• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My question about rented ECV’s

If you wvwrr have an issue with Gold Mobility, just call them, they will generally be there within 30 minutes with a new scooter.
We had 4 scooters out from Gold and never had a single issue. They even spent the time explaining operation and charging to each person in our group. They did mention they have truck in the area and the typical response time is 30 minutes if we ever had a problem. None of us ever had a problem so we never needed to call.

Can i make use of the thread to ask if ANY of the scooter rentals companies includes theft insurance? I checked with Randy's mobility and they do not cover theft. From GOLD i cannot make it out on their website. But i doubt it. Am i the only one worried about this? I feel we will be leaving the scooter unattended at the parks on many occasions when going on rides or eating in restaurants. You will obviously take the key with but if you put the scooter manually in 'free' then you can easily push it away and walk off with it. So if anyone knows if GOLD offers theft insurance or if any other scooter hire business does....then please let me know.

Gold is the only one that does offer theft insurance as far as I am aware and yes, it is included. If you look at their Facebook page, they mention it frequently that they offer theft and damage insurance and it is included in their price, not extra like many other companies.

This is from the Terms and Conditions page on Gold Mobility's website ( ********************************/pages/terms-and-conditions ); I would suggest contacting them for details if interested in renting from them.

Theft and Damage Insurance

Gold Mobility Scooters LLC. offers our Renter's a Free damage waiver, Free theft insurance, and accidental damage insurance at time of rental. Zero Deductible. For questions regarding this coverage feel free to review policies, specific coverages, exclusions, and limitations. All insurance products or waivers will terminate, and are void in their entirety if the Equipment and any included accessories are not returned by the designated date and time on the original rental contract.

Can i make use of the thread to ask if ANY of the scooter rentals companies includes theft insurance? I checked with Randy's mobility and they do not cover theft. From GOLD i cannot make it out on their website. But i doubt it. Am i the only one worried about this? I feel we will be leaving the scooter unattended at the parks on many occasions when going on rides or eating in restaurants. You will obviously take the key with but if you put the scooter manually in 'free' then you can easily push it away and walk off with it. So if anyone knows if GOLD offers theft insurance or if any other scooter hire business does....then please let me know.

I understand your concern (I had it myself initially) but here's what I want you to know:

First of all, in all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had exactly *1* scooter that was "stolen" - and that turned out to be a case of "mistaken identity" where another person who had rented the exact same model of scooter had driven away with our friend's scooter quite by accident. Eventually the situation was sorted, and the "stolen" scooter was swapped for the correct one... so I guess you could say it wasn't actually "stolen" at all!

The reasons that more scooters (and strollers, and wheelchairs, and other stuff) isn't stolen at WDW are actually kind of simple when you stop and think about it for a bit. I think the first and biggest deterrent is the cost of a ticket; anyone looking to steal something to resell for a quick buck has plenty of other places around Orlando to steal from that don't cost in excess of $100 per day to get into. Next is the fact that Disney has a heavy security presence at the front of every Park (as well as at Disney Springs) and that probably keeps away a certain sort of petty thief as well. They want to do their business with the least possible chance of getting caught. Last, but certainly not least is the fact that Disney has security cameras (and other security measures) in place to deter and deal with Guest issues.

If you are really concerned, go online and buy either a Tile or an AirTag, (which one is "better" is a personal decision for the user, and is another topic for another post somewhere else) and hide it somewhere on the rental scooter. You can then check on it with your phone, and if it happens to "move" (a CM moves it around to help create/keep pathways clear) you will be able to locate it yourself quicker. Or, you can go lo-tech, and as I have recommended for years and years... you can just tie a brightly colored length of ribbon on it in a visible location (like the handlebars, or the basket) or a brightly colored bandana.

Don't worry! And have fun! 🙂

Thanks all for the reply. Good point to tie something bright to it or even better a tracker. I have 1 laying at home. Might just take it with!

I understand your concern (I had it myself initially) but here's what I want you to know:

First of all, in all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had exactly *1* scooter that was "stolen" - and that turned out to be a case of "mistaken identity" where another person who had rented the exact same model of scooter had driven away with our friend's scooter quite by accident. Eventually the situation was sorted, and the "stolen" scooter was swapped for the correct one... so I guess you could say it wasn't actually "stolen" at all!

The reasons that more scooters (and strollers, and wheelchairs, and other stuff) isn't stolen at WDW are actually kind of simple when you stop and think about it for a bit. I think the first and biggest deterrent is the cost of a ticket; anyone looking to steal something to resell for a quick buck has plenty of other places around Orlando to steal from that don't cost in excess of $100 per day to get into. Next is the fact that Disney has a heavy security presence at the front of every Park (as well as at Disney Springs) and that probably keeps away a certain sort of petty thief as well. They want to do their business with the least possible chance of getting caught. Last, but certainly not least is the fact that Disney has security cameras (and other security measures) in place to deter and deal with Guest issues.

If you are really concerned, go online and buy either a Tile or an AirTag, (which one is "better" is a personal decision for the user, and is another topic for another post somewhere else) and hide it somewhere on the rental scooter. You can then check on it with your phone, and if it happens to "move" (a CM moves it around to help create/keep pathways clear) you will be able to locate it yourself quicker. Or, you can go lo-tech, and as I have recommended for years and years... you can just tie a brightly colored length of ribbon on it in a visible location (like the handlebars, or the basket) or a brightly colored bandana.

Don't worry! And have fun! 🙂
Unfortunately this used to be the case, but DH has spoken with at least 5 people who had their scooter stolen (actually stolen, not mistaken identity) in the past 6 months. In all cases though they parked them outside their hotel room over night to charge and no, Disney didn't take them somewhere, they were legitimately stolen. But the point is that it is becoming an issue, sadly.

Unfortunately this used to be the case, but DH has spoken with at least 5 people who had their scooter stolen (actually stolen, not mistaken identity) in the past 6 months. In all cases though they parked them outside their hotel room over night to charge and no, Disney didn't take them somewhere, they were legitimately stolen. But the point is that it is becoming an issue, sadly.

That I would believe - the number of people who don't want to put the scooter in their room is startling, and Disney is doing nothing to enforce their own rules as far as I can see. There were a couple of ECVs parked in the hall of our building, and they were routinely parked out far enough in the hall (presumably so that the user could plug in the unit to charge) that they impeded traffic. I did let the front desk know about 1 of the units that was regularly parked more than 3 feet away from the wall. As far as we could tell, nothing ever came of it.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who parks their ECV outside their hotel room, and then has a problem with it either being tampered with, or outright stolen. I would also like to see the rental companies help the situation by telling users that they must store the unit in their hotel room.

Scooters aren't supposed to be parked in the hall. In a sense they were abandoned. I have no idea if they were literally stolen or if they were moved by an irate guest and not located.

We heard the theft issues before our last trip from several people. Thats was one of the reasons I booked with Gold Mobility. Their scooter rentals all included damage and theft insurance with no deductible built in the rental price. All 4 of us are on fixed incomes and could not afford the surprise replacement cost of the scooter or even the big deductibles. After a bit of research some other companies offered insurance for additional cost, but mostly had large deductibles or limited coverage. I suggest to everyone renting mobility scooters to make sure you have full insurance coverage with your rental no matter what company you end up with. Make sure it actually covers the scooters 100%.

I don't know terms and exclusions on Golds theft policy. Leaving the scooter, for hours, in an area not allowed could be an exclusion

The last time I rented from Buena Vista scooters (was at CSR a few years back) I turned in the scooter at the bell services like usual for pickup. I got a call after I got home from BV asking "where is my scooter?" Of course that freaked me out. They said they couldn't locate it and it wasn't picked up from CSR, etc. I tried following up with them but they never called me back so I guess they found it. This is one reason I don't mind doing the pickup/dropoff in person. If you do rent from Scooterbug and leave with bell services perhaps ask for a receipt or if you can take a pic with the person you dropped it off with.

This question makes me wonder if companies like Gold put a tracker somewhere on their rentals now so they can find them.

Scooters aren't supposed to be parked in the hall. In a sense they were abandoned. I have no idea if they were literally stolen or if they were moved by an irate guest and not located.
Many of these were at places like Old Key West, where they weren't in the way due to the design, they were in little alcoves and such. But I agree they aren't supposed to be parked in the hallways.

I don't know terms and exclusions on Golds theft policy. Leaving the scooter, for hours, in an area not allowed could be an exclusion
In general they don't really do exclusions, unless you are trying to intentionally cheat them, for example making an intentionally false claim that a scooter was stolen, then they probably would and should go after the person making such a claim.

The last time I rented from Buena Vista scooters (was at CSR a few years back) I turned in the scooter at the bell services like usual for pickup. I got a call after I got home from BV asking "where is my scooter?" Of course that freaked me out. They said they couldn't locate it and it wasn't picked up from CSR, etc. I tried following up with them but they never called me back so I guess they found it. This is one reason I don't mind doing the pickup/dropoff in person. If you do rent from Scooterbug and leave with bell services perhaps ask for a receipt or if you can take a pic with the person you dropped it off with.

This question makes me wonder if companies like Gold put a tracker somewhere on their rentals now so they can find them.

Also: watch Bell Services log the scooter into the log as being returned. I do like your idea of the picture.

Well that would explain them randomly showing up inside the theme parks, and asking us how our rental is going. they stoped twice check to see if we had and questions or needed any assistance. How else would they find us? Great customer service either way.

Well that would explain them randomly showing up inside the theme parks, and asking us how our rental is going. they stoped twice check to see if we had and questions or needed any assistance. How else would they find us? Great customer service either way.
Actually, before they added trackers (and yes, they have as far as I am aware) they would find us all the time. If they have extra people, i.e. during slow times, they have them go around the parks and if they see someone who is say having a problem with a scooter (rented from them or not), they try to help them or if someone can't find an accessible entrance, they help out. For example, one time a person came in their own power chair, wanted to ride spaceship earth and asked the cast member at the entrance where to go and they just vaguely pointed in the direction of the exit and said that way, they couldn't find it and went back a second time to another CM with similar experience and ended up getting so frustrated, they were crying (keep in mind they had never been to Disney World before and this was the first attraction they were trying to go on for the trip) and about to leave the park when someone from Gold Mobility saw them and asked what was going on. They then took them to the correct location and at that time had just finished putting together a very detailed guidebook with pictures (all taken on stage and in guest areas) of where to go and gave it to them. Sadly, because of the pictures Disney will no longer let them hand out the guidebook, even before arrival. And no, they never charged even so much as a penny for the guidebook. But Disney asked them to stop and they immediately complied.

I suspect that lately they haven't been able to do that as much because of how busy they have been, but you get the idea.

Actually, before they added trackers (and yes, they have as far as I am aware) they would find us all the time. If they have extra people, i.e. during slow times, they have them go around the parks and if they see someone who is say having a problem with a scooter (rented from them or not), they try to help them or if someone can't find an accessible entrance, they help out. For example, one time a person came in their own power chair, wanted to ride spaceship earth and asked the cast member at the entrance where to go and they just vaguely pointed in the direction of the exit and said that way, they couldn't find it and went back a second time to another CM with similar experience and ended up getting so frustrated, they were crying (keep in mind they had never been to Disney World before and this was the first attraction they were trying to go on for the trip) and about to leave the park when someone from Gold Mobility saw them and asked what was going on. They then took them to the correct location and at that time had just finished putting together a very detailed guidebook with pictures (all taken on stage and in guest areas) of where to go and gave it to them. Sadly, because of the pictures Disney will no longer let them hand out the guidebook, even before arrival. And no, they never charged even so much as a penny for the guidebook. But Disney asked them to stop and they immediately complied.

I suspect that lately they haven't been able to do that as much because of how busy they have been, but you get the idea.

Thats above and beyond customer service you rarely see more. I can see them doing that, so very helpful and accommodating. I read pages of reviews before renting them and was amazed that out of thousands of feedback posts I couldn't find a negative comment about them anywhere.

I've rented from Scooterbug in the past and had an issue with the battery disconnecting. I had to call and then they brought me a replacement.
My friend also rented from Scooterbug and her ECV died while in the parks so we had to call and get it replaced because it wouldn't hold a charge. They cam e within the hour.

I'm staying with them primarily because I don't need to be there in person to receive the ECV. I'm hoping I have no major issues but I set it up so I receive the ECV a day before I'm going into the parks so I can do a test run at Disney Springs. Depending on how this trip goes (leaving in 2 days), I may switch over to Gold Mobility for next year's trip.

As far as people stealing - I only left my ECV in the first floor of our building at GF once but have since learned it's not a good idea. It wasn't stolen but I was definitely concerned about it. The elevators are tiny at GF so trying to put the ECV in was stressful. When we moved over to CSR, we parked them in our rooms. I'm staying at Poly this next time and really hope I get a 1st floor room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter