NBA Playoffs - Who ya got?

So apparently the scheduling geniuses picked a great time for game 3 of the Warriors-Grizzlies series. 5:30 PDT at Chase Center in San Francisco. Giants-Cardinals game time is 4:15. And it will be especially odd since they will likely end around the same time. That's going to be interesting because there's limited parking in the area, which is shared. And then public transportation is going to be nuts.

https://www.mlb.com/giants/ballpark/transportation/chase-center

There were some weird dual scheduling when the Warriors played in Oakland. Or just dual events like a baseball game and the circus. Warriors used to have that with the A's. In 2016 when Draymond Green was suspended for a game, he wasn't allowed in the arena at all for the Finals game 5 unless the game was over. He actually spent the night in a luxury suite with the Warriors GM watching an A's game next door.

NEW YORK — Memphis Grizzlies guard-forward Dillon Brooks has been suspended one game without pay for having made unnecessary and excessive contact against Golden State Warriors guard Gary Payton II, resulting in substantial injury to Payton, it was announced today by Byron Spruell, President, League Operations.​
The incident, for which Brooks was assessed a Flagrant Foul 2 and ejected, occurred with 9:08 remaining in the first quarter of the Grizzlies’ 106-101 win over the Warriors in Game 2 of their conference semifinals playoff series May 3 at FedEx Forum.​
Brooks will serve his suspension Saturday, May 7 when the Grizzlies visit the Warriors for Game 3 at Chase Center.​

Well this should be an interesting game. You know what I think of Embiid, but I hate to see any player with injuries during playoff time.

Draymond Green was fined $25,000 for flipping off the crowd before getting ejected in game 1.
Oh that will hurt. :rotfl2::drinking1

Can't find a good eye roll. I don't really care either way, honestly but really.

Last edited:
Oh that will hurt. :rotfl2::drinking1

Can't find a good eye roll. I don't really care either way, honestly but really.

I think it was on his own podcast where he talked about a potential fine coming. And I'm mixing up all that stuff. Game 1 he just ran around the floor before he got ejected but no fine. The double-bird was in game 2 when he went to the locker room to get treated after getting bloodied by an elbow and that was his parting shot before he came back later with stitches.

“If you’re gonna boo somebody who got elbowed in the eye and face running down blood, you should get flipped off. So I’ll take the fine. I’ll do an appearance and make up the money. But it felt really good to flip them off. You’re gonna boo someone that gets elbowed in the eye and blood running down their face? I could’ve had a concussion or anything. If they’re gonna be that nasty, I can be nasty, too. I’m assuming the cheers were because they know I’ll get fined.​
Great. I make $25 million a year. I’ll be just fine.”​

Great. I make $25 million a year. I’ll be just fine.”
My exact point..

Thanks for that bcla, he's a polarizing player; but both fair and bang on with his points made.

But around and around we go because we can't have players.flippimg off crowds. Oh man. :laughing:

Warriors are cruising and both sides cleared their benches. But it looks like Ja Morant is injured. Maybe a knee or calf.

Van Gundy was talking about what I have squawked about for years on here. Some players are in refs' faces day in, day out - to the level of abusive behavior for some and get hardly anything called on them. And then players that are respectful day in, day out have a moment and the t comes flying out.. So wrong.

Van Gundy was talking about what I have squawked about for years on here. Some players are in refs' faces day in, day out - to the level of abusive behavior for some and get hardly anything called on them. And then players that are respectful day in, day out have a moment and the t comes flying out.. So wrong.

The NBA has a culture where players, coaches and refs have a give and play where they can talk to each other and point out where they think they’re getting jobbed or where they can complain that maybe an opponent is getting way with something. I guess it comes with the mechanics of the game, including constant stoppages and that players aren’t stuck in specific positions on the playing field. Last game I saw a guy complain that he got called for a defensive foul when the offensive player initiated the contact and frankly it looked like he was pushed.

However, technical fouls usually happen after a player might follow a ref around the floor or if they say a magic word. If you’re good at lipreading you’ll know.

But it’s odd sometimes, where one ref makes a call, but the player senses a ref will have a short leash and then complain to another ref. Not sure exactly what they’re hoping for other than to maybe get a makeup call or hope that another official officiates differently.

The NBA has a culture where players, coaches and refs have a give and play where they can talk to each other and point out where they think they’re getting jobbed or where they can complain that maybe an opponent is getting way with something. I guess it comes with the mechanics of the game, including constant stoppages and that players aren’t stuck in specific positions on the playing field. Last game I saw a guy complain that he got called for a defensive foul when the offensive player initiated the contact and frankly it looked like he was pushed.

However, technical fouls usually happen after a player might follow a ref around the floor or if they say a magic word. If you’re good at lipreading you’ll know.

But it’s odd sometimes, where one ref makes a call, but the player senses a ref will have a short leash and then complain to another ref. Not sure exactly what they’re hoping for other than to maybe get a makeup call or hope that another official officiates differently.
It is really hard to know what is right for the game and where to go with it.

But it truly seems unjust when some can be so in your face every game - multiple.times without a thing done and others are squashed in a heartbeat, when they accept and play on game after game.

Remember Tim.Duncan's on the bench t -:rotfl2:

But that is life too. Kids who misbehave constantly get attention and sometimes carrots to be better, while other children get shafted with time and attention.

I am not calling NBA players children..:laughing:

Such a balance as I do think pointing things out to refs is important, as is blowing off a bit of steam at times.

Boy I would hate to be a ref.

Yes, highly entertaining at times.
Refs have to have such patience and a genuine lack of ego.

Yes, highly entertaining at times.
Refs have to have such patience and a genuine lack of ego.

Most primary broadcasts have some way where the sounds from the players aren’t so loud. I think they may be worried about FCC or other regulatory agencies fining them. Is there a restriction on four-letter words in Canada?

However, I’ve been following some of these games from overhead cameras because I could get those views for free when I didn’t subscribe to TNT or ESPN. However, those microphones are trained on the floor, and man what the players are yelling out can be pretty salty. There’s also no play by play so everything comes right through.

Last edited:
So I watched the end of the ESPN Deportes broadcast of Suns at Mavericks. I guess that's my opportunity to work on my Spanish. 111-101 Mavs, and it wasn't really in any doubt with two minutes left.

So far Warriors-Grizzlies game 4 in San Francisco there's a lot to digest.

Ja Morant is out with a knee injury, but there's no word on the exact issue or when he might be expected to return (if at all).

Steve Kerr is out due to COVID-19 protocols although there's no word if he's positive. But Mike Brown (soon to be head coach of the Sacramento Kings) is going to be the interim head coach in Kerr's place.

Dillon Brooks will probably be the #1 offensive option now for the Grizzlies, and the crowd is going to boo him every time he touches the ball or if he commits a foul.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter