• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Stupid Question...Pregnant & Food with Beer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes: Are you seriously going to pick on me for that? I was making a point of me not DRINKING alcoholic beverages. I stated as such because I had defended drinking and was *trying* to say that even though I am fine with drinking it, i haven't done it. You were a bit literal there in taking me. And fwiw, I haven't really had many cookies with vanilla extract. I only eat desserts right now that I know what they are made out of. Yes mine has alcohol, but the amount of alcohol in a cookie would be next to nill.

I will say I have NOT DRANK any alcoholic BEVERAGES. Nor have I cooked with beer or wine. Is that more clear? :rolleyes:

Can't speak for that soup at Coral Reef... I don't do seafood ;)
(referring to the quote you made of poster CRISI) (her post didn't quote)

IF she uses that type of logic, you (or SHE) should NEVER get a shot at the doctors office, as they use ALCOHOL swabs to clean the area before a shot. And how about the little "WET WIPES" handcleaner that DW has made me use when travelling. they are ALCOHOL based.. It must be a conspiricy!!

Oh look, a baby Wolf....

Actually, I'm on the "moderate drinking probably does no harm, there is certainly no proof it does" side. I drank on several occations before discovering I was pregnant - and even had a few glasses of wine (on doctor's orders!) while pregnant (high blood pressure and panic attacks - he said 'I don't know what anti anxiety meds will do to the baby, but I know the risk for a single glass of wine on occation is very low, I'd do that if I were you). I'm just trying to point out that its nearly impossible to avoid all alcohol while pregnant and that it becomes a matter of "how much" - someplace between "vanilla extract in cookies" and "getting boffo'd every night" is a danger point. I happen to think that its well beyond beer cheese soup or a wine reduction demiglaze - but each person needs to pick the point at which they feel comfortable - and if you have questions, talk to your OB.

I was prescribed alchohol while pregnant for an irritated uterus. It helped calm down the contractions so they stayed non productive.

Just remember: Drinking alcohol is often the proximal cause of pregnancy, not that there is anything wrong with that!:thumbsup2

As per The Academy of Family Physicians:

Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can be dangerous to you and your baby. Babies born to mothers who drink during pregnancy may have health problems. One of these problems is called fetal alcohol syndrome.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is a group of problems in children born to mothers who drank alcohol during their pregnancy. These babies are usually small and underweight. They often have birth defects such as delayed development and, as they grow older, they may have behavior problems. The most serious problem is mental retardation.

Even small amounts of alcohol can be harmful. Because no amount of alcohol can be considered safe, pregnant women should avoid all alcohol during the entire pregnancy. (Drinks with alcohol in them include beer, wine, hard liquor and wine coolers.)

Actually, I'm on the "moderate drinking probably does no harm, there is certainly no proof it does" side. I drank on several occations before discovering I was pregnant - and even had a few glasses of wine (on doctor's orders!) while pregnant (high blood pressure and panic attacks - he said 'I don't know what anti anxiety meds will do to the baby, but I know the risk for a single glass of wine on occation is very low, I'd do that if I were you). I'm just trying to point out that its nearly impossible to avoid all alcohol while pregnant and that it becomes a matter of "how much" - someplace between "vanilla extract in cookies" and "getting boffo'd every night" is a danger point. I happen to think that its well beyond beer cheese soup or a wine reduction demiglaze - but each person needs to pick the point at which they feel comfortable - and if you have questions, talk to your OB.
Ah thank you! I thought you were specifically trying to get on me, and not making a point with it. My mistake.

And yes, TheRustyScupper managed to put what the CYA afraid of being sued doctors state. Sorry, I still think it is an over reaction to the sue happy society that we have become. When I was a child it wasn't much of an issue at all. Then again my DH's mom was told to have a drink every so often because she was having contractions as well. My DH turned out fine.

Just remember: Drinking alcohol is often the proximal cause of pregnancy, not that there is anything wrong with that!:thumbsup2

:rotfl2: So right and funny this how I ended up pregnant 3 out of my 4 times! Don't get me wrong we were planning on getting prego around the times when it happened just not at that time. Only our first was planned I mean by checking my temp and ovulation and all that stuff. The other three times we went out and had a little too much fun. My husband and I joke that alcohol makes me more fertile.

Ah thank you! I thought you were specifically trying to get on me, and not making a point with it. My mistake.

And yes, TheRustyScupper managed to put what the CYA afraid of being sued doctors state. Sorry, I still think it is an over reaction to the sue happy society that we have become. When I was a child it wasn't much of an issue at all. Then again my DH's mom was told to have a drink every so often because she was having contractions as well. My DH turned out fine.

I think that being worried about alcohol in a cooked soup is being a little cautious; however telling pregnant women about the dangers of alcohol use isn't just a CYA. I've taught preschool for almost 20 years now and I've cared for plenty of fetally exposed children. They have a hard life. The most drastic issues are behavioral and social. These kids don't have consciences. Its difficult to get them to understand what is right and what is wrong. This is a basic social skill that is required to participate effectively in society.

As has already been pointed out, alcohol exposure is of the most concern during the beginning of a pregnancy because thats when the brain is forming. I would imagine having a glass of wine at the end of the pregnancy isn't as big of a deal as in the beginning.

I think that being worried about alcohol in a cooked soup is being a little cautious; however telling pregnant women about the dangers of alcohol use isn't just a CYA. I've taught preschool for almost 20 years now and I've cared for plenty of fetally exposed children. They have a hard life. The most drastic issues are behavioral and social. These kids don't have consciences. Its difficult to get them to understand what is right and what is wrong. This is a basic social skill that is required to participate effectively in society.

As has already been pointed out, alcohol exposure is of the most concern during the beginning of a pregnancy because thats when the brain is forming. I would imagine having a glass of wine at the end of the pregnancy isn't as big of a deal as in the beginning.

Yet, if you aren't a big drinker, you shouldn't worry about a glass or two had before you knew you were pregnant. Many of us don't realize we are pregnant (yep, surprises still happen) and go through our normal lives for a month or two - including all the pregnancy no-nos like no prenatal vitamins, eating rare beef and fish, having our normal non-pregnancy diets, cleaning the catbox, alcohol, hot tubs, aspirin, smoking, prescription drugs that we get taken off of once we know.

oh and fish is apparently off the DON'Ts list and according some new study they say you NEED to eat fish. Not that I think they'll ever say you need to drink alcohol except for maybe with that contraction issue a few people mentioned. It's just another example of how these supposedly hard and fast rules really aren't all that america has made them into. I don't consider europe's medical skill to be lacking so I wonder what precautions are given to pregnant women, alcohol and otherwise, that don't match what american doctors provide - and what their rates of FAS are and of other disorders linked to those pregnancy precautions.

Bottom line, talk to your Dr if you are concerned but remember that what your dr tells you might not be what the dr down the road would recommend even if they have same skill, experience, and education.

oh and fish is apparently off the DON'Ts list and according some new study they say you NEED to eat fish. Not that I think they'll ever say you need to drink alcohol except for maybe with that contraction issue a few people mentioned. It's just another example of how these supposedly hard and fast rules really aren't all that america has made them into. I don't consider europe's medical skill to be lacking so I wonder what precautions are given to pregnant women, alcohol and otherwise, that don't match what american doctors provide - and what their rates of FAS are and of other disorders linked to those pregnancy precautions.

Bottom line, talk to your Dr if you are concerned but remember that what your dr tells you might not be what the dr down the road would recommend even if they have same skill, experience, and education.

Actually the fish part is not entirely true. I do not have it on hand with me since I do not eat fish period, but only certain fishes are prohibited, some are limited and some are pretty much eat as you want. It just depends on the type. At least that is per my doc for someone who is currently pregnant (like me).

I agree, that if you ever question, talk to your doctor, they do know better than any of us here. You might be surprised what will go over well with one doctor and not another.

because we believe that the OP's original question has been answered and this is starting to get off topic.....we have decided to close it........thanks for understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter