were there early but the last one we did was in 2016.
I think that (10:30) was our itinerary in September. It was a moot point, as the engines were having problems and we missed visiting the island. We were compensated.

No idea if it is a more recent change, but our Castaway Cay day on the Eastern Caribbean cruise is currently posted at 10 am - 4:45 pm.

I did an Eastern in June 2022 and we didn’t get off the ship until noon. They said it was due to winds between St Thomas and CC.

I did an Eastern in June 2022 and we didn’t get off the ship until noon. They said it was due to winds between St Thomas and CC.
That is disappointing, but that’s weather related and it can’t be avoided. To have the schedule show in advance that the ship will get there late is different. It’s not impossible to get there for an 8:30 am arrival. We have done it on the Magic and the Fantasy.
I really enjoy the cc day. Intentionally planning a short stay there would be a deal breaker for me.
I’d pick another cruise.

That is disappointing, but that’s weather related and it can’t be avoided. To have the schedule show in advance that the ship will get there late is different. It’s not impossible to get there for an 8:30 am arrival. We have done it on the Magic and the Fantasy.
I really enjoy the cc day. Intentionally planning a short stay there would be a deal breaker for me.
I’d pick another cruise.
It was scheduled for around 10am, not 8.30.

We did end up leaving at 5 so had a bit more time but the buffet was honestly nuts the whole time it was open on the island. It was also super long lines to get off the ship. Probably my worse CC experience overall and I wish I’d stayed on the ship.

I don't know if it's a new thing, but on both Eastern Caribbean itineraries (2022 and 2023) it was like that for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter