Need a quality couch

Believe it or not, but Pottery Barn sells quality upholstered furniture. They're made by this company: http://www.mgbwhome.com/. They're made in North Carolina.

We bought a Manhattan Leather sofa and arm chair/ottoman in 2006 and they still look brand new. And we have two kids. You can use a coupon code and they occasionally have sales, but they're still rather pricey.

I remember reading an article in Smart Money magazine (from 2006), where they "deconstructed" a PB upholstered sofa, and found that the construction quality was NOT on par with the cost of the item.
Honestly, it surprised me, since so many people buy PB furniture...

I work for Calico Corners (so obviously I'm biased), but for the same price that you're paying (or less), you can get EXACTLY the sofa style you want, plus the fabric you want. I have a faux suede sectional in their mid-level pricing (the Classic Home collection) that has withstood our two year old eating on it, jumping on it, and drawing on it with crayon :scared: with no damage! In our training, we have associates do a comparison of our furniture to competitors, and most of the time our prices are lower (with better selection, and better quality). There's a handout on our site (found on this page) that is a great checklist of things to ask furniture retailers about.

It is also not a let's show the world what a jerk I can be board.

People just have a hard time time understanding one budget doesn't fit all. It should be okay to talk about a $500 couch and a $6000 couch on the same board. We should have a frugal board in addition to general budget since its such a pain for people to deal with both ends of a budget. If its not their own type its obviously wrong. :rolleyes1

Anyways, I've had luck with rooms to go furniture and Macy's. (I was surprised!) Not so much luck with Room and Board.

People just have a hard time time understanding one budget doesn't fit all. It should be okay to talk about a $500 couch and a $6000 couch on the same board. We should have a frugal board in addition to general budget since its such a pain for people to deal with both ends of a budget. If its not their own type its obviously wrong. :rolleyes1

Anyways, I've had luck with rooms to go furniture and Macy's. (I was surprised!) Not so much luck with Room and Board.

Hope you realize my comment was directed to the person with the snarky comment not you

girli565 said:
We bought Natuzzi leather and paid about $3000 for a full sized sofa with two recliners at each end and a love seat. We have cats (who wear soft paw nail covers so no scratching but they do run all over it and sleep on it) and we're not "small" people, lol, we are very healthy-sized. Its about 4 years old now and have held up beautifully!

I know Natuzzi is pricey but very worth it. Also, don't buy a leather sofa that's made of bonded leather, it will wear out so much faster. spend the extra and get genuine leather.

I second Natuzzi!! Ours is about 6-7 years old microfiber reclining sofa that is holding up strong, besides when we cat sit and the cat thought the end was a scratching post. :0

We had a Massoud sofa that was gorgeous and held up very well. When I decided to get new living room furniture, we gave it to our bachelor son who entertains A LOT. All together it's lasted 12 years and finally began to show wear. He is now engaged and he and his fiancee are going to buy new furniture for their house.

The furniture I bought was Kincaid and it's held up. I love it. The colors have faded but I love a lived in English cottage look, so it's perfect.

I know this is late but I bought a sofa, chair and ottoman from Bernhardt around 20 years ago. I can say that it looks great It was about 3,000 for the 3 pieces but totally worth it. The fabric looks good, the cushions are firm. I can't express how much I recommend this brand is really really good.

We just got our new sofa from Sam's. It was under $600 but it's a reclining sofa and has been holding up well for the past few months. It's got a metal frame and was fun to get in the house but it's really comfy. My DH works nights and I often come home to find him asleep on it.

We were looking at couches lately. I think we will go for a Stickley. The early 1900s craftsman style fits our house.

We have a 15-year-old lazy boy couch and matching wingbacks that have held up beautifully. Not sure what the quality is these days but I believe they are still made in the USA.

This is probably too budget friendly but we bought our 1st couch from Big Lots about 4 years ago and it's held up great. Like extremely well. We are only looking to replace it now because we'd like a sectional and because the dog decided he needed to dig through 1 of the cushions. I'd definitely recommend for anyone on a tight budget or just starting out!

We bought a nice leather living room set about 11 years ago and yes the leather looks a little worn it has held up to three kids, two dogs and a cat. We bought it at Raymour and Flanagan and would definately do the same thing again. We thought about saving for some new furniture soon but I think we are just going to have it professionally cleaned and have the couch cushions re-stuffed and save ourselves a ton of $!:)

We went for a fairly inexpensive leather set - less than $1200 for a couch and loveset - probably about six years ago. It isn't awesome furniture, but its held up well with two dogs and a cat and two kids. I've spent a lot of money on furniture and been disappointed, I now buy inexpensive knowing I'll replace it. It isn't worth it to spend $4000 on a couch and replace it in six years when I can spend $1000 on a couch and replace it in four.

Bad for the environment, but if I could get a couch that would last thirty years, that would be different. I can't. So I look at it as a dollar per year thing.

Leather does tend to hold up well.

I have a crappy Sears couch in my living room that is going on twenty five years. The finish on it started looking kind of trashy about three years ago, and the cushions are going - but again - two dogs and a cat (a series of animals for that couch). Its a good thing I didn't replace it, because the puppy came a year ago, and his second favorite chew toy has been the furniture (first favorite - the throw rugs - its a good thing they are $25 Ikea rugs). It isn't like I entertain Senators or anything - my mother knows what sort of house I keep - and my friends tend to share my values.

I hope after 4 years they have found a sofa. Where do people find these threads.
It is unfortunate that the disboards don't routinely delete/archive or close threads that are outdated and/or no longer relevant.

It's very easy to think an old thread is new- I check dates constantly to avoid the mistake. The forums are very full, and the search function is somewhat limited.

Message boards are messy!

I guess what bothers me is the posters who bring them back post once and never come back. They aren't offering anything to the thread if you post once and never come back.

I guess what bothers me is the posters who bring them back post once and never come back. They aren't offering anything to the thread if you post once and never come back.

Another perspective on why they don't continue to post is because as soon as they bring back the thread, someone comes along and hammers them about why they brought back an old thread.

To be fair to you and some others who automatically start pointing out that an old thread or Zombie thread has been resurrected, some of those one post posters often look like they are just trying to drum up business or sell something. Others look like they've been brought back by someone 'Dis' related when the boards slow down. I don't mind old threads - some of them quickly become new again when they are timeless topics, such as where can I buy a decent couch or what does it cost to get a plumber to your house.

All of us are not automatically interested and some of us didn't read the thread when it was first posted. But some days, I and maybe others do enjoy reading some of this. I agree it's not for everyone, but you can always move on and let it die out again if you are not interested.

OH man we haven't found a good couch...our current Bassett is wearing out quite fast.

I THINK we will look at lazy boy next, my BIL's couch is from there and it seems to be better built than ours and the three pieces of Lazy Boy furniture in my office also seem superior than the rest of the house that is Bassett.

I hate when people bring back old threads because many times it's old and out of date information. Not long ago someone brought back an old dining plan thread that got people really confused because the information was old and wrong now.

OH man we haven't found a good couch...our current Bassett is wearing out quite fast.

I THINK we will look at lazy boy next, my BIL's couch is from there and it seems to be better built than ours and the three pieces of Lazy Boy furniture in my office also seem superior than the rest of the house that is Bassett.

I'm thinking of paying to recover if I can find a fabric I love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!