• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Stupid Question...Pregnant & Food with Beer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
FAS and ARND and all related spectrums are 100% preventable. There is no treatment or cure.

There are many mothers out there that drink like fish and have no problems with their babies. I have little doubt there are mothers out there that thought one glass is not going to hurt, only to find out the devastation alcohol does to the fetus's brain
I don't know if my kid's mom drank 1 beer or 1000 beers, I do know that if she had drank none my kids would be smart productive members of society instead of having to rely on society to take care of them the rest of their lives.

It is only 9 months of your life, not very long when all things are considered.

People have written on here worrying about the dangers of riding rides while pregnant. I applaud this mom who was willing to consider a more socially accepted practice as a possible risk. I don't know what splash mt will do, but I know 100% what alcohol can do...avoid it while pregnant, then no one will be able to say " I told you so"

WOW, really I don't think this question is one to go running to your doctor about (but if you happen to think of it when you are there and it makes you feel better to ask........) People on Dis have gotten so scared of Internet medical advice that you have to follow everything up with "ask your doctor" even just common sense things. More like ask a chief. :lmao:

I don't drink alcohol. I don't like it and I would not drink when pregnant, that is just me.

However, I am with everyone else. It is on the kids menu......... It is fine. (and it is yummy, enjoy it.) :thumbsup2

Heck I would be more worried about the cheese in it causing problems then alcohol, but that is only because my DD ended up allergic to milk and eggs and it made me a bit paranoid for a while there................. :rolleyes1

Is anybody else amused that our grandparents never worried about this? Lots of women drank during pregnancy in the early to mid-1900's (not all that long ago) without causing damage to their children. Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far?

My doctor told me I could have an occassional glass of wine. I'm not sure if she said how often, but for some reason 1 glass a week sticks in my mind. I think they say "no alcohol" because addictive types might take the occassional glass advice to mean that they could do a shot of tequila every night. And once they take the shot they go on to consume several glasses.

Now drinking while nursing is a whole 'nother story.

Is anybody else amused that our grandparents never worried about this? Lots of women drank during pregnancy in the early to mid-1900's (not all that long ago) without causing damage to their children. Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far?
ITA! I think it's gone a bit too far in some ways on a few other things as well.

That said, just in case anyone is curious, I am 7 months pregnant and not have had ONE drop of alcohol since I have been pregnant. I just personally do not drink at all period with the exception of a sip of wine at church. I haven't done that since I became pregnant though because the smell of it made me ill.

I do know many pregnant ladies in church who do sip the wine weekly. I doubt even that regularly and that little will do damage.

I think we've just become a society that is afraid of everything. No wonder we have helicopter parents.

FWIW, my doc also said mild rides while pregnant at WDW were fine. Neither of us understood why Test Track or the Safari were issues. I get more bumps on the roads we drive on and the train tracks we go over. So yeah, I think some things are definitely more of CYA or over reactions now!

ITA! I think it's gone a bit too far in some ways on a few other things as well.

That said, just in case anyone is curious, I am 7 months pregnant and not have had ONE drop of alcohol since I have been pregnant. I just personally do not drink at all period with the exception of a sip of wine at church. I haven't done that since I became pregnant though because the smell of it made me ill.

I do know many pregnant ladies in church who do sip the wine weekly. I doubt even that regularly and that little will do damage.

I think we've just become a society that is afraid of everything. No wonder we have helicopter parents.

FWIW, my doc also said mild rides while pregnant at WDW were fine. Neither of us understood why Test Track or the Safari were issues. I get more bumps on the roads we drive on and the train tracks we go over. So yeah, I think some things are definitely more of CYA or over reactions now!

Have you had a cookie? You've probably had on drop of alcohol. Vanilla extract (almost all extracts) are made with alcohol. And it doesn't cook completely out. If you are going to get rid of "food cooked with alcohol" while pregnant you have to drop almost all cakes, cookies, brownies, etc. from your diet.

I do agree with many posters who say we overreact to things. Personally, as far as the soup is concerned, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind as being a no-no for a pregnant woman. But other foods might be questionable (though I don't know for certain), especially those with large amounts of uncooked spirits (such as bourbon, rum, etc.) which have a significantly higher concentration of alcohol than beer or wine. I know that I have had some very potent bourbon balls and zabilogne in the past:thumbsup2

But I don't think asking her doctor about it is silly or an overreaction if she is concerned about it, which she apparently is. If it were me, and I were worried enough about an issue with my pregnancy to ask somebody about it, I would ask my doctor before I would ask a message board, no offense to all the brilliant minds who post here!;)

But I don't think asking her doctor about it is silly or an overreaction if she is concerned about it, which she apparently is. If it were me, and I were worried enough about an issue with my pregnancy to ask somebody about it, I would ask my doctor before I would ask a message board, no offense to all the brilliant minds who post here!;)

OBs are used to FAR more silly questions during pregnancy. Part of the job of an OB is to take calls from overstressed, over anxious pregnant women.

It should also be noted that not all OBs agree on all these things. One of my standard pieces of advice to women starting to conceive is to find an OB who has a pregnancy philosophy similar to yours - if you have one. Mine was liberal in the list of over the counter medications he thought were "safe." He also said once I reached my due date if I wanted to be induced he would go ahead and schedule - it was my pregnancy and my decision. A friend with a much more natural approach to pregnancy and diet has an OB who is about as non-intervention as a doctor can be - c-sections only where required, induction is rare, no (or very few) episotomies, and she is pretty up front about saying she prefers no epidural (and most of her clients are of the same mind), and she wants all her clients to be on a diet of organic food, high in vegetables.

And that each woman is different - my cousin had to stay on meds during pregnancy for her own health even though they had a slight increased risk for her children (three children, no birth defects, but she WAS taking a small risk).

I did have a few drinks over an entire pregnancy for each of my children...
A glass of champagne at a wedding...
A beer sample...
A beer when I had gone through a particularly stressful situation...
I asked my OB...
She said ONE drink OCCASIONALLY is of no concern (oh, and forgot about those weekends away right before finding out I was prgnant!:eek: ) She said that stress is not good for a fetus and a drink could help that. She also said that ONE and NOT more, and only occasionally.
(PS if something was wrong with my child, it is impossible to pin fault on the OB; it would be necessary to have hard proof that the alcohol caused the defect, and based on studies all over the world, that would be unprovable)

Funny, I have 3 bright healthy children. By IQ tests, they are all gifted, one highly.

(BTW, wasn't there a study that children who aren't breastfed have lower IQs and had more colds/ear infections/etc as babies? I couldn't breastfeed, though I intended to, and have had remarkably healthy children, who are inarguably bright; I TOTALLY support breastfeeding, but it is bothersome when others judge those who do not; it may be a choice OR it may not; and drinking while breastfeeding has its own set of issues.)

If you choose not to drink during pregnancy, good for you. If you have a rare drink, don't worry about it(and if it does worry you,DO NOT DRINK) Clearly drinking several drinks regularly and you are playing russian roulette. I have taught AFS children. It is sad.

I think that's the case with a lot of things, and that in time, we'll see a more balanced approach. I think a lot of the expert advice we see now is a case of a little information being a dangerous thing - incomplete, emerging understanding of various aspects of human development leads to over-reaction, which is then tempered over time as a fuller picture emerges.

Not drinking, but another great example of the pendulum - the anti-bacterial craze that peaked a while back, when mothers were advised to sterilize everything that baby touches and to limit contact with other people and even sometimes to get rid of family pets or isolate them from the baby. Now, studies are showing that too much use of antimicrobial products just builds stronger germs, that an untested immune system can lead to lasting health problems such as allergies, and it seems that, barring pre-existing health issues such as prematurity, babies really aren't that delicate after all. Well *duh*. If we really were that delicate in early life, our species would have died out long before we invented Lysol! :rotfl:

My doctor took a very moderate approach to both alcohol and rides. No thrill rides, but he didn't feel that anything at Disney would be problematic except ToT (this was before RnR, Animal Kingdom, Mission Space, Test Track, etc. - my only pregnant trip was in '97). He advised me to let my body be the guide when it came to the mountians, and I did - I rode Splash, but the all-day morning sickness kept me off Space and Thunder, and I skipped the tea cups because just the thought of all that spinning was too much! As far as I can tell, it did no lasting harm, though DS has been a thrill ride nut from the moment he was big enough to ride! :rotfl:

When it came to alcohol, his advice was that very moderate consumption was reasonably safe, and that the hard-line "no alcohol" comes from a position of CYA not from sound science. I had exactly two glasses of wine when pregnant with DD, one glass to join in the toast at each of the two weddings we attended during that time, and none when pregnant with DS.

What do those of you who have a more moderate view of the question think about the cream of lobster soup at the coral reef?

Have you had a cookie? You've probably had on drop of alcohol. Vanilla extract (almost all extracts) are made with alcohol. And it doesn't cook completely out. If you are going to get rid of "food cooked with alcohol" while pregnant you have to drop almost all cakes, cookies, brownies, etc. from your diet.
:rolleyes: Are you seriously going to pick on me for that? I was making a point of me not DRINKING alcoholic beverages. I stated as such because I had defended drinking and was *trying* to say that even though I am fine with drinking it, i haven't done it. You were a bit literal there in taking me. And fwiw, I haven't really had many cookies with vanilla extract. I only eat desserts right now that I know what they are made out of. Yes mine has alcohol, but the amount of alcohol in a cookie would be next to nill.

I will say I have NOT DRANK any alcoholic BEVERAGES. Nor have I cooked with beer or wine. Is that more clear? :rolleyes:

Can't speak for that soup at Coral Reef... I don't do seafood ;)

on the menu it says it has chervil and brandy. Isn't brandy a "hard" liquor?

I NEVER drink so I don't know these things but I love that soup!

on the menu it says it has chervil and brandy. Isn't brandy a "hard" liquor?

I NEVER drink so I don't know these things but I love that soup!

Brandy is a spirit, chervil is just an herb. I guess it depends on how the soup was made.

What do those of you who have a more moderate view of the question think about the cream of lobster soup at the coral reef?

Same thing I think about the cheese soup - it is one of the kids' appetizer choices, so the alcohol content must be negligible.

:rolleyes: Are you seriously going to pick on me for that? I was making a point of me not DRINKING alcoholic beverages. I stated as such because I had defended drinking and was *trying* to say that even though I am fine with drinking it, i haven't done it. You were a bit literal there in taking me. And fwiw, I haven't really had many cookies with vanilla extract. I only eat desserts right now that I know what they are made out of. Yes mine has alcohol, but the amount of alcohol in a cookie would be next to nill.

I will say I have NOT DRANK any alcoholic BEVERAGES. Nor have I cooked with beer or wine. Is that more clear? :rolleyes:

Can't speak for that soup at Coral Reef... I don't do seafood ;)

Well, its one of those "if one drop of alcohol is too much, one drop is too much" things. I'm trying to point out the ludicrousness of the "one drop" statement. If you'll eat a cookie, what is the difference between that and a something with a small amount of cooked beer or wine in it. That's not a beverage either.

(My understanding is that very religious Muslims and Mormons won't eat anything with vanilla extract in it because it violates the one drop rule).

Well, its one of those "if one drop of alcohol is too much, one drop is too much" things. I'm trying to point out the ludicrousness of the "one drop" statement. If you'll eat a cookie, what is the difference between that and a something with a small amount of cooked beer or wine in it. That's not a beverage either.

(My understanding is that very religious Muslims and Mormons won't eat anything with vanilla extract in it because it violates the one drop rule).
I see your point, but why did you try to make it wtih me who doesn't think it is wrong to have a drink while pregnant? That part made absolutely NO sense to me at all!

I was just stating while I have no issue with it, I haven't had a drink. So I don't get why you felt like you had to pick on me with something so trivial :confused3

You should be O.K., but make sure you contact your lawyer right after the birth!:rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter