My experience & recommendations as a Non wheelchair using physically disabled guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks but I think I understood perfectly. As unbelievable as some may find it to be there are people in this world who manage to still love flawed & imperfect family members and manage to include them in their lives without resentment... Some even cherish time with them and happily bend as I did every moment of raising my kids, it's what I gave them and now what they give me: It's called love, imagine that

I'm sorry if my question stirred up any controversy. We went with my MIL in 2009. She has diabetes with neuropathy, a cancer survivor, a back thing (spine is starting to curve), and a few other things. Anyhow, we didn't think about asking for a GAC or anything as she isn't/wasn't thought of as disabled. We were with my 3 year old, so we also toured early morning mostly and did half days. However, for Epcot and one other day, we ended up just renting a wheelchair. I'm not sure how a GAC would have helped her fatigue any better?
I guess I am so used to going with people who don't have a disability (toddlers or my mother in law) but who fatigue easily and have some urgent needs that I am just used to touring in ways that minimize waiting and walking

I do love hearing your experience on the cruise line. I'm trying to convince my ILs to let us take them on vacation for their 50th, but my FIL in particular worries that my MIL can't keep up.

Smiths02 , no worries, it's not you- every situation is different so if there is a fundamental respect that people actually know what's best for them there is no need to explain it.

I would totally suggest to please take some time and look at the dimensions and information about the cruise ships. I very carefully considered what I was looking at because a wheelchair could be part of my future although it's not definite. The corridors are narrow however it seems like the corner or the corridors are where they put the handicap rooms which are attached to very large maneuverable spaces near the elevators. We did sneak a peek in at the handicapped rooms and they were very spacious so if you think a wheelchair could be appropriate then I wouldn't hesitate, a person could move around in one- it is a very sensitive arrangement. With truncated dimensions on the ship it may well be that your mom wouldn't even need to use one, everything was reachable with a few hundred paces plus and elevator:) so if she relishes her independence, like most people do, she may really enjoy the setup. The nice thing is if she's not feeling well room service is free so she doesn't 'need' to leave, at the buffet area there seems to be around the clock dining near the pool so if her days going to little bit wonky she can eat what she wants and that's all there is to it . Castaway Cay had beach friendly wheelchairs for the sand so that was pretty amazing too. I'm sure there are other accommodations that were not visible to me as well.

I have to say I was very impressed with everything about it. I'm in remission right now So I'm feeling pretty great but even if I wasn't I think I could manage a cruise ship. That's the thing of having issues, you never know if you're going to have a good day or bad day so that itself causes trouble, I find myself unwilling to commit to something I don't know if I can follow through on. With this I think I can plan out with some degree of certainty and I really really like that

I hope you can convince your family to go it's a shame that people give up things they love because they love their independence more.

I can't speak for OP but with me, I'm not bad enough yet to use a wc at home, therefore, I don't own one. It's an extra expense to rent one and when you are on a budget every penny counts. I was lucky to get to go to WDW by presenting my husband with a bare bones minimum budget. When I found out that I would not be able to get a DAS, (I'm over it, not complaining, just explaining possible perspectives) I was a little peeved that I'd have to spend extra money to rent one for the duration of my trip. Luckily, I found out my dad had a rollator I could borrow so I'm set. you can rent off site for less expense. furthermore many Thrift stores have wheelchairs still in decent condition to purchase uber cheap.. I just had my husband drop off my first one as we are moving ( on Monday, yikes) form TX to FL. It was originally a gift from a friend whose mother no longer needed it. Many insurances will also cover the cost all or part. Fatigue can be managed in many different ays but Disney( anyone) onlyhas to offer one. totem ECVs and WCs offer the broadest coverage that will accomodate the most people. I don't need mine at home for 95% of daily life either, but you can bet your last nickel I will be using it later this morning as I tour the San Antonio Zoo for the last time and feed my Lorries( they see me coming and fight over who gets to perch on various spots on the WC) This way I get to NOT over do it, be a helluva lot happier and NOT burst into tears and feel guilty about slowing down my spouse.

My sister chose to work part time and do as much as she could to take care of herself. She did not have the stamina to work full time, but wanted to not totally give up and be able to do something for herself. She was denied disability, despite opinions of degreed doctors because it's all or nothing. Either you can work or you can't. It's that mentality that bothers me. We make people give up more of their control and power and ownership than we should. Disney is kind of doing that to the ones who are not yet totally disabled, but just need a little assistance. utter crap. No organization/ theme park/whatever is doing that. it's all in how you perceive their perfectly legal within ADA and REASONABLE response to the requirements of the ADA. just because you don't like the options does not mean they are taking anything away from your independence I was a CNA in the past and the LAST thing we do to a patient is counsel them to give up and give in to their physical disabilities (depending on what they are and what's causing them, of course.) Exercise and movement is a good thing for many disabilities and sitting in a wc all day is the LAST thing they should be doing. again, utter crap. it is up to US to temper need and expectations and advice. no one is strapping you down to a WC or ECV and not letting you up out of it for 12 hours a day. I transfer to most rides still. I will leave it by the door and walk to my table at the restaurant. I fold it up and push it around the gift shops. It stays in my room when we are at the resort for the most part. even the larger ones like AK( and yes i walked from Jambo to Kidani and back one evening for dinner)

BUT, I do understand the nightmare that Disney has been through and would go through if they allowed every Tom, Dick and Harry to come in and claim what they shouldn't. So in the end, it's not Disney that's doing it, but the dishonest folks out there. Once I got over my annoyance (it helped that my dad had a rollator) I just went on forward making the best of the situation.

Hope that helps you to see another perspective.

let me tell you something: I resisted ... vehemently ... for years. and then I said Eff It and caved in. and my QoL IMPROVED a thousand fold just by accepting the limitations other people were trying to impose upon me. I still can't get disability and I still cannot work although now that he's retired our income level may actually drop enough that I can get a pittance. I am lucky enough to have damn cheap and VERY comprehensive medical care/insurance as a spouse of a Military Retiree so at least I don't have to clog up Medicaid/Medicare

Thanks but I think I understood perfectly. As unbelievable as some may find it to be there are people in this world who manage to still love flawed & imperfect family members and manage to include them in their lives without resentment... Some even cherish time with them and happily bend as I did every moment of raising my kids, it's what I gave them and now what they give me: It's called love, imagine that
Actually, it is quite clear that you are not understanding at all.

My questions regarding what WDW could offer as an accommodation for stamina/fatigue that would be better than a mobility device and how the GAC dealt with it better were not meant to be combative, but truly serious.

My DD is autistic and we get a DAS to help her. Thanks to FP+, we use the DAS less than 2 times per day on average. I have severe plantar fasciitis that really flares up when we are at WDW with all the walking and standing in line. The first couple days of the trip I can usually get along fine okay as long as we take an afternoon break to rest, but later in the trip I'll be in pain all day even with breaks. There are times I'll be near tears and barely able to stand. The DAS we use for my daughter in no way assists me to tour the park with less pain. It doesn't lessen the amount of walking we do, and if anything it might actually increase the amount of walking since we have to go to an attraction to get a RT and then walk back to the same attraction to ride when our RT is ready. I've told DD (somewhat jokingly) that after all the years I pushed her around in a stroller, she might need to pay me back by pushing me in a wheelchair.

So I'm just at a loss for what accommodation WDW could offer that would help other than some type of mobility device because that's the only option I can think of. For now, I take large doses of ibprofen, ice my feet at night, and do the stretches my doctor recommends.

let me tell you something: I resisted ... vehemently ... for years. and then I said Eff It and caved in. and my QoL IMPROVED a thousand fold just by accepting the limitations other people were trying to impose upon me. I still can't get disability and I still cannot work although now that he's retired our income level may actually drop enough that I can get a pittance. I am lucky enough to have damn cheap and VERY comprehensive medical care/insurance as a spouse of a Military Retiree so at least I don't have to clog up Medicaid/Medicare
It all depends on what the disability is. My disability gets worse by lack of use. Yours might be different or more advanced. My point is when others make decisions despite the knowledge of the person with the disability or the doctors treating it. Once again, I do believe that Disney does as well as they are able and I'm grateful for it. Your level of pain is rated only by you and you alone. My pain would not be held at bay by sitting in a wc, but would get worse. You are different than me and that's fine.

It all depends on what the disability is. My disability gets worse by lack of use. Yours might be different or more advanced. My point is when others make decisions despite the knowledge of the person with the disability or the doctors treating it. Once again, I do believe that Disney does as well as they are able and I'm grateful for it. Your level of pain is rated only by you and you alone. My pain would not be held at bay by sitting in a wc, but would get worse. You are different than me and that's fine.

I know i said that I was done with this tread but I would like to point something out here is why disney stop using the GAC and is telling people with mobility stanam issues to use a wheel chair http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/ next time any one is at the parks look around at how many people are in wheel chars ECV if they gave out DAS card for them the FP lines would be longer they would have to cut down on how many FP they could give out an hour making them harder to get making more people need aid meaning more wheel chairs and then you get the picture. for some disabilities like mine a DAS card is the only thing that would work ( and if I find something else I would be happy to use it) I do not have any problems standing or walking that is not any issue ( unless my medical problem is bad and then I normally go from fine to being in the back of a anbilince in a matter a few minute) I rested the use of the DAS when I first when I do not want to use it I fought the use of it until it got to much until I was beyond miserable it ruined my vacation and I did not want to come out of my room for days ( I had to since I was down on a scollership for a conference) my room mate and I fought because I did not use the tool disney had for me I told my self I was never going back to disney then after the conference someone convinced me to go and use the tole disney had for my disability and let me tell you it was night and day yes I had problems but they were so much miner then 5 days before yes there was a learning curve with what I needed and what disney provided me is it perfect no there are still things I can not do ( one day I will meet peter pan) but is disney doable for me now you bet it is.
remember disney has to look at things as a whole we only see things form our paint of view this is any disney tells people with mobility problems to use a mobility aid it is up to the person to decide how to use it wether they push it and sit in it some or leave it in the land they are in and use it when they need it or use it 100% of the time. just like disney tell me with my disability here is a DAS card I can chose to sue it how I see fit for my disabilities

I think just as the OP was giving other option we were giving the OP the option of using a mobility device to enhance a vacation that was already good and it seemed to me I was along with other was shoot down for offering such a suggestion.

I know i said that I was done with this tread but I would like to point something out here is why disney stop using the GAC and is telling people with mobility stanam issues to use a wheel chair http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/ next time any one is at the parks look around at how many people are in wheel chars ECV if they gave out DAS card for them the FP lines would be longer they would have to cut down on how many FP they could give out an hour making them harder to get making more people need aid meaning more wheel chairs and then you get the picture. for some disabilities like mine a DAS card is the only thing that would work ( and if I find something else I would be happy to use it) I do not have any problems standing or walking that is not any issue ( unless my medical problem is bad and then I normally go from fine to being in the back of a anbilince in a matter a few minute) I rested the use of the DAS when I first when I do not want to use it I fought the use of it until it got to much until I was beyond miserable it ruined my vacation and I did not want to come out of my room for days ( I had to since I was down on a scollership for a conference) my room mate and I fought because I did not use the tool disney had for me I told my self I was never going back to disney then after the conference someone convinced me to go and use the tole disney had for my disability and let me tell you it was night and day yes I had problems but they were so much miner then 5 days before yes there was a learning curve with what I needed and what disney provided me is it perfect no there are still things I can not do ( one day I will meet peter pan) but is disney doable for me now you bet it is.
remember disney has to look at things as a whole we only see things form our paint of view this is any disney tells people with mobility problems to use a mobility aid it is up to the person to decide how to use it wether they push it and sit in it some or leave it in the land they are in and use it when they need it or use it 100% of the time. just like disney tell me with my disability here is a DAS card I can chose to sue it how I see fit for my disabilities

I think just as the OP was giving other option we were giving the OP the option of using a mobility device to enhance a vacation that was already good and it seemed to me I was along with other was shoot down for offering such a suggestion.

You are absolutely right! Disney is doing what they are required to do and how one chooses to use the devices available or the DAS pass for the betterment of their trip is up to them. And their attitude can make or break it. It's in their best interest to make the best of their situation because life is not perfect for anybody. Lines are a part of life and we are required to wait in them in many other situations other than theme parks. We are required to take our turn and I think what the theme parks have come up with is fair for all. Also, though, if a person does not wish to use a mobility device and chooses to accommodate themselves in other ways, that is great too and a mobility device should not be shoved down their throat nor should offense be taken if suggestions to use that device are not embraced. That is what I think the OP was conveying to everyone was options for someone who does not feel that a mobility device is what they want.

There is a journey one takes as they begin navigating this process. It sometimes takes awhile for people to wrap their heads around how to deal with their growing physical or mental discomfort. We should all help each other and be patient with each other as we all try to figure out what is the best options we can use within each of our very individualized circumstances and if someone doesn't take our suggestion, that's ok!

I think there may be a misunderstanding of what people are trying to say about the impact on family members. My 15yo has pain issues. It's unbelievably hard to watch a loved one in pain. We try to not show how much it upsets us to see them hurting when there's nothing we can do to help but trust me, it's hard to watch because of how much we love them. My family doesn't care that we do shorter days and can't go to parks every day of our vacations because of the multiple disabilities that we're dealing with. We do care a lot about seeing loved ones in pain. I think that's where people are coming from when they say to consider how your pain is impacting your loved ones.

As to wheelchair vs DAS, here's my experience. We've used both for different reasons. My 18 year old is autistic. My 15 year old has severe anxiety and crowds can trigger it (last summer during a non-Disney vacation we had to leave several places because of it, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about). We get a DAS for these issues. My 15 year old also has a physical disability which causes severe pain from too much walking as well as from not enough walking. She cannot sit in a wheelchair all day but she can't walk the parks. We get her a wheelchair and park it periodically with the strollers (ex. entering a land we might do an attraction or two without it then she'll hop back in for the rest of the land). The DAS does help some with keeping us away from crowds some but a solid touring plan, FP+, and actually believe or not, the wheelchair help far more (the wheelchair allows us to be in less crowded areas in waiting areas for shows and it gives her a bit of a barrier when walking through crowds). We went Christmas to NY in 2014 and only used the DAS maybe 4 times over a 10 night trip. It really didn't help us that much since we had a really solid plan and used FP+ well. The DAS cannot shorten distances between attractions. The DAS cannot shorten lines that are 1/4 mile long. Before we understood about her physical issues, she was in significantly more pain even using the DAS and touring plans and we were carrying her by the end of the day, and I'm talking days that end after an early lunch because our autistic daughter can't handle any more than that. I don't understand how the DAS could help with her physical pain. This is a 15 year old so being a teen she's likely to get dirty looks and wrong assumptions from people seeing her getting in and out of the chair and she's a lot younger than OP, but it really is our best option for her by far. There is no age where it's appropriate. And really, the part time use of the wheelchair if you want the same kind of 10 day vacation does work well.

Wheelchair rentals are not expensive, and there might even be a local organization in your area which can help (we have one which loans wheelchairs for free for temporary use and we're in a small town). I realize that some people are on a much tighter budget than us, but there are ways to cut corners to find a bit of money in the budget. One less TS meal can cover the cost. Pack sandwiches for the parks and buy inexpensive microwaveable meals for the hotel (they can be heated in the food court's microwave) instead of eating QS if you're budget is really tight.

I'm glad the OP found an option that works for her. Finding what works for your family is super important. I'm just trying to help others who still want that trip which is entirely WDW.

But this whole space is devoted to completely WDW trips for every sort of person OTHER than people like me so it's not original to do a thread with wheelchair/ with autism spectrum/ without anything. What is original is the notion of marrying different forms to make it work for non wheelchair using handicapped persons because believe me, I looked and found nothing and so I did this myself and I'm sharing because With all the people with MS, arthritis, ALS, fibromyalgia, cancer and on & on plus thousands more. There are lots of people who are on the disabled spectrum that are not represented.

I'm not interested in being told over and over that if I just change myself into someone I am not then I will be tolerated in a pre existing slot in this world. Where have we heard that before? Just like all the other misfits in the world, I'll make my own way thanks.

Not to be corny but to quote the band Lourdes, "I'm kind of over being told to thow my hands up in the air, so there."

Everybody here is happy that you've found something that works for you. And, we're also grateful that you've shared your experience. Nobody is diminishing that. What we're trying to do is share other options. The option that you found works is VERY expensive. A lot of people cannot afford a cruise and do WDW on a budget. For those who do not use a wheelchair in everyday life but have physical disabilities which make distances difficult but can't sit all day, a wheelchair part time is the only solution which any of us can think of which will allow for a 100% WDW trip. I personally shared our other disabilities to demonstrate that I do have experience with the DAS plus I have experience with a person with the exact type of physical problem you've described so I have first hand experience with what these different accommodations can do for this type of physical disability and explaining why I can't see how the DAS can help with this type of disability. Dismiss it all you want but I'm offering a possible solution that does allow somebody to tour the way you used to be able to tour. I wouldn't want people reading this to think that somebody with this type of physical disability has no choice but to split their trip with an expensive cruise. There are other options. I'm not saying that this is the only option as you've very well explained how your option worked really well for you and I'm sure it would also work for others who can take a cruise, but many people will need another option.

I've read many threads about people just like you. You just didn't like the suggestions.

this was the first time I've been to WDW since they stopped supporting disabled with anything other than ''we have wheelchairs' or whatever it is they call them. I won't go into detail but my son 18 & daughter 17 did not react positively to the cast member telling me to get a wheelchair.

Getting on with it: So in the past we used to go and spend 10 days min at WDW with daily parks but due to concerns over changes I read about here I went with 2 days front end, a cruise in the middle and hoping for 2 days at back end with a day by day sort of vibe so I didn't push it. We also went this past week, off season, to limit the demands on me plus discomfort of heat.

Overall Recommendation, I'd say it's doable for people like me as long as you prepare your party for the concessions and pace yourself. I think the spacing out is key, if you can do the cruise, if it's too expensive, and it is expensive, then split time with pool days or beach days to rest in between. Since they don't have non expiring pass options any more resist the urge to buy too much up front. Instead buy the minimum and add days as you go at the resort lobby, nothing worse than feeling bad about a handicap and kicking yourself over lost money.

When the cast member told you to get a wheelchair, was it when you were requesting a DAS? Would a DAS allow you to do ten days at the parks? How?

Are you serious? My family loves me and doesn't consider supporting me and keeping me company to be punishment, wow... I am stunned you would even think it much less say it. Glad I got the family I did, suddenly feeling very very very blessed for mine and grateful you are not in the mix

I'm glad they make you feel that way - but how do you feel about them giving up so much for you, when a mobility device would probably solve a lot of your issues?

Please everyone keep in mind that what you read may not be meant in the voice you are reading it.
The majority of people are trying to be helpful and if you don't like their advice, you don't have to take it.
Please don't 'shoot the messenger' though if you disagree with what other posters are writing.

A lot of people, including many posters on this thread, have experience with being a person with a physical disability not using a wheelchair. Some of them decided based on their experience of NOT using a wheelchair that USING a wheelchair/ECV was the best choice for them going forward.

People do have different ways of handling things, but in many cases a mobility device would be a good choice. It's a tool to help with walking or stamina, no different than using glasses to help with seeing. I realize there is maybe more of a 'stigma' to using a mobility device for many people, but I live with a person who can't move at all without her wheelchair. For her, it's freedom.

I have a close family member who has MS. Most of the time, he doesn't need any special accommodation, but after a number of days walking at WDW, he does get to the limit of his abilities. He could have gotten an ECV, but so far, he hasn't. He's chosen to take more days off than the rest of the group during the trip instead. He realizes he could do more with a mobility device, but chooses not to use one.

We traveled several trips with my mom, who had cancer. The first few times, she was feeling good and was able to walk. She chose to separate her WDW park days. The last 2 trips would not have been possible without a wheelchair. We chose to take turns pushing her since she didn't feel comfortable with an ECV.

We went on several trips with a good friend who has very painful arthritis in his knees. Because he's relatively young, his doctors don't want to do knee replacements yet. It's painful to watch him in the parks because we can see the pain he's in. We love him and don't want him to be in pain, but in several visits with him, he's chosen not to use an ECV. He lives with pain all the time, and for the most part, has chosen not use an ECV, even though he has said he knew it would help him to avoid pain and enjoy his day more. On one trip, he did use an ECV, but only at the resort, not the parks.

We've also traveled with a younger family where the husband fell off a roof and broke almost every bone in his feet and ankles. He's got screws that have worked their way out of the bone and are threatening to poke thru his skin. He also knew an ECV could help him, but chose not to use one.

Then there was my father in law, with severe arthritis in his knees and hips. We traveled to WDW with my in laws for over 20 years and watched as his 'world' shrunk. He did better alternating sitting and walking and liked to push my daughter's wheelchair because pushing it took some pressure off his knees and hips.
He started out by walking bench to bench, then pretty much only where he could get by using the WDW transportation. And, ending the day early with painkillers and ice on his knees for the evening. He loved Illuminations and the evening parade, but stopped seeing them because he was in too much pain by that point.
We knew how many of the attractions at WDW he loved and was missing and it hurt to know he could no longer enjoy the things he loved with his grandchildren because he couldn't walk that far.
We were very willing to wait for him (and told him so many times), but he told us to go on without them because he didn't want to hold us back.
He 'flirted' with the idea of renting an ECV at the parks for several years before he actually did it at Epcot for the first time. That day, for the first time in years, he was able to last the whole day and watch Illuminations.
When we got back to our resort that day, he said it was the first trip to WDW in about 10 years when he wasn't in pain at the end of the day. He said that he couldn't believe how "silly and vain" (his words, not mine) he had been to wait so long to use one. He said he felt like everyone would look at him on the ECV and judge him as "not disabled enough" to use one. But, he also said that until then, he didn't realize how much not using a 'tool' that could help him had cost him. For the last 5 years of his life, he did rent an ECV at the parks and had 5 years of wonderful visits.

My youngest daughter is disabled and can't walk or even stand.
She also has other needs related to her disabilities that are not met by the wheelchair, so she does use DAS and used GAC before it. Despite traveling with us and DD who was using GAC/DAS, that was not enough for any of the people I talked about above. The distance walked is not really different with DAS or GAC and distance was the issue for all of them.
We don't consider our daughter or any of the people we have traveled with to be a burden. We do what we need to do to make the trip as wonderful as possible. Sometimes that means one or more of us staying back with our daughter because she's not up to going to the park that day.
But, sometimes it means watching people who are in pain and/or missing things they want to do. That's painful for all of us simply because we do care a great deal about these people and don't want to see them in pain.

no one is telling you that if you rent a wheel chair you have to sit in it all the time you can chose to sit or push it or leave it some where while you go with out ( and this is with any mobility device) someone who dose not do well with crowded areas, people touching them, sounds, lights,and some other things. really can not use a mobility device to accommodate them and please do not say that a wheel chair will give your more space.

everyone can chose if they would like to use the accommodation disney is offering them or like the OP you can chose not too I think people when they are reading replies to a post they put is that other people read them too and if some one with a mobility problem came on and saw wow disney will not give out a DAS card I have a mobility disability and I can not walk the hole day so I can not do disney when in reality they can with a wheel chair or another device. maybe the OP did not know that if you have a wheel chair that dose not mean you have to use/ sit it all the time

I really do not know why the OP was taking such offense to the idea of using a mobility device so that she could do the parks how she used to ( 10 days) why her children reacted so bad when the CM suggested it. I do have may ideas.

Please everyone keep in mind that what you read may not be meant in the voice you are reading it.
The majority of people are trying to be helpful and if you don't like their advice, you don't have to take it.
Please don't 'shoot the messenger' though if you disagree with what other posters are writing.

A lot of people, including many posters on this thread, have experience with being a person with a physical disability not using a wheelchair. Some of them decided based on their experience of NOT using a wheelchair that USING a wheelchair/ECV was the best choice for them going forward.

People do have different ways of handling things, but in many cases a mobility device would be a good choice. It's a tool to help with walking or stamina, no different than using glasses to help with seeing. I realize there is maybe more of a 'stigma' to using a mobility device for many people, but I live with a person who can't move at all without her wheelchair. For her, it's freedom.

I have a close family member who has MS. Most of the time, he doesn't need any special accommodation, but after a number of days walking at WDW, he does get to the limit of his abilities. He could have gotten an ECV, but so far, he hasn't. He's chosen to take more days off than the rest of the group during the trip instead.

We traveled several trips with my mom, who had cancer. The first few times, she was feeling good and was able to walk. She chose to separate her WDW park days. The last 2 trips would not have been possible without a wheelchair. We chose to take turns pushing her since she didn't feel comfortable with an ECV.

We went on several trips with a good friend who has very painful arthritis in his knees. Because he's relatively young, his doctors don't want to do knee replacements yet. It's painful to watch him in the parks because we can see the pain he's in. We love him and don't want him to be in pain, but in several visits with him, he's chosen not to use an ECV. He lives with pain all the time, and for the most part, has chosen not use an ECV, even though he has said he knew it would help. On one trip, he did use an ECV, but only at the resort, not the parks.

We've also traveled with a younger family where the husband fell off a roof and broke almost every bone in his feet and ankles. He's got screws that have worked their way out of the bone and are threatening to poke thru his skin. He also knew an ECV could help him, but chose not to use one.

Then there was my father in law, with severe arthritis in his knees and hips. We traveled to WDW with my in laws for over 20 years and watched as his 'world' shrunk. He did better alternating sitting and walking and liked to push my daughter's wheelchair because pushing it took some pressure off his knees and hips.
He started out by walking bench to bench, then pretty much only where he could get by using the WDW transportation. And, ending the day early with painkillers and ice on his knees for the evening. He loved Illuminations and the evening parade, but stopped seeing them because he was in too much pain by that point.
We knew how many of the attractions at WDW he loved and was missing and it hurt to know he could no longer enjoy the things he loved with his grandchildren because he couldn't walk that far.
We were very willing to wait for him (and told him so many times), but he told us to go on without them because he didn't want to hold us back.
He 'flirted' with the idea of renting an ECV at the parks for several years before he actually did it at Epcot for the first time. That day, for the first time in years, he was able to last the whole day and watch Illuminations.
When we got back to our resort that day, he said it was the first trip to WDW in about 10 years when he wasn't in pain at the end of the day. He said that he couldn't believe how "silly and vain" (his words, not mine) he had been to wait so long to use one. He said he felt like everyone would look at him on the ECV and judge him as "not disabled enough" to use one. But, he also said that until then, he didn't realize how much not using a 'tool' that could help him had cost him. For the last 5 years of his life, he did rent an ECV at the parks and had 5 years of wonderful visits.

My youngest daughter is disabled and can't walk or even stand.
She also has other needs related to her disabilities that are not met by the wheelchair, so she does use DAS and used GAC before it. Despite traveling with us and DD who was using GAC/DAS, that was not enough for any of the people I talked about above. The distance walked is not really different with DAS or GAC and distance was the issue for all of them.
We don't consider our daughter or any of the people we have traveled with to be a burden. We do what we need to do to make the trip as wonderful as possible. Sometimes that means one or more of us staying back with our daughter because she's not up to going to the park that day.
But, sometimes it means watching people who are in pain and/or missing things they want to do. That's painful for all of us simply because we do care a great deal about these people and don't want to see them in pain.
Thank you for "hearing" ❤️

this was the first time I've been to WDW since they stopped supporting disabled with anything other than ''we have wheelchairs' or whatever it is they call them. I won't go into detail but my son 18 & daughter 17 did not react positively to the cast member telling me to get a wheelchair.

Getting on with it: So in the past we used to go and spend 10 days min at WDW with daily parks but due to concerns over changes I read about here I went with 2 days front end, a cruise in the middle and hoping for 2 days at back end with a day by day sort of vibe so I didn't push it. We also went this past week, off season, to limit the demands on me plus discomfort of heat.

Overall Recommendation, I'd say it's doable for people like me as long as you prepare your party for the concessions and pace yourself. I think the spacing out is key, if you can do the cruise, if it's too expensive, and it is expensive, then split time with pool days or beach days to rest in between. Since they don't have non expiring pass options any more resist the urge to buy too much up front. Instead buy the minimum and add days as you go at the resort lobby, nothing worse than feeling bad about a handicap and kicking yourself over lost money.

I find the attitude about wheelchair use disconcerting. It is a device, like glasses, hearing aids, shoe inserts, leg braces, etc, that help people enjoy life. I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise, but most people find it a lot less expensive to rent a wheelchair and do 10 days at the park. I guess I just don't get what the stigma is about using a wheelchair?

Let's please respect each other's choices that work for them. Some people choose shorter vacations more often; others prefer long vacations but less frequently. Some people prefer certain times of the year -- be that "low" season or spring break or whenever. Some people wear glasses, others prefer contact lenses, while others have surgery so they don't need either of those options. Some people use a cane, others use a wheelchair. Often these are personal preferences and there is not one right or wrong way. None of us has to agree or even understand why another makes a different choice; we only need to respect they have made the choice that works for their family.

I would appreciate it if this thread stuck to the original theme of offering suggestions for Disney vacations with a disability, without repeatedly trying to "prove" one way is better than another. OP offered an alternative to a parks-only vacation that works for her family. Others may choose to vacation differently, and that is fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter