Moving to/living in Orlando

Best of luck! If you have any questions regarding an address I can help make sure it’s in a good area. That’s the tricky thing about Orlando- areas that look nice on Google maps can actually be high crime areas, and some of these are so close to good areas.

Best of luck! If you have any questions regarding an address I can help make sure it’s in a good area. That’s the tricky thing about Orlando- areas that look nice on Google maps can actually be high crime areas, and some of these are so close to good areas.
I’ll let you know! Probably not until after Dh has his interview and hears back

OP, on the bright side, you won't have to worry about commuting to work through snow!!!!
Omg that's ALWAYS a bright side! We got a bunch of snow last night and it covered up the slush/ice already on the roads. We live in a culdesac and the plows just think it's okay not to come down and plow. It's terrible. We keep joking that we didn't know we needed a jeep to live in the midwest.

How necessary is a pool? I’ve been specifically looking for houses with either their own pool or a neighborhood pool and Dh isn’t convinced we need one near us.

On our October trip, we drove to Winter Garden looked around and also saw Windermere very briefly for future retirement. Thought both areas were very convenient to Disney and the airport which will be important when our adult kids fly in as well as us flying out of MCO. I have been doing research now for over a year and both areas seem to have a lot of what we are looking for. We will rent a home or townhome for at least a year, perhaps more to really get a "lay of the land" to ensure we like the area. If not, somewhere in the Tampa metro will be our 2nd choice. We didn't find the traffic a problem. I have been on Zillow for over a year researching both rental prices and sale prices in various subdivisions which are of interest. The subdivision in Winter Garden, n like Waterleigh has peaked our interest; gorgeous pool and clubhouse, close to golf for DH, like some of the one floor living designs. Hoping to rent there to really get a feel fort he community. We will be continuing our research on our upcoming August trip.:banana::goodvibes

How necessary is a pool? I’ve been specifically looking for houses with either their own pool or a neighborhood pool and Dh isn’t convinced we need one near us.
Do you have children? DH has never wanted our own pool in any of our houses we have owned, but can't imagine living in Florida without a pool, even if you don't have children. Imo, having a pool in your subdivision will add to selling your home in the future. We never lived in a neighborhood with a pool in NJ(not that popular), but instead joined town pools, etc and private pool clubs when the kids were growing up. It was fabulous, was an opportunity for the boys to see their friends in the summer and we considered it a social opportunity for us as well.

If he will be working on Sand Lake, check out Dr. Phillips, Ocoee, Windermere, Gotha and Winter Garden. He really won't want to battle I-4 on a daily basis. Most highways are toll roads. If you decide on any of the above, he won't need to take a highway. You might also check out Clermont. It's a bit further, but nice and not nearly as far as Lake Nona.

I live in Windermere. It's about a 10 minute drive from my house to Sand Lake. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.
Many that I have spoken to have mentioned Dr. Phillips. Interesting, from my research, it seems that a lot of the homes/rentals are older than Winter Garden and Windermere.:scratchin Is that correct?:confused: A lot of the homes/rentals seem higher priced and more dated compared to WG and Windermere. Thanks in advance for any input on Dr.Phillips.:wave2:

Many that I have spoken to have mentioned Dr. Phillips. Interesting, from my research, it seems that a lot of the homes/rentals are older than Winter Garden and Windermere.:scratchin Is that correct?:confused: A lot of the homes/rentals seem higher priced and more dated compared to WG and Windermere. Thanks in advance for any input on Dr.Phillips.:wave2:

Dr. Phillips is way more established and upscale than the new parts of Windermere and Winter Garden. It’s a great area with tons of restaurants and shopping (Sand Lake Rd. is known as “Restaurant Row” in Dr. Phillips), and it’s located close to a lot of entertainment. You won’t get the same bang for your buck in DP, and because it’s a very desirable area and it’s mostly built up, new constriction there starts at about $650-$700k for a SFH.

New Windermere and Winter Garden are way newer and don’t quite have the amenities (or reputation) that DP does, and it can feel like you live far from everything. DP is less isolated and has way more shopping (multiple Publix, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Fresh Market) and dining options.

Do you have children? DH has never wanted our own pool in any of our houses we have owned, but can't imagine living in Florida without a pool, even if you don't have children. Imo, having a pool in your subdivision will add to selling your home in the future. We never lived in a neighborhood with a pool in NJ(not that popular), but instead joined town pools, etc and private pool clubs when the kids were growing up. It was fabulous, was an opportunity for the boys to see their friends in the summer and we considered it a social opportunity for us as well.
We currently don’t have any kids so I think having our own pool would be nice because we wouldn’t have to worry about anyone falling in just yet or things like that. It’s very possibly we would move again before having kids. I loved having a neighborhood pool as a kid. We met so many friends there and had pool parties. Dh has only lived in the Midwest and pools are scarce here. Mainly just town pools

Dr. Phillips is way more established and upscale than the new parts of Windermere and Winter Garden. It’s a great area with tons of restaurants and shopping (Sand Lake Rd. is known as “Restaurant Row” in Dr. Phillips), and it’s located close to a lot of entertainment. You won’t get the same bang for your buck in DP, and because it’s a very desirable area and it’s mostly built up, new constriction there starts at about $650-$700k for a SFH.

New Windermere and Winter Garden are way newer and don’t quite have the amenities (or reputation) that DP does, and it can feel like you live far from everything. DP is less isolated and has way more shopping (multiple Publix, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Fresh Market) and dining options.
I like dp because of the older houses. We found some great options around 300-350k. Having the shopping and dining options would be a huge plus as well.

We currently don’t have any kids so I think having our own pool would be nice because we wouldn’t have to worry about anyone falling in just yet or things like that. It’s very possibly we would move again before having kids. I loved having a neighborhood pool as a kid. We met so many friends there and had pool parties. Dh has only lived in the Midwest and pools are scarce here. Mainly just town pools
Your move sounds EXCITING!:goodvibes We have had several homes in our almost 36 years of marriage and have done well selling all of them thankfully! Before our kids, we bought one of the smallest homes on the block, to get into a great neighborhood with excellent schools. I firmly believe that even as retirees buying in a town with excellent schools will help keep the price of the house up and will appreciate. Location and schools is what we look for. We will again focus on communities with excellent schools, good accessibility to stores, and be within an easy drive to WDW(hoping to be within 30 minutes MAX). IMO, be careful about purchasing a home with a backyard home; not all buyers want a pool, may limit your buyer pool when you sell. Additionally, when you have children, you may feel differently about having a backyard pool. Community pool is a great amenity; leave the "headache" and pool maintenance expenses to someone else! ::yes::

Your move sounds EXCITING!:goodvibes We have had several homes in our almost 36 years of marriage and have done well selling all of them thankfully! Before our kids, we bought one of the smallest homes on the block, to get into a great neighborhood with excellent schools. I firmly believe that even as retirees buying in a town with excellent schools will help keep the price of the house up and will appreciate. Location and schools is what we look for. We will again focus on communities with excellent schools, good accessibility to stores, and be within an easy drive to WDW(hoping to be within 30 minutes MAX). IMO, be careful about purchasing a home with a backyard home; not all buyers want a pool, may limit your buyer pool when you sell. Additionally, when you have children, you may feel differently about having a backyard pool. Community pool is a great amenity; leave the "headache" and pool maintenance expenses to someone else! ::yes::
Our house is decent sized for a starter home. It’s just over 2,000 sq ft and it’s by a really good school. We live in a culdesac and our road is the only part of the street (it doesn’t continue in the other direction). I’m thinking a neighborhood pool might be better like you said but since we don’t have kids yet maybe we want our own pool? I’m not sure what we will decide

As a semi retiree, we want to purchase in a area with excellent schools but don't necessarily need the tippy top of "reputation"...Been there, done that, and we paid for that, priorities change when you retire, schools will preserve our investment, but at our stage, not wrapped up in being in the best, most desirable area for reputation; not willing to pay for that anymore. We still are thinking that a mixed age development might be better than a 55 and over. Like seeing a variety of ages, love seeing young families, and will be young semi retirees....not sure if the 55 and over is right for us. Will begin by renting in a mixed community and see if we like it, if not, maybe the following year before we purchase we can snag a rental in a 55+.

,,As a semi retiree, we want to purchase in a area with excellent schools but don't necessarily need the tippy top of "reputation"...Been there, done that, and we paid for that, priorities change when you retire, schools will preserve our investment, but at our stage, not wrapped up in being in the best, most desirable area for reputation; not willing to pay for that anymore. We still are thinking that a mixed age development might be better than a 55 and over. Like seeing a variety of ages, love seeing young families, and will be young semi retirees....not sure if the 55 and over is right for us. Will begin by renting in a mixed community and see if we like it, if not, maybe the following year before we purchase we can snag a rental in a 55+.
For schools in central Florida you want to be in the Winter Park school district. As far as pools there were summers that my children or any of us infact did not use the pool. It becomes very easy to become bored with it. Pools can help and hinder resell. Get a house with a pool if you want a pool. Not to resell later. My last house in the Winter Park area took about half a day to sell. Never put up a sign. The people across the street the same thing at the same time. That’s the premier school district to be in. It’s also close to the three best private high schools.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this thread or not, but Dh just found out he got an interview in Orlando. The office he thinks he would be at is near sand lake. Does anyone know this area well? If we have to move we obviously want to live in a safe area with good schools and we don’t really know what that area is like at all.

Anyone live in Orlando that can give us some insight?
You mentioned that DH is interviewing for a position. Will you be working also? Will it be difficult for you to secure a position?:confused:

For schools in central Florida you want to be in the Winter Park school district. As far as pools there were summers that my children or any of us infact did not use the pool. It becomes very easy to become bored with it. Pools can help and hinder resell. Get a house with a pool if you want a pool. Not to resell later. My last house in the Winter Park area took about half a day to sell. Never put up a sign. The people across the street the same thing at the same time. That’s the premier school district to be in. It’s also close to the three best private high schools.
Are you saying you did have a pool and it was still easy to sell?

You mentioned that DH is interviewing for a position. Will you be working also? Will it be difficult for you to secure a position?:confused:
I’m a substitute teacher for elementary so I should be fine getting a position anywhere. Getting a full time position depends on availability and if I like the school

Yes. The other house did not.
Huh okay. I think we will probably pick which ever house works best, regardless if it has a pool or not. But that’s good to know that it might not be a factor when selling further down the road. I would rather have some grass and a nice house though than a pool. As long as my neighborhood has a pool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter