Moving to/living in Orlando

Haley R

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this thread or not, but Dh just found out he got an interview in Orlando. The office he thinks he would be at is near sand lake. Does anyone know this area well? If we have to move we obviously want to live in a safe area with good schools and we don’t really know what that area is like at all.

Anyone live in Orlando that can give us some insight?

Last edited:

Maybe I looked up the wrong place? It’s showing up as 48 minutes on my phone

Going based on my DH’s driving via 417. Your mileage may vary depending on starting and ending points.

Hopefully you will get other suggestions. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this thread or not, but Dh just found out he got an interview in Orlando. The office he thinks he would be at is near UCF and in Alafaya. Does anyone know this area well? If we have to move we obviously want to live in a safe area with good schools and we don’t really know what that area is like at all.

Anyone live in Orlando that can give us some insight?
Yes I have a house in that area. I can see the UCF football stadium lights infact. It’s a very very cogested area. Not sure what else you would like to know.

Yes I have a house in that area. I can see the UCF football stadium lights infact. It’s a very very cogested area. Not sure what else you would like to know.
Dh was looking at the wrong office. It looks like we will be by sand lake. Do you know where that is?

Going based on my DH’s driving via 417. Your mileage may vary depending on starting and ending points.

Hopefully you will get other suggestions. Good luck.
Dh was wrong. The office is actually by sand lake. Way on the other side of Orlando

Yes. Closer to Disney. Near to International Dr. Another very congested area. Gridlock at times actually.
Not much we could do about it though since that’s where he would work. We wouldn’t mind being so close to Disney but he probably would need to live pretty close to work so he doesn’t have to deal with as much traffic. I read Windermere is nice. I haven’t looked how far that is

Not much we could do about it though since that’s where he would work. We wouldn’t mind being so close to Disney but he probably would need to live pretty close to work so he doesn’t have to deal with as much traffic. I read Windermere is nice. I haven’t looked how far that is
Bay Hill is nice. That’s close by. I never cared for Windermere but many people do. Be go back and forth from Canada every few weeks. In Canada now. We also have a place right in the city and are coming back next week. The whole area is getting too busy. My wife doesn’t like to stay more than a few weeks at a time.

Bay Hill is nice. That’s close by. I never cared for Windermere but many people do. Be go back and forth from Canada every few weeks. In Canada now. We also have a place right in the city and are coming back next week. The whole area is getting too busy. My wife doesn’t like to stay more than a few weeks at a time.
We’ll look into bay hill too. Thanks for the info! I expect it to be pretty busy. We live in a smaller city in the midwest and it’ll be so different in Orlando, but this is dh’s dream job and I will deal with traffic and busy to give that to him

What do you not care for at Windermere?

If he will be working on Sand Lake, check out Dr. Phillips, Ocoee, Windermere, Gotha and Winter Garden. He really won't want to battle I-4 on a daily basis. Most highways are toll roads. If you decide on any of the above, he won't need to take a highway. You might also check out Clermont. It's a bit further, but nice and not nearly as far as Lake Nona.

I live in Windermere. It's about a 10 minute drive from my house to Sand Lake. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Bay Hill is nice and close, but very expensive. Personally, I love living in Windermere. It's close to Disney, Universal and Sea World. While right on Disney's doorstep, we have no problem with tourists. The area has no tourist traps, so they have no need to come our way. They tend to go toward Kissimmee and Celebration. Hwy 192 is tourist central.

I will warn you that all areas of Orlando have seen significant growth in the past few years. The infrastructure is having a hard time keeping up with the growth. This means heavy traffic, over crowded schools and generally busy shopping areas. Still a great place to live.

We’ll look into bay hill too. Thanks for the info! I expect it to be pretty busy. We live in a smaller city in the midwest and it’ll be so different in Orlando, but this is dh’s dream job and I will deal with traffic and busy to give that to him

I also came from the Midwest. I live in a small town in northern Iowa until I was 13 and we moved to Kansas City. I lived there until 2004 when we moved to Windermere. I don't miss those Midwest winters at all! lol. What part of the Midwest do you call home?

If he will be working on Sand Lake, check out Dr. Phillips, Ocoee, Windermere, Gotha and Winter Garden. He really won't want to battle I-4 on a daily basis. Most highways are toll roads. If you decide on any of the above, he won't need to take a highway. You might also check out Clermont. It's a bit further, but nice and not nearly as far as Lake Nona.

I live in Windermere. It's about a 10 minute drive from my house to Sand Lake. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.
His work would be to the east of highway 4 and near the sea life museum. Kind of in that area. Would he have to use I-4 to get from that area to Windermere? Seems like he might but I really don’t know. Thanks for your input though! It’s greatly appreciated!
Bay Hill is nice and close, but very expensive. Personally, I love living in Windermere. It's close to Disney, Universal and Sea World. While right on Disney's doorstep, we have no problem with tourists. The area has no tourist traps, so they have no need to come our way. They tend to go toward Kissimmee and Celebration. Hwy 192 is tourist central.

I will warn you that all areas of Orlando have seen significant growth in the past few years. The infrastructure is having a hard time keeping up with the growth. This means heavy traffic, over crowded schools and generally busy shopping areas. Still a great place to live.
I love that you’re able to provide me with first hand knowledge because we honestly won’t have any idea unless we go down and tour around. I’m a teacher so the overcrowding of schools bothers me a bit. Do you know how many kids are generally in a classroom at the elementary level? If not it’s okay

I live in the Windermere/Winter Garden/Ocoee area, and I grew up and lived in Dr. Phillips for years. I love this whole area and think it’s a wonderful place to live. He wouldn’t need to take any highways to get to work.

His work would be to the east of highway 4 and near the sea life museum. Kind of in that area. Would he have to use I-4 to get from that area to Windermere? Seems like he might but I really don’t know. Thanks for your input though! It’s greatly appreciated!

I love that you’re able to provide me with first hand knowledge because we honestly won’t have any idea unless we go down and tour around. I’m a teacher so the overcrowding of schools bothers me a bit. Do you know how many kids are generally in a classroom at the elementary level? If not it’s okay

He shouldn't have to take the highways. It is actually very easy to get to the area where the sea life museum (I-Drive) from this area.

I don't know the exact teacher/student ratio. It used to be 1:20, but I've heard it is much higher in some schools. The good news is that they are building new schools as fast as they can. A new middle school will open just down the street from my home next year and they are starting a new elementary school about a half mile away very soon.

When we first moved here, my daughter was in an English class that had 53 students. They did hire another teacher fairly quickly, but it was really insane for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter