Must-have foods ...

txaggie94gigem said:
hey....where do i get mickey shaped sourdough bread? i love sourdough but it is just not as good here as it is in california!!! :coffee:

You can get the sourdough bread in DCA at the Pacific Warf Cafe. Sometimes they'll even have a cart set out by the park entrance near closing time, under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Also, you can have it shipped home when you're not at Disney. Not a Mickey loaf, but still the same good bread. Its made by Boudin's Bakery, a San Francisco based company. www.boudinbakery.com or 800-992-1849.

I know what you mean about it not being as good elsewhere. My mother used to have to take a bunch of sourdough back to Okalahoma with her when she visited her family. Her sister tried and tried, but could never make "that good ol' California sourdough" as she would call it.

I know what you mean about it not being as good elsewhere. My mother used to have to take a bunch of sourdough back to Okalahoma with her when she visited her family. Her sister tried and tried, but could never make "that good ol' California sourdough" as she would call it.

It's because of the naturally occuring yeast that's native to the San Francisco Bay Area. Only place in the world those little buggers thrive.

When we go we must have:

Turkey leg for DH
Fish Tacos for DH
Churro for DS
Cotton Candy for both kids
Dole whips for all
Fritters with apple dipping sauce
Everything at the Bengal BBQ
Mint Julep for me
Pop corn from the carts
Choc covered caramel bar on a stick
and of course we all share a slice of the Chocolate cake while we watch the Billy Hill Show!

denyd said:
It's because of the naturally occuring yeast that's native to the San Francisco Bay Area. Only place in the world those little buggers thrive.

Well, not quite. :) You can transport a sourdough starter to any climate that's not too cold or too dry. The tricky part is growing one from scratch. Once it's alive, you can keep it going without too much effort. (Warm and moist is the trick- the top of your fridge is ideal. Ever notice how bread molds quicker up there?)

cryssi said:
corn dog
churro
popcorn
NOS fritters
MM ice cream bar
cinnamon roll from BRB
mickey sourdough bread
beignets from jazz kitchen

um...can I skip work and go now? LOL

Hi, first post here at the DL forums. I frequent the DCL forums typically, but am going to DL at the end of April for DD's birthday, for only the 3rd time ever. DH grew up in SoCal just 10 minutes from DL so he knows it quite well.

I absolutely LOVE beignets and must now make it my mission to hunt them down. I'm looking at the menus at another site as well as Disneyland.com's restaurant list and can't find anywhere called "Jazz Kitchen". Is it just a cart that is only open during the peak season?

I've been to WDW more than DL, but the foods that can't be missed at ANY Disney park for me are the Turkey legs, Mickey bars, the Dole Whips and the salt water taffy. For some reason, I really like their salt water taffy and I was raised on NJ shore taffy. Hehe.

It is actually Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Down Town Disney at DLR. You can get them from the quick pick up window there. :teeth:

Churro said:
It is actually Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Down Town Disney at DLR. You can get them from the quick pick up window there. :teeth:

Oh thank you! I now have to make a special run to DTD to get some! :teeth:

The one thing we love about Disneyland is the churros, took us till the last night on our first visit to try one and we loved them, wished we'd tried them sooner.
Our last visit was for 4 weeks and we just couldn't eat enough of them, we came home looking like a couple of churros...lol.
When we went to WDW, we were disappointed not to find them there as we love the smell of the churros as you walk round the park.
We have churros when we go to Spain, but they are not the same.
Love Ella

GhostlyHitchhiker said:
Hi, first post here at the DL forums. I frequent the DCL forums typically, but am going to DL at the end of April for DD's birthday, for only the 3rd time ever. DH grew up in SoCal just 10 minutes from DL so he knows it quite well.

I absolutely LOVE beignets and must now make it my mission to hunt them down. I'm looking at the menus at another site as well as Disneyland.com's restaurant list and can't find anywhere called "Jazz Kitchen". Is it just a cart that is only open during the peak season?

I've been to WDW more than DL, but the foods that can't be missed at ANY Disney park for me are the Turkey legs, Mickey bars, the Dole Whips and the salt water taffy. For some reason, I really like their salt water taffy and I was raised on NJ shore taffy. Hehe.

I think they're referring Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, a restaurant in Downtown Disney.

What ONLY one mention of CORN DOGS??????????

Have you all even been to Disneyland?

I love Dole Whips, found just inside the entrance to Adventureland. I also liked the root beer floats sold near the entrance of Paradise Pier at California Adventure.

Ella1 said:
The one thing we love about Disneyland is the churros, took us till the last night on our first visit to try one and we loved them, wished we'd tried them sooner.
Our last visit was for 4 weeks and we just couldn't eat enough of them, we came home looking like a couple of churros...lol.
When we went to WDW, we were disappointed not to find them there as we love the smell of the churros as you walk round the park.
We have churros when we go to Spain, but they are not the same.
Love Ella

On your next visit to WDW you will find yummy churros in AK as you enter Africa from the main hub. They are in a small stand on the right.

We only went to AK once and didn't see them but it was early in the morning and we left by noon.
Sorry to say, there won't be another visist to WDW as we didn't like it very much, we prefer California!!!!
Love Ella

hlbtimes2 said:
Clam chowder in a bread bowl.

A dole whip is a soft serve pineapple dessert- sort of like a soft pineapple sorbet, sold at the tiki room. You can also get it as a float, which is the soft serve and pineapple juice.

These are my favs. Had the Dole whip first time in HI at their plantation. I was so excited when DLR had it.

ah yes, I should have specified "Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen" ... :) don't forget your cafe au lait with your beignets as well...

I also must add my vote for the Mint Julep...yum! DH thinks they taste like carbonated toothpaste, but I say more for me then...

Mickey shaped Rice Krispie Treats dipped in white chocolate and Mickey sprinkles. :thumbsup2

Mom2micayla said:
Mmm those Tiger Tails sounds yummy. I'm sure my kids will love it. I'll have to get one on our trip. :)

Where are the Mickey Pretzels that everyone is talking about?

For us, we always get the gumbo from the Royal Street Veranda. Churros are also another tradition. I love the Dole Whips too but we don't get them that often because the lines are usually so long.

Mickey Pretzels are at some carts and they are also on main street @ Coke Corner (CM told me that:) )

I Absoultly L:lovestrucVE the ft long corn dogs in Main Street.

And I also love these: :mickeybar

Food at Disneyland======YUMMY!!!

If it has been too long between visits we talk about the food!!! Also need to go enough days to fit it all in! :teeth:

For my DH it is the French Market Jambalya, Pork at BB, Mickey Bars, corndogs, chimichanga's, and cookies at Marcelines.

For my DS it is fritters in NOS, churros, popcorn, free tortilla's and bread at DCA and mickey nuggets.

For me it is pecan pancakes at Carnation Cafe, carmel apples at Marcelines, mardi gras salad and monte cristo at BB and soo much more.

Our little DD is making her first visit in April at six months old so hopefully she will be through some solids and ready to try something fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter