• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My ecv/scooter experience this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lady at walmart shopping one day who asked me to grab something for her and I ended up going through the store and shopping with her for a few hours :scared1: I didn't want to ask her why she was in an ECV but she eventually told me that she is just too big to walk through the big store. I enjoyed that day at walmart - one in a million :lmao: I will be sure to be respectful of those at Disney

That was very kind of you. I use my scooter everywhere. In the grocery there is always a shopper who will help me reach something high, or pass my deli selections over the deli case. The only idiot I have encountered was a young stock-man. I asked him where the refrigerated coffee creamer was. He walked over to a glass-doored case and pointed to items on the top shelf, them walked away. He heard me grumble under my breath and came back and got one down for me. He probably thought little of me, but I thought little of him - first. :sad2:

I make my dad rent a scooter every time we go - though he puts up a little fight - pride and all... He had triple bypass surgery and has a defibrilator now. He can't take walking in the heat & humidity. So - rather than risking him having another heart attack - we rent the scooter and he walks when he can. I've learned not to worry about what others think... 1 day they may be in your shoes and then they will understand, and everyone deserves to take part in the Magic of Disney!

This thread brought back a ton of memories. 2 yr ago, I ruptured the soft tissue of my right foot and wound up in the "boot" for 8 weeks. Our trip in august was in the middle of this. So I was somewhat capable of walking in the boot, for short periods > but not disney walking. Our trip was a 2 week trip and we are ap holders, so no it was not a once in a lifetime / lets do everything trip. I rented the disney evc at the parks once at epcot and once at dhs.

The Good: They are easy to use. Easy to steer and could even be considered fun in a weird way. I was not as worn out as the days chosen not to use it. It really does impact your energy level.

The Bad: All the stares, dirty looks [not sure why], people darting in front of you. Remember the [at least wdw's] evc's are slow. Trust me, I was not going to beat anyone to tower of terror. :rotfl: So why try to get in front of me :confused3 My encounter in Nemo's seas line: with the 5 yr old who harrassed me the entire line. While his parents where happy he was occupied. "give me a ride, why are you riding that" etc......" The he wanted me to run over his foot and kept putting it out for me to run over. Not sure what was up with that. It was just a very long long time / line. I so enjoyed the lady shopping at the studios who saw the boot and said " well thank god your not in an evc, I hate those people..." I told her that is why I wasn't cause of the people like her. popcorn:: Yes, I only took it twice. So our park time was very limited. 1 to 2 hours a day was about all I could do. We got a lot of pool deck time and renting pontoons at CR. We found other things to do.

Problem is now: Sis has a terrible knee and awaiting surgery > will she consider an evc or wheelchair. No, not after being with me. We go in 10 days and think I am looking at alot of pool time again.

I wish I could give everyone looking at this problem a solution. But, if someone is in it, there is a good reason for it. Please, give them the space and encouragement we all need. No one in an evc, is out to run over people, or hurt someone else. These people have medical issues and do not want to pass that on to anyone. OK, except for a few :clown::crazy: :confused3

Thanks and good luck, mky:cutie:

Please re-read my Post #10 in this thread. And ask those questions to your sister.

If an ECV makes Disney easier and more enjoyable for a guest who has a medical reason for it then they should hire one and not be bothered about what others think. I know it's easier to say this than to do it but you're unlikely to ever meet these people again and Disney is to be ejoyed regardless of whether someone is physically fit and capable of walking for hours or not.

My mum rented an ECV for MK and HS on our last trip and the trip before that. She didn't rent one every day - if she knew that she wouldn't be walking much or thought that she could manage without then she left the ECV for someone who needed it. She also insisted on parking the ECV and queueing where possible. On quite a few occasions though she would just not have been able to do some parks without one, inc. MK. It also improved the quality of time out of the parks (e.g. in the evenings) because she could still move about.

People do look at you and decide whether they think you are just lazy or not. People judged my mum the same way as she doesn't have an obvious reason for needing one. She does however struggle to walk even short distances due to damage does to her back whilst looking after my terminally ill dad so her difficulties are real even if others can't see it. She didn't want to rent one at first but realised just how much more enjoyable the parks were for her with one at times. And once she figured out where the brake was (after crashing into a wall in Fantasyland) she was courteous to others.

If you need one then rent an ECV. If my mum needs one in August I will be encouraging her to rent one again. It makes it more enjoyable and less painful for her so why not!

Just tonight I was in DL and had to wait for 4 trains to go by before I could get on. everyone else was able to get on the first train. One of them did not load me even though the wheelchair spot was empty simply because they did not want to. They checked, lied to me by telling me it was full, and then kept going.
That is awful! That CM needs some serious re-training.

I try to be courteous to ECV & wheelchair users, because if our positions were reversed I'd want them to be courteous to me. I remember on our last trip to WDW we were exiting the gift shop after a ride (can't remember which one). It was so crowded & there was an older man in an ECV who was pretty much stuck because people just kept cutting in front of him as he tried to approach the door to exit. He eventually got out but I felt so bad for him. Just let the man get out the door! I really don't understand how the 3 minutes it might take for that ECV user to get out the door is going to impact someone's day so much that they need to cut in front of him to get out first.

My husband is a diabetic and has a bad left foot. He has had multiple surgeries on it and he has to be very careful about doing too much walking. When we went the end of October 3 years ago, the parks weren't crowded and we did way too much walking because we were able to get on everything we wanted to ride. 5 days in he developed a really bad blister. He had to rent the ECV for EPCOT and AK since they are the biggest parks. He was reluctant for all the previous reasons mentioned. We ended up turning it into a fun time. He has since had surgery to shave down the bone that was causing the blisters but to be safe when we go this October, we will be renting one again for the 2 parks. I told him, I will make you a sign to hang on it that reads, "I am a diabetic with a bad foot, please don't judge me". :rotfl:

I say, do what you need to do and not worry about what others think and have a great time! :love:

For the past 3 years I have been battling cancer. I have been very blessed now that the cancer is gone. But during the times that I went to WDW, and again this year, I have rented a ECV because I get tired so quickly. I have had people give me the "evil eye" when it comes to getting on the buses and while waiting in lines. I don't really care what people think because I am there for them to get angry with!

My DM and DAunt are go to WDW to celebrate my Mom's 75th birthday. My DAunt will have had knee surgery four weeks prior. She will need an ECV for the duration of the trip. Can you please PM me the company from whom you rented the scooter? Thanks! :goodvibes

My DM and DAunt are go to WDW to celebrate my Mom's 75th birthday. My DAunt will have had knee surgery four weeks prior. She will need an ECV for the duration of the trip. Can you please PM me the company from whom you rented the scooter? Thanks! :goodvibes

Walker, Randy, Apple, and Buena Vista Scooter have all been highly recommended on the disABILTIES forum. Check out the FAQs at the top of that forum for more information. Here is the link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

I broke down this last trip and rented a scooter offsite for the week. My plan was to use it at AK and Epcot.....walk at MK and HS. I walked at MK and ended up awake all night with pain in my back and knees ( the super hard mattress at POR didn't help.) So, I ended up using it most of the rest of the week...I walked around the resort and to DTD and did okay, I think mostly because of the pace and not having to stand for long periods.

I found the busses to be a real pain. Some drivers want you to back in, some to pull in.....I always asked, and they acted like I should have known. I waited for 1 hour and 45 minutes for a bus to Epcot...we missed rope drop, and my whole tour plan was almost blown for the day. We left the room at 8:00 for 9am RD....Got to the park at 10:10...5 full busses passed before I was able to board. We stopped at guest relations and they gave us a FP to use on Soarin' and my DP works for GM so we were saved on TT.

It was stressful dodging idiots....the horn on my scooter didn't work, probably a good thing.;)

I saw so many people limping around and I could tell they were hurting. Some of them even gave ME dirty looks...hmmmmm figure that one out.

There is no way I could have done all we did without the scooter, I would recommend one to anyone who is doubtful about being able to walk ALOT. i never need one in stores or around town. But, WDW is a whole different thing!

Both of my parents have a scooter of their own. Because they drive down they are able to bring their own scooters with them. My dad limps and needs the scooter because of problems and pain with his feet (like many diabetics). My mom uses one for lung issues. She can walk short distances and stand in shorter lines, but needs her scooter for general getting around the park.

I have seen people glare at her because they assume (I've heard the whispers too) that she should ditch the scooter because it's obvious she doesn't need one and could use the exercise (she is considerably overweight). I die just a bit each time I know my mom hears these things. Believe me, if she could...she would walk. Growing up my mom was the one that bought us season passes to Six Flags (near our home). We were seasonal campers, she was so active and full of life. She and my younger sister used to share clothes because they were both so skinny.

The lung disease she has is terminal. The doctor's told her 14 years ago she only had 5-7 years to live. I am thankful she is still her today. I am thankful for the meds that have kept her alive even if a side effect is that she's doubled in size. I am thankful for her scooter which allows her to live an independent life which includes visiting Disney with my kids and my sister's kids (her grandchildren). I am thrilled she will be returning this November to see her grandchildren (my neices) dance at Disney.

SO!!! If you require a scooter to make your trip easier... use it and ignore the idiots with their comments. Enjoy your trip. And if I see you around... I will be sure to smile and say 'hello'!!!

I try to be courteous to ECV & wheelchair users, because if our positions were reversed I'd want them to be courteous to me. I remember on our last trip to WDW we were exiting the gift shop after a ride (can't remember which one). It was so crowded & there was an older man in an ECV who was pretty much stuck because people just kept cutting in front of him as he tried to approach the door to exit. He eventually got out but I felt so bad for him. Just let the man get out the door! I really don't understand how the 3 minutes it might take for that ECV user to get out the door is going to impact someone's day so much that they need to cut in front of him to get out first.

When this happens to my mom, I engage my husband and my children (ages 7 to 19) to create an opening for my mom to get out. It's such a shame. I do believe some folks are rude, others are (I believe) just so absorbed that they don't even realize they are walking in front of the scooters.

After my open-heart surgery, DBF and I decided to rent a wheelchair for me for our trip to WDW. I was able to walk, but not distances, so we only rented them inside of the parks and in DTD.

I will admit that we did get a few less-than-magical looks while wheeling around, particularly when we were all bundled up (we went during those freezing weeks in December) and my scar was covered. Especially when we would park and walk around together, such as in one of the Epcot pavillions.

People meandering and stopping in front of the chair was another huge challenge. One of our frequent lines was "does the ground disappear after we roll over it?" since people seemed to be in a huge hurry to get RIGHT in front of us.

Despite this, we both agreed that the wheelchair was the best way for us to go for this trip. There's no way we would have been able to do even a fraction of everything we could, thanks to the mobility help.

My advice: go with what will make your trip the best possible for your situation. Don't pay any attention to what people may assume.

Okay, I'll announce it now. I'll be at WDW in May.

Herniated Disc L5-S1

Me + my ECV.

Thanks for all of your experiences.
I look forward to fun.

I can walk for less than 200 yards but I'll try.
I'll be on it and then I'll have my wife ride it a little so that I can get some excerise.

We won't give up! :upsidedow

with the 5 yr old who harrassed me the entire line. While his parents where happy he was occupied. "give me a ride, why are you riding that" etc......" The he wanted me to run over his foot and kept putting it out for me to run over. Not sure what was up with that.

Aw, don't be annoyed at him. There are so many kids who might just be weirded out and would whisper to their parents, and many people who would find *that* rude, wondering "why don't they just ask me?" So he was asking you. I think it's lovely that he was able to do that.

As for why he wanted you to run over his foot? He's a 5 year old boy. They are odd like that. My 6 year old still asks things like that..."step on my hand", "squeeze me tighter!" etc etc. Odd ducks, they are.

Of course, they do tend to ask the same questions over and over (and over) and over. So I can see where it would seem harassing but it's just normal for a kid that age.

Being a person with a "stern" face who gets her expression misinterpreted....I would say that many of the dirty looks people feel they are getting aren't looks at all. Just remember that everyone at Disney is tired to some extent, they are hot or cold, they have hours to go for the day or have been there for hours...the expression you're seeing on their face is expressing ALL of that, not just what they are seeing at that exact moment. And they might not be seeing you at all.

But since it's not fun to deal with any negativity, I'd recommend doing what I did when I was nursing DS in public...just don't look at faces. Yes you'll miss the smiles and the "I'm so glad you're using a scooter, I wish my aunt would so she could *enjoy* herself and not be in screaming pain" looks...but you'll also protect yourself and be able to have pure enjoyment.

:hug:

My experiences have been very positive with one major stresser. that is people walking in front of it and then stopping suddenly. You CANNOT STOP QUICKLY. I wish more people knew that, but you know in a park people stop all the time.

I've rented an ECV on three different trips, and this was the worst part of it: people darting in front of you! It happened over and over again on my last trip, and it was so frustrating! I'm doing my best to be courteous, but ECVs roll to a stop - they don't have "brakes." I was so afraid I was going to hit someone!

But other than that, I didn't encounter any rudeness from people (i.e. people making comments to me, etc.)

Originally Posted by Ava

When this happens to my mom, I engage my husband and my children (ages 7 to 19) to create an opening for my mom to get out. It's such a shame. I do believe some folks are rude, others are (I believe) just so absorbed that they don't even realize they are walking in front of the scooters.

I have been stuck in these "Eddies" with my scooter where I can't seem to enter the main stream of walking folks. Especially exiting a ride into a gift shop area. It is totally frustrating, but I don't seek any blame for it. I think it happens because my seated body is so much lower than the walking folks, that their eyes don't notice me on the sidelines. It helps to have someone with you to stop traffic for you. Or try holding your arm out at your side -- that sometimes gets people to notice you and pause.

I had to do it on two trips until I found a temporary miracle fix - Prednisone that I take for a week for my trip. I have pretty severe RA, have since I was 17. Like many others, I felt like everyone would stare at me on an ECV. But like others have said, it made the trip SO much better for my family. I was still aware of the questioning stares from other guests, so I always made sure I had my folding cane with me. So, if I got off the ECV to go through a line or shop, I was still limping! Silly, isn't it???

I refused to ride a bus with an ECV, though. I rented at a park. The one time we rented from an offsite company, we used our van and put it in the back.

But, my and my family's enjoyment SO FAR outweighs any stares or opinions. Please don't worry about what others will think, just do it if you need to.

Life is WAY too short to worry about other people's opinions. Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter