Need a quality couch

jgreco

Mouseketeer
Already been through Rooms to Go, Pottery Barn and Arhaus.

Do they even make quality furniture anymore? $4000 bought me sagging cushions, "the print" wore off the material of a $6000 couch, I am tired of this.

Any suggestions for quality brands I should be looking for?

jgreco said:
Already been through Rooms to Go, Pottery Barn and Arhaus.

Do they even make quality furniture anymore? $4000 bought me sagging cushions, "the print" wore off the material of a $6000 couch, I am tired of this.

Any suggestions for quality brands I should be looking for?

We have a two year old leather coach that has so far survived constant abuse from my three kids and dog. It is a Flexsteel. Believe me, our La Z Boy couch did not hold up this well. Room and Board furniture is supposed to be very well made, but I have just catalog shopped that. It is beautiful stuff, but so far, out of my price range.

I'm getting my new sofas delivered this week and did a lot of research. There are different levels of quality and it depends on what you want to spend. I found this site helpful http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/

For good, mid range sofas look at Clayton Marcus, Temple, Jetton, Massoud, Thomasville, Highland House, Century, Drexel, King Hickory, Michael Thomas, Harden, Ethan Allen, Pennsylvania House, Lexington.

Higher end: E J Victor, Henredon, Heritage, Southwood, Stickley Audi, Taylor King, Bradington Young, Hancock & Moore, hickory White.

Flex steel is a mid price company that I was interested in, but found mixed reviews from people who have bought recently. We ended up going with Temple.

So you had a $4,000 couch and a $6,000 couch and now you're on the budget board looking for advice?

So you had a $4,000 couch and a $6,000 couch and now you're on the budget board looking for advice?

A budget board on a Disney trip planning website. Would you question someone looking for help planning a $4000 or $6000 trip to Disney?

OP, I'm not familiar with all the brands that the pp mentioned, but Thomasville furniture is not what it used to be. I wouldn't count on them to be any better than what you looking to replace.

We bought a nice leather living room set about 11 years ago and yes the leather looks a little worn it has held up to three kids, two dogs and a cat. We bought it at Raymour and Flanagan and would definately do the same thing again. We thought about saving for some new furniture soon but I think we are just going to have it professionally cleaned and have the couch cushions re-stuffed and save ourselves a ton of $!:)

me too! our last purchase of 2 couches cost us thousands, within 3 months they were coming apart:faint: we still have them but when we replace,we'd like our new couches to hold up(seriousy!?) but this past time burned us...we spent MORE at a fancier place...and failed...
we still have our old beat up flexsteel couches from 1991 in the basement rec room...maybe we should look at that brand again- they're not in great shape anymore, but held up remarkably well,still solid underneath....

Flexsteel is not what is used to be. We recently bought a Flexsteel leather chair and the one that was delivered feels nothing like the floor model. Even though we paid $1200 on sale, the model we bought is considered their low end and is a Flexsteel import. Very disappointing since I'd previously owned one of their couches and it held up very well.

Flexsteel has some of their furniture manufactured in China now. In particular, be careful about the leather Latitudes line. I've read many horror stories about how cheaply it is made. The leather quality is fine, but the basic construction underneath is shoddy.

The place I bought my furniture from carries it, but even the sales person admitted it's badly made. They had one customer discover that parts that you would expect to be made out of plywood at a minimum are made out of cardboard.

I'm as cheap as any budget boarder. But after doing research and after my last two experiences buying inexpensive sofas, I think that to some degree you get what you pay for. If you want something reasonably well made, that's going to last for a decade or more, you aren't going to get it super cheap.

If you have nerves of steel, you can get some good buys going online. We got a leather sectional that way, and saved about $1000. It still wasn't cheap, and IMO, the element of risk is substantially higher.

The one place where you can get great deals is by buying from furniture stores when they are clearancing out floor models. Obviously, that's the luck of the draw and you have to be flexible about what you are willing to take.

I really have no advice here. We change our minds so often about furniture, paint colors etc. so we just buy cheap couches ( under $2000) and replace it as needed. We've had our leather couches for 5 years and I have been dying to get rid of them for the past 2. At the time we really liked the sleek modern look of them. Now we want something comfortable lol. Big fat comfy cushions, recliners and no more leather to stick to I want microfiber!!!!!

Good luck with your search:)

We have almost an 8 year old Lay Z Boy couch and love seat and it's holding up great to 2 adults, 1 kid and a cat. I would highly recommend them. Before this set we had a Clayton Marcus made just for us through Haverty's. It was wearing out and torn within a few weeks and that was without our son yet.

I have been researching the same thing for our new house. Decided to go with a cheap ikea slipcover sofa with chaise vs spending several thousand for a few reasons...

I have read everywhere that even the good brands are not good anymore and not worth the $$$

we have kids and dogs so I won't feel bad if it gets stained. would just replace.

won't feel bad if I am sick of looking at it in 3 years...would just replace it.

We have 2 leather ecktorp sofas from ikea we bought in late 2008 that still look new. I am buying the same again but slipcovered and different style.

We also have a huge sectional in our playroom we got last year this time at costco for $800. It seems to be really nice quality...also still looks new.

My new motto is buy less expensive stuff that still has good reviews b/c I will want something different in a few years anyways. ;)

Good luck with you search....I actually got my last two couches off of Amazon and they are holding up pretty well. I am so gunshy about funiture because of the expense and its not something we want to change....but the user reviews did help.

We bought Natuzzi leather and paid about $3000 for a full sized sofa with two recliners at each end and a love seat. We have cats (who wear soft paw nail covers so no scratching but they do run all over it and sleep on it) and we're not "small" people, lol, we are very healthy-sized. Its about 4 years old now and have held up beautifully!

I know Natuzzi is pricey but very worth it. Also, don't buy a leather sofa that's made of bonded leather, it will wear out so much faster. spend the extra and get genuine leather.

It boggles my mind when someone has nothing better to do than make snarky remarks. Why post if you have nothing constructive to say?

Most people who are budget-minded have done thorough research and get the best value for the dollar. I have gained valuable information from this board over the years. And I have learned that cost does not determine quality..twice.

To those that responded with HELPFUL information- Thank you!

Sherrill

I don't bother looking at other brands. I am responsible for my home, my fathers homes, and my father in laws. They are big men and the stuff holds up great. It isn't cheap but all made to order. You pick your options. I am partial to a rolled arm and skirt so this makes purchasing easier.

We bought a Flexsteel sofa, chair and ottoman almost 10 years ago. It looks almost like new. The fabric and constuction have held up beautifully. It is brown chenille...not leather if that makes a difference.

We bought a La-z-boy rocker recliner at the same time and that looks like its about 20 years old. The cushions are all broken down, and the fabric is worn out. Very disappointing.

Good luck with your shopping!

Believe it or not, but Pottery Barn sells quality upholstered furniture. They're made by this company: http://www.mgbwhome.com/. They're made in North Carolina.

We bought a Manhattan Leather sofa and arm chair/ottoman in 2006 and they still look brand new. And we have two kids. You can use a coupon code and they occasionally have sales, but they're still rather pricey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter