• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My ecv/scooter experience this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

casjen

DIS Veteran
I am recovering from a severely sprained foot and ankle so I needed an ECV for the week at Disney. I rented one offsite so it was much much smaller than the tanks Disney rents. Here are some of my thoughts and feedback on being on an ECV when I truly would have rather spent the week walking on my own 2 feet:

1. Please don't stare at me. Isn't the giant black walking cast on my leg and foot enough to explain why I am on the scooter? I don't stare you down, please don't do that to me.

2. If you choose to dart in front of a scooter in motion, you are choosing to possibly get run over. (for the record, I managed to stop every single time this happened and din't hit any one. But it was very stressful).

3. I am not lazy.

4. Cast members are so fabulous to someone who isn't fully mobile.

5. Almost every line can accomodate a scooter in the stand by line now. I just zipped along on my scooter. Unless I had a fastpass, then I zipped along in the fastpass line. (except for Fantasyland)

6. Put a giant black walking cast on your leg and you will meet tons more people than you ever have before. I got lots of "Skiing? Ice?" questions. I had to sheepishly answer "Nope, the stairs in my house". :) People will also come up and share their war stories about when they had a walking cast. It was fun chatting with new people.

7. I can hear you talking about me even when you think you're whispering. :thumbsup2

8. An ECV makes a long day at the parks easy on the legs but tough on the stress level. Never mind trying to drive an ECV at rope drop and watch 2 kids. :scared1: Or backing up out of the monorail while everyone grumbles and stares at you and walks right behind you. (stress!!)

8. Yes, there are TONS of horrible ecv drivers. I agree. But not all of us are out to run you over.

9. There were tons and tons of people on ECV's and in wheelchairs in the same walking cast as me! It must be a tough winter for everyone.

Thank you for reminding us that there is always two sides to every story. :thumbsup2

I hope you had a good trip otherwise.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have never used one. However, when we took my inlaws with us the last time it was very stressful for me and my DH. We had to continue to help watch out for him. You are so right about the people walking right in front of other in an EVC. They don't stop on a dime. He had a lot of trouble getting on and off the buses with his. My husband had to sometimes do it for him and I would help his dad onto the bus. Some peopleare so rude and inconsiderate to those who need an EVC. He would never have been able to enjoy the parks with his grand children without one. After a week with him in it one I have tried to be more aware of weather or not I am doing the rude things I saw others do and avoid doing them. Sorry you had to use one. Maybe your next trip will be with out one.

I rented one once after the 2nd surgery to remove pins from my leg, decided to break it sledding :thumbsup2

I understand, I felt really stupid the one day that I rented it that I decided to just walk and ice my leg every night :( I did not have the big walking cast on, actually this was the first time in over 3 months that I could walk again without it.....I didn't know you could get blisters bigger than your foot :scared1: I never tried to go through the line, since I could walk I just got out and did, didn't even see about a GAP because I felt i could do it ;)

The one extremely downside I encountered was DD was around 5 then and I felt really bad having to ride the ECV and she had to walk, she didn't understand why she couldn't ride. I did put her in my lap once to rest and did not move, but a nice CM came up and told me that sometimes they might take it away if the wrong CM saw her in my lap. Moving or not moving :( Since I rented it from WDW and they have liability I completely understood.

I do know that there are some ppl that choose to get one thinking they will get through lines faster :sad2: but I always don't think that is why they have one. That one day made me feel a lot more sympathy for those that have to have one for any reason what so ever. :hug:

The one extremely downside I encountered was DD was around 5 then and I felt really bad having to ride the ECV and she had to walk, she didn't understand why she couldn't ride. I did put her in my lap once to rest and did not move, but a nice CM came up and told me that sometimes they might take it away if the wrong CM saw her in my lap. Moving or not moving :( Since I rented it from WDW and they have liability I completely understood.

It is actually in the contract you signed that you would never allow a person under 18 to sit on the scooter, even if you are not moving. And more than one person is never allowed on the scooter for any reason at any time. That is also in the contract.

It is in the contract of every rental company in Orlando for that matter. I totally understand why it is difficult. I am a full time wheelchair user, and I have yet to figure out how to handle that and my nephew! It is difficult for sure, but I figured I should point out for people in general that it IS the rule for all wheeled vehicles like scooters - only one passenger at a time.

In March 2010, I went with my mother, who uses an electric wheelchair everyday due to severe, early onset arthritis. It was an eye-opening experience. Everything took so much longer (transport via the buses, navigating a very crowded park with a wheelchair, folks who walked/ran really fast so they could get to the queue entrance ahead of my mom, dirty looks when bus loading took so long). Thanks for reminding everyone that most in a scooter/wheelchair wish they could just walk, since it it so much less stressful to be "self propelled."

Wow I hate to read this. I have finally got the courage up to rent one in March because after 20 minutes of walking my knees become too painful. I do not have a cast so it sounds like I will be even more of a target. Last time even pain pills did not help and my husband rented me a wheelchair, but I hate asking him to push me around all day. I hope people are not rude to me, I was excited to think of going to Disney and not worrying about pain.

Wow I hate to read this. I have finally got the courage up to rent one in March because after 20 minutes of walking my knees become too painful. I do not have a cast so it sounds like I will be even more of a target. Last time even pain pills did not help and my husband rented me a wheelchair, but I hate asking him to push me around all day. I hope people are not rude to me, I was excited to think of going to Disney and not worrying about pain.

You should go and rent a scooter! Try not to worry about what other's think. We had some really great conversations with some young folks, since my mom was at eye level and has decorated her scooter. We bought stickers for her to hand out, and frazzled parents loved us while waiting in line!

My mom and I hope to go back for girls trip in fall of 2013, with her wheelchair. The wonderful memories we have from our last trip way overshadow a few unpleasant ones. :)

Rent the scooter, go on your trip and don't worry. One person's experience is not everyone's. Last year went with my folks, and my mom rented a scooter because of recent knee surgery. She did not experience any rudeness - at all - our whole trip. She was able to get around, pain free, and have a great time. :thumbsup2

Please ask yourself or the person with the need the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

I agree about the monorail. It's unfair for scooter/wheelchair people.

Any form of transportation is difficult with a wheelchair or scooter. I still havent found a way to transport my powerchair at home, and i've had it for a year!

I had foot surgery in July and had to rent a scooter for a trip to DL in August. I had the lovely "shoe" which looked like a sandle with a weird heel, not as obvious as a boot. I had to explain to a lot of people that it did not get me to the front of the line, and was very irritated with people who would dart in front of me when I slowed down to be courteous to walkers. I was dying to jam the scooter into somebody's heel, but I resisted the temptation.

I would have much rather have walked through the park and stood in line, but recent surgery made this impossible and dangerous to my recovery. It was frustrating and educational, but I was grateful for the option to rent a scooter and still be able to go on our trip. I never would have made it on crutches, or hobbling on my "special shoe."

Live and learn...

Haha.....I am so glad I am not the only one who had an issue with my stairs! Last year I fell up my steps and ended up with a Liss-franc fracture that needed surgery. I couldn't put weight on it for 9 weeks. I ended up renting a scooter for 2 of my trips to Disney. So many of your observations are true! I traveled by myself, so there were times that it was very difficult to try and open doors, etc.

The absolute worst times were getting on the buses....I felt like everyone was starring at you!!! Many also resented you getting on the bus first.

I have used an ECV several times due a herniated disc problem that reoccurs sometimes - and other times because my back prevents me from exercising enough at times that all the walking is painful and exhausting. I have had people ask me about using it when I would get out to buy something or get in a ride line. They would say they have been trying to get their older family members to use one. My experiences have been very positive with one major stresser. that is people walking in front of it and then stopping suddenly. You CANNOT STOP QUICKLY. I wish more people knew that, but you know in a park people stop all the time. You just have to be alert and not talk gate! LOL!

If I were not always trying to get in as much exercise as I can I would ride one all the time. Seriously. A. You just are not that tired at night if you use one - and at age 64, that is an issue. B. you have a basket to carry stuff!!! C. You have a place to sit down all the time. And D. you never have to worry about cross-crossing the park because the ECV will carry you through. Lovey inventions!

If I were not always trying to get in as much exercise as I can I would ride one all the time. Seriously. A. You just are not that tired at night if you use one - and at age 64, that is an issue. B. you have a basket to carry stuff!!! C. You have a place to sit down all the time. And D. you never have to worry about cross-crossing the park because the ECV will carry you through. Lovey inventions!

Thank you for not using one when you do not need it for medical reasons! It actually makes things harder for those of us who really do need our wheels.

What most people do not realize is that there can only be a certain number of wheelchair-users on a ride at any one time for safety reasons. That number is usually 2 or perhaps 3. Also, since most lines are mainstreamed, we wait in the regular line and THEN in ANOTHER line with other wheelchair users. There are also only a very limited number of wheelchair/scooter spots for shows, so it is not uncommon to be turned away from shows (especially Tiki room) even when able-bodied people can get in.

Just tonight I was in DL and had to wait for 4 trains to go by before I could get on. everyone else was able to get on the first train. One of them did not load me even though the wheelchair spot was empty simply because they did not want to. They checked, lied to me by telling me it was full, and then kept going.

Life is not easy for us wheeled-travelers. I really do appreciate when people who know they do not need the scooter refrain from using one!

I am in NO way saying that people who need it, even for just part of a trip or part of a day, should not use it. Wheels are absolutely essential and can reduce pain and stress for many people. When I first started using my wheelchair, I only used it for part of hte day! At other times, my sister (who has separate issues) sat in it and I pushed her, using it as a walker. I am certain it looked weird, but it was what we needed!

My DH (age 64) uses a scooter at the parks due to severe osteoporosis and fractures. In the past few years, he doesn't use one until we get to the park--thank heaven! I HATED him using the ECV for the buses-people give you dirty looks for "holding up the line" and getting on first.Many times we had to wait for another bus because the bus was already at ECV capacity. It's miserable. Being on an ECV in the parks on a crowded day is horrible--people just barge in front and cut you off. If you're on an ECV, count on getting the orst seats in the back on many attractions as well. ECVs are no joy ride--the basket is nice for carrying things, though lol.

I am hoping this will not be me in May. I was diagnosed with Malenoma and have to have surgery on my lower leg. The spot is the size of a fingernail but they have to remove a spot the size of a tennis ball, take a skin graph from my hip and go into the lymph node below my knee and groin area. I will be hospitilized for 3 days then flat in bed for 2-3 weeks then on crutches.Then who knows if its chemo or radiation after that. this all happens on March 16th. My vacation is in May I hope I can walk able bodied by then. I am not very good at driving a 4-wheeler I will be stressed out if people walk in front of me alot.

There was a lady at walmart shopping one day who asked me to grab something for her and I ended up going through the store and shopping with her for a few hours :scared1: I didn't want to ask her why she was in an ECV but she eventually told me that she is just too big to walk through the big store. I enjoyed that day at walmart - one in a million :lmao: I will be sure to be respectful of those at Disney

I am hoping this will not be me in May. I was diagnosed with Malenoma and have to have surgery on my lower leg. The spot is the size of a fingernail but they have to remove a spot the size of a tennis ball, take a skin graph from my hip and go into the lymph node below my knee and groin area. I will be hospitilized for 3 days then flat in bed for 2-3 weeks then on crutches.Then who knows if its chemo or radiation after that. this all happens on March 16th. My vacation is in May I hope I can walk able bodied by then. I am not very good at driving a 4-wheeler I will be stressed out if people walk in front of me alot.

Good luck with the surgery! I hope you have a long and healthy life

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter